Beastmaster should be Support and not Soldier

+
Beastmaster should be Support and not Soldier

At least that. They look absolutely, utterly ridiculous in this PTR.

You can even try to make them CREATE from 3 different BEASTS, you know? Like Savage Bears, Werewolves and stuff?

Something to make them not just spew points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the hate? It might be boring, but there is nothing wrong with a simple 12 point bronze. In the past, the only reason players had an issue with it was because of Restore. However, that has been nerfed now, so there shouldn't be an issue anymore. Also, with priestesses already having less viable resurrection targets, it would be overkill to exclude Beastmaster from their ress pool.

4RM3D Because with Veterans it gets ridiculous, from what I saw. And it is an ass boring card too, thus the suggestion to CREATE a beast and not particularly a bear.

Let's say you play 3 Veterans, 3 Beastmasters and 3 Priestesses (on BM) throughout the game. That's ((3 * 10) + (3 * 15) + (3 * 16)) / 9 = 14 point bronze on average for something that requires a specific set up. That's good value, but still nothing too strong, considering the (new) bronze baseline of 12.

Said it before: one of the worst card designs in the game and a good example for what's wrong with gwent

edit:
I think the veteran archetype in general isn't that great designed. They are uncounterable and uninteractive and because of that not interesting to play against (PTR and before midwinter patch, we all know they are unplayable right now). Maybe increase their strength by one and add a one turn timer to them.....

Last edited:
4RM3D;n10370182 said:
Let's say you play 3 Veterans, 3 Beastmasters and 3 Priestesses (on BM) throughout the game. That's ((3 * 10) + (3 * 15) + (3 * 16)) / 9 = 14 point bronze on average for something that requires a specific set up. That's good value, but still nothing too strong, considering the (new) bronze baseline of 12.

Wouldn't that be 18 points? 7 point beastmaster + 11 for the bear? Add on one for Eist, maybe one for a Decoy and maybe one from an Operator, you're on 21 point beastmasters.

I'm looking forward to playing the deck to be honest, but the beastmaster interaction looks to be a bit much.

iamthedave;n10373652 said:
Wouldn't that be 18 points? 7 point beastmaster + 11 for the bear? Add on one for Eist, maybe one for a Decoy and maybe one from an Operator, you're on 21 point beastmasters.

You should use your resses on the Beastmasters, unless you are being bled and want to create (indirect) carry-over for the final round. Sure, you can go all out, if you play those cards and get them all. However, that's not guaranteed and it only turns your deck into a one-trick-pony, making you more susceptible to Scorch, not to mention Vicovaro Medic is going to have a field day.

It's just a boring point spewing card imo. I like the suggestion for it to just Create a Beast from any faction.

I don't have as much of a problem with beastmaster as I do with cards like hunter and the archer. In hunter's case primarily because it used to be an interesting card, but the main reason why I don't like it is because beastmaster is a 12 point proactive tuirseach soldier. Whereas hunter and the archer are 11 point reactive tuirseach soldiers. This means that beastmaster is pretty much always better because it doesn't require your opponent to play anything, and to anyone who is going to make an argument about hunter being removal, please tell me which important PLAYABLE unit (not kaedweni revenant) gets killed by 5 damage. In my opinion because of how versatile beastmaster is, and how easily it enables battle maidens, freyas and restores it should be the 11 point unit whereas the other two should be worth 12 points (though I would prefer hunter going back to its old ability entirely).
Speaking of beastmaster and bears, I feel as though bloodcurdling roar is incredibly underpowered at the moment. I think the bear it spawns should be buffed to 13 points, however that beastmaster should weaken the bear it spawns by 3. By doing this we still keep a proactive tuirseach play in Skellige, but make other tuirseach units more appealing and make cards like gremist and the old herbalist into bloodcurdling roar combo more playable again.

4RM3D;n10369102 said:
Why the hate? It might be boring, but there is nothing wrong with a simple 12 point bronze. In the past, the only reason players had an issue with it was because of Restore. However, that has been nerfed now, so there shouldn't be an issue anymore. Also, with priestesses already having less viable resurrection targets, it would be overkill to exclude Beastmaster from their ress pool.

Manticore is 13 and its silver! So 12 points bronze with no setup is stupid.
Beastmaster should damage the bear at least by 1point !
:rage:
Damaging the bear would also be good for selfwounding archetipe ;)

Last edited:
What I don't understand: Why are the bears cursed? I mean, aren't they just normal bears? Anyway, I've played cursed before the midwinter patch using raging berserkers and brokvar archers and I've tried it now by playing longships and beastmasters and I had way more fun with the old one, but beastmasters are just so much better than raging berserkers.

Pruny;n10376742 said:
Manticore is 13 and its silver! So 12 points bronze with no setup is stupid.

Nobody plays manticore from hand. It's consumed by Giant Toad and then Ghoul. So it's actually enabling 19 points silver (plus deck thinning) and 17 points bronze. Not bad, eh?

I think Beastmasters should spawn roar really. So that you have to destroy an ally. Then you can also destroy the beastmaster itself and revive it with a priestess. That way its nominal value is closer to the baseline 11 - 12 (it should be 11 for proactive units anyway if ya ask me :p like temerian drummers, mahakam guards, and stuff like that. )

Top Bottom