Fixing Slave Driver

+
Fixing Slave Driver

Hi all,

I hear all around that dwarves need badly a nerf, but what really makes jump out of my skin is the perverse relationship between Ointment and Slave Drivers. I´ve thought about this and think it could be faced through a change in Create mechanic.

I´ll put it simple: make create effects unable to spawn cards with create effects, thus neglecting the create chain.

In the photo attached I show the result of a single Slave Driver play of my opponent, starting round 3. Six cards, indeed. Do you really think Slave Drivers are not OP? Not even taking into account the info you get about opponent´s list.

- Elia

Attachments

• photo194472.jpg
    photo194472.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
If you check the question for developers thread you can see they already plan to tweak them. As for your picture I see your point but disagree with the diagnosis. Six cards is imo less relevant than the 17 points from the play. 1 viper Witcher with a proper deck does 17 damage. Hatori plus agitator plus skirmisher does 17+. Another example is restore plus beast master (19 point point replayable.) If the developers insist on power creep then every factions must be able to balance it.

In principle centralized vs decentralized power is a debate worth having. Centralized can be scorched, decentralized often requires more vulnerability (double tremors, overdose, etc...) I think the better point your picture shows is the eleven scouts can create a huge advantage for both NG and SC and they are the card that needs tweaking. Dwarves already have agitators and no other faction has 2 power spawners, (not to mention scouts are the only create that takes cards not already in either players deck and makes them available.) Honestly if any faction should have that kind of card it should be monsters (finally make deathwish viable.)

I do not have issues with a bronze card being played for 17 points, providing there are sinergies behind, or a unique situation. However, I do feel that a bronze card that turns into a six cards in play through a create mechanic chain, is not working as intended. I try to use the Slave Driver as best example of this, and propose a fix to create mechanic that goes beyond the Slave Driver.

All these interactions between agitators, elven scouts, slave drivers, vicovaro medics and the like are fine, but I´d avoid having cards that create cards that create cards (rinse and repeat)

Wonderboy8700;n10335402 said:
If you check the question for developers thread you can see they already plan to tweak them. As for your picture I see your point but disagree with the diagnosis. Six cards is imo less relevant than the 17 points from the play. 1 viper Witcher with a proper deck does 17 damage. Hatori plus agitator plus skirmisher does 17+. Another example is restore plus beast master (19 point point replayable.) If the developers insist on power creep then every factions must be able to balance it.

In principle centralized vs decentralized power is a debate worth having. Centralized can be scorched, decentralized often requires more vulnerability (double tremors, overdose, etc...) I think the better point your picture shows is the eleven scouts can create a huge advantage for both NG and SC and they are the card that needs tweaking. Dwarves already have agitators and no other faction has 2 power spawners, (not to mention scouts are the only create that takes cards not already in either players deck and makes them available.) Honestly if any faction should have that kind of card it should be monsters (finally make deathwish viable.)

I think there's an issue with the examples used there. Viper Witcher has an entire deck built around him, and is really only able to reach those numbers because of novices and Vesemir pulling out large numbers of alchemy cards so the deck's unlikely to brick its hand. Both Hattori and Restore are silvers, so the power is reasonable. A 17 point play out of a vanilla bronze is not normal. Even Novice into Ointment into Witcher into full-value damage (somewhere between 17-20 points) requires three cards to get there. Slave Driver is a 2 point bronze that can get there without using a single other card (though in this example not so much, you can do stupid things if specific bronzes from other factions are available). Also, the agitator engine has been problematic for some time, and got broken in half in the Dorf deck. Also in that specific example it's 18 minimum; because of hand buff.

The problem with Slave Driver isn't the number or the power, it's the RANDOMNESS. Some decks he gets bricked, some he allows you to set up the opponent's central engine, some he allows for increased synergy with his own deck, some he allows access to affects his deck shouldn't have, and on and on. And in all cases, he pulls superior versions of the bronze he draws (functionally driver +2). He is actually a lot of fun, but he's also incredibly badly designed.

Also, while vicovaro novice can do obscene things, he requires that bronze alchemy card to pull. I've seen them get bricked in long games with bad hands/mulligan. Even Agitator can be 'shut down' by Sweers or by drawing into all his choice targets (though realistically he shouldn't draw copies, but the actual card). Slave Driver does his thing every time guaranteed.

