GWENT: Community Q&A Thread - Ask Your Questions Here

+
TV_JayArr;n10403212 said:
In case I understand you correctly: You can save ore/kegs for a patch and get the new cards with those kegs, even if you earned them the previous season/patch. I don't know if the patch in a couple of days will add new cards tho.

Yes you understood me correctly. My question was due to in some other games loot is predefined before open it, and I think I already have all common cards (first four cards 95% times). So if they are not predefined I can get new common ones from stacked kegs instead recycle all if I open them now.

Thanks for your fast answer :D

please do something about players disconnecting their internet when they are losing, or ill have to open a thread with a Hall of Shame

No Title

Another important question: What does these strange, tiny, green bars (in the picture, where the hand cursor is pointing) signify? From what I observe, they're not in proportion to either my Collection or Victories numbers. So?

Attachments

• photo195732.jpg
    photo195732.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 31
G4merY Moved post to the community section because it isn't a question specifically meant for the devs.

Those "strange, tiny, green bars" show an indication of the number of premium cards you have.

Just want to ask what makes Schirru better than just Scorch? Most of the time Epidemic is not even an option and the small benefit of having it doesn't make up for the gold-silver difference I feel.
P.S. Didn't want to ask this here but I can't create posts yet.

astronautis28 Hi and welcome to the forums. I've moved your post to a different, more appropriate, thread.

There are various reasons why Schirru is used. First of all, it can be used in conjunction with Scorch for an extra Scorch effect. More importantly, those 4 points could make the difference between a win or a loss depending on the situation, when you are in a tight race where every point counts. Incidentally, you could also ress Schirru with Renew. Finally, for some builds, the silver slots are already filled, leaving you with only a free gold slot. The same applies to Coral vs. Artefact Compression.

What I want to know is how nilfgaard players keep playing a Geels from their hand whenever I am playing monsters.

Hexador

Post moved to a more appropriate thread.

As for your question, I can think of two possibilities: Shilard and Johnny. One can steal Ge'els, the other can give your opponent a copy of Ge'els if they use Johnny on a Gold card of their own.

There's also Uma, Avallac'h: Sage and even Blue Dream, but they wouldn't allow Ge'els to be played from hand.

What is an ally? some cards say they buff allies.

What is "end of row", elf archer says it deals damage to the end of row. Last played unit seems not to be the case, it feels like it just deals damage at random.

Can I spam messages here? I got 11 posts and I still can not create new topics (most probably because my posts were moved and removed by mods due to some misundestanding) So I won't be able to create new topics now? or do I have to come up with some random noob questions to fill my post requirements? I obviously can't participate in other topics since I'm new and when I post something there my post gets deleted again due to "low content value". Maybe I should have split this message in 3 to get my post count going. Damn what a horrible system.

tealquest;n10498552 said:
What is an ally? some cards say they buff allies.

An Ally is a unit, any unit, on your side of the board. Spies played by your opponent also count as Allies.

tealquest;n10498552 said:
What is "end of row", elf archer says it deals damage to the end of row.

"End of row" means the rightmost and leftmost units on the row. For example, if there are three cards on your opponent's melee (= front) row positioned like this:
Card A - Card B - Card C
and you play the elven archer (Milaen), she will damage Cards A and C.

And in case you're wondering, the row symbols and names (melee, ranged, siege) have no real purpose at the moment. They're relics of the time when cards had specific rows they could only be played on.

Muffliato;n10498632 said:
An Ally is a unit, any unit, on your side of the board. Spies played by your opponent also count as Allies.

So what's the point of using word "ally"? Some cards say units ot your units, and like that "ally" thing only mentioned in cards of one faction - confusing as hell, pretty sure in a few weeks I will forget what ally means (since there are no tooltips in game) and will come with this question again. Shouldn't it all be standardised?

Also, is this question worth dev attention? I see some posts there totally with random questions while some of my legit questions were moved or removed.

end row is confusing as well, why not say rightmost and leftmost units on a row?

tealquest;n10498802 said:
end row is confusing as well, why not say rightmost and leftmost units on a row?

Because it's much shorter. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a character limit on the card descriptions.

