MMR swings

+
MMR swings

I'm one of those guys that just can't break 4.2K barrier. My MMR is going up and down between 3800 and 4200 like a vicious cycle (with same NR deck in 1-2 days). When a losing streak starts, it goes on and on until I drop below 3900 (sometimes even 3800). When winning streaks I always go up to 4200.

This doesn't make sense because I'm pretty sure I'm not losing because of my misplays or winning by extreme skilled plays. Everyone plays the same (which is actually the root of the problem but anyway). Good/Bad draws,matchups always happen but it shouldn't be that deciding right? or is it? I can't understand why is this happening often.

I was wondering if is it me or more people having this personal issue of MMR swings? Should I sacrifice a few goats and virgins to RNGesus or just try to break this mental barrier by reading scammer self-help books or something?

altaybek;n9951361 said:
I'm one of those guys that just can't break 4.2K barrier. My MMR is going up and down between 3800 and 4200 like a vicious cycle (with same NR deck in 1-2 days). When a losing streak starts, it goes on and on until I drop below 3900 (sometimes even 3800). When winning streaks I always go up to 4200.

This doesn't make sense because I'm pretty sure I'm not losing because of my misplays or winning by extreme skilled plays. Everyone plays the same (which is actually the root of the problem but anyway). Good/Bad draws,matchups always happen but it shouldn't be that deciding right? or is it? I can't understand why is this happening often.

I was wondering if is it me or more people having this personal issue of MMR swings? Should I sacrifice a few goats and virgins to RNGesus or just try to break this mental barrier by reading scammer self-help books or something?

When you have 4200 MMR, you gain much less and lose much more than 3800.
It sounds trivial on paper, but it makes a huge difference.

Especially if upon reaching 4200, you have to score 3 or 4 in a row to get Lvl 20.
Check your tracker, I bet it's rare to get 3 on a row past 4100.

Also, anxiety pops up when you are close to your goal.
I literally lost the crucial game to get past 4250 because of a silly misplay, wasting a game already won.

Do not play when you are nervous, tired, or have trouble concentrating. Ever.

Tir_na_Lia;n9951441 said:
Do not play when you are nervous, tired, or have trouble concentrating. Ever.

Then I'm quitting immediately :smile:

Jokes aside, you are right. I'm never anxious at all but having trouble concentrating most of the time. Probably playing too many games one after another causes this. Well I guess I should have a self determined daily cap.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Tir_na_Lia;n9951441 said:
When you have 4200 MMR, you gain much less and lose much more than 3800.

Yup, it's really as simple as that. Your current win-ratio might not be enough to break the threshold.

Try to create a new deck that counters the majority of the decks you're facing.

Oh the irony! I just got to rank 20 just after whining on forums. Karma was not a bitch this time I guess :hatsoff:

Out of complete curiosity, what deck are you using? I'm trying to hit rank 20 with a weird Eithne deck at the mo.

Legendarum;n9952541 said:
Out of complete curiosity, what deck are you using? I'm trying to hit rank 20 with a weird Eithne deck at the mo.

Depends on the mood but I play anything but Skellige (because it's nauseating)

-Any NG (Tibor/Fringilla, Mill, Spy, Mill Reveal etc..)
-Henselt machines
-Played a homebrew Ale-Eithne a lot before Swim made it popular (then people teched)
-Foltest Swarm (my usual anchor deck for a good while for the last two seasons)

I got the last 100 MMR with Henselt machines though. But since it's become extremely popular recently, people are teching against it. I made a few customizations for my play style. Being a seasoned NR player helps a lot too :)

Update: Funny enough I reached global top 250 and it was waaaaaaay easier compared to reaching 4250. Then I found my problem: The inflation of netdecker Bran Restore SK players around 4000 bracket is deadlocking the ladder both for themselves and you. They can't progress themselves while preventing you to progress. When everyone has 50% WR, no one has.

I guess I was lucky enough.

Last edited:
nah its typical, and it has happened in the past in different stages of different seasons. the game gets pathetic sometimes and that's the nature of any game relying on luck a bit too much.
right now im at 4k mmr having eskel as a gold in my henselt deck and suffering for it against 3 NRs in a row, after a rage i switched eskel which fits against SK veteran with shani so if ronvid gets locked i can stand a chance and guess fcking what? i just suffered yet another 3 matches in a row but this time against 3 consecutive SK veteran decks.
gwent boils your blood sometimes.

Yeah... 1 win before Rank 20 I draw no Silvers till R3, where I get drop the most useless one. Than 4 games in a row I see only the Red Button, 2 of those games against Spies, the others 2 against Eredin. Guess what happened.

MMR points system should be reworked. It's unbalanced, when u can get 3,5k mmr with 30% ratio, 4k mmr with 50% ratio and 4,5k mmr with 60-70% ratio. It should be much more difficult to reach 3-4k mmr and easier to get to 4,5k. Now 3,8k-4k is some kind of purgatory, where 20k of players are meant to stay forever.

Top Bottom