Forget Nilfgard. Is it just me, or is Nekker Swarm ridiculously OP right now?

+
Forget Nilfgard. Is it just me, or is Nekker Swarm ridiculously OP right now?

This is bar none the most frustrating deck in the meta right now in my opinion. CDPR nerfed some of monster's carry over like the harpies, but now nekkers are a true pest for carry over due to their deathwish. Factor in the synergy that nekkers have with nekker warriors, slyzards, and shadow, and you get a frustrating deck that is like trying to wack-a-mole or kill a cockroach; one pops back up immediately. That is not all though. Additionally, if you have a long round, your enemy will consume units and thus boosting nekkers by 1 wherever they are (with the sole exception of the graveyard). This will give highly boosted nekkers that can easily get in the double digits, and carry over because of deathwish. One match a couple of days ago, my opponent and I only had 2 or maybe 3 cards in our hands in the final round, and he had one nekker from the 2nd round deathwish carryover. He played a griffin, and suddenly he had 2 nekkers that were about 16-18 points each on top of griffin's 9. So, guess what? I lost with only having 2 cards left to play in the final round.

I just finished a ranked match a few minutes ago against another nekker consume deck and despite my control counters against that deck, I still lost. In the first round, thankfully my opponent went first so he played a nekker as his first card. I then used Mandrake right off the bat to not only kill it, but to also prevent it from entering his graveyard where Slyzard would pull another nekker from his deck. He played Toad Prince, and then passed. I of course only went down 1 card to win round 1. I thought, wow I actually shut down a nekker player from the start for once. I open passed in the 2nd round to have even cards with the opponent (I don't remember which card was his throw away in the 2nd round win). In the final round, he played his 2nd nekker immediately at the start. I used Corral to shut it down too. After that, he played his Shadow unit to pull a nekker from his deck. I knew my 2 previous efforts to eliminate the nekkers were in vain since I didn't have a counter to his third and final nekker. Of course, after that, he played nekker warriors and I knew I would probably lose since he naturally had Unseen Elder as his leader. Even though I had all four of my golds in the final round, and skellige storm on the opposite side of the board, I lost. Admittedly, this match was more unique than the other times against the nekker decks because he got a CaC Greatsword from my Operator, and he used the Caretaker to revive my Light Longship to be placed next to the Greatsword. Despite this unique aspect, I have lost against Unseen Elder's nekkers for what seems like every time despite changing my deck up on multiple occasions.

I explained all of the above essential parts of the nekker plays because I remember the guy who created the topic about NG reveal being OP was criticized for a lack of details on the first page before he added more information. I initially hated reveal Nilfgard post-patch with the Venedal Elites among other things, but I don't have anywhere near as much consistent trouble facing them, and I also just don't seem to face them much at all anymore. If you lose to the nekker consume deck in the first round, the deathwish of the nekker(s) activates and new ones spawn in the 2nd round, and so your opponent already has decently boosted units carrying over which can put you at a big card disadvantage if you even win the 2nd round. If you win in a long 1st or 2nd round, the nekkers become highly boosted for the final round from all of the enemy's consuming.

Okay, my rant against this frustrating deck is over in my first and long post in this topic.

Last edited:
I think a full out nekker deck, which is dedicated to the one strategy is pretty much in line with NR swarm or NG spies. I tend to have problems defeating all of these decks but then hey they get shut down by hard control decks so maybe its just time to swap to a control deck.

HTMekkatorque;n9828091 said:
I think a full out nekker deck, which is dedicated to the one strategy is pretty much in line with NR swarm or NG spies. I tend to have problems defeating all of these decks but then hey they get shut down by hard control decks so maybe its just time to swap to a control deck.
Apparently hard control is the only option. However, slots are really tight in my deck, and I already have Mandrake and Coral.

When I feel like going back to NG, I'll use Sweers or however you spell his name. That would be a great counter to swarm decks.

