How about add "faction cooldown" at Ranked?

+
How about add "faction cooldown" at Ranked?

Sure every1 faced before one-meta at previous rankeds (like Elves or Nilfs few seasons ago)

And now 50% of players at ranked were dwarfs with 50% - everyone else

What if devs add "you need to win another 2 games to play this faction again" at ranked?

Yes, it would be 3 metas for each player instead of repeating each game with the same deck

But it help with "I see damn dwarfs (nilf-spy, SK, NK, Consume-Weather Monsters, choose on your own, depends on season) same meta every game" problem

Ofc this idea got minuses (like people would need to collect 3 decks to play, instead of one), but again - it would help with ranking (so more people with bad skill but same repeateable metas would stay low)

Sorry for my rude english and thx for the reading =)

I doubt this will ever happen.
What if you only have really good cards for one deck?
Then you are forced to lose 2 matches to play with your deck again?

An interesting suggestion, but there are a few things I would like to point out:

- That more than 50% of the users play Dwarfs is a sign something else is wrong with the meta. Your suggestion doesn't fix the root of the problem.
- This will alienate new players who are playing ranked for the first time.
- Putting limitations in place, isn't the preferred way to go. Instead, find way to incentivize players to switch decks. For example, when you play ranked with a different faction, you can accumulate a bonus to MMR. Every time you switch to a new faction, you get a 5% bonus up to 20% if you keep rotating between all factions.

4RM3D;n10202422 said:
Putting limitations in place, isn't the preferred way to go. Instead, find way to incentivize players to switch decks. For example, when you play ranked with a different faction, you can accumulate a bonus to MMR. Every time you switch to a new faction, you get a 5% bonus up to 20% if you keep rotating between all factions.
This is my take as well. I think A small boost to MMR for each faction you use in ranked daily would be good.

So win a ranked game with 1st Faction 0% boost. Every ranked game win with 2nd faction 5% additional MMR. Every ranked game with 3rd faction 10% etc etc.

5% may be too much ... perhaps 2-3% would be better.

Last edited:
An interesting idea, but maybe for higher MMR regions, where players have the chance to have more than one solid deck. If I had to switch from the one deck I made throghout the month or so since I started playing I would not be happy :( Too many bad ass high level players in casual mode IMO :p

4RM3D;n10202422 said:
- That more than 50% of the users play Dwarfs is a sign something else is wrong with the meta. Your suggestion doesn't fix the root of the problem. - This will alienate new players who are playing ranked for the first time. - Putting limitations in place, isn't the preferred way to go. Instead, find way to incentivize players to switch decks. For example, when you play ranked with a different faction, you can accumulate a bonus to MMR. Every time you switch to a new faction, you get a 5% bonus up to 20% if you keep rotating between all factions.

1) True, Dwarf deck was an imbalanced meta of this season and my idea is not a "solution", but it would force* players not to abuse the same meta every victory game (1 of 3 is still better, than 3 of 3)

2) True, new players would be affected. But we live in the times, when in HearthStone or Duelyst or Eternal people just use full legendary decks in low tiers of ranked.
The fact that this game got limitation of 4/6/15+ cards where one bronse in right moment can be an ace in the sleeve present different view on game mechanics.
"Geralt: Igni" I've seen almost on every tier of ranked in every possible deck. And it's one of the starting cards.
3 different factions instead of one would help with "Duck Syndrome" of new players (And yeah, I am affected too, love to play Scoia'tael decks, don't want to play other factions, but I do understand that it's "wrong", because if I want to play ranked I should understand how works other faction for prediction, what card my opponent can play).

