GwentUp Meta Report 30 Sep. - 06 Oct.

+
And here I thought - why I started to face king bran decks more and more, copied to one card....??
Dorregaray/restore/dorregaray/sigrdrifa/dorregaray...

Is it so interesting to copy other's decks and play it like zombie?????..

​​​​​​After all this time Gwent had, there are things 100% clear for me: balance will never be achieved, people will always copy other's decks, and there will always be OP cards, or decks.
Create even 1000 new cards, it will be just a matter of time before swim finds some OP cards, and welcome merigold halestorm annoyance vol 13, restore annoyance vol 15, etc. 1000 cards, but only several OP fills meta. Hello to 50% unkillable morkvargs and olgierds.

People, as always people are to blame. Not Swim, not developers of course, but brainless people. Its easier to copy deck than to think. Not all can think, after all.

So I guess its time to realize that it will never be interesting to play.(((((((

ps: dorregaray makes no sense to me: why every deck can have cards from different decks?? Ekimmara in Skellige? Makes no sense. (By the way, if I remember correctly, there were only 3 ekimmaras in the entire game: in Lambert quest in Novigrad, somewhere on Velen in the cave with griffin gear and another Velen contract. Not in SKELLIGE!!!))))). So no, dorregaray makes no sense at all).

Now I just stop playing until there's a hotfix

my solution to skellige is making revive mechanic, including Freya, Sigdrifa and restore, only target non mechanical clan unit. I think this can solve a bit of the problem at very least

ZenaRose;n9667601 said:
Devs should nerf restore and harpies - both have 99% autoinclude rate. thats crazy

Ya, they have high win rate while others have low. The skellige problem is on cherys and new updated restore. Every skellige can discard cerys to grave yard, she safe there, no one can touch and she can summoned to board almost every round. It countered with lock but, having lock card on hand is hard while discarding cherys in graveyard is like blink an eyes.

Harpy eggs is problem, they consume it egg but 1 STR still born form that egg, quite logic isn't it? after it born it can call down another happy with 3 STR and damage enemy by 1. can they just change "if egg is consumed, boost card by 5. but if egg on board until enemy passes, summon 1 STR happy in next round", I think this little change can make player considering unseen elder as leader rather than dagon.
HenryGrosmont;n9667591 said:
Skellige was an odd faction in Witcher 3 and it still is in Gwent. The whole res mechanic is getting really contradictory to the path this game is taking. We'll see how it works out. But as I said every patch, Skellige is the faction that actively interferes with game balance more than anything else.

I remember back then when NR medic cant res it kind but, it not work with freeya. freeya is "free ya" to res it kind.

nemirni;n9670111 said:
As for my deck it's ng spies. Now ng is supposed to be favorable against sk due to medic but the idea with restore is quite the opposite. As you guys said denying dorregaray is pointless. So what i do i ignore their graveyard and just focus on my play resing emissaries anf maybe harpooner if need be. The key is being greedy about it. If i make sure to win the first round i just go for 2:0. The strength my deck can produce with slow setup that round 2 gives me is way more then theirs.. In last 10sk games i lost one in r3, won 8 2:0 and won one by chance in r3. Playing around 4300atm.

NG is well-known high powered unit, no issue beating them with NG but other, cant stand, because they will use everything they have to beat them in a round and in another round they will comeback from their grave like mummy, but healthier, and stronger.

So I guess it's just not me realizing that Harold has a hard time competing :p When I switched from King Bran to Harold to change things up since the last update I kept thinking I haven't been able to come up with a deck that synergises like my Queensgard/discard deck did before. I'm hoping there is a patch in the horizon that can even the playing field. I took a break from Gwent because of it but came back for the Mahakam festival and want to play some more but if things haven't changed much I'll wait some more.

Theodrik;n9671471 said:
Ououou! This gif is copyrighted here... by me. Find something else... :p

But yeah, I find it kind of funny when people threaten to quit playing.

kmpat;n9671971 said:
Monster and SK at the top of EVERY SINGLE meta since open beta. :worried:
Res and carryover. Now, Skellige has both. You see, Adrenaline Rush is available for everybody... yet none uses it because it gives you no value. Ekimmaras do. So do the Mahakam Defenders, you can say. But Mahakam defenders do not provide a harpy egg-hatchling-harpy tempo plus Nekkers. And in case of Skellige, you can now res both Dorregaray and Ekimmara for even more carryover.

