advertising Gwent

+
advertising Gwent

Somehow I think Gwent need more advertising. Like many youtube and streamer already said, Gwent is moving too slow and too quiet. And I kinda agreed. Heartstone is way more aggressive and it kinda works. They are bombarding people with trailer and expansions and more update. IGN, Gamestar, Gamespot, youtube.... everyone makes promotion for them. I am kinda sad that the Gwent CGI trailer didn't even reach 1 million clicks.

I think the presentation of a new patch, cards, and events in Gwent are too quiet. Somehow we need to make it louder.

Any ideas how to make Gwent more mainstream?

Imo instead of giving away thousands $$ for few players winning challengers and world series, CDPR should put that money into marketing campaign.

Not right now they shouldnt no.

The game is far too much of a mess to start a major advertisement campaign. CDPR keep flip-flopping the game between design choices without ever picking and comitting to one, leading to constantly poor balance and core mechanics being changed virtually every patch. (Yes im aware the game is in beta, but the game should of had its design direction virtually finalised BEFORE closed beta began, not still being changed dramatically halfway through open beta - which in itself may as well be considered a full release at this stage.)

Starting to advertise now will just be bringing players into a game thats poorly balanced, doesnt know what its trying to be any longer and changing direction more than i change my underwear. Not exactly the best strategy for player retention. If CDPR can actually decide what they want GWENT to be (game is a lot closer to Hearthstone than it is Closed Beta GWENT anymore.) and stick with it, then sure, but in the current state, No they definately shouldn't.

Last edited:
PandaLin;n9789511 said:
Somehow I think Gwent need more advertising. Like many youtube and streamer already said, Gwent is moving too slow and too quiet. And I kinda agreed. Heartstone is way more aggressive and it kinda works. They are bombarding people with trailer and expansions and more update. IGN, Gamestar, Gamespot, youtube.... everyone makes promotion for them. I am kinda sad that the Gwent CGI trailer didn't even reach 1 million clicks.

I think the presentation of a new patch, cards, and events in Gwent are too quiet. Somehow we need to make it louder.

Any ideas how to make Gwent more mainstream?

What on earth are you talking about ? Gwent has 100.000 active users every month. And the audience of card games is, in fact, very niche to begin with. Do you know many ccg with a number close to that ? I came here from Hex: Shards of Fate, which has....2.000 active users. And it's alive and kicking.
Besides, why would you want gwent to get a bigger playerbase ? Are the queues are long ? Do you bump into the same people over and over again ? Or are you afraid that it may not survive with 100k players, while other ccg's survive with less than 10% of that ?

Fjormarr;n9789861 said:
What on earth are you talking about ? Gwent has 100.000 active users every month. And the audience of card games is, in fact, very niche to begin with. Do you know many ccg with a number close to that ? I came here from Hex: Shards of Fate, which has....2.000 active users. And it's alive and kicking.
Besides, why would you want gwent to get a bigger playerbase ? Are the queues are long ? Do you bump into the same people over and over again ? Or are you afraid that it may not survive with 100k players, while other ccg's survive with less than 10% of that ?

bruh...
with the fame of WOWC lore, its being around for more than a decade and the massive marketing for it hearthstone active player base sits on millions.

sorry, CDPR is busy wasting money and time and resources and talent and a whole lot of other things on promoting the E-sports side of gwent right now.
maybe next year they will figure out the way to go is faster development of more cards more events more factions more game modes hell even more single player campaigns.

I think of all the things you've picked to complain against you've clearly missed the mark. So much of marketting is simply timing and being ahead of the curve. World of war craft for instance, pretty average of a game by nowadays standards, even an indie game could kind of compare in most aspects, clearly not in sheer size of content but you see the point. Also to top that off you don't necessarily have to grow gwent by advertising gwent, they probably should treat it like a side game, but really focus on the witchers and grow a fanbase for their games as people continue to be impressed by their work and want to try their other stuff.

though I also want to note that the game is really only popular at all in Europe and I think there's something more like 250,000 users going by what I saw my global rank being displayed as so maybe they just need to branch out, even maybe have branches and head offices around the world.

Ruthless95;n9790271 said:
bruh...
with the fame of WOWC lore, its being around for more than a decade and the massive marketing for it hearthstone active player base sits on millions.

I wouldn't care even if it sat on billions. It's stupid to compare gwent's playerbase to heartstone's, because heartstone, just as every Blizzard's game, is a phenomenon when it comes to popularity. Since when Blizzard's games became an index of other games' popularity ? No other ccg/tcg is even close to heartstone. Does this mean that every ccg, except of hearstone, is underpopulated and need extra promotion ? Gwent's popularity is fine, it's more than fine actually. Gwent is way ahead of almost every other ccg, and it's still on Beta.
Blizzard's phenomenal achievemts don't with advertisement only, their games include some other specific elements that make them so popular, i.e childish aesthetic, very easy gameplay etc. I really wouldn't like to see that in gwent.