Last edited:
Explain to me - how did one Slave Driver spawn 6 units? Elven Scout only creates Scoia'Tael cards, how did he get the second Slave Driver? Either there's magic involved, or you're lying about him playing only 1 card. Still, I think Slave Drivers are problematic, though it doesn't lie in the points of the card - it lies in the effects it can copy from your deck (I cannot run Archgriffins in my Wild Hunt Frost deck, because Slave Drivers copy them and clear my Frost, but I am then vulnerable to Weather being played against me...). And if you're in a mirror match then you're double dipping on key cards, which is also stupid.
Imo Slave Drivers should be completely redesigned.

DannyGuy;n10374232 said:
Explain to me - how did one Slave Driver spawn 6 units? Elven Scout only creates Scoia'Tael cards, how did he get the second Slave Driver? Either there's magic involved, or you're lying about him playing only 1 card. Still, I think Slave Drivers are problematic, though it doesn't lie in the points of the card - it lies in the effects it can copy from your deck (I cannot run Archgriffins in my Wild Hunt Frost deck, because Slave Drivers copy them and clear my Frost, but I am then vulnerable to Weather being played against me...). And if you're in a mirror match then you're double dipping on key cards, which is also stupid.
Imo Slave Drivers should be completely redesigned.

Slave driver in to Elven Scout in to Elven Merc in to Ointment in to Slave driver in to last two cards on deck. Still only 17 point bronze.

Just explained above:

Slave Driver > Elven Scout > Elven Mercenary > Oinment > Slave Driver > Elvent Scout > horse

Problem is, as I explain in my first post, with the create mechanic, which has NOT been adressed by devs in the patch

slave drivers get crap from me, i made my deck anti slavery with only sirens and wereworlfs. :yes:

i think they should create cards from oponent faction, not his deck.

Pruny;n10386312 said:
slave drivers get crap from me, i made my deck anti slavery with only sirens and wereworlfs. :yes:

i think they should create cards from oponent faction, not his deck.

This might well be a good direction to go, yes. Assuming they don't do a heavier fix.

We seriously need a change on the slave driver

This card is not healthy at all. It gives insights into opponent strategies by looking at the cards and +1 strength. I put a 9point card he pull out a 10. It is the most hated card atm. Please fix it. I can't bear it anymore. I just want to slap on my monitor when the opponent resurrect a 11point John Caveit + Roach + Vico Novice -> Ointment -> another Vico -> Ointment -> Slave Driver -> bla bla. This high roll is totally game-breaking. What else, if two NG play against each other, you might also see Slave driver -> Medic -> Slave driver -> medic -> repeated (I saw it in PTR, supposed it still exists now?)

I'm more sick of the viper witcher. "here's our chance" "here's our chance" "here's our chance"...6 times per game and all that at 15 points a hit. Whatever is left at the end gets sucked up by letho and then drained. Sweers is a 1 card "I win" button in many cases and on and on and on. That faction is complete joke balance wise but they are not alone, there are many issues imo.

Slave Driver should be a special cards, because playing your opponent's deck ahead of them with +1 point is simply ludicrous. It's one of the reason Alchemy NG is just another bland points vomit, the other being the Viper Witchers which just counter your engine without any set up whatsoever.

I think the only way to balance Slave Drivers is by limiting Create cards to non-ranked.

The already put it at 1 power (less of that is impossible), but it's still: "Spawn an enemy engine with an additional 1 value, with 2 bodies on board".
Either rework entirely, or limit to RNG fests.

Yeah, create should be removed from ranked. I had enough of braindead elven scouts that can clear weather or give resilience.
​​​monsters dont have this type of cards and this makes the game very unbalanced.

Tir_na_Lia;n10479822 said:
I think the only way to balance Slave Drivers is by limiting Create cards to non-ranked.
The already put it at 1 power (less of that is impossible), but it's still: "Spawn an enemy engine with an additional 1 value, with 2 bodies on board". Either rework entirely, or limit to RNG fests.

Again, as I said initially, what should be addressed is not the Slave Driver (the topic might be misleading), but the create mechanic itself to prevent create chains. It´s easy, they already changed runes so they cannot create spies, changed sumonning circle and so, so why not change the create mechanic.

I´ve seen things you people would not believe. A Slave Driver in flames creating more than 6 cards beyond the nilfgaardian gates

Lots of streamers play monster death wish, monster consume or monster weather. If the game is unbalanced: Why are they relatively high ranked??

Top Bottom