Faction challenge suggestion

+
Faction challenge suggestion

Winner of the previous faction challenge should face the winner of the current one, while Northern Realms should face either the loser of the previous or current faction challenge.

Another suggestion, if Nilfgaard manages to achieve another victory then the 2 other factions(for example NR and SK) join forces to combat the rising NG threat.

KapetanCvarak94;n10499922 said:
Winner of the previous faction challenge should face the winner of the current one

Meaning that most players will switch sides because they already got the rewards from the previous challenge. Then what's the point of your suggestion?

Yeah, winner vs winner sounds great. I also really like the idea of combined forces, they could and should definately do that sort of thing in the future! Something like NG and ST vs NR and SK, that's what I'd call a faction war. Very interesting.

TheNotoriousThree;n10504842 said:
I also really like the idea of combined forces, they could and should definately do that sort of thing in the future! Something like NG and ST vs NR and SK, that's what I'd call a faction war. Very interesting.

Bad idea. Players necessarily wouldn't want to be associated with other factions in a faction war scenario. For example, unlike you mentioned, a ST player wouldn't necessarily want to be represented with the NG faction. And this'll start a lot of complains on the forums where almost every player will request that their faction be associated with a different faction. Mission: Impossible - Forum Wars.

G4merY;n10505772 said:
Bad idea. Players necessarily wouldn't want to be associated with other factions in a faction war scenario. For example, unlike you mentioned, a ST player wouldn't necessarily want to be represented with the NG faction. And this'll start a lot of complains on the forums where almost every player will request that their faction be associated with a different faction. Mission: Impossible - Forum Wars.

I honestly can't imagine anyone making a fuss about such a minor thing. It literally has no impact on anything and faction team could and would rotate anyways. So if that's the only drawback - if you can even call it that - this idea has it's actually a great thing. I'm still one hundred percent for it.

TheNotoriousThree I don't see the point of associating factions either, specially when each one is essentially different in the lore. Moreover, there're 5 factions, which is an odd number, so it'll always be unbalanced in a way. Plus, it would feel stupid when you've to play games against a faction from your own group (yes, I know this already happens, and it still feels stupid). And if the game is somehow programmed to avoid this, it will usually take relatively longer to find a player. Satisfied yet?

G4merY Yeah, I see your point about facing opponents of the same faction. The odd number doesn't really matter since one faction can just stay neutral each war, but the former is truly a bit of a "problem", you'd face alot of players from the same team.

But about the lore, remember that certain factions had similar interests and even fought side by side at times - but don't want to spoil anything to someone who might read this who isn't familiar with the lore yet.

It's a shame because I do like the idea but it does come with one or two problems that would have to be solved prior to making something like that happen. Which is why I think we won't see anything like that in the near future. Sadly.

TheNotoriousThree;n10512012 said:
The odd number doesn't really matter since one faction can just stay neutral each war
You can't be serious? Nobody wishes to be a common/neutral player. It is against the very basic idea of a competition.

but don't want to spoil anything to someone who might read this who isn't familiar with the lore yet.
Thanks. Yet to finish the W3 here.

It's a shame because I do like the idea but it does come with one or two problems that would have to be solved prior to making something like that happen.
I like the idea too. It gives a warm and cozy feeling to be able to team-up with players from other factions. But if you think about it, this game isn't build like that. First of, the players aren't stuck with a faction. Anyone can choose any faction prior to the start of a faction challenge, and we mostly do this based on the rewards. This alone keeps the player from feeling emotionally attached to a faction. Gwent is essentially a single-player game.

And the current faction challenge is mostly broken too, so we shouldn't stop brainstorming. In fact, this conversation gave me a couple (I think) good ideas that I will talk about later.

G4merY;n10513602 said:
You can't be serious? Nobody wishes to be a common/neutral player. It is against the very basic idea of a competition.

A faction doesn't have to be involved in each war, in the current system it's always one on one. Which is why I liked the idea of one big challenge where multiple factions face off against each other. In teams or each for his own, which would be a new idea.

G4merY;n10513602 said:
I like the idea too. It gives a warm and cozy feeling to be able to team-up with players from other factions. But if you think about it, this game isn't build like that. First of, the players aren't stuck with a faction. Anyone can choose any faction prior to the start of a faction challenge, and we mostly do this based on the rewards. This alone keeps the player from feeling emotionally attached to a faction. Gwent is essentially a single-player game.

Sure, most - though not all - people are likely not to be attached to any faction, but a faction war like that still has benefits for the kind of game that Gwent is. Since most people do it for the rewards they like anyways, they are able to chose the faction they want to get the rewards for almost each time. So you don't have to wait multiple months to be able to unlock the NG border/title if you've supported MO previously. You also might not have time one month, so you can just unlock it next month, since you don't have to wait for it to rotate. Or maybe maximum one month every few months, once there'll be 5 factions. It has its benefits.

But yeah, I think we can leave it at that, seems to me that we both made our points so let's just wait and see how things go in the near future.

About the lore, I was mostly referring to the book lore, since there is one specific interesting political alliance that is not really mentioned or shown in W3 I think.

Not sure if this topic is here for Faction Challenge change suggestions in general or just this one idea, but I trust a kind moderator will guide my post to the right place, if it's not meant to be here. :)

So while I think faction challenge is a solid idea, we've seen several complaints and unfortunate side effects because of how it was implemented on recent challenges. I collected a handful of problems and possible solutions to them. Some of them were already offered before by others and I meant no copyright infringement, so feel free come forward for bragging rights if you like.

Reward system
We've seen complaints from two sides in last two faction challenges. One side argued that winner faction supporters should get some form of reward so the event actually warrants as a faction challenge, other side argued that it's unfair if active supporters of losing faction is less rewarded than a winning faction supporter with only a couple of wins. I think truth lies in the middle and by applying a combination of solutions used in earlier challenges.
So I would keep the ladder from last challenge maybe with some tweaks on rewards and number of required wins (see section on grind). On the other hand I also think that winning faction supporters should be rewarded in some way, otherwise there's no stake in the faction war. I would require contributing a minimal amount wins to get this reward, not too high though that even a casual player would find it too difficult to achieve. This reward should be something only affects flavor like meteorite powder and/or a unique title. I've seen the outrage of people not wanting to be left out of unique rewards and I can feel their pain when it comes to borders and characters, but maybe will be more tolerant with titles as there are lot of those out there. Thing is I feel some trinkets should not be available for everyone in order to hold some actual significance.

Standing aka The progress bar
Some people complained about wanting to see a progress on current standings in the challenge, i.e. which side is ahead. It's true, not that inspiring to push for more wins if you have absolutely no idea what's the current standing, no reason to rout for your side, etc. Now I see the problem with this is dogpiling on one side or committing late in the challenge to the winning side.
I have two suggestions here:
1. Make the challenge two-phase. Say challenge is 10 days long, then you have the first 5 days to commit to the faction of your choice. Hell even make the choice mandatory first time you start Gwent after the challenge is started with a popup window. It would at least prevent players from getting rewards when they forgot to commit to a faction as it happened in last challenge to some people. During these first five days standings would hidden just like now. After that when when faction commitment is frozen, standings could be made public.
2. Against dogpiling I would make only best N player's result count for each faction. N could be fixed number like 1000 or 10.000, or alternatively could mean number of supporters of the less supported faction. This way one faction wouldn't have more wