A question for people that run 3+ Scorches

+
All the cards that torch your deck are magic for ST only. As they play many small units that are never in range of scorch. Scorch normally is fine just terribly annoying with this new interest in ST. Scortch, create scortch, revive scortch, activate igni, bring out the Dragon. Over kill against normal non ST decks

Nothing but ST decks at lower ranks. Doubt I will even get to rank 14 again this season. Unless I use the netdeck they are all using. What a shame..such a great game spoiled by the internet and humans simply copying/milling ALL other cards so the new players will be in with a shout of winning. Which is fair enough.
I have to say though it is nice to see ST doing well but...playing against them with a non-netdeck means I generally lose. Because PRO players made those decks that everyone is copying.

(ranked) Not sure what the future is for the game online at the this point for me. When you are getting beat at lower ranks (even though you have a good deck) it's frustrating. I keep saying this (banging my head against a brick wall) I DO NOT want to see advanced cards that ONLY advanced players have access to at lower ranks. It's just not right. I can mill the current netdeck if I want...I've got lots of ore etc but....nah

Let the kids have their fun..I should know better really i'm over 40 haha

Last edited:
gards;n10514952 said:
Nothing but ST decks at lower ranks. Doubt I will even get to rank 14 again this season. Unless I use the netdeck they are all using. What a shame..such a great game spoiled by the internet and humans simply copying/milling ALL other cards so the new players will be in with a shout of winning. Which is fair enough.
I have to say though it is nice to see ST doing well but...playing against them with a non-netdeck means I generally lose. Because PRO players made those decks that everyone is copying.

(ranked) Not sure what the future is for the game online at the this point for me. When you are getting beat at lower ranks (even though you have a good deck) it's frustrating. I keep saying this (banging my head against a brick wall) I DO NOT want to see advanced cards that ONLY advanced players have access to at lower ranks. It's just not right. I can mill the current netdeck if I want...I've got lots of ore etc but....nah

Not sure if serious. You don't need a meta netdeck to get rank 14. In fact its easy to get 4k with any decent deck.

"For every Scorch I cast, I think of my da. He would be proud. I think."

My fav deck is called: "Eithné's Scorch", I run Schirrù and Isengrim: Outlaw to be sure there are plenty of them.
It's the spell card I resurrect the most with Eithné.
I also regret not being able to include Villentretenmerth (for strategic reasons, to be honest I like his work).
Sometimes I scorch my own units to BM enemies.
Sometimes I scorch my own units and release a "Bloede Verrin!" taunt to make it look unintentional.
(ok, 9 times out of 10 it's indeed unintentional, but still...)

I find the card to be the best one in terms of game balance, as it punishes big proactive plays and has enough drawbacks not to be considered broken.

Lately I'm using a scoia'tael deck with Shirru, Geralt:Igni and Ragh Nar Roog. To help Geralt hit as many target as possible i use ragh to alline the most powerful enemies and, if they are scattered between the 3 lanes, move them in a single lane with dwarven mercenaries. Having a great fun.

nunqmuo;n10515812 said:
Not sure if serious. You don't need a meta netdeck to get rank 14. In fact its easy to get 4k with any decent deck.

I don't work for CDPR, 8 hours a day. So your statement is incorrect. The reason I have never been beyond rank 14 is because I don't play the game enough and i'm also not a good enough player.

gards;n10514952 said:

You really can't win enough games to get to 18 without a net deck?

I've been playing about with a scorch deck (scorch, gIgni, Villentrent, renew, NG Yennifer). It needs a specific deck that doesn't stack 'tall units.' It's different to play but it doesn't feel super powerful. It's a variant of this deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz55rsiMI4&t=351s

Scorch decks are playable but you need to be more aware of different cards that interact with your deck. Using scorch means deck construction needs to take this into consideration. Opponent spy can interfere and the use of weedy swarm units means the decks that use scorch effects can be extremely vulnerable to weather. Tremors also wrecks such decks.

