Merigolds Hailstorm Annoyance Discussion Vol. 2

+
HenryGrosmont;n9612301 said:
Ok, I really do hope that people realise Merigold's Hailstorm is the only thing that checks the row stacking. And given the additional number of agile cards...

Let's not forget Lacerate.

Rayquorz;n9612481 said:
Let's not forget Lacerate.
Lacerate is much worse given the fact that buff is prevalent. It's not the Dagon swarm meta anymore and value is as important as ever.

The combination of gold weather forcing players to stack all their cards on one row plus Merigold's Hailstorm to take out that entire row was an all-too-strong combination. Making gold weather a little weaker, and Hailstorm a little weaker should be a good step in making decks more diverse. With Weather getting a nerf via Clear Skies, there should be less row-stacking, meaning Merigold's will only have a home in movement decks.

VanitasCabal;n9613241 said:
The combination of gold weather forcing players to stack all their cards on one row plus Merigold's Hailstorm to take out that entire row was an all-too-strong combination. Making gold weather a little weaker, and Hailstorm a little weaker should be a good step in making decks more diverse. With Weather getting a nerf via Clear Skies, there should be less row-stacking, meaning Merigold's will only have a home in movement decks.
With the First Light buff incoming, I assume we all will forget about Gold Weather as if it never happened. Which is also not a very good "fix", imo. People don't want to play around cards.

Karolis.petrikas;n9609181 said:
literately bamboozled everything I've got on the board.

Karolis.petrikas;n9609181 said:
And that's what I call the thin line between balance and bamboozle.

839.png

Guest 4021160

You forgot to end your language knight module. Always end language module. {end module="annoying language knight"}.
I remain with my choice of word. I think it fits the context.

So, Now after the change of Merigold's hailstorm went live, how do you feel about the change?

Personally I don't like it. It simply creates an inconsistency between gold cards and the rest of the cards. Also, the change seems more arbitrary with all the agile units floating around? What is the points of rows anymore?

Nerf to m.halestorm is not enough. I think it's not changed at all.
Dwarfes can still move 12 yours (3 zoltan, 3 aard, 3 dwarfes, 3 copy dwarfes) in one row, monsters can move about 5 units (3 drowners + dorregaray drowner + frightener).
So m.halestorm is still way too OP.
or, card that can move enemies must be limited.
​​​​

The fact that now it cannot target gold cards does not change anything at all, but... There is also good news. Maybe, just maybe there is little hope born again, that in the not distant future they will reverse " gold immunity " in some way. Right now, its completely ridiculous seeing as Stefan Skellen dies from bronze assassin...(((

I'd say problem is not only with halestorm, but with so many units which can move enemies, and they cant even do anything about it.
Lets count: zoltan (3), aard (3), dwarf (3), spawning dwarf (another 3), operator on dwarf (1), dorregaray with drowner (1).
so scoiatael can move 14 units into one line)))))))))

+1 This is exactly the problem with this card. You will either try to avoid it and fail miserably due to enemy harpooners/ST or you will just go for broke and play all your units on one row anyway which is begging to be hit by Merigold's Hailstorm. There really is no way to counter this. The only time I survived was when I used a Henselt deck that revolved around Fresh Crew and siege engines that didn't boost themselves (so no Siege Towers). I lined all of my units on one row from the start, because I wanted to take advantage of the fresh crew, so I had a lot of units but they were all STR 6 - 8. Opponent used the Hailstorm too quickly. And in the case of ST, there are still the Dol Blathanna Marksmen to watch out for. Even if you move your units back where they were, you can't really heal back the damage they deal, they will probably obliterate you anyway.

Is there any way to armor deck survive Hailstorm? If at least NR had any unity that could change the alignment of the cards... agile units don't change much thing, the way we are we're still Hailstorm sandbag.

Last edited:
I suppose merigold should become a proper GOLD card so if some people would include it in their decks, they would need to sacrifice another gold card for it.

