The Unique Tag - An Answer for Silver Spies and Other Troublesome Cards

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
The Unique Tag - An Answer for Silver Spies and Other Troublesome Cards

Unique cards cannot be created or duplicated. Create abilities include those from Runestones, while duplication abilities include Summoning Circle, Yennefer: Enchantress and Ithlinne. Silver spies are the primary target to becoming unique.

With the introduction of the CREATE mechanic a new way of playing the game was introduced. A problem with this mechanic is that it will become more RNG (random) as more cards are being introduced. There should be some limit on the cards that can be created from the CREATE mechanic. That's why I suggest the introduction of a new tag named "Unique".

Furthermore, besides excluding cards from being created, it might also be a good idea to apply it to duplication as well. This allows for cards to be truly unique, which allows the developers far more flexibility in creating (hah! pun intended) new cards, without having to worry about those cards getting out of hand when they are being (re)created or duplicated.

Last edited:
I'm for it. Just so I understand ... decoy would remain unaffected in theory yes?

The solution given will work and seems good.
Couple of other alternative approaches that might work as well are listed below:
1. All create mechanics can create loyal units only.
2. Summoning circle can only copy non-gold loyal units. This will have also have a side effect of not being able to copy cards like Iris, Nilfgaard spies etc, but maybe that's a good thing.
What do you guys think?

Rawls;n10161402 said:
I'm for it. Just so I understand ... decoy would remain unaffected in theory yes?
They could probably add the 'Stubborn' tag to all silver spies (like Operator), so that they cannot be decoyed.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Rawls;n10161402 said:
decoy would remain unaffected in theory yes?

Yes, but:
​​​​
InvisibleArrow;n10161492 said:
They could probably add the 'Stubborn' tag to all silver spies (like Operator), so that they cannot be decoyed.

4RM3D;n10161562 said:
Yes, but:
I think I would like it as suggested in the OP without the stubborn tag on the spies. Decoy has few truly powerful uses as it is, and taking away the ability to decoy spies could make it a very rarely used card.

4RM3D;n10161072 said:
Unique cards cannot be created or duplicated.
Personally I think that only restricting them from being created is enough. Another note about Silver Spies is that they should have a higher base power. The way the game is now, you play them with almost no drawbacks, since you can recover the strength quite easily even with bronzes. They should have at least 15 power, that alone would probably decrease the chances of people Circling or Decoying them.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Rawls;n10161722 said:
I think I would like it as suggested in the OP without the stubborn tag on the spies. Decoy has few truly powerful uses as it is, and taking away the ability to decoy spies could make it a very rarely used card.

Both spies and Decoy will still be used, when spies become stubborn. My personal opinion is that silver spies should be unique and stubborn. However, the latter is not really part of the OP's suggestion.

Theodrik;n10161782 said:
Another note about Silver Spies is that they should have a higher base power.

Everytime the silver spy controversy pops up, someone mentions this suggestion and forgets to look at the other consequences (collateral damage). Giving silver spies a higher base strength will actually help NG Reveal. Furthermore, your suggestion does nothing when the opponent is just bleeding you in the 2nd round.

Sounds like a good idea; I'm all for it.

Also, I can't say I would mind silver spies getting the Stubborn tag. I never use them, so it's not relevant to me, but still. I think it's rather stupid that a spy can just be bounced back and forth (especially if one or both players have Emhyr); all it really does is make the game longer.

I'd implement an even easier solution: cards who Create or Duplicate are restricted to Bronze targets.

Summoning Circle, Yen:Enchantress would work on the last Bronze spell and so on.
Some Silvers are too powerful (no matter if situational or not) and capable of too big power swings, who are unhealthy for the game.

While I'm sure most of you will completely disagree with me, at least I see "awareness" regards the Create mechanic is finally rising.

Tir_na_Lia;n10162212 said:
I'd implement an even easier solution: cards who Create or Duplicate are restricted to Bronze targets.

That would be taking it a step too far. It would also destroy all silver and gold cards with a create ability because they would become too weak. Most silver cards really aren't an issue; just a selective few, which can be handled by making them unique.

4RM3D;n10162392 said:
That would be taking it a step too far. It would also destroy all silver and gold cards with a create ability because they would become too weak. Most silver cards really aren't an issue; just a selective few, which can be handled by making them unique.

The bolded part I can agree with, the problem might be telling which have issues and which not. Spies aside, it might not be so straightforward

As for weakening cards with a Create ability, my proposal (in this thread https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...limit-leaders-create-ability-to-buffed-bronze) is to eschew creation of Silver altogether and give buffed Bronzes instead.

4RM3D;n10161072 said:
Unique cards cannot be created or duplicated. Create abilities include those from Runestones, while duplication abilities include Summoning Circle, Yennefer: Enchantress and Ithlinne. Silver spies are the primary target to becoming unique.

With the introduction of the CREATE mechanic a new way of playing the game was introduced. A problem with this mechanic is that it will become more RNG (random) as more cards are being introduced. There should be some limit on the cards that can be created from the CREATE mechanic. That's why I suggest the introduction of a new tag named "Unique".

Furthermore, besides excluding cards from being created, it might also be a good idea to apply it to duplication as well. This allows for cards to be truly unique, which allows the developers far more flexibility in creating (hah! pun intended) new cards, without having to worry about those cards getting out of hand when they are being (re)created or duplicated.

That really is excellent and elegant solution to the problem, if they really wish to preserve Silver Spies, while abolishing of them is always an option as well.

Short of disappearing them from the game I think your suggestion is one of the best heard so far.

Great idea with regards to "Unique". I'd be happy with that.
Stubborn for silver spies as well - I could live with that if it happened.

Personally i'd go for making them a new type of card, like now we have Units, Special and Leader cards. They could add another one specifically for the silver spy, this way it can not be created by any effect. There's also a consideration to detach the card draw from the actual unit, this would make it impractical to use summoning circle on it, although it would mean it can no longer be tutored out by ADC and such.

Top Bottom