restore nerf

+
restore nerf

was it really appropriate to refer to a change that removes the viability of a deck as not a big change? it is somewhat insulting to be thrown out of the game and then be told that it's not a big deal.

the discard pirate deck was the only deck i played on a regular basis and the only deck i have completely put together. giving me the scrap for one card is not going to let me make another deck to replace it with. i just started the game and invested $50 for kegs to build the deck. if this is a sign of volatility in the game then i'm not likely to invest anything more for fear of that deck getting the hammer too, and it seems that another investment would be required for me to build a new deck. i was going to be all aboard and purchase thronebreaker as soon as it would be available, but at this point i'm really considering quitting and reevaluating the game at release then seeing if i'm interested.

i'll play the next few days (some pre patch, and whatever i can scramble together post patch) and probably quit. it's been fun.

While I understand your dilemma, people seem to forget the game is still in BETA. This means Gwent might undergo some (radical) changes. If this bothers you, then it might be best to wait until the game settles down around the official launch. Regardless, the game does offer a lot of refunds and it's fairly easy, as a F2P player, to gain new kegs over time. All this means you should be able to create a new deck relatively quickly, especially if you save all your duplicate cards until the next patch.

Also, do keep in mind that other tweaks to numbers have not been revealed yet.

Also this change allow you to play a 10 point freia into another big unit for a strong swing.

Exoclyps;n9605991 said:
Also, do keep in mind that other tweaks to numbers have not been revealed yet.

Also this change allow you to play a 10 point freia into another big unit for a strong swing.

freya has doomed. you only get this by discarding freya, which is not exactly ideal. this does buff queensguard though. it still is an undeserved nerf in my eyes. i wish they would've addressed it as such instead of dismissing the deck i play.

4RM3D;n9605391 said:
While I understand your dilemma, people seem to forget the game is still in BETA. This means Gwent might undergo some (radical) changes. If this bothers you, then it might be best to wait until the game settles down around the official launch. Regardless, the game does offer a lot of refunds and it's fairly easy, as a F2P player, to gain new kegs over time. All this means you should be able to create a new deck relatively quickly, especially if you save all your duplicate cards until the next patch.

i appreciate you putting it into perspective that it's in beta and these changes are to be expected, but it still doesn't change the fact that they made the change to obviously destroy the deck, without addressing it. if they had said that the numbers that the deck had been putting out were too reliably good and so we need to nerf it, then i would've been happy. at least i was addressed and would've gained some sort of validation in picking the deck that was too op, yet was relatively unknown, as silly as it is, it would've mattered to me. instead, the stream implies that my deck is unimportant while simultaneously destroying it.

i'll likely build a new deck or two, but playing competitively seems distant since a good portion of my resources went into this deck, and there doesn't seem to be a competitive replacement within the faction to salvage some of these cards into, and that's what i really enjoy. i'm not so bad off since i have so many cards from the aforementioned purchase, but it feels like i am still a week or two away from another deck, but i am not familiar with the refunds of the game. i haven't been playing that long.

i don't know whether or not i'll wait for full release. i'd prefer a more stable environment, but i do enjoy the more strategic and consistent play that gwent has over other card games. i'm afraid that if i stay i'll just slowly burn out on the game, likely keeping me out for the foreseeable future. which would really be a shame since i've enjoyed the game so far.

thank you for responding though.

dlpg585;n9606351 said:
i appreciate you putting it into perspective that it's in beta and these changes are to be expected, but it still doesn't change the fact that they made the change to obviously destroy the deck, without addressing it...

I'll address it to you - pulling 3x30 STR BRONZE cards in R3 out of the blue needs nerfing, indeed.

Also any Bronze card that can go easily this amount of points over a Gold Card, via the same Discard mechanic.

Also, I think you have a lot more options to work with the card now, strengthening some weak (Priestess or Herbalists) or key units like the QGs.

I think it's a good and healthy change, until proven wrong when said QGs start run wild again.

dlpg585;n9606231 said:
freya has doomed. you only get this by discarding freya, which is not exactly ideal. this does buff queensguard though. it still is an undeserved nerf in my eyes. i wish they would've addressed it as such instead of dismissing the deck i play.

The nerf was needed. That said, the faction need some other buffs. Which it now can get as the previous restore would have otherwise provided some insane possible value, which would be hard to balance around.,

IMO 70+ points power swings in round 3 with only three cards were pretty annoying and restore was the key to make that possible. So I agree that something needed to be done! I'm not entirely sure about the solution yet, but since - if I'm not mistaken - we can soon use on any bronze or silver card in the graveyard, this change might enable other strong plays.

It wasn't some guranteed setup. It requires drawing Restore, Svanrige/Ermion, thinning to get all 3 or 4 pirates(if you use Operator), an extra Priestess if you want to Rez the Skirmisher after the discard, and hope that your opponent doesn't have a single card to disrupt your graveyard and ruin the entire setup. I'd hardly call all of that something that needed nerfed. It was a fun deck and the one I played more than any other. However, Restore will have far more uses under it's new description than the two it had prior to the change, which was giant Pirate Captains, or use in the strengthen based decks.

