Your Favorite Midwinter Card

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Your Favorite Midwinter Card

With all the serious discussions about the next patch going on, let's chill out a bit and discuss our favorite cards from the upcoming Midwinter patch.

-- Gameplay --

Saskia: Dragonfire
Why? Because it's a very unique card that can open up some very interesting decks. Not necessarily anything competitive, but it looks promising, nonetheless.

Yennefer: Tremors
Why? Because of the flexibility of the card and the unique "carry-over" mechanism. Played an awesome spell in the last round, just save it and play it again the next round. Scoia'Spell would be jealous (if the archetype even survives).

-- Artwork --

Hym
(Premium)
Why? Because it's awesome.

Kiyan (Premium)
Congrats CDPR, you've made a card even more disturbing than, well, anything else.

Well . . . I can tell ye which is not my favourite: Parasite. Bah! Filthy, monstrous, eye-burrowing leach. Quite uncivilised.

As for artwork, I'm rather partial to the Wyvern Scale Shield, and Saskia: Dragonfire, so far. Ah, yes, Seltkirk's not bad, either.

Honourable mention: Pavko Gale -- but . . . let's be honest, now, who wouldn't like that artwork?

I'm still super hyped about Boulder, so that's my choice all things considered. :p

Looking at gameplay only, I'd say Cadaverine Venom. I already have an alchemy NG deck, so it'll definitely find use, and its effect sounds powerful.

As for artwork, Parasite is my favourite in a roundabout way; the premium is so disturbing that it's the one card I hope to never run into.
Ointment's art is really, really beautiful and I'd even say it's my favourite in that regard.

RidiculousName;n9941881 said:
I'm still super hyped about Boulder

A fan of rolling stones? ;)

Peasant Militia sounds interesting. Most likely going to be one of my first new cards to try out. No matter if it fits into my decks or not :D Pretty hard to say at this point, what cards would be interesting gameplay wise. We don't know much yet.

In the favorite art section, there are many good ones!
- Lesser Demons
- UMA!
- Damned Sorceress
- Derran
- Hym
- Ulfhedin

And, of course, Pavko Gale!

I made an alchemy deck for Nilfgaard but I was missing something and that something was the Viper School Witcher. So they're my favorite card so far. I think they'll fit perfectly with that deck.

Gameplay:

1) The new Yennefer card is one of the cards I definitely want to have. And not just because it looks like she's wave surfing :D

2) Seltkirk, because I like the ability, even if it may not be the strongest gold card. But I think it will have its uses!

so far I like saskia dragon fire and isengrim, idk I love isengrim
And as artwork I like very much uma, and seltkirk is too awesome.

Honestly more than anything I want to see new Ciri's ability to be revealed. I believe they are saving their best cards for last and I 'm really hopeful for her. Ciri: Dash is currently my favourite card in the game (CDPR please give her Immune so she can be viable) and I can't wait to see a new Ciri version.

I also want to see what Moonlight is. So far seems like it's a positive boon (dare I guess it would be a bronze one?) so I would really like to see how it would be implemented.

From the already revealed cards, I really like Saskia. Unfortunately the banish effect won't help me include her in a Ciri: Dash deck, but she is intriguing enough to justify trying to build a new deck for her. I also really like Milaen's art. Shame the ability isn't all that exciting.

My favorite card will be the one that..
A: prevents graveyard shenanigans
B: applies a "global" effect that prevents one of the following: spying, boosting, strengthening, bringing cards from your deck into play, etc.

As it is, there are very clearly "best" options among gold/silver/bronze cards in GWENT, and that isn't a good thing for a game that wants to be competitive.
Since none of the spoiled cards do these things, I can't really say which is my favorite. :\

Hexador;n9952331 said:
applies a "global" effect that prevents one of the following: spying, boosting, strengthening, bringing cards from your deck into play, etc.

So they should just make a card that nulls 99% of the game mechanics. Sounds neat.:wat:

Guest 4226291

Riven-Twain;n9941771 said:
Well . . . I can tell ye which is not my favourite: Parasite. Bah! Filthy, monstrous, eye-burrowing leach. Quite uncivilised.

As for artwork, I'm rather partial to the Wyvern Scale Shield, and Saskia: Dragonfire, so far. Ah, yes, Seltkirk's not bad, either.

Honourable mention: Pavko Gale -- but . . . let's be honest, now, who wouldn't like that artwork?

I don’t. Having a real human face, especially one I recognize in Gwent breaks immersion for me. Plus I think these meme references are stupid.

Guest 4226291

Hexador;n9952331 said:
My favorite card will be the one that..
A: prevents graveyard shenanigans
B: applies a "global" effect that prevents one of the following: spying, boosting, strengthening, bringing cards from your deck into play, etc.

