MIDWINTER UPDATE - CARD REVEALS (SCOIA'TAEL)

+
frytom;n9949081 said:
If we all see and agree, that there is a competitive & increasing gap between ST and all the other factions, what has concretely to be done? CDPR has to close the gap. It means, that new introduced ST cards have to be better than the other new ones just helping to reduce or finally close the competitive gap.

On that we can agree. It's just fruitless to compare individual cards between factions. Instead, the faction as a whole should be examined.

When they nerfed the carryover last season that finished me because I was carrying over units boosted very high. I dodged scorch, Gigni, reset etc etc so in the end I might only have 1/2 of them on the board and usually be 3/4 cards down on the opponent. Play 1 card that plays another 1/2/3 cards. I'm not a fan of this tbh QG springs to mind. You can buff the hell out of the QG's in the graveyard and play them in all 3 rounds. Can't do that with BMC's.

Monsters swarm/consume. Don't mind i'll scorch these
NG spy deck...SO boring to play against. Reveal...meh
NR swarm/commandos etc etc 32 card decks. Not winning against these guys
SK ress deck....hardly EVER beat these gits. Massive bodies and very high points.
SC..well..it's spell or movement I guess. I haven't played movement for ages though.
I'm looking forward to the new cards and seeing how they go. Very interested hearing about playing Dennis cramer 4 times haha

clever, clever..

Vatt.ghern;n9949031 said:
It is a bit unclear tbh. I would assume that it does count. You don't even need to get too gimmicky with Guards actually, just get a 4x Dennis trigger (with Decoy/Milva), play a 12 str Zoltan (or 14 with Decree) and slam that sweet 23 points Xavier. Shame that his strength updates with every Dorf you play, he would have been a nice finisher if he kept the strength of the highest dorf you played albeit probably on the unbalanced side of things. I will definitely try him in my multi-Dennis deck, he looks like a fun card.

But this pretty much sums up my problem with the card. It states "starting power". Because of this, I'd assume it means value in the deck builder. Thus, Dennis boosts give this card absolutely nothing, as it isn't starting power. This is why there is no real synergy for boosting the other dwarves, and the highest he can get is 18 (yes, I'd forgotten Cleaver).

SkippyHole;n9951571 said:
But this pretty much sums up my problem with the card. It states "starting power". Because of this, I'd assume it means value in the deck builder. Thus, Dennis boosts give this card absolutely nothing, as it isn't starting power. This is why there is no real synergy for boosting the other dwarves, and the highest he can get is 18 (yes, I'd forgotten Cleaver).

In the stream they said that the Starting Power is the power the unit was spawned with. So I assume it counts buffs and/or strengthens. If they didn't word it like that people would assume that you could play a Dwarf, buff it while on board and then Xavier would boost by the current strength of the Dwarf, while he actually copies with the one the unit was played.

Vatt.ghern;n9952291 said:
In the stream they said that the Starting Power is the power the unit was spawned with. So I assume it counts buffs and/or strengthens. If they didn't word it like that people would assume that you could play a Dwarf, buff it while on board and then Xavier would boost by the current strength of the Dwarf, while he actually copies with the one the unit was played.

Hmm I don't remember them saying anything like that in the stream. If that's the case it certainly makes this card a lot better, as well as if it's the last card spawned, not played. It's certainly not clear in the wording.

Vatt.ghern;n9952291 said:

In the Gwentlemen's Talkshow Burza said starting power is the base power.

Man... I was dreaming of 20+ STR Zoltan in R3 (I actually pushed him to 29 a few times), followed by a 29+ STR Xavier... would be neat.

... but I guess it wasn't meant to be... :(

SkippyHole;n9953321 said:
Hmm I don't remember them saying anything like that in the stream. If that's the case it certainly makes this card a lot better, as well as if it's the last card spawned, not played. It's certainly not clear in the wording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNrLjRQoMeo They talk about starting power around the 6.40 minute mark, but if Burza clarified Starting Power in the talkshow, as biblo said, then probably what they said on the stream doesn't matter. I 'm kinda of disappointed tbh, that card sounds pretty bad then. I honestly didn't think it would have been gamebreaking if it counted boosts, and it would have been worth building around. They could have tweaked his base str a bit lower if they feared insane numbers. A shame. It will be too situational now, since a/ you have to play Cleaver to get max value b/ wait for the best moment to play Cleaver and then c/ commit to not play any Dwarves after Cleaver so you don't lose points on Xavier.