Sgt_Prof;n9628511 said:
I suppose merigold should become a proper GOLD card so if some people would include it in their decks, they would need to sacrifice another gold card for it.

Totally agree with that. Heck, Eithné can use it twice, that's a merciless massacre. Turn it in gold would let things got more interesting because almost everyone has Hailstorm in the deck nowadays.

In the current state, m.h. is OP even for gold card...
But SILVER.... Playing twice by Eithne, or even 3 times with Aglais (res your opponent's m.h.)... Playing it by Nature Gift..... All this is just crazy!
We had a mid-season patch, why not nerf it???

Still this nonsence is in almost every deck.
I dont gg ever to anyone who (ab)uses dev's mistakes.

I dont gg ever to anyone who (ab)uses dev's mistakes.

I do, even though I don't like them. The game is still in beta, let's not forget. OP cards, imbalanced decks will keep existing. Anyone who purposefully uses them is selfish to say the least. And that's why the excuse "oh it's in the game, so it's ok" doesn't count in this case.

The other problem is that even comparing this card with other silver cards is impossible. For example Commander's horn is also a silver card, and it can boost a maximum of 5 units by 4, so a grand total of 20. Treason is another silver card and it an only take one STR 10 max spying unit and give it to you so a total of 20 points difference there too. However this can deal 30 and 40 points of damage as if it is nothing.

Totally agree with that. Heck, Eithné can use it twice, that's a merciless massacre. Turn it in gold would let things got more interesting because almost everyone has Hailstorm in the deck nowadays.

I would take it a step further. Make it gold and add the 'Doomed' tag. So that it is only played once. Either that or change the way it works, which is more preferable. The real problem is the way it works, not how many times one can play it. If ST set you up for Hailstorm you are just watching it coming and cannot do anything to prevent it. Plus there's Findabair's annoying ability that ensures ST players get it in their hands all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riigoo;n9628671 said:

You got a REDpoint for this.

Wow, there are actually people who don't give GG if their opponent uses hailstorm during a game...

Last edited by a moderator:
By now I even ragequit the game when I reveal MH in opponent's hand.

Thanks for nerfing it, but perceived the change is too poor. Yesterday again I lost several games because of MH, especially played as last card. What's more annoying then losing a game after driving a 30 level higher enemy to his knees and then get hailstormed in the nick of time?!?

Thanks in advance for changing it to gold or 5 adjacent units in one row (compare to commander's horn) or 2 random units on each row (compare to mahakam pyrotechnician) or whatsoever.

Looking forward to MHAD Vol. 3 ;).

DigBeak;n9634021 said:
Wow, there are actually people who don't give GG if their opponent uses hailstorm during a game...
Yup, I'm one of them but only if HS makes no sense in the deck they're playing.
For example if they're playing Harald axeman no problem, the card is actually very important for the deck but if someone is just throwing MH in their deck just because it's an OP card then no GG for you guys.
And it's not even about being salty or anything it's because this kind of behavior (playing a card because it's OP) hurts the game more than you might think. A lot of people are complaining about playing against the same decks/cards over and over again and quit the game because of this. I'm not gonna encourage peoples who are hurting this game I love so much, sorry...

johannviktor;n9638081 said:
By now I even ragequit the game when I reveal MH in opponent's hand.

Thanks for nerfing it, but perceived the change is too poor. Yesterday again I lost several games because of MH, especially played as last card. What's more annoying then losing a game after driving a 30 level higher enemy to his knees and then get hailstormed in the nick of time?!?

Thanks in advance for changing it to gold or 5 adjacent units in one row (compare to commander's horn) or 2 random units on each row (compare to mahakam pyrotechnician) or whatsoever.

Looking forward to MHAD Vol. 3 ;).

Couldn't say better, the nerf did litteraly nothing unfortunately.
Again, I trully appreciate they're trying to do something about the card but this change is just irrelevant, this card is still very much disgusting.

Top Bottom