Poll: How do you feel about the carryover mechanic?

+

• Total voters

I am getting increasingly frustrated with the carryover mechanics, it caused problems ever since CB and IMO it just ruins the round and resource management system we all love in Gwent. I know that Skellige and Monster are the main offenders but the presence of Dorregaray in almost every deck (I know he is versatile but he is mainly used for Ekkimara) is telling how powerful the mechanic really is in a game where a single point can determine a win or loss.
Share your opinions!

I think it adds another tactical aspect to the game, but it sometimes really annoys me. You are forced to play a deck which beats your opponents deck in terms of carryover or you have to use a silver spy. I don't know if it should be removed completely, but at least Dorregaray shouldn't play an ekimmara.

I was thinking the same today. I think it perhaps should be limited to just Silver cards (like Morkvarg and Olgierd), plus that Bronze Spell, that enables/disables it and no one actually uses.

Big Spy Guys are a totally different problem, that needs to be addressed (to be like a second leader, enabled only when you lost the CF and you are a card down in R2. And make them like 15 STR).

carryover is fine. idk why everyone is frustrated on this game, is a thin line between :,, hey dev, i give you this tip, you know, the game will be better if you do this " and : i am very frustrated, that player just abused with carryover, i know what to do, complain!

Sorry for my poor explanation and for my grammar and for my thought but is real. On Facebook, everywhere people just complain . and is a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an issue but I'm really not sure how to solve that. I really don't want to scream "too op, remove it from the game" every time something popular comes along. I think mechanics like these add to the diversity and should remain in the game. They just need tweaking.

Several posts deleted. Please do not derail threads with general rants. Insults are even less acceptable.

alexmanelistu;n9692211 said:
carryover is fine. idk why everyone is frustrated on this game, is a thin line between :,, hey dev, i give you this tip, you know, the game will be better if you do this " and : i am very frustrated, that player just abused with carryover, i know what to do , complain!

Sorry for my poor explanation and for my grammar and for my thought but is real. On Facebook, everywhere people just complain . and is a fact..

I put a poll in the post for a reason, I do not play this game nearly enough to suggest balance changes, while I personally do not like the carryover mechanics, I can completely understand people who do. The point of this post is for people to share pros and cons about carryover and it is entirely possible that I will be convinced that carryover is good for the game

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread re-opened. Some posts got edited a bit, some will stay deleted.

As mentioned above, please remember to keep your posts civilized. You are free to give constructive criticism and you are free to disagree, as long as you keep your tone polite. Also, please do not make things personal.

I'm sure 80% of the problem is -sadly- Dorregarray.

If you kept track of the times carryover bothered you, you'd discover SK is the main offender.
(and the Restore cheese did nothing but worsen the situation...)

Let's hope the devs will draw a red line from now on, where Neutral cards cannot provide faction-unique abilities so that powerful Neutral Silvers sadly start to become autoinclude.
(anyone remember the KoB in closed beta?)

We had Prize-cow spawning Chorts, then Tremors spawning Earth Elemental, both revised with neutral tokens.
I trust 3rd time is the charm

I think the real problem when it comes to carry-over is Dorregarray..he simply shouldn't spawn an Ekimmara. Otherwise, it's fine as it is.

Carryover is a mechanic that rubs in winning. Truly, that's what it does. If your opponent has carry and loses round 1, it means nothing. Round 2 you simply pass, and there's a fresh slate for 3. But if you lose round 1, chances are you'll lose round 2 as well.

That's why I think carryover is a poor mechanic.

As a replacement for carryover, I would submit that carryover be changed to boost cards in hand (only in hand) by 2 if the unit is alive at the end of the round. Then you have strategy - do you play a longer round 1 to try and win it knowing you'll have less cards in hand, or do you bait round 1 to use carryover to boost and win round 2 and 3? It also puts more emphasis on actually stopping units with carryover. It also puts round 2 into play. I rarely see anyone try to play in round 2 as it stands.

Last edited:
Take care of this Skellige Restore Ekimmara, it is just stupid to look at... As if Skellige is not good already to buff their units in the graveyard, they now are able to get like 4-5 Ekimmara's out also..

Since everyone in this thread is almost complaining about Dorregaray, I personally think, the best way to solve the Ekimmara carryover, is to remove Ekimmara from Dorregaray and replace with ArchGriffin instead, which can take a Bronze card from either graveyard. What do you think, sound reasonable?

As well, like this more variety within Dorregaray itself to be played out of.

Regards,
byExeplar

Last edited:
byExeplar;n9699151 said:
Since everyone in this thread is almost complaining about Dorregaray, I personally think, the best way to solve the Ekimmara carryover, is to remove Ekimmara from Dorregaray and replace with ArchGriffin instead, which can take a Bronze card from either graveyard. What do you think, sound reasonable?

As well, like this more variety within Dorregaray itself to be played out of.

Regards,
byExeplar

They actually planned to do so, but changed him, because they got a lot of negative feedback.

I think Arch-griffin is the perfect card to replace Ekimarra, it would also give Skellige access to a weather removal card that they could then resurrect.

BornBoring;n9699231 said:
They actually planned to do so, but changed him, because they got a lot of negative feedback.

For some odd reason, I don't find that, that one negative feedback could make the Devs to change something, which could prove to be positive, but maybe, if it is true with the statement that you gave.

Regards,
byExeplar

Top Bottom