Elven Scouts seem rather interesting... restricting deck building (can't put in what you want to get from them) while simultaneously providing access to a wider range of units.

:hmm:

With the little synergie between elves and dwarves, the Elven Scout doesn't seem to usefull. More likely than not, that you will get something that you don't need.
If it spawned only elves, who are not in the starting deck, it would be much better.

All the possibilities we get with ST we can now play the Elven-Scout and get a Sage .. without any bronce spells in graveyard it would be useless but hay .. or you get a elven mercenary and you dont have a spell in your deck ... or a DBP with a strength of 2 ... awesome.

Elven Scout as a elven version of agitator would have been decent. But it's too random now.

edit: actually it would probably be too good in a handbuff deck.

Elven Scout seems like she has potential for the new game mode. Otherwise I can't really think of a way she can work.

Paulie Dahlberg on the other hand seems really strong for Dwarf decks. Skirmishers aren't support, right? (Of course they might get the tag in the upcoming patch) These are an excellent rez target, considering they strengthen themselves.

Vatt.ghern;n9958451 said:
Elven Scout seems like she has potential for the new game mode. Otherwise I can't really think of a way she can work.

Paulie Dahlberg on the other hand seems really strong for Dwarf decks. Skirmishers aren't support, right? (Of course they might get the tag in the upcoming patch) These are an excellent rez target, considering they strengthen themselves.
Dwarves only thank god.

If Paulie wasn't Dwarves only, Hattori would be completly useless. But after Hattori, he is the next character not really fitting for a revival effect. Milo Vanderbeck would have been a much more solid choice for either of those effects.

Elven Scout might be the worst Gwent card i've seen. I'm not talking about just bad, the card is ludicrous! Yeah, sure, let's not use a bronze that works in my deck and synergizes with my other cards... I'll just use the E.S. so i can get a random card! The only use i can think of for E.S. is in a deck with Schirru, so you can have a garbage card that you can transform into Scorch!

At least the Dwarfs are getting a couple of decent silvers. Too bad i barely use Dwarf cards...

The only thing that i like so far is the new Alzur's, which indirectly buffs Ithlinne ( and by the way, i hope at some point they replace the lame Hazard option with something else, who uses Ithlinne to cast bronze weather? :rolleyes: Unless, of course, they add a couple of new good Hazard cards ).

Only 3 bronzes, 2 silvers and 1 gold to go. I'm not at all optimistic. And i'm dreading the new ST leader reveal...

Elven Scout: Just shoot yourself in the foot and smile while your're hurting yourself... Oh boy. The Elven Scout is a double blind girl, tapping in the forrest, bringing another guy, who doesn't fit into your deck, sounds perfectly, right? May the illness be with you. ST you are used to get the worst of the worst, don't ask yourself why you cannot compete. It's all about fate and destiny. If you want to climb the ladder, well leave the woods and join other factions. We accommodate all illness that can be done and we're proud of.

The third revealing edition of the midwinter patch shows more worst of the worst ST cards you can ever create. I really miss high STR ST bodies. Where are they? Do we get them? When it will happen? I thought, we had agreed, that ST needs a generally competitive revisionism...

Simply spoken, it's more evidently, that the midwinter patch is all about preparing Gwent for a "fun" game mode (and new "fun" leaders) and it is absolutely nothing about competitive factional rebalancing. So time passes unused and the factional rebalancing (more a large ST boosting...) remains a large building site, where nobody is taking care of. But as I told before, ST has already the most fun (and the most less competitive) cards in Gwent.

ST fans - please hold the line. Just enjoy your pain and suffering. Deep in the woods. Cripple yourself or get crippled by developers. Stay tuned for more exciting news: "Breaking news! Scoia'Tael got competitive and viable again!!!"

P.S. ST fans outcry:"All other factions get better new cards!" Answer by the developers:"Yes, that's what we call diversity! We can do it - so let's make it."

Last edited:
It isn't mentioned in the card description that Elven Scout spawns a "random" unit. So it could actually be a quit good, if you choose your card.

Top Bottom