Didn't read the post but I think I know what this is about. I love when people complain about monster when it's STILL skellige meta. /s

Seriously? why we always ignore the top tier and blame anything that can beat skellige?

Edit: OOOOh I get it! it's because nekker deck is the only deck skellige can't have constant win!

Now I read the post, turns out it's skellige player, typical.

Last edited:
ResoundingBuahaha;n9828971 said:
Didn't read the post but I think I know what this is about. I love when people complain about monster when it's STILL skellige meta. /s

Seriously? why we always ignore the top tier and blame anything that can beat skellige?

Edit: OOOOh I get it! it's because nekker deck is the only deck skellige can't have constant win!

Now I read the post, turns out it's skellige player, typical.
Thanks for your positive contribution to this topic. I also use NG, but go ahead and dismiss my complaints. You're just an anonymous person on a chat board for a card game of all things and you get insulting towards another gamer. Edge lord to the max.

By the way, I don't even use King Bran and the popular discard types. Lately I have been using Clan an Craite Greatswords with Light Longships, but I thought you read my original post. I'm pretty sure that isn't a top tier deck, but go ahead and project your negative feelings about Skellige towards me.

I actually was curious what faction you used, and so I checked your profile only to see almost every post in a row of your history on the first page is bashing Skellige. That looks like an unhealthy fixation on some aspect of the game (Skellige). Tell you what, give me a pass on this topic complaining about nekker consume because I have a LONG ways to go before I reach your amount of complaints about a deck type. Btw, I won't reach that quantity of complaints because there are better things to do.

4RM3D, I appreciate those links you provided. I will check them out for sure to evaluate options for counters.

Sigurd_3;n9829671 said:
Thanks for your positive contribution to this topic. I also use NG, but go ahead and dismiss my complaints. You're just an anonymous person on a chat board for a card game of all things and you get insulting towards another gamer. Edge lord to the max.

By the way, I don't even use King Bran and the popular discard types. Lately I have been using Clan an Craite Greatswords with Light Longships, but I thought you read my original post. I'm pretty sure that isn't a top tier deck, but go ahead and project your negative feelings about Skellige towards me.

I actually was curious what faction you used, and so I checked your profile only to see almost every post in a row of your history on the first page is bashing Skellige. That looks like an unhealthy fixation on some aspect of the game (Skellige). Tell you what, give me a pass on this topic complaining about nekker consume because I have a LONG ways to go before I reach your amount of complaints about a deck type. Btw, I won't reach that quantity of complaints because there are better things to do.

4RM3D, I appreciate those links you provided. I will check them out for sure to evaluate options for counters.

So is there any reason we can say monster or nilfgard deserve more urgent nerf than skellige? Nekkers, for example, can be easily countered by all faction with cards generally already included or can be included with reasonable cost, as illustrated below

Neutral: Mandrome, Mandrake, Muzzle, scorch, Igni, hailstorm or even D - bomb
Monster: Same nekker deck, Silver lock, Succubus,
Skellige: Coral, Renew on Coral, harponer to deny Vran, silver lock, Herblist into Mandrome
Northern Realm: Machine to break the egg, Lady margarita to deny nekker, Radovid,
Nilfgard: Sweer, Peter, Auckles, and Emhyr & Cahir into any of those
Scoa'tael: Spell'tael mandrome, movement to deny Vran, or even just simply Ethine into Mandrome.

With this amount of counter I see no reason why people have trouble dealing with nekkers....Don't think I miss anything but feel free to add into the list.

If you think my complaint is irrational or really biased it's fine cuz I am as long as it's about skellige. But my opinion won't come out without a bit of reasoning and evidence. If certain archetype seems strong we simply alter our deck, it's a normal trade off between deck performance and meta adaptability, and that's exactly the case on nekkers. On the other hand counters against skellige is still unavailable to ST and NR so I think I have legit reason to complain.

And of course I play NR, if you are really interested.

