MIDWINTER UPDATE - CARD REVEALS (NORTHERN REALMS)

+
esra01;n9918241 said:
And the winch is just a bad card lol. Spawn a bronze machine ( implies there are going to be silver/gold machines ) and boost it by 2. Why put this card when you can put in an actual machine card to your deck and not rely on RNG? ( I read from a youtube comment that spawn means you get to choose 3 random card ).

You haven't seen the rest of the card line-up. I'm sure there will be more cards that synergize with Winch, not to mention that existing cards might change. It's too early to be(come) disappointed.

esra01;n9918241 said:
Damn CDPR is very good at making NR players disappointed. I mean seriously Seltkirk is very bad lol , if "duel" ability is going to stay the same then he is just a retarded version of Iorveth. But since this card is printed it means CDPR has some kind of handbuff mechanic for NR, right? But again then it means Seltkirk is just a retarded version of Dol Blathanna Swordmaster that starts at 7 base power.

And for the silver slot comes Vincent, with current revealed cards Vincent is just a terrible card. There's no way there are going to be more than 20+ armor on the board unless they are going to add mass armor card that is going to make Vincent viable. Well it could happen but it is very hard to make it happen.

And the winch is just a bad card lol. Spawn a bronze machine ( implies there are going to be silver/gold machines ) and boost it by 2. Why put this card when you can put in an actual machine card to your deck and not rely on RNG? ( I read from a youtube comment that spawn means you get to choose 3 random card ).

I just hope that the devs are going to put in more reliable crewman unit that machine deck need

I have to say that I completly disagree with you.

Vincent might not be worth to run, if you have targets like Trolololo with lots of armour, but their are a lot of units, who have armour, but it isn't really worth to remove it with Dun Heavy Cavalry, like the Redanian Knight, which is run in a lot of decks against weather. And against enemies without weather, they are not that strong, such that Vincent could be usefull.
2 Redanian Knights +Vincent are 2*11+10 Power which is the average value for 2 bronzes +1 silver. If you have other cards that give armour, which you might not need such as Stennis, or the enemy has armour, Vincent gets even stronger.
So I think, he will definetly be worth it in the right set up.

The winch gives access to siege units, boosts them and furthermore can have incredible combies with Henselt. And currently their number isn't that high (trebuchet, reinforced trebuchet, ballista, reinforced ballista, ram, catapult, siege tower), that you won't get something usefull in most cases. And furthermore there are synergies with Sile and John Natalis.

And for Seltkirk, there are already units that buff him with Foltest and Siege Masters and Dandelion. So getting him to 9 power is really likely, which makes him definetly average.
What I worry more about is, that there currently a no synergies for him, except the officer tag. Combared to that, Mad Man Lugos, who does something really similar can discard a card, which is quite usefull for skellige, while Seltkirk without the proper enemy cards can be pretty useless.

esra01;n9918241 said:
And the winch is just a bad card lol. Spawn a bronze machine ( implies there are going to be silver/gold machines ) and boost it by 2. Why put this card when you can put in an actual machine card to your deck and not rely on RNG?

It's basically a John Calveit and ADC mixture for machines. I would certainly use it. Especially in thick decks..

I think everybody got the wrong idea on how duel works
In the dev stream i got the idea as follows: Seltkirk deals 7 damage to a 10 strength, then it deals 3 damage to seltkirk, then it continues until someone dies.

I dont know if you can target other units after the initial duel, say: Seltkirk deals 7 damage to a 10 strength, then take 3 (which is blocked by his armour) then he target another unit with 8 strength and take 1 damage. This goes on and on until someone dies. Honestly if this is the case then the cards pretty fucking good not gonna lie
like you can easily get +20 points witb this guy. But a 17 power gold card that kils a target is not bad. Honestly i dont know what to think the card seems good but it can also be a bad card considering its like a worst Iorveth

Hubert Rejk is Foltest's buddy then huh? Considering he is at hand in R1 in a 40 card Foltest deck, playing him right after Foltest would yield with around 7+35=42 points. Then you can peacefully have him reset or scorched.

It's probably more beneficial as a finisher when you have 10-12 cards in deck and play him as last card. Can't see any other synergies with it yet.

altaybek;n9940131 said:
Hubert Rejk is Foltest's buddy then huh? Considering he is at hand in R1 in a 40 card Foltest deck, playing him right after Foltest would yield with around 7+35=42 points. Then you can peacefully have him reset or scorched.

