Balance overhaul suggestions (Nilfgaard)

+
Balance overhaul suggestions (Nilfgaard)

This is my big balance overhaul (part 5 - parts 1-4 are linked at the end of the post). I'd just like to share some of my opinions and ideas with the community. Hopefully, someone will read this.

The new patch could be considered nothing more than a balance fix for the Midwinter Patch. The only thing that has seemingly changed so far is that Dwarves are gone and Impera Enforcers are back to their old state. Here are some more in-depth changes
I propose a change to Boons. make them trigger at the end of your turn, unlike Hazards.

If you want to hear the reasoning for any of the changes I made, feel free to ask me in the comments, I am open to discussion.
Nilfgaard

Assassination
Destroy a unit adjacent to a spy.
Makes you and your opponent think more about your positioning

Cadaverine
Deal 10 damage to a unit. If it wasn't destroyed, boost a random unit in your hand by 4.
Less conditional effect than it was previously.

Auckes
11 Strength. Swap a card in your hand for a Witcher.
If you have no Witchers left in your deck, you won't be able to swap.

Fringilla Vigo
8 Strength. Lock 2 units.
A replacement for Auckes, whose ability I've changed. If people like Fringilla's old ability, it could be put on a new card to let the meme live on.

Letho of Gulet
1 Strength, Spying. Destroy the unit to the left.
A much simpler and more reliable effect than before. Removes Regis combo, which some people didn't like (though I didn't have a problem with it).

Ambassador
2 Strength, Spying. Boost an ally by 7, twice.
Makes you less vulnerable to scorch by allowing you to spread out your boosts if you want.

Alba Pikeman
7 Strength. When you play your next Solder, boost self by 6
Solder Synergy.

Serrit
9 Strength. Damage a revealed enemy by 7.

Deithwen Arbalest
3 Strength. Deal 6 damage. If you have a Soldier on each row, deal 8 damage instead.
Used to be a weaker Nauzicaa Brigade

Rot Tosser
9 Strength. Reduce the timer back to 1. Cow Carcass only destroys non-spying enemies
This makes the card ignore Emissaries on the row, and also speeds up the effect, making it safer to play. The cow often gets blocked by a 1 strength tutor anyway.

Sweers
11 Strength. Swap a revealed unit.
A powerful effect that can be used to mulligan both your and enemy cards. I suggested moving Sweers' ability to a neutral card, and limiting it to 2 copies. This is a powerful effect that you could use to

Xarthisius
13 Strength. Look at your opponent's hand and deck. Choose up to 3 cards. If they're in your opponent's deck, move them to the bottom. If they're in your opponent's hand, reveal them.
When looking at the cards, you will not know which ones are in the deck and which ones are in your opponent's hand.
Could see play in a reveal deck for utility with added synergy, or just any deck at all that wants more information.

I'd like to thank anyone who has read this post (even those who just looked at a couple of cards). Please tell me what you think. I welcome any suggestions.
Previous posts:
  1. Neutral
  2. Northern Realms
  3. Monsters
  4. Scoia'Tael

Last edited:
- Assassination
Even without that kind of condition, and even if it locks the unit first, the card is of lower tier compared to stuff like Menno or Eskel. Primarily because it's a 0-0 card, menno is 8-0, eskel is 7-0. Simply, it makes no body alongside its effect. For killing big stuffs, scorch is there, artefact compression also exist, both are silver cards and actually replayable by yennefer enchantress.

- Auckes
Actually, when you don't have anything to fetch from your deck for swap effects, no swap happens. Already tested this in this patch with saskia and that silver mulligan girl.

- Sweers
Imo, sweers' effect must be exclusive to NG. It's just the only correct place for this kind of effect.

- Xarthisius
Looking at your opponent's hand defeats the purpose of revealing cards. That number (3) is too much.

DannyGuy;n10457072 said:
Serrit 9 Strength. Damage a revealed enemy by 7.

This is quite the nerf, so for 3 extra points he loses the option to affect the board, to kill engines. Also damage by 7? is his current ability to reduce to 1 too powerful?
I don't see any reason to play this card.

Viper Witcher
Strength goes from 5 to 4.
A very powerful bronze that can easily get rid off cards that boost over time without any real effort, and as an average value of 15 points in most alchemy decks, which is quite strong for a bronze.

overcold_ice;n10460092 said:
- Auckes
Actually, when you don't have anything to fetch from your deck for swap effects, no swap happens. Already tested this in this patch with saskia and that silver mulligan girl.

- Sweers
Imo, sweers' effect must be exclusive to NG. It's just the only correct place for this kind of effect.

- Xarthisius
Looking at your opponent's hand defeats the purpose of revealing cards. That number (3) is too much.

Interesting mechanic with the swap. Duly noted

Once decks that revolve around a single bronze are fixed (consume nekkers), I don't see any problem with sweers remaining faction specific, I suppose. Nekkers need a change though.

The puropse of revealing cards is to know if your opponent is holding Igni, for example, or if it's in his deck. It also triggers reveal synergies such as Mangonels or Imperial Golems.

My change to:
Wiper witchers
5 power (unchanged)
Boost self by half of the amount of alchemy cards in your deck (rounding down) and deal that amount of damage to an enemy.

This change is crucial for the survival of combo engines (movement, spies,...) and it´s still good lorewise.

Last edited:
Niktodt1;n10472102 said:
My change to:
Wiper witchers
5 power (unchanged)
Boost self by half of the amount of alchemy cards in your deck (rounding up) and deal that amount of damage to an enemy (rounding down).

This change is crucial for the survival of combo machines (movement, spies,...) and it´s still good lorewise.

That's actually quite an interesting change. It'd be a little bit of a buff points-wise if you were to run an odd number of alchemy cards though.

DannyGuy;n10474332 said:
That's actually quite an interesting change. It'd be a little bit of a buff points-wise if you were to run an odd number of alchemy cards though.

Yes, I will edit it so it always rounds down. A bit more balance is always good!
I made this change when I played against some crazy 12+ alchemy deck wich completely smashed my reaver hunters. He killed them one by one and I couldn´t do anything :(
And don´t forget there are more archetypes with engines that just have no chance against them, this could atleast give them a drop of mercy and NG players (like me) won´t complain about a value nerf. They are the alchemy core after all!

Last edited:
Top Bottom