I play a Nekker deck...I played this in the last season too. Everybody counters my deck. If I can't multiple Nekkers I lost. Last season played nobody Unseen Elder, so the "surprise-factor" was great. Now the Nekker deck is a thing. Everybody has counter against Nekkers. So it's very far from an OP-deck.

Nekker deck is strong and perhaps the strongest what monsters have to offer at the moment, but no deck can be considered OP or meta if it is so counterable. I mean it is a good and sometimes even annoying deck that got some serious synergy with slyzards, but if you have a faction that kills it just by looking at it (NG-sweers) and every other faction has ways to kill its main mechanic without which they are lost i can't really consider it OP.

I don't think it's OP. You just need targeting damagers and control like said above. Impera Enforcers for spy decks, biting frost and wild hunt units for Wild Hunt decks, alzur's thunder for Special Card Decks. The only faction that will seriously have trouble facing that deck is Skellige, because of the lack of damaging units, but really, there are ways, even for them, to get rid of the annoying nekkers.

My advice if you are having trouble is this. Focus on the nekkers and kill them while they are weak. Your opponent will play down the first one and use it as a template to breed more, start killing them fast and keep doing so. Place down more cards after your opponent passes if you must. Then let them get the round without playing anything. They won't play anything either but through their deathwish, you will have gotten rid of most of them if played right ;)

DRK3

Forum veteran
I agree with OP, the deck is ridiculous. People are talking about counters?

The other day, i had Mardroeme, Skellige silver lock, and silver medic to revive lock on another round, so i thought i was ok... Nope, if you banish it, they'll just call another one (there are now 3 silvers that do that!). If you kill them, they'll use the slyzard to call another one. Plus they use griffins to put several on the board. Yesterday i even faced one that got 4 nekkers on board, probably more if i had let him...

Yes, Sweers is a great counter, and probably the one i agree it actually works. But i dont want to have to use him everytime im facing these Nekker decks to have a chance, i've never faced a deck that caused me so much trouble, and i've been on Gwent +1 year.

DRK3;n9832011 said:

The other day, i had Mardroeme, Skellige silver lock, and silver medic to revive lock on another round, so i thought i was ok... Nope, if you banish it, they'll just call another one (there are now 3 silvers that do that!). If you kill them, they'll use the slyzard to call another one. Plus they use griffins to put several on the board. Yesterday i even faced one that got 4 nekkers on board, probably more if i had let him...

Yes, Sweers is a great counter, and probably the one i agree it actually works. But i dont want to have to use him everytime im facing these Nekker decks to have a chance, i've never faced a deck that caused me so much trouble, and i've been on Gwent +1 year.

Skellige has enough counter against Nekkers. Nekker - Coral...I have another Nekker in hand...Lugos. The last Nekker comes out...lacerate. And my deck is dead. And this happens very often. When a Skellige player sees Unseen Elder, he/she mulligans for this cards. Nekker deck has a great disadvantages: there is no "Plan B". Nekkers dead...match lost.

Last edited:
Been playing on Nekker Consume this patch and it's far from OP - there's so many counters to it. Lock, Artifact Compression, Scorch, etc. When you see them play Nekkers you know they only have one win condition, so it's not difficult to decide what to prioritise.

The only thing Nekkers do is generate a ton of points. That may sound like an absurd statement but it's not that different from some Skellige decks' endgame plan.

From experience, the reason the deck works so well is because opponents don't try to deal with Nekkers until it's too late. They focus on their own play rather than removing all Nekkers before they can ramp.
If you play Hearthstone, a rough analogy to this is like not dealing with Druid when he's ramping early game then complaining he gets too strong later.

Some advice for those struggling against Nekker Consume:
Try to remove all their Nekkers during round 1. I've found decks that run multiple weathers like Eredin tend to excel at bleeding them.

Don't rely on a single lock or artifact compressing to counter Nekkers. They're effective but not a complete shutdown. The whole point of cards like Slyzard is to circumvent these locks. You have to deal with Nekkers before they get strong, otherwise you're continuously swimming upstream. I tend to try and manage my Nekkers so even if I get scorched round 3, I have replacements.