To answer the OP's question re: whether it's worth crafting all those golds, remember most players play around scorch effects so each scorch may only take down 1 unit. It's a different deck and promotes a different playstyle. I'd just wait for the next PTR, play with the deck and decide whether you like playing that way before crafting. That said, it's satisfying if you can pop one and 5 units go up in smoke.

LMAO, "Double-edged" sword my arse. A deck that allow scorch 4x like Scorch'tael uses RNG to create low strength elves swarm so that players can happily play scorch without burning themselves. How many times the Scorch'tael players have to throw scorch to the grave compared to the times you burn opponents? Only 3 year old kid would believe the "doble-edged" B*.

Who else thinks Schirru and Villentretenmerth need their abilities changed? :p Villen was once a double scorch but this was too powerful when golds were immune. Take its body down to 7 and make it double again now that the opponent can stop it

on the other hand, all scorch creating cards were supposed to have a drawback. With schirru that was having to sacrifice a card from your hand. Villen , you need to wait 3 turns for. G:Igni hits only one row. Aglais and Eithne need the scorchin the GY while Nature's gift needs it in the deck. And Yen enchantress needs it to be the last spell one played.

Currently the only exception is Schirru who can spawn it immediately, no setup and gets the option of epidemic too. CDPR didnt like that I:M was an auto include in ST decks but Schirru is fine being more popular than that card ever was?

Scorch is a potentially devastating silver card and in my opinion one you should have to pay for in a way. Give Schirru his old ability again which was very strategic and made sense. Or a rework. Not because he is necessarily too powerful (even though he is an auto include in ST decks and that's saying something ) but because of his complete inconsistency compared to the rest of the scorchers

ser2440;n10563642 said:
Who else thinks Schirru and Villentretenmerth need their abilities changed? :p Villen was once a double scorch but this was too powerful when golds were immune. Take its body down to 7 and make it double again now that the opponent can stop it

on the other hand, all scorch creating cards were supposed to have a drawback. With schirru that was having to sacrifice a card from your hand. Villen , you need to wait 3 turns for. G:Igni hits only one row. Aglais and Eithne need the scorchin the GY while Nature's gift needs it in the deck. And Yen enchantress needs it to be the last spell one played.

Currently the only exception is Schirru who can spawn it immediately, no setup and gets the option of epidemic too. CDPR didnt like that I:M was an auto include in ST decks but Schirru is fine being more popular than that card ever was?

Scorch is a potentially devastating silver card and in my opinion one you should have to pay for in a way. Give Schirru his old ability again which was very strategic and made sense. Or a rework. Not because he is necessarily too powerful (even though he is an auto include in ST decks and that's saying something ) but because of his complete inconsistency compared to the rest of the scorchers

I'm agree with that, I really miss the old Shiru, if nothing else because he was far more tactical to use.
Now he's kinda boring in comparison. He's just a Scorch on a stick (that can occasionally be an epidemic on a stick) nothing exciting really.

Plse, CDPR, bring us the good old Shiru.

For me it, its all about the thrill of trimming units for perfect multiple scorches, 30+ points from 1 scorch, multiple times in a game if their running high value and high power cards.

ST Archers are the heart and soul of a true scorch deck, their ability to align odd and even numbers for scorches is great and Myrtabrkke is Vill's little brother, great pair.

It's cruel and obnoxious but so are a lot of other strategies, pointless in complaining about it.

I would say even the most dim-witted fellow could play a scorch deck and win, but doing it effectively and consistently takes a fair bit of maths and patience, especially against multiple ships and greatswords and other funky decks.

All in all the thrill of using the card quickly fades and becomes monotonous as does the trimming.

It's the most primitive strategy for sure, especially considering all the cool new cards you can base decks on.

I usually only play Control if I'm having a lot trouble moving up a rank, but getting to 18 every season is starting to become easier, SK is suiting me fine now.