Ruthless95;n9790271 said:
maybe next year they will figure out the way to go is faster development of more cards more events more factions more game modes hell even more single player campaigns.

No comment.

Fjormarr;n9791501 said:
I wouldn't care even if it sat on billions. It's stupid to compare gwent's playerbase to heartstone's, because heartstone, just as every Blizzard's game, is a phenomenon when it comes to popularity. Since when Blizzard's games became an index of other games' popularity ? No other ccg/tcg is even close to heartstone. Does this mean that every ccg, except of hearstone, is underpopulated and need extra promotion ? Gwent's popularity is fine, it's more than fine actually. Gwent is way ahead of almost every other ccg, and it's still on Beta.
Blizzard's phenomenal achievemts don't with advertisement only, their games include some other specific elements that make them so popular, i.e childish aesthetic, very easy gameplay etc. I really wouldn't like to see that in gwent.

No comment.

He is right. Gwent if fine.

Well, you are right about many things but you can't say Gwent really do a lot promotion. I mean I saw the last patch "ingame" I opened the game and suddenly... ohhh new patch. CDPR are so quiet about those things. Not just heartstone, other games also promote the hell out of there games. The big game review companies, youtuber, streamer talk about it, weeks before the patch and expansion hit the players.

New patch, cards and content ist a huge thing. And a little mail and forum post is all we got before the developer talk about it on live stream.

Raunbjorn

Instead of dumb marketing they should focus on improving the game. And please make cards row bound again!

Zjiin;n9789731 said:
Not right now they shouldnt no.

The game is far too much of a mess to start a major advertisement campaign. CDPR keep flip-flopping the game between design choices without ever picking and comitting to one, leading to constantly poor balance and core mechanics being changed virtually every patch. (Yes im aware the game is in beta, but the game should of had its design direction virtually finalised BEFORE closed beta began, not still being changed dramatically halfway through open beta - which in itself may as well be considered a full release at this stage.)

Starting to advertise now will just be bringing players into a game thats poorly balanced, doesnt know what its trying to be any longer and changing direction more than i change my underwear. Not exactly the best strategy for player retention. If CDPR can actually decide what they want GWENT to be (game is a lot closer to Hearthstone than it is Closed Beta GWENT anymore.) and stick with it, then sure, but in the current state, No they definately shouldn't.

I completely agree, they shouldn't concentrate too much on advertising right now while the game seems to be still evolving. Even though it's fairly balanced right now, (except for a few exceptions) I think CDPR should concentrate more on promoting the game after it is done changing things up so much. We've come a long way since closed beta, I still remember how different the game used to be back then.

First, a general reminder: Please, keep the discussion respectful.

Second, Gwent hasn't even left Open Beta yet. (Ay, we mention that rather a lot around here.) When the game finally is released, I expect it may get a bit more advertising.

Zjiin;n9789731 said:
(game is a lot closer to Hearthstone than it is Closed Beta GWENT anymore.)
How exactly those game are close in terms of gameplay and mechanics, besides using cards?

My two cents here:

Firstly, success is not determined by setting a product against only things that are massively successful. (Just because Walmart happens to be worth $250 billion, has diversified itself across multiple industries, and employs 2.1 million workers...that doesn't mean that the falafel cart down the street run by two people in their spare time is not also a 100% successful business.) Gwent doesn't need to compete with Hearthstone. It simply needs to be profitable for itself. It would be awesome if Gwent became a huge sensation, but it's not necessary for the game to be wildly, ridiculously successful. If situation were any different, there would not be this gigantic influx of indie developers cutting a huge swath through the industry.

Secondly, since it's still in beta, suffering from bugs, and in many ways unfinished, it's impossible to even foresee the final product perfectly -- let alone how the wider market will receive it.

Imo the convoluted card names are harming the games marketability and new player aquisition. I really cant remember or talk about strategies with this card mumbo jumbo names.

Mapandzap;n9820621 said:
Imo the convoluted card names are harming the games marketability and new player aquisition.
First time I see this type of complaint. I personally like the card names and the lore attached to them.

4RM3D Thanks for the info. It's pretty interesting that some of the OP suggestions were actually implemented in the game, like Abaya and Mourntart :)

I am just really frustrated when I visit game news site like IGN, Gamestar, Game Channel on Youtube and everyone talking about Heartstone and Shadowverse but no one talk about Gwent.

Top Bottom