As far as decks becoming ruined from patches, well welcome to Gwent beta. I liked the mulligan deck and made some cards and it got destroyed in less than a week later. It's best to not invest too mnay of you resources into crafting a single deck. If you have most of the cards and only need a few go for it, but always know the cards can drastically change at anytime.

dlpg585;n9605221 said:
was it really appropriate to refer to a change that removes the viability of a deck as not a big change? it is somewhat insulting to be thrown out of the game and then be told that it's not a big deal.

the discard pirate deck was the only deck i played on a regular basis and the only deck i have completely put together. giving me the scrap for one card is not going to let me make another deck to replace it with. i just started the game and invested $50 for kegs to build the deck. if this is a sign of volatility in the game then i'm not likely to invest anything more for fear of that deck getting the hammer too, and it seems that another investment would be required for me to build a new deck. i was going to be all aboard and purchase thronebreaker as soon as it would be available, but at this point i'm really considering quitting and reevaluating the game at release then seeing if i'm interested.

i'll play the next few days (some pre patch, and whatever i can scramble together post patch) and probably quit. it's been fun.
If you have really spent 50$ on kegs (and played consistently) and you cannot afford any other deck (netdecking older builds right after a patch is the biggest mistake you can make) to at least try you are doing something clearly wrong.

There are always going to be nerfs. If you don't like this change genre, because every digital CCG in existence does this.

JawsLoanCompany;n9606191 said:
They say the game is in Beta but in many ways they've been treating the game as-if it's been released.
Because it actually is. Beta tag is just a placeholder to remind people that constant improvements are being worked on and the game is expected to see big changes. Once the full release happens the big changes will be much rares.

Actually I surprised too that they don't change anything about Mill deck which gives you huge card advantage if all setup works but they nerf pirate which also needs lot of setup plus graveyard stealing is already there & this deck is not even that popular specially in rank play & still got nerf.
I mean it's ok but they should at least nerf mill deck too somehow whic his not op but very time consuming & boring to play against :/

DMaster2;n9608111 said:
If you have really spent 50$ on kegs (and played consistently) and you cannot afford any other deck (netdecking older builds right after a patch is the biggest mistake you can make) to at least try you are doing something clearly wrong.

There are always going to be nerfs. If you don't like this change genre, because every digital CCG in existence does this.

i started about a week or two ago. i am close to completing other decks but my pulls were fairly broad and when i bought the bundle i wasn't looking at net deck lists, just enjoying skellige (obviously not playing pirate discard at that point). since i was enjoying it i focused most of my picks on that faction. from what i read that was a mistake, at least this patch. i have the barebones of other decks but the consistent nature of decks in the game severely punishes incomplete decks imo. more so than in other card games.

i concentrated on the wrong aspect of it in my original post. i'm not too upset about the card being nerfed, but i am upset on the way that they treated it. it felt underhanded.

Now I actually have to think when I play it? I mean, it doesn't matter that the change makes QG viable again. Or the fact that it opens a whole new chain. Only that I can't play the 24 Skirmisher anymore.

Now, seriously: If your game is based on one, single card and one, single strategy... there's something wrong with that.

And, as usual, for all the "I quit" posts:

Last edited:
dlpg585;n9610461 said:
i started about a week or two ago. i am close to completing other decks but my pulls were fairly broad and when i bought the bundle i wasn't looking at net deck lists, just enjoying skellige (obviously not playing pirate discard at that point). since i was enjoying it i focused most of my picks on that faction. from what i read that was a mistake, at least this patch. i have the barebones of other decks but the consistent nature of decks in the game severely punishes incomplete decks imo. more so than in other card games.

i concentrated on the wrong aspect of it in my original post. i'm not too upset about the card being nerfed, but i am upset on the way that they treated it. it felt underhanded.
Then have patience and get the scraps needed to make another deck. Oh and you shouldn't be hasty about it, since there is a balance patch hitting soon there is zero chance to guess what will works and what won't (including SK). So hold your horses, gather scraps/ores and after a couple of weeks you'll get an idea of what works in the new meta.

DMaster2;n9611991 said:
Then have patience and get the scraps needed to make another deck. Oh and you shouldn't be hasty about it, since there is a balance patch hitting soon there is zero chance to guess what will works and what won't (including SK). So hold your horses, gather scraps/ores and after a couple of weeks you'll get an idea of what works in the new meta.
Mate, it's a trend. I don't know how to explain this but even a few years ago this type of thread wouldn't have happened... Sorry, the amount of the similar stuff is what I meant.

HenryGrosmont;n9612321 said:
Mate, it's a trend. I don't know how to explain this but even a few years ago this type of thread wouldn't have happened... Sorry, the amount of the similar stuff is what I meant.
I agree. Gamers used to accepting challenges. I've grown with prince of persia and castlevania (and donkey kong, amazing game the first). There was no one handholding you.
Nowdays everyone *pretend* to walk into a multiplayer game, especially if f2p, and be competitive since day 1.
Work your way to the top dude...

I'm sorry your favorite deck got wrecked. I'm sure with some ingenuity you can put together a decent SK deck with what you have. With time you'll build up enough resources that you'll be able to build decks from each faction so when things change you'll have an easier time changing with them.

Top Bottom