90% games against Nilfgard's spy deck despite faction challenge !

+
90% games against Nilfgard's spy deck despite faction challenge !

Guys, today I've played around 25 games with a Skellige deck to try to make Skellige graet again (because we're currently loosing the faction challenge).
Despite the cool and fun event that CDPR made, 22 OF THE GAMES WERE AGAINST NILFGARD'S SPY DECK !!!

I've always GG after games (win or loose) but tomorrow I'll won't GG when I'll play againt this... I won't say it, but you know what I meen.
Moreover, they all play the exact same deck, no variance, no change. That's not fun, some people won't play Gwent for long if the games continue to be like this.
Maybe the faction challenge event should have a game server different like casual and ranking so that SK and NR can really battle.

What do you think about this guys ? Am I the only one to hate that deck ?

Last edited:
Probably people who hate netdeckers aren't playing anymore, they got bored of playing against same thing over and over, at some points if feels like playing against bots. Thus only the neckdeckers are left, making the problem worse

Yes faction challenge is cool and all but i'd rather wait for the next patch.

What mmr are you? I've barely faced spies this season at 4.1k to 4350. I faced mill a lot more actually.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Like others have said, I rarely see spies nowadays. Doesn't matter if I play casual, ranked or pro-ladder. I do see a lot more Henselt, even before the faction challenge started.

What oxiarr said. From 4k up they are rarely seen. NR and since the challenge start skellige seem to make 60% of my encounters. And since nr is quite spread out with leaders it doesnt feel that repetitive even.

Yesterday I had to face ~70% NG in ranked on PC, today I played the exact same ranks on PS4 and had an okayish mix (but with more NR than other factions - especially Henselt).
So I wouldn't generalize it.

If life gives you lemons, make a lemonade.

The same decks appearing again and again? Very well, tech the hell against it.
You'll either get a streak of easy victories or fate will finally change your opponents :).

Well the way they (mis)structured the event actually encourages players to not use either NR or SK until near the end of it. It's simply better to wait until it's close to finishing, then get a single victory with the winning faction. Despite maining SK, I haven't touched it since they started the event because I don't have a Dijkstra, and NR is the more popular faction at the moment. So an event meant to encourage participation with certain factions has actually stopped me from competing with them, and now I'm running spies for the next week to pick up my dailies. It's annoying, as I had really been enjoying the meta on the ranked ladder and now I'm forced to either take a break from it for a week or forego a free premium faction-essential gold.

altaybek;n9951191 said:
Trust me more people hate your Bran SK than Spygaard. Spygaard is ok. At least it needs some skill unlike meta SK decks.

Maybe a little practice. Skill? Meh.

This game isn't difficult.

Im playing NG myself, 4,2k mmr and im facing like 60-70% NR. To be honest Spygaard is the most skillful deck right now, the second is Radovid. Only those two decks allow you to interact with ur opponent and have real impact on his plays. On the other hand, Skellige focuses on spaming units, without any control, going high tempo and thinning plays. The majority of decks are like solitaire, just playing cards and counting points. There should more decks like NG.

altaybek;n9951191 said:
Trust me more people hate your Bran SK than Spygaard. Spygaard is ok. At least it needs some skill unlike meta SK decks.

Fisrt, I don't play Bran deck. Second, as I said, in every games I see the exact same procedure, the same sequence of cards. That shows that the deck don't need a lot of skill.

The problem is that there are almost 12 different cards in the Spygard deck that are in perfect sinergy. That's a good thing for the game to have good sinergys but this one is too much !
I'm playing the Crach an Craite deck with the Longship/Greatsword/Hunter sinergy. I think that it is a good combo but that's only 3 cards and it's difficult to play it when you have many spys between them.

I was around 62% winrate with this deck (neither bad or super high but I want to play it for the faction challenge) I was 240# in global ranked, but after my yesterday's Spygard Challenge I fell to 1800# (4200MMR) :'(

Tir_na_Lia;n9951471 said:
The same decks appearing again and again? Very well, tech the hell against it.

That's true but how can you build a deck that first beat Spygard (that's not simple to find), and beat NR (because there are still some players that play the faction challenge) and also do it with a Skellige deck because I want to be part of Skellige faction ?

Any suggestions guys ?

Of course practicing will make you better, just the specific SK deck (and the Alea'Tael one goes in this category too) in particular requires next to zero actual skill from the ones running them. But it is not like actually practicing. It's practicing against your will to stop playing the game of boredom.

Piwus;n9954021 said:
Im playing NG myself, 4,2k mmr and im facing like 60-70% NR. To be honest Spygaard is the most skillful deck right now, the second is Radovid.

Wrong, very very wrong. SpyGard is pathetically easy to play - which is why its seen so commonly at the low-mid ranks still - Deck is far, far to effecient and has high-quality answers to virtually every problem the deck might face. And the only real "skill" to the current radovid deck is trying to avoid a bricked hand. Neither are hard to play to any real level.

Last edited:
Zjiin well i would appreciate if u list at least one deck requiring true skill. Every deck is like play x then y then z, while NG is vulnerable to all kinds of locks and removals, yet it still stays competive. The fact, deck is used on low-mid ranks, doesnt mean it is simply to play. At low ranking, unexperienced players use maybe 70% of true NG potential.

The topic was not only to say that Spygard is an OP deck, is it to protest against the Faction Challenge system :
- Guys who play Spygard or other decks and change for NR or SK just before the end of the event.
- No rewards for players that invest a lot for there favorite challenge faction
- They may should have made a different server like casual and ranked

What do you think guys ? Some more feetback or option for next faction challenges

Top Bottom