If Restore remained tied to the 3-4 clans like it was used to there would be no problems. It is an easy fix, and it would still see play, people like having 2th silver ress.

Today I faced 5 King Brans in a row (around 4100mmr, each using exactly the same deck) and decided to take a break from ladder... Bran has it all right now - insane carryover (graveyard/discard + Ekimmaras on demand) as well as tempo with harpooners (split your rows - get rekt by harpooners, stack one row - get rekt by lacerate) and attrition denial (via Armorsmith).

In my opinion Dorregaray shouldn't have an Ekkimara as an option (4 options is too much anyway). There's a reason why NR don't have access to Nekker Warriors, so SK shouldn't have access to Ekimmaras (I can see strengthening them as a potential problem in the future). I also agree with Restore being a problem and Harpooners being overstatted. Don't want to see Skellige overnerfed, but truth is they don't have any weaknesses right now. They even don't have to put high strength units in the graveyard anymore, so graveyard disruption is no longer a real counter.

People often complain about the rock-paper-scissors relationship between decks, but it seems it's the only way to keep the meta relatively healthy. Once you have a deck that is as flexible as the current Bran (strong in a long round, strong in a short round with insane carryovers), we end up in a situation like this.

Astaroth0803;n9674561 said:
People often complain about the rock-paper-scissors relationship between decks, but it seems it's the only way to keep the meta relatively healthy. Once you have a deck that is as flexible as the current Bran (strong in a long round, strong in a short round with insane carryovers), we end up in a situation like this.

It quickly become a Rock rock rock game. I remember in previous patch it once happened as well, variations of skellige wiping out every other faction, featuring savage bear, shield maiden,axeman and Coral, Ceryes, Morkvag. etc

SrdjanB;n9672571 said:
If Restore remained tied to the 3-4 clans like it was used to there would be no problems. It is an easy fix, and it would still see play, people like having 2th silver ress.

Not only restore but also Freya and Sigdrifa should subject to such change, and it suppose to be reviving non mechanical units. The current revive mechanic actually denies any first 4 or 5 removal against skellige while skellige units are immune to reset already, making skellige the ultimate faction denies every control except graveyard hate(also debatable since skellige no longer rely on strengthening graveyard) . On this basis anything from good to decent will guaranteed to be (or will be) abused by skellige even restore is nerfed (like sigdrifa + decoy + Dorregary can basically replicate the effect of current combo, it don't even need 10 power to be good).

And let's not let Craite fly under the rader, Craite also have high winrate against all leader except bran. If we simply nerf restore Craite will take the place since the same logic skellige has been the top tier as usual. I do honestly think skellige should be nerfed from head to toe just like what they did to northern realm armor and mulligan ST.

Last edited:
@ResoundingBuahaha

Great points. It is really weird how Nenneke was (fairly) nerfed to only units, but yet SK can resurrect limping, blind and crippled and their mother.

They also have a nice tool against Graveyard hate in the face of Donnar, who, I still think needs a point or two nerf in his strength.

partci;n9675241 said:
@ResoundingBuahaha

Great points. It is really weird how Nenneke was (fairly) nerfed to only units, but yet SK can resurrect limping, blind and crippled and their mother.

Yep, that's always been a problem. Give SK a good bronze card and it instantly becomes an issue (pre-nerf axemen, savage bear, etc.) simply because they can use it up to 9 times in a single game (3 base cards + Freya x3 + Operator + Sig + Restore) with more res cards most likely coming in the future. Resurrecting should be restricted in some way (like someone suggested, restricting it to units with a "clan" tag doesn't seem like a bad idea) and maybe then we wouldn't have 3x Freya as an auto include in every single SK deck.

We had a pretty varied meta up until this crap came along. When I say varied, I mean compared to previos patches. Sure, Dagon was still on top but Nilfgaard was showing up and Scoia'tael was looking decent(after the Spell nerf). The only faction that didn't see much play was Skellige. While it was a nice respite from the meta where they were completely broken, I wanted Skellige to be somewhat decent-ish. But this is ridiculous.

