MIDWINTER UPDATE - CARD REVEALS (SCOIA'TAEL)

+
Francesca's only weakness is the extreme slow tempo. She needs a buff something like deploy: you may mulligan any card, then play an elf from your deck.

Idea for Broover Hoog: Deploy: Strengthen any dwarf on board @ your side, in your deck, on your hand and then play a dwarf from your deck. So poor Dennis Cranmer gets obsolete.

Last edited:
Nymph137;n10002901 said:
Honestly, I'm a little dissappointed with the new ST cards in general with a couple of exceptions like elven blade, new Malena and Iorveth, the rest are quite meh. I hope they also either rework Francesca so that she casts spells for example, or buff her so that there is a reason to use her. As she's now she's the second worst leader and, overall, ST is played by only 9%.

I do not know what others think about Francesca but making her cast spells would make her almost identical to Eithne. The spell archetype has already a good leader.

My explanation for why Francesca is underplayed is that the mulligan archetype - the one that she was designed for- is not popular/strong.

I personally use her in my movement deck. It is not tier A deck but I find it fun to play with and I'd say that this archetype is in need of a proper leader.

Hello, fellow Scoia'Tael,

I must agree with Supremedeitas. Iorveth : meditation is a just a good/great card .Its capacity is really interesting but also situational.

I:M can serve 2 goals : removing a weak enemy with an annoying ability (engines, kaedweni siege support...) or destroying a powerful target and weaken another.

For the first goal, we already have classical Iorveth who does it better. Since he has a 7 body and can kill any 7 power enemy (or less) without any condition, he rarely fails to be useful. Moreover, he gives you a lot of free points if he destroys his target at the beginning of the game.
I:M, on the other hand, has a weak body. To compensate for this weakness, you must always ensure that he will destroy one target and deeply hurting another one, which is possible only if there is at least a 12 power enemy on the battlefield.

For the second goal, we already have Scorch, which allows us to destroy multiple powerful targets with the same power.
Iorveth ability is harder to use. In order to destroy a powerful target (20 power for example) you need a less powerful one (13 power). Once again, this is very situational.
Moreover, a lot of decks (like northern realms ones) don't rely on powerful cards, for the moment. In some cases, I:M will tend to be useless.

I nevertheless like this card, since it serves multiple goals and has no backfire, contrary to Scorch.
I also think that Iorveth and Yaevinn will work well together.

Do we know the definitive power of Iorveth : meditation ? On the cards reveal, he is supposed to be 2 power, but on gwent database, he appears to be 5 power. Which source prevails ?

About Francesca, she is my main leader. I do like her ability which allows me to adapt to any situation, even if I agree that it is low tempo. Maybe CDR could set her power to 9, or add some interesting cards with mulligan abilities...

The new bronzes all seem not really usefull or having good synergies with existing things. The silvers all seem pretty good and the golds are ok. All in all the new cards in past patches felt a lot more usefull.

hmmmm i have the feeling, they don`t know, what to do with ST. Most of the Cards are useless and the Rest is k, but not rly Importent or any Synergie.... hmm

I agree that it seems they do not really know what to do with ST. And not only in a mechanical way but also in flavor. NR has cursed, SK has bears, NG slaves, Monsters... well hey have like three new flavors, but not for ST. I guess you could argue that St has traps, but honestly hey could really use some direct synergy for them (In flavor and mechanics). ALSO why a jaguar? Anybody know how a jaguar is connected to ST?

There were supposed to be 2 more bronzes ( according to playgwent page, up until the "revealed cards" page got updated ). Wtf?
MO: 23 new cards ( with loads of new bronzes ), ST: 15... Nice.

So, the new "leader" is pretty much a worse version of new Isengrim? ( "create" is the new lame rng-spawn, right? ) :confused:

The new stream was a total letdown...

P.S. A totally random thought, but, i miss old Saskia.

Yeah i still think there are more cards yet to be shown also we have to see balance changes and any ability changes to current cards only a few highlights in all of new ST cards

Monsters got a lot of current cards reintroduced as new ones. If you substract at least one Speartip, the Arachas Queen, Alghoul and Barbarazi, they don't have so much more than the other factions.
But I agree that ST could have gotten a few more extra cards.

FG15-ISH7EG;n10018731 said:
Monsters got a lot of current cards reintroduced as new ones. If you substract at least one Speartip, the Arachas Queen, Alghoul and Barbarazi, they don't have so much more than the other factions.
But I agree that ST could have gotten a few more extra cards.

maybe they will show that during PTR all the current vampire cards ability got changed

So basically Spella'tael got another leader option? I'll make sure to use him in a non-spell deck, just because. :p

bilbo.baggins;n10017911 said:
So, the new "leader" is pretty much a worse version of new Isengrim? ( "create" is the new lame rng-spawn, right? ) :confused:

It seems that Create, contrary to Spawn, is faction locked. I don't know if it includes the neutral cards as well.
If Create allows you to choose 1 out of 3 cards among your faction, then our new leader may be really interesting.

It's right that a lot of "new" monsters cards are just old ones with new names.

But all in all, it appears that MO, NR and NG have 3 more new cards than ST and SK. And some NG cards seem to be absolutely terrifying.

Fortunately, some new neutral cards are interesting in a ST deck.

But i do hope that several old ST cards will be reworked.

Wow. The new Schirru (4 Points, Spawn Scorch or Epidemic) is a better Gerald: Igni.

edit: The Mahakam Volunteers are realy cool. 3 power, Summon all copies & resilent.

Last edited:
I don't get it, why Filavandrel (or whatever it's spelled) is a worse version basically of Isengrim Outlaw? Sure, +1 power but IO have more versatility since you can play a unit if you don't need a spell...

DMaster2;n10030001 said:
I don't get it, why Filavandrel (or whatever it's spelled) is a worse version basically of Isengrim Outlaw? Sure, +1 power but IO have more versatility since you can play a unit if you don't need a spell...

Woodland Spirit > Dagon; same thing. Anyhow, there are two reasons:

1. Consistency: having the guarantee you always have the leader available.
2. Re-use: can use both Filavandrel and Isengrim for double the effect, or triple with Renew.

Still, there is little reason to use Filavandrel because Eithné is almost always better because you can put the spell of your choice in the graveyard quite easily, to be replayed by Eithné. However, Filavandrel might see some play in the new arena game mode.

4RM3D;n10030051 said:
Woodland Spirit > Dagon; same thing. Anyhow, there are two reasons:

1. Consistency: having the guarantee you always have the leader available.
2. Re-use: can use both Filavandrel and Isengrim for double the effect, or triple with Renew.

Still, there is little reason to use Filavandrel because Eithné is almost always better because you can put the spell of your choice in the graveyard quite easily, to be replayed by Eithné. However, Filavandrel might see some play in the new arena game mode.
Renew is unit only (no leader), so that works only with Isengrim. Unless they changed something i'm not aware of. How do you reuse a leader, other than Cahir which is a NG gold card?

DMaster2;n10042641 said:
Renew is unit only (no leader), so that works only with Isengrim.

That's what I meant with the triple effect: Filavandrel then Isengrim and finally Renew on Isengrim.

Top Bottom