MIDWINTER UPDATE - CARD REVEALS (NORTHERN REALMS)

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
MIDWINTER UPDATE - CARD REVEALS (NORTHERN REALMS)

As Midwinter draws near, the factions in GWENT rally new allies. More than 100 cards — units, spells, heroes and leaders — will soon be joining the fray. Learn their abilities, strengths and weaknesses, and prepare for battle as we unleash the biggest update in GWENT’s history.

You can view the Northern Realms cards here.

Which of them would you like to fight beside and which are you afraid to meet on the battlefield?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4226131

For Seltkirk, can someone please post the definition of what "Duel" means. I understand it is damaging an enemy by your power but I can't remember what the enemy then does to you.

Forristicat;n9910891 said:
For Seltkirk, can someone please post the definition of what "Duel" means. I understand it is damaging an enemy by your power but I can't remember what the enemy then does to you.

If i'm not wrong like this;

Your card has 7 strength. The card you targeted has 8. Your card deals your base power first, the card which has 8 strength will deal 1 damage to your unit. If you deal the damage lethal for a unit, it will work like Eskel, even for boosted units.

I understand it like this: When playing Seltkirk you select an opponents card and damage it by the power of him (Seltkirk is 7, so damage is 7), if the enemy unit survives it shoots back by it´s the remaining power.
If you duel Assirre for example (10 str.), she will deal 3 damage back at Seltkirk.

It will deal its current power back (after it was damaged by the "duel" unit).

So, for example, if you duel a 10 str enemy unit with your 7 str unit (with a duel keyword), the enemy unit will take 7 damage setting its power to 3 and then deal 3 damage back to your 7 str unit, making it 4.

Bear in mind duel units will have armor to make the value trade more favorable for them.

Last edited:
the definition of what "Duel" means.
As I understood the description, Seltkirk targets a unit, dealing damage equal to his card's power, then his card will be damaged, in turn, by remaining power of the targeted card. So, if he were to target a card with 11 power, he would deal 7 damage to that card, and its remaining 4 power would be dealt back as damage to Seltkirk. At least that's how I understood the explanation.

I'm a bit concerned about the Winch card. It looks like it should be a silver card, but is bronze for some reason. It's ANY machine on demand and boosted on top of that. If anything, it should damage the spawned card by 2 since it gives you way more flexibility than simply running a specific machine card in your deck.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Ok, apparently Spawn will mean you only get 3 options. That seems reasonable. I thought it works like Monster's Nest does now.

Last edited:
Astaroth0803;n9911451 said:
Am I missing something?

You can only pick from 3 randomly selected machine units.

The spawn x card mechanic will now always show 3 random cards.

4RM3D;n9911571 said:
You can only pick from 3 randomly selected machine units.

The spawn x card mechanic will now always show 3 random cards.

The question is: WHY?

Why would they make this 3 limit? this goes for all other cards revealed like Hym or Isengrim. We have Monster's Nest which works pretty well, why not give Winch the same treatment?

Oh look, it's good old Vincent!

All of these new cards seem like something I'll want to try out - especially Winch. Such a cool name on that card.

Just a question: if Seltkirk duels a boosted marauder with 9 power, will the dwarf retaliate with 2 damage or with 4? Will the boost happen before or after the resolving of the Setlkirk duel ability?

Iuliandrei;n9912941 said:
The question is: WHY?

Why would they make this 3 limit? this goes for all other cards revealed like Hym or Isengrim. We have Monster's Nest which works pretty well, why not give Winch the same treatment?

If they allowed to choose any Silver without limits, it would become a balance problem when they introduce new Silver units.

lonberk;n9914911 said:
Just a question: if Seltkirk duels a boosted marauder with 9 power, will the dwarf retaliate with 2 damage or with 4? Will the boost happen before or after the resolving of the Setlkirk duel ability?

I think this Seltkirk is kinda of a trash azure thunder in gold slot. He is a maximum of 14 when hit a 10 points enemy, because he causes 7, and remain 7. If he hits one with 17+ he will cause 7 damage and die, exactly the effect of a azure thunder.

He works like Dol Blathana Swordmaster, but its much worse because he will be damaged and North Realms don't have such hand boof options like Spell'Tael, despite the fact ST can hold 3 bronze of them, while in NR is a one gold card.

CDRP now gave NG faction the card Letho: Kingslayer. I think it is their John Natalis, but much better because it has a option to choose from, and never end up a dead card when Tatics cards are over.

I like the Duell mechanic. It reminds me a lot of several other CCGs but it makes sense to implement it :)

Vincent seems good for armor NR - will definitely try this card!
Machine NR isn't my thing but Winch seems viable too.

Damn CDPR is very good at making NR players disappointed. I mean seriously Seltkirk is very bad lol , if "duel" ability is going to stay the same then he is just a retarded version of Iorveth. But since this card is printed it means CDPR has some kind of handbuff mechanic for NR, right? But again then it means Seltkirk is just a retarded version of Dol Blathanna Swordmaster that starts at 7 base power.

And for the silver slot comes Vincent, with current revealed cards Vincent is just a terrible card. There's no way there are going to be more than 20+ armor on the board unless they are going to add mass armor card that is going to make Vincent viable. Well it could happen but it is very hard to make it happen.

And the winch is just a bad card lol. Spawn a bronze machine ( implies there are going to be silver/gold machines ) and boost it by 2. Why put this card when you can put in an actual machine card to your deck and not rely on RNG? ( I read from a youtube comment that spawn means you get to choose 3 random card ).

I just hope that the devs are going to put in more reliable crewman unit that machine deck need

Top Bottom