I watched a few random streams yesterday and 90% of games were against Bran. It kind of killed my desire to play the game, so I haven't touched it in a few days.

Again, I don't want Skellige to be nerfed to the ground. I don't want resurrections, a feature only Skellige has (for the most part) to be removed. We should be adding more features, not removing them. But they really have to look at this thing. Skellige units don't get buffed, they get strengthened. Reset, removal and locking do absolutelu nothing to Skellige. I say have locked units in the graveyard stay locked until unlocked by a card. Make resurrects unable to remove locks.

partci;n9675241 said:
@ResoundingBuahaha

They also have a nice tool against Graveyard hate in the face of Donnar, who, I still think needs a point or two nerf in his strength.
Don't forget that CDPR felt that Skellige didn't get enough love and plan to buff that faction in the upcoming patch... hehehe.

HenryGrosmont;n9677061 said:
Don't forget that CDPR felt that Skellige didn't get enough love and plan to buff that faction in the upcoming patch... hehehe.

They already kinda did so, it didn't take a week to nerf mulligan and only a month to nerf armor, and skellige patch usually lasts longer than 1 month and the following patch after nerf, surprisingly more or less also favors skellige

When the nerf hit the ground a lot people called it fair or reasonable nerf, and armor & mulligan are wiped out since the nerf. How is that reasonable? Assume they are right lets reasonably nerf skellige :D

Last edited:
ResoundingBuahaha;n9678371 said:
They already kinda did so, it didn't take a week to nerf mulligan and only a month to nerf armor, and skellige patch usually lasts longer than 1 month and the following patch after nerf, surprisingly more or less also favors skellige

When the nerf hit the ground a lot people called it fair or reasonable nerf, and armor & mulligan are wiped out since the nerf. How is that reasonable? Assume they are right lets reasonably nerf skellige :D
They still said that Skellige will get buffed in the next patch. Plus an additional card over other factions.

I've said it again and again: as long as Skellige has the base strength buffs and that many res options, any reasonable balance in this game will be very hard to achieve. For example, it took only one card change to completely transform the current ladder.

I also don't understand the policy of buffing one side while simultaneously nerfing to the ground the other. Even at the moment, a few not too drastic changes would've improved the situation.

P.S. Don't bring ST into "nerf and fair" conversation, my friend. That was never the case. Started as very unique faction, it has been gradually transformed into another generic one. To the point where Spell is considered to be a real deck.

Last edited:
HenryGrosmont;n9678491 said:
P.S. Don't bring ST into "nerf and fair" conversation, my friend. That was never the case. Started as very unique faction, it has been gradually transformed into another generic one. To the point where Spell is considered to be a real deck.

I think that was Resoundingbuahaha's point: that the nerf to SC and to NR came extremely quickly (compared to how long it takes to fix an OP SK deck) and that IF those nerfs were considered 'fair' (which would bring the question: is it fair that the decks gave pretty much vanished?) then it follows that the current SK should be nerfed as well, and not 'get more love' come the next patch
( ResoundingBuahaha - if I misunderstood you, I apologise. Also, as always, I disagree with you on the NR part ;) )

ArianeGrosmont;n9680731 said:
I think that was Resoundingbuahaha's point: that the nerf to SC and to NR came extremely quickly (compared to how long it takes to fix an OP SK deck) and that IF those nerfs were considered 'fair' (which would bring the question: is it fair that the decks gave pretty much vanished?) then it follows that the current SK should be nerfed as well, and not 'get more love' come the next patch
( ResoundingBuahaha - if I misunderstood you, I apologise. Also, as always, I disagree with you on the NR part ;) )
And that's why I twice mentioned, this is the third time, that CDPR will give more love to Skellige. So... if I were you people, I wouldn't hold my breath.

HenryGrosmont;n9680821 said:
And that's why I twice mentioned, this is the third time, that CDPR will give more love to Skellige. So... if I were you people, I wouldn't hold my breath.

''you people''??? what do you mean by that: us 'dwarves'? :skepticalzoltan:

Top Bottom