3) Bonus MMR is a nice carrot on the stick (because if you got deck with 70% win rate and your other deck got about 50% win deck you wouldn't play 2nd for +5% MMR bonus)
25% for 2nd deck, 50% for 3rd deck and then no MMR till the end of the day (like 2nd ranked win and 3rd ranked win of the day* activity)

People should think, what they manage to create as their decks. When I got 3 legendary from the barrel I must think, what to pick ("This one neutral gold can slightly improve all my decks and this one SK can strongly improve just one, what should I pick?")
In you have to manage not 1 deck but at least 3 absolutely different decks it force you to "think" and "plan" what to do with current scarps you got
Not "New season come, let's check what meta is the best, mill other decks, create one I would use till I got 21 ranked"

Last edited:
4RM3D;n10202422 said:
An interesting suggestion, but there are a few things I would like to point out:

- That more than 50% of the users play Dwarfs is a sign something else is wrong with the meta. Your suggestion doesn't fix the root of the problem.
- This will alienate new players who are playing ranked for the first time.
- Putting limitations in place, isn't the preferred way to go. Instead, find way to incentivize players to switch decks. For example, when you play ranked with a different faction, you can accumulate a bonus to MMR. Every time you switch to a new faction, you get a 5% bonus up to 20% if you keep rotating between all factions.

Does this not make it somewhat pay to win? In a balanced meta where all factions are more or less equally good, players who have the ressources to do so get a huge bonus over people who can't afford 3-4 good decks.

I'm still a relatively new player and faction cooldown doesn't work for me. When a player starts, (s)he'll be opening kegs for sure but crafting (esp golds) tends to be geared towards neutrals and key cards in one faction. For example, I'd be fine building a number of different NR archetypes but, as evidenced by daily quests, at this stage I'd struggle to swap factions and get anywhere near my NR rank. If ladder becomes restricted to those who've been playing for at least 2 seasons, that's a high barrier to entry and kills the growth of the game.

For sure have lower level tournaments over weekends needing multiple factions but have them as additional to rather than replacing what's already there.

Side note:
RussianMew;n10208012 said:
"Geralt: Igni" I've seen almost on every tier of ranked in every possible deck. And it's one of the starting cards.
Whilst it's one of the first crafts for many, it is not a starting card

Last edited:
TheNotoriousThree;n10208152 said:
Does this not make it somewhat pay to win? In a balanced meta where all factions are more or less equally good, players who have the ressources to do so get a huge bonus over people who can't afford 3-4 good decks.

What matters most is skill and when you start playing multiple decks on ranked, you'll need to master all of them. What you would get is just a bonus to MMR which allows you to gain ranks a bit faster. Those (F2P) players, who have only one competitive deck, can still climb ranked.

taisho1987;n10209462 said:
This is not an option, it would ruin new player experience. What about "balance the game" instead?
Balancing a game with this many cards is nigh impossible... There will be always card/deck that will be surperior to others with only few counter decks/cards that will be again inferior to other card/decks. Main factors of win would be RNG luck and your skill and this is what I like about Gwent - The winning and loosing is not THAT much influenced by RNG (Take for example game stonehearth).

I am inclined to idea of using the MMR boost if you play different decks! I myself enjoy having multiple of them, 4 at the moment as I am F2P player and dont have enough Nilfgaard cards...yet >:D...
But when ill get them oh boy...
Anyway back on track yeah the thing about having more MMR for using different factions in Ranked is brilliant idea but would regulate it so people that pay for kegs and have the cards and mills to create decent decks would indeed be boosted to heights although I have to agree it takes a time till the palyer understands the deck completely so the post from 4RM3D is valid...
3%-12% growing by 3% from 0% for every different faction you use in Ranked it could be tinkered with as the dropping rate is still low even if your are in high ranks (Highest I got was 17 and I still find it pretty low loosing one game gives down half of winning one game but thats just my opinion)
Anyway we will have to leave it to devs again to decide...

Logintomylife;n10211212 said:
Balancing a game with this many cards is nigh impossible

Patch before Midwinter had the most stable and varied meta. And, you know, there are a few of us that only play a faction. Why should I be forced to play another faction just because the game have balancing issues?