As it is, there are very clearly "best" options among gold/silver/bronze cards in GWENT, and that isn't a good thing for a game that wants to be competitive.
Since none of the spoiled cards do these things, I can't really say which is my favorite. :\

Yeah sounds real neat. Having a card that single-handedly makes half the archetypes and available cards useless. Sounds great and so awesome.

EternalJxx;n9953181 said:
Having a real human face, especially one I recognize in Gwent breaks immersion for me.
Hmm. That's rather unfortunate, since I believe many of the characters already feature the faces of some of the developers (a practice which they began in the original Witcher game, incidentally). The REDs are quite fond of their little inside jokes.

Guest 4226291

Riven-Twain;n9953221 said:
Hmm. That's rather unfortunate, since I believe many of the characters already feature the faces of some of the developers (a practice which they began in the original Witcher game, incidentally). The REDs are quite fond of their little inside jokes.

Yeah but if they have before than I haven’t recognized it, so I guess no harm no foul. But to have the most recognizable face that we know of (who’s in every gwent stream) to now be a character in the universe just makes me think of him and not the character, hence the breaking of immersion.

It is unfortunate, but nothing I can do I unfortunately.

EternalJxx;n9953181 said:
Having a real human face, especially one I recognize in Gwent breaks immersion for me

I can see where you're coming from. Personally, I can't look at Dorregaray, Combat Engineer or of course Pavko without seeing the real person they're (very likely) modeled after.
Same with Sage, although his resemblance to a certain other elf may not be intentional.

Difference is that I don't mind it, because to me Gwent is perfectly fine with such obvious references since it's "just" a card game. :)

Vatt.ghern;n9945641 said:
I also want to see what Moonlight is.

I daresay you're not alone in that. Hopefully it isn't such an awesome new thing that they're saving it for the last reveal. :D

Last edited:
EternalJxx;n9953251 said:
to now be a character in the universe just makes me think of him and not the character, hence the breaking of immersion.
Immersion is always a singularly ticklish and elusive concept. For me, Gwent itself is immersion-breaking within Witcher III: Geralt of Rivia playing cards illustrated with the pictures of the characters against whom he is currently playing cards. . . . Hmm. . . seems to rather distort the boundaries of credulity -- but, what do I know? After all, it remains merely a game, and here we are, playing that game again in a new form. Thus, seeing prominent real persons within Gwent's standalone, to me, seems yet another reminder that, no matter how immersive, or steeped in lore, it's still just an entertainment, a pleasant amusement, contrived with subtle winks, and a few rather obvious nods.

The real question, however, is whether elves and dwarves are truly all that fond of leeks. . . ?

Guest 4226291

Riven-Twain;n9953551 said:
Immersion is always a singularly ticklish and elusive concept. For me, Gwent itself is immersion-breaking within Witcher III: Geralt of Rivia playing cards illustrated with the pictures of the characters against whom he is currently playing cards. . . . Hmm. . . seems to rather distort the boundaries of credulity -- but, what do I know? After all, it remains merely a game, and here we are, playing that game again in a new form. Thus, seeing prominent real persons within Gwent's standalone, to me, seems yet another reminder that, no matter how immersive, or steeped in lore, it's still just an entertainment, a pleasant amusement, contrived with subtle winks, and a few rather obvious nods.

The real question, however, is whether elves and dwarves are truly all that fond of leeks. . . ?

Actually I agree with that. I remember before I owned Witcher III I asked my friend why the main characters were on the cards. He said he didn’t know. So I honestly get that. I guess the stand-alone game does it best because there is no out of gwent scenario to compare it to (like does Geralt wonder why he’s on a Gwent card??). I mean I probably won’t even use the card but it kind of irks me, it’s hard to explain I guess. Now that I think about it it’s not a huge deal.

And honestly, I really don’t know on that one. Is it anything like overseas plundering in springtime though? ;)

altaybek;n9952931 said:
So they should just make a card that nulls 99% of the game mechanics. Sounds neat.:wat:

Well, no; that's not really what I mean. However, anything that gives you card advantage is automatically the most practical option for deck building, especially if you can get card advantage + put more units on the field without using cards from your hand. I've found counters to plenty of really annoying things, like Nilfgard spys floundering against pretty much any Skellige deck that can resurrect emissaries or reset units. As it is, though, the counters to strategies that tend to snow ball aren't plentiful enough, or are a card that's limited in quantity (gold/silver). It doesn't seem unreasonable for them to include an ally that has something like "Deploy: reset allies in both decks." or "While this ally is in X lane, allies can't spawn in the adjacent opposing lanes or be deployed to them from your opponent's deck."

EternalJxx;n9954051 said:
Is it anything like overseas plundering in springtime though?
Not quite. Leeks are just a whiff more savoury and aromatic. They're rather good in soup.

Top Bottom