Yes, that card might turn out to be problematic.
Personally I'd rather the card takes the buff from a very limited amount of units.

But we'll see how good it really is.

devivre;n9940481 said:
Yes, that card might turn out to be problematic.
Personally I'd rather the card takes the buff from a very limited amount of units.

But we'll see how good it really is.

Playing it as second card is extremely risky and nulls your Foltest buff (assuming he stays the same). Clear Scorch/Reset/Jade target after all. I don't think it will see any play in R1. Last card finisher is the way to go.

Am I the only 1 thinking that which should be a silver? Specially considering that henselt is a thing? You could spawn 1 machin with winch and then pull 3 more with henselt. That card scares me

I have to admit that I'm quite dissappointed by the new NR cards and the cursed archetype for NR and Adda in particular.
Except Whnch, there aren't really cards that help most existing archetypes. Vincent and Huber Rejk instead of supporting amor and buffing seem to negate their effects. I had more hoped for cards that give alternate usages for armor instead of just removing it and units who profit from buffing more than just because they are buffed (similar to the Mahakam Marauder). There could have been more units proffiting from officers, and Temerian units in general.

The only archetype that seems to profit might be control with Radovid as a lot of the new cards are good at killing enemies. But at the other hand there is an own new leader for the cursed archetype, so Radovid might not even be the control leader anymore.

What I personally dislike about the cursed archetype is, that it doesn't fit to Northern Realms in my opinion, because NR never relied on cursed units for fights. Cursed units would fit much better to other factions, which in fact already got a lot of these, and Skellige as well as Monster thematically fit a lot more. And it feels really weird that nearly all new cursed NR units never actually fought for the NR (at least when they were cursed). It honestly feels as if they were lacking ideas for cool abilities for "real" new NR units.

And about Adda. What I generally dislike is that she doesn't feel thematically at the same level as the other leaders. I would never expected her to be more than a silver card. She was never known for really leading anyone, as a leader might be supposed to. Also, her art doesn't look like a leading person. While nearly all other leaders have a mighty pose, she looks the complete opposite. Also, her ability seems a bit lackluster, with nothing more than a spawn mechanic. She seems to be a worse version of John Calveit, with a lot more of RNG.

Even if I'm really critic so far, I hope that there will be some other NR cards that I personally will enjoy more than those presented yet (with the exception of winch)

Last edited:
Hey guys, curious on the new cursed soldier unit that turns other cursed guys into himself, text says he copies himself. If this guy is boosted in hand, e.g. with queen sign, will the unit that he copies also get the 2 strength boost and shield?

So... will Vandergrift be able to cast a full Ragn Nar Roog if opponent has a 1-strength unit on each row? Because that would be really powerful - not OP, just really powerful.
The wording seems to suggest that he will be able to.

With all these new Cursed cards it's really hard to consider all the options that Adda might Spawn. First one that came to my mind was Morkvarg - and he would potentially make for a very strong combo, especially if Ronvid was also on the battlefield.

RidiculousName;n9958011 said:
So... will Vandergrift be able to cast a full Ragn Nar Roog if opponent has a 1-strength unit on each row?

Yup. Radovid Control & Henselt Machines just got a whole lot more intimidating now.

Running Seltkirk and Vandergrift in the same deck... now that would be ironic.

Seltkirk dueling an enemy to 1 strength, dying himself and then Vandergrift causing fiery rocks to rain down on the dueled enemy's row.
What a glorious combo that would be!

UberBacon422;n9957791 said:
Hey guys, curious on the new cursed soldier unit that turns other cursed guys into himself, text says he copies himself. If this guy is boosted in hand, e.g. with queen sign, will the unit that he copies also get the 2 strength boost and shield?

Referring to the current card description of the Cursed Knight, it needs to work like you described. Would have been fun with the old Keira. I am curious if it works with the buffs of Kaedweni Siege Supports, it probably should. When I remember correctly they boost before the execution of a deploy ability. Furthermore it should work with Alzur's Double Cross and Marching Orders as well. Insane combo with Natalis if you manage to pull it with Marching Orders.

The more i see Winch, the more i'm convinced that (unless changed from current text) we'll see a very fast hotfix after the patch...

Why Adda as a leader card doesn't have doomed and stubborn tags? Do we expect all existing leaders will not have these tags any more?

Top Bottom