Noela;n10216652 said:
Patch before Midwinter had the most stable and varied meta.
Yeah it may had stable and varied meta but can you imagine this game having only cards from one patch? :D This game will evolve and add TONS of more cards... And balancing that will be always issue.
And you are not forced to play other factions... Gosh just play Nilfgaard or Scoathel... But if you will stick only for one faction you will loose certain benefits... for Quests and such! That is actually being discussed in another thread by now... But here a moderator had an interesting idea about giving boost on rank points if you play more than one faction in rankeds which is actually very interesting and good idea to urge players to switch to play more than one faction! I am not saying you must its your choice but you will loose much that game has to offer.

Logintomylife;n10217352 said:
Yeah it may had stable and varied meta but can you imagine this game having only cards from one patch? :D This game will evolve and add TONS of more cards... And balancing that will be always issue.
And you are not forced to play other factions... Gosh just play Nilfgaard or Scoathel... But if you will stick only for one faction you will loose certain benefits... for Quests and such! That is actually being discussed in another thread by now... But here a moderator had an interesting idea about giving boost on rank points if you play more than one faction in rankeds which is actually very interesting and good idea to urge players to switch to play more than one faction! I am not saying you must its your choice but you will loose much that game has to offer.

I understand that more cards have to be added, of course; but it have to be done in a way that doesn't "break" the game. It has no sense (other than economical profit), to open a PTR server and not benefiting from feedback before launching the patch. It didn't take players long to figure that dwarves are overpowered this patch, nor to figure the spying fest..
As for the only one faction thing, I've been playing since the start of closed beta, so I know what I am missing, and I'm not interested. I'm not saying that the other factions aren't worthy or anything, it is just that games that don't have a "narrative" element don't retain my attention for too long, and it seems that for me, in this game, is being a Squirrel for life. It is just my way of playing :)
I'm not ok with a faction cooldown (basically because I wouldn't play), but I'm ok with missing rewards, and I am not against people being rewarded for playing more than one faction through positive reinforcement, but honestly, I don't think that would solve balancing issues. If someone want to grind the ranks no matter what, it is easier and more effective for them to pick a very easy to pilot meta deck (looking at you dorfs) and climb rank that change factions for a little bit more of MMR gain.
I know, I know, this is a beta and all, and I don't know a dime about videogames developing, but my common sense says that if you have something solid (like previous patch), you build from that...

And just in case I sounded mean or something, I appreciate people like you with constructive input ;)

I play mainly ST since the start of closed beta. I can also play other factions, but I think being forced to play other decks isn't a good idea. After all, you gather scraps to get the core cards for your decks, if you get it on cooldown you will be left with vanilla decks (if you are a new player). Just because dwarves are meta doesn't mean you need to forbid players from playing ST. There'll always be some stronger decks than others.

It shouldn't take much to create a few good decks.. I only Been playing a couple months and have a good deck for each faction.. Not a net deck meta bs deck but a good deck I created. Maybe it's because I picked neutral cards when I had the choice. I only craft when I really need a card..

Maybe after rank 15 make it to where decks need changed every 5 matches or so. I refuse to play dwarves or spies. I just don't get it, does it make people feel smart to play the same net deck over and over? How can it be satisfying?

Mancoon1980;n10218932 said:
It shouldn't take much to create a few good decks.. I only Been playing a couple months and have a good deck for each faction.. Not a net deck meta bs deck but a good deck I created. Maybe it's because I picked neutral cards when I had the choice. I only craft when I really need a card..

Maybe after rank 15 make it to where decks need changed every 5 matches or so. I refuse to play dwarves or spies. I just don't get it, does it make people feel smart to play the same net deck over and over? How can it be satisfying?

Why rank 15? Just curious. It's not hard to climb until 4k+.
People enjoy winning, so they play the deck which is currenlty considered the best. There'll ALWAYS be some more played decks than others. It doesn't stop you from teching against them though.

Top Bottom