By the way, Sweers is a card that is ridiculously strong on Nekkers - it's almost like a guaranteed win. Sweers is a mediocre choice versus most decks, but his ability is just stupidly strong against Nekkers specifically.

In short - No.
A little longer answer would say that it loses to Skellige and few other decks. It isn't OP the original poster presents it to be.

It's this rock, paper, scissors mechanics again.

DRK3;n9832011 said:

This is a game about counter and anti counter. If your opponent can pull it off after such counter he kinda deserve some credit. You can nevertheless have more counter IMO, like Coral

If you are playing a contrl NG Auckes is the ultimate counter. If you draw the Auckes, try to kill as much as nekkers in R1. If you won R1, DO NOT PASS R2.

In R2 opponent will try to make nekker strong as possible. Let them do that with right amount of tempo play, and when they are done, lock the nekkers with Auckes. Game over.

If you lost R1, they mostly will pass r2 with nekkers on their board. Lock them.

The one faction should not complain about nekker deck is NG control deck.... you have 2 locks with leader and cahir which gives 6 locks. They cannot withstand your lock ability with one lock cards.

Any more control oriented deck will have ways to counter it. However if you don't want to play a deck like that it can become "ridiculous" sometimes (the decks I currently like playing suffer a lot here, so I get the feeling).

But Nekkers are not the only deck where this is the case. For some decks Nekkers may feel OP, for others it's Spies or something else. For others those seem perfectly normal. Tricky to balance :)

Last edited:
devivre;n9833201 said:
But Nekkers are not the only deck where this is the case. For some decks Nekkers may feel OP, for others it's Spies or something else. For others those seem perfectly normal. Tricky to balance

It is like a trade off between "good at doing own stuff" and "good against meta". If a highly efficient deck (yes harpooner skellige) cannot beat nekker it might just focused too much on its own strategy. There are however, sufficient decent tool available for every faction to deal with nekker. If a player choose not to use enough of those tools they are very likely to be punished by nekkers. Such is just simple trade off IMO :D

DRK3

Forum veteran
bojerbela;n9832041 said:
Skellige has enough counter against Nekkers. Nekker - Coral...I have another Nekker in hand...Lugos. The last Nekker comes out...lacerate. And my deck is dead. And this happens very often. When a Skellige player sees Unseen Elder, he/she mulligans for this cards. Nekker deck has a great disadvantages: there is no "Plan B". Nekkers dead...match lost.

Maybe it's just me, that played SK decks that arent that aggressive and have that many control options.

The problem is you need to counter those Nekkers right away as they're played, otherwise if even one nekker warrior is played on a nekker, you're doomed.

If you lock nekkers, they're either unlock them or just use griffin to call another one.

If you kill all on board, they'll slyzard more into the board.

Basically you need to either banish / artefact compress all 3 original nekkers, or destroy those 3 without any being multiplied, otherwise a nekker player will always have a way to get more of those buggers.

DRK3;n9835361 said:
Maybe it's just me, that played SK decks that arent that aggressive and have that many control options.

The problem is you need to counter those Nekkers right away as they're played, otherwise if even one nekker warrior is played on a nekker, you're doomed.

If you lock nekkers, they're either unlock them or just use griffin to call another one.

If you kill all on board, they'll slyzard more into the board.

Basically you need to either banish / artefact compress all 3 original nekkers, or destroy those 3 without any being multiplied, otherwise a nekker player will always have a way to get more of those buggers.
My thoughts exactly. Don't forget the silver unit Shadow too. He can summon a nekker, and that is what one of the enemies in my original post did after I banished his first 2 nekkers before he could make copies of them with nekker warriors. Killing them and putting them in the graveyard, even if it is the third original nekker, is no safe bet because of slyzard. Even if you lock a nekker, an enemy can still use nekker warriors to make copies, or like you said, use griffen to "call another one."

Top Bottom