There are tooltips in the game; many of the keywords will be explained in a pop-up when you hover over them or the card.

If you want to send feedback directly to CDPR, you can use this form (topic: Gameplay --> Send feedback).

tealquest Some additions to your questions.

tealquest;n10494802 said:
what is an ally?
Allies are all units on your side of the board.
Enemies on the other hand are all units on your opponents side of the board.

What is "end of a row" ?
Means the left and the right end of a row, if you refer to Milaen (Scoia'tael/Green silver with 5 strength), elsewise it is usually the right end of the row - e.g. Hjalmar (Skellige/Purple gold with 16 strength).
Everything that procs works from melee to siege and left to right.

How is that a fair matching?
I assume there is a maximum queue length and it matches you with players of a higher skill difference as u proceed in queue duration. On top of that I don't think there are much players, regarded as skill-even if you are a completely fresh player. Server and time of day influences it to, the vast majority plays in Central Europe I suppose.

how am I supposed to play against that with starter deck + couple of randoms?
Try to get your hands on generic/neutral silvers and golds if you have the choice in kegs. If you encounter a lot of high strength cards, try to get scorch (the neutral silver spell that destroys all the highest units on the board that share the same strength - playing with fire is dangerous ;)) and something to set up scorches on multiple targets.

Something that might help you, even if it is outdated.

Edit: While typing this discussion transitioned to the 'GWENT: Community Q&A Thread', it would be neat if a mod could move this post right there; It is more appropriate over there anyways I think.

Last edited:
Muffliato;n10498822 said:
If you want to send feedback directly to CDPR, you can use this form (topic: Gameplay --> Send feedback).

I already did it like 5 times, am just afraid they gonna reply or punish me in some obscure way I'm not aware of yet.

Also, I got a punishment for my previous spam, but I don't know what it does, is there some hidden badguy points I'm already amassing? Wanna know if I can see those somewhere.

TV_JayArr;n10498832 said:
try to get scorch

Is it worth crafting? Cause of all neutrals I'm only getting freeze and fog aoe and nothing else I like have 6 of each already.

Are there any guidelines to card crafting anywhere, for new players preferably.

TV_JayArr;n10498832 said:
Edit: While typing this discussion transitioned to the 'GWENT: Community Q&A Thread', it would be neat if a mod could move this post right there; It is more appropriate over there anyways I think.

As you wish. Post (and your reply to it, tealquest ) moved to Q&A. :)

tealquest;n10498872 said:
Is it worth crafting? Cause of all neutrals I'm only getting freeze and fog aoe and nothing else I like have 6 of each already. Are there any guidelines to card crafting anywhere, for new players preferably.

Yes I think so. It is a pretty decent starter card, because it is a neutral silver card. That means you cant put it in every deck regardless of the faction you play at that moment.
Just be careful not to scorch your own units. If i recall correctly Triss Merigold (neutral gold with 10 strength) is a starter card, she could help you to set up multiple scorches.
For example by hitting a 18 strength unit with her, deals 5 damage and sets that unit to 13 strength on top of another 13 strength unit that will be a 26 point scorch.
Triss although is not worth crafting if she is no starter card.

Generally neutral spells are fine for starters. The silver witcher trio used to be good for starters, I don't think it is anymore.
And try to focus on one deck/archetype, at least faction that you like. Even tho the daily quests should help you a lot early on to get your hands on kegs. Don't forget that you can abandon one quest a day if you don't like it, you will not get a new one for doing so.

Don't necessarily craft those, but consider picking them in kegs:
Alzur's Double Cross (silver; neutral), pulls/summons the highest unit out of your deck and boosts it by 2.
Marching Order (silver; neutral) does the same for the lowest unit.
Geralt: Igni (gold; neutral) 5 strenght body and is a one row scorch, if the row got a total strength of 25 or higher.

Every silver mage/alchemist is gorgeous to start things of.
Those cards are factionbond and got 3 options for you to take. One clear skies, some utility (Alzur's Thunder for example) and a bronze weather spell.
These silver alchemist got 4 strength (Gremist, Ida Emean, Dethmold, Vanhemar and Abaya)
If you chose one or even two factions that you like. The silver alchemsit are definetly worth crafting, because they are pretty good even in fairly defined decks.

