Wolfsbane, possibly the most underwhelming/least value Gold card.

+
Wolfsbane, possibly the most underwhelming/least value Gold card.

So I know a lot of the new golds are lackluster, but something about Wolfsbane just downright bothers me. It basically has a minimum value of 6points (theoretically 0) and a maximum value of 12. A maximum of 12 points. Gold cards usually have the potential to exceed 18+ points, usually with ease, otherwise they help immensely in setting up good combos or provide surgical strike hard counters. Not the case with Wolfsbane, its basically just a 12 point swing. Can anyone name a worse or more static Gold card?

Bloody Baron, you don't even have the 12 cap. usually it's a dead card around 8-10

And you are mis-judging wolfbane., if you play it from hand sure 12 is too low, but the fact is you are not supposed to play it in your hand, rather, discarding with Bran or Johnny is a much reasonable use. Current experience have shown this card is in fact a skellige exclusive gold. It serve as a guaranteed R1 tempo (And it's incredibly strong) without actually playing the card. Not only this card is not weak and probably deserve a nerf but also it should belong to its correct faction (skellige instead of neutral) .

Last edited:
Wolfsbane is not a bad card. Actually, it's an extremely strong card. The problem, though, is that it can only be used effectively by a very select type of deck, most noteworthy Skellige Discard. Making it a neutral card might be a bit odd, but in the end there is nothing wrong with it.

In my experience Wolfsbane is a strong card, sometimes it even pushes me out of a round.
We should not judge a card only from its raw strength: Wolfsbane has a nice sinergy with Bran and it behaves like a Clan an Craite Raider... only better.

ResoundingBuahaha;n9848261 said:
Bloody Baron, you don't even have 12 cap.

When I manage to push Bloody Baron to 12 value by killing 6 opposing unit I consider myself quite lucky...
Most of the times the value that I get is 10.

sfruzz;n9848361 said:
When I manage to push Bloody Baron to 12 value by killing 6 opposing unit I consider myself quite lucky... Most of the times the value that I get is 10.

That's the point, Baron is even worse in raw power than 12 point gold, and with anti synergy blocking Dj extra :D man I literally cannot find a worse card than Baron

ResoundingBuahaha;n9848261 said:
discarding with Bran or Johnny is a much reasonable use.

4RM3D;n9848281 said:
The problem, though, is that it can only be used effectively by a very select type of deck, most noteworthy Skellige Discard. Making it a neutral card might be a bit odd, but in the end there is nothing wrong with it.

sfruzz;n9848361 said:
Wolfsbane has a nice sinergy with Bran and it behaves like a Clan an Craite Raider... only better.

All valid points and thanks for the responses. I never actually thought of or saw Wolfsbane being used by itself, but since it's effect is delayed, you don't really get that 12 swing on the turn you use it. Just to clarify, I don't hate Wolfsbane, just the part that it's a Gold. I think it fits more as a Silver. I might also just be comparing it too much with Cerys, another Gold discard card, which can easily surpass 18+ value. IMO, Wolfsbane is just too static to be Gold. Maybe I should have made my title "Shouldn't Wolfsbane be Silver?".

Regarding Baron, yeah, I know it can be very difficult to get him up to 12, but he has the potential to go above 15 (if your against a deathwish and consume deck). And yeah, he's basically a no-no with Dijkstra, but does have some synergy with Philippa and Vernon Roche. Even if it doesn't happen often, a Gold card should have the potential to go beyond 12, which is why Wolfsbane bothers me.

Last edited:
sfruzz;n9848361 said:
In my experience Wolfsbane is a strong card, sometimes it even pushes me out of a round.
We should not judge a card only from its raw strength: Wolfsbane has a nice sinergy with Bran and it behaves like a Clan an Craite Raider... only better.

Personally, I feel Neutral cards should not favor a specific faction. If it has so much synergy with Skellige then make it an SK Gold unit. Or a SK Silver, since it's a tad weak for a Gold.

m0bius8;n9849411 said:
I feel Neutral cards should not favor a specific faction.

I agree with that but you can't blame a card if it has a good synergy with a faction. For example supposedly Regis HV should have a good synergy with consume decks but it's not that valuable unless you are facing few-unit-decks like Spelltael. Same goes for Wolfsbane. Neutral and not as strong as faction specific golds. I would take a Renew for Coral anytime if i were a SK player.

altaybek;n9849811 said:
I agree with that but you can't blame a card if it has a good synergy with a faction. For example supposedly Regis HV should have a good synergy with consume decks but it's not that valuable unless you are facing few-unit-decks like Spelltael. Same goes for Wolfsbane. Neutral and not as strong as faction specific golds. I would take a Renew for Coral anytime if i were a SK player.

You're right about Regis HV having more synergy with Consume but it is a Good card overall. No matter what faction you play it with it give you good value. Same isn't the case with Wolfsbane. I feel it should be a Silver at best. Nothing to say about Coral save I miss her previous ability, It was just more interesting imo :p

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, dont bother playing Wolfsbane from the hand - use Bran to discard it from deck, or Ermion or that silver SK dude to discard from hand, or even better, use johnny (which works for all factions ) and get both the wolfsbane value and a gold from your opponent's.

I only tested it a bit when it came available, and I might not have used it in best possible way, and I'm not a competitive player either, so feel free to ignore this opinion if you feel like it :) I lost interest to that card pretty quickly (which is kinda sad, because it has awesome artwork!)

But here is my opinion:
I felt that it would be better as a silver card. Didn't feel like using a gold slot for it.
If it is gold, maybe it could be more interesting, if the timer resets itself during the round when the card has been played. However, in that case, the values should be smaller.

And yeah, this opinion might still change, once I get to test that card a bit more. This is just my first amateur impression.

DRK3;n9850231 said:
use johnny (which works for all factions ) and get both the wolfsbane value and a gold from your opponent's.

Yeah, I totally agree that it has extremely high, the best, value when used with Johny.

Sunsibar;n9850501 said:
I felt that it would be better as a silver card. Didn't feel like using a gold slot for it. If it is gold, maybe it could be more interesting, if the timer resets itself during the round when the card has been played. However, in that case, the values should be smaller.

I do agree with you here. Like what I said in a previous reply, I think it should be silver (maybe I should have edited the title or edited my original post). Your timer idea sounds good or also something like how Prisicilla's timer works, with smaller values as well.

You can use it with Jonny. Then it will give you another gold.
If lucky.
But, you are right, it is kinda unstable and unpretictable.

I don't like the design of this card. There is only one leader, which really benefits from this card and I don't think King Bran needed any buffs.

ZenaRose;n9851441 said:
When ppl is using Roach because its free 4 points, but they are sure that free 12 points is bad...

And how exactly is this remotely free?

Anyway, regarding the card i think the effect should be split. For example have the buff part apply instantly when playing the card and the damage part while the card is in graveyard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom