Rows Will Have a Unit Cap (in the Coming Midwinter Patch)

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Rows Will Have a Unit Cap (in the Coming Midwinter Patch)

It was confirmed in today's stream that rows will now indeed have a unit cap [EDIT] of 9.

You might actually start to encounter situations where one row is full and you can no longer play a unit, especially with swarm units like Germain. Also, depending on the limit, this allows for some interesting situations, like spy swarming or maybe even Peasant swarming if that spell works on the enemy side of the board. I wonder how you can use this new limit to your advantage or maybe even becoming too greedy and turning it into a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Dramatic change to say the least. I think now the whole agility rework is becoming clearer. I am intrigued...

This is certainly going to add a whole new layer of strategy to the game. Looking forward to seeing what kind of new challenges and opportunities it brings.

Good thing I don't play any swarm decks. :p

partci

Forum veteran
So this also limits Lacerate, Geralt: Aard is becoming weird, Harpooners, MG Hailstorm (like there are people still playing it) - all kinds of stuff.

I think I preferred the old times when Units had a lock on a certain row and only few, that actually NEEDED to be Agile were having the blessing to be Agile. I am not a fan of this "put everything everywhere" mechanic at all.

Also, what this makes of the Weather Clearing Units if your row is full and a Weather is ticking? Those guys are becoming more and more awkward after each and every new patch (especially Standard Bearer and the new Flaminica).

partci;n9940831 said:
Also, what this makes of the Weather Clearing Units if your row is full and a Weather is ticking?

That's a good point, although if the row limit is high enough non-swarm decks should be fine. Then again, several factions have units capable of moving enemies...

3x First Light meta incoming.

The limit in hearthstone is horrible. I hope it isn't too restricting in gwent. They should balance the cards so that infinite loops are fixed instead of imposing a unit limit.

Filling rows sounds interesting, and can indeed explain that agile part. I don't think it's a bad thing. It's new thing. We just have to get used to it, like we have learned to avoid Igni, Scorch, Hailstorm (which I just saw today) etc.

I actually doubt it'll matter too much, it'll change a little but as long as it isn't like 7 on a row or something awful for swarm decks this could be rather healthy

quantum_number;n9939911 said:
This will be wonderful. Nilfgaard fills your row with spies, then starts throwing boulders.
You mean being a 2 point card if if hits an Emissary? 1 ponit if it hits an Assassin. Insanely OP... Hehehe

It's hard to judge until we get all information to row cap mechanics but this is my questions:

1. What if you have a row almost filled and play cards like Arachas, Temerian Infantry or Blue Mt. Commando. If there is a limit will copies be destroyed or put on different rows?
2. A unit that changes row every turn, like Archespore or Odrin. Will they be able to move to a filled row?
3. In relation to #1, how about units that spawn additional units beside them, like Celaeno Harpy or Germain of Fow Hollow?
4. I think it was touch on here the previous posts, but what about movement archetype? Units that move Units.
5. What to do if all rows are filled but still got units to play?

HenryGrosmont;n9948311 said:
You mean being a 2 point card if if hits an Emissary? 1 ponit if it hits an Assassin. Insanely OP... Hehehe

You seem to misunderstand how boulder works. It hits an enemy for 7 points and moves it to the row above. If that row is full, the enemy is destroyed.

So It might be possible to fill a row with 2 and 1 point cards. If you have a strong unit on the row below the full one, I'll throw a boulder at that unit, not the 2 and 1 point ones.

Next time you want to be sarcastic, at least be correct.

9 cards max? That seems like an odd number (literally... ha ha...), but I guess there is a reason it's not 8 or 10 instead.

So basically each player can have 27 units on the board at the same time. That's a pretty high number; I can't foresee it causing actual problems with most if not at all units being agile. But we'll see. :p

9-10 was the optimal thing so I'm ok.

-The problem is what will happen when all rows are full and you gotta play a card?
-If you'll be forced to pass, why would anyone play multi-token units like Woodland Spirit, Germain, Temerian Infantry etc.?
-Is there any way we can prevent Spies from filling our rows and render our play useless?

I hope they think about these thoroughly.

RidiculousName;n10019161 said:
So basically each player can have 27 units on the board at the same time. That's a pretty high number; I can't foresee it causing actual problems with most if not at all units being agile. But we'll see. :p[/SIZE]

Well, NG can flood your side with spies :) - if they for example put 8 spies on your side, that gives you not as many free slots. Also keep in mind that cards like Germain are 5 cards in 1. Or the Poor Infantry card is 3 units. And so on. But yes, most decks will not have to worry about the change. I'm okay with it.

Top Bottom