There are plenty other gold cards with "silver special on a stick" so imho Schirru fits perfectly. If I were to follow your reasoning I suppose Coral should be changed as well? It's not like you could avoid you Greatsword getting transformed in that case you may actually wish for it just getting scorched so you can resurrect it.
Inever had to pay for Scorch for it was included in my starter deck I got back in CB. For me the trimming never becomes monotounous, the thrill of preparing it against the struggle to avoid it - that is a mind battle I am strifing for while playing Gwent.

Yours sincerely

A lady who just wants to see the board burn

There are plenty other gold cards with "silver special on a stick" so imho Schirru fits perfectly. If I were to follow your reasoning I suppose Coral should be changed as well? It's not like you could avoid you Greatsword getting transformed in that case you may actually wish for it just getting scorched so you can resurrect it.
Inever had to pay for Scorch for it was included in my starter deck I got back in CB. For me the trimming never becomes monotounous, the thrill of preparing it against the struggle to avoid it - that is a mind battle I am strifing for while playing Gwent.

Not exactly, I explained what their disadvantages/requirements of setup were. Like I said, Aglais needs it in the opponent's graveyard, Nature's Gift needs it in the deck, Eithne needs it in the Graveyard,Villentretenmerth takes 3 turns, G:Igni only scorches 1 row.

Schirru is the only one that breaks away from this pattern, which makes him a pretty inconsistent scorcher, compared to the rest.

ser2440;n10565782 said:
Not exactly, I explained what their disadvantages/requirements of setup were. Like I said, Aglais needs it in the opponent's graveyard, Nature's Gift needs it in the deck, Eithne needs it in the Graveyard,Villentretenmerth takes 3 turns, G:Igni only scorches 1 row.

Schirru is the only one that breaks away from this pattern, which makes him a pretty inconsistent scorcher, compared to the rest.

Aglais, Eithne and Nature's Gift are not exclusive to Scorch, so you cannot compare them 1 on 1. Igni is neutral and Villenmethingy, while being neutral, also has more strength (and armor). Furthermore, the comparison Easha made with Coral actually makes sense.

Aglais, Eithne and Nature's Gift are not exclusive to Scorch, so you cannot compare them 1 on 1. Igni is neutral and Villenmethingy, while being neutral, also has more strength (and armor). Furthermore, the comparison Easha made with Coral actually makes sense.

I'd say that depends on what I am comparing. I am not comparing the cards themselves but merely their ability to scorch. Obviously they have differences but some standard grounds need to be set for comparison as well as what we are comparing them as. Hence why I included cards that don't just do that like EIthne, Aglais, Nature's Gift and Yen: Enchantress in my comparison. So when it comes to how they scorch the pattern is there.

As for the comparison with Coral, it does but it is irrelevant because my problem is not that Schirru is a 4 point body with Scorch. If that was the problem, Coral would belong in that category too and it would be relevant to point out. My problem with schirru is that compared to all the other scorchers he is set apart by his lack of weaknesses and need of setup when every other scorcher is hindered, at least somewhat, by one of the two.

Sure you could say Coral does so too compared to Eithne on AC, Aglais on AC, Yen: Enchantress on AC, but AC does not possess Scorch's capacity for Destruction and that's why it is far rarer. My general feeling is that golds that produce/play scorch require some mild setup (building around) because Scorch can be potentially devastating, whereas AC is more of a targeted perma-banish ( a bit problematic too but it doesn't feel the same, nor does there seem to be the same amount of options)

ser2440;n10566622 said:
My general feeling is that golds that produce/play scorch require some mild setup (building around) because Scorch can be potentially devastating, whereas AC is more of a targeted perma-banish ( a bit problematic too but it doesn't feel the same, nor does there seem to be the same amount of options)

But you still forgot to look at the strength differences. Villenmethingy is only good because of its strength, though the delayed effect is still nice when you don't have CA in the final round. Schirru is just Scorch on a stick. That's why he only has 4 strength. Otherwise you might as well run just Scorch. Also, faction cards should have something special compared to neutral cards.

Whether or not the Scorch mechanic as a whole is fine, is a different matter. Either way, Schirru is balanced compared to other similar cards.

Top Bottom