An addition to the tooltips, check your settings you can alter the pop-up for every bold word in the toolboxes - Mouseover if you play with mouse and just wait a second if you play with a gamepad. I think the setting is something with keywords. And yes, the tooltips always were and still are missleading or even wrong related to their ability/functionality it is a pain in the ass. But playing experience will do the job for you. The keywords are fairly precise in comparison.

I don't have problems where stuff is explained, but there are some things that are not explained anywhere in the game. (Also, aside from when you open kegs, for some reason you can't check cards you're forced to pick, like again another wall for new people. I barelly know any cards and it forces me to pick some that have like 3 other cards mentioned in their description, and I don't even know what those other cards do).

And obviously, I have problems when devs use different words to describe same things, like with "ally", they use the word "unit" almost everywhere, but some cards use ally instead. For me, different word means different effect, but there's no tooltips in game, and as explained by Muff, those mean the same. ally = your unit.

in general things get confusing as soon as they are not explained ingame. Forum help is now good, but untill it is fixed/standardised ingame, its gonna be an issue. I got other stuff to remember, I usually switch my mind off of game when am done playing and when I come back, I might not rememeber that ally is simply your unit. So what I should be checking forums everytime? It definitely should be either all explained ingame or standartised to very simple wording. Ally is confusing with unit being around. end of row is not simple enough for people who never played card games with multiple rows. etc. Am suse there's gonna be even more overcomplicated stuff the more I play.

Also, I can't hoover over resources to know what they are, what they are even called and what they are used for. Yet another ui failure. I mean Ciriously, how hard is it to add tooltips to everything ingame? I'm not a programer but even I know how to make tooltips in some programs I use on daily basis. ITs just ugh, can't even describe how much I am frustrated with lack of tooltips without putting my post at risk of being removed again. Tooltips are so easy to make and ugh, feels like its just dev lazines.

shadzahar;n10499532 said:
[...]So Francesca works like a get out of jail card allowing you to swap again bad card from hand and play anything you would like and need in hand right now - be it gold, silver or bronze and boost it additionally. And Calveit gives you RNG additional card to see top 3 cards which can be completely useless to player and play one without a boost. Even blind would see there is complete lack of balance between these two. And this is just a tip of the mountain of bad card balances.

Without disrespect you seem not to understand that cards, especially leaders work with/in a surrounding.
I don't really have the leisure to explain you this matter generically.

For this example, just ask yourself what will happen if you play Francesca, respectively Calveit the moment you place the card on the board.

Francesca is a 7 point play.
Calveit is a 5 point play + the card he plays.

Francesca provides one of your cards with reliability and boosts it by 3; And you got the chance to improve your hand by swapping a card you don't want at that point.
Calveit instantly plays a card from your deck and thins it. This card is predictable, because you are Nilfgaard and influencing draws is what you do.

Francesca can be palyed in a combo with a Wardancer for 10 strength on deploy, or a Vrihedd Vanguard for 7+1*elfs on the board on deploy + the aforementioned.
Calveit can be strengthened and ressurected/replayed with Cahir - common move with mandrake in an alchemy deck - and he can play more muster cards, e.g. Vilgefortz.

tl;dr: Francesca is a terribly slow play and can lead to you losing 1 or even two cards in total. Calveit can be a pretty strong gapcloser or power-tempo punisher, forcing your opponent out of the round, respectively preventing said form happen to yourself. The functionality of both differs a lot.

To sum things up. There are a lot of balance issues, or to put it in a more neutral way; Balance matters that I strongly disapprove, the comparison of Calveit and Francesca is definetly none of them - atleast in taht extent - and unjustified complaints like that lead to well-grounded feedback being treated less serious. Besides why do you mock your own post by opening a balancing question up with questioning if there is a balancing team at all? Is that post even meant as a serious question or is it simply an insult?
shadzahar;n10499532 said:
[....]And gamewise question does GWENT have a balance team(I know you have, but are they competent)? [...]
Even blind would see there is complete lack of balance between these two. And this is just a tip of the mountain of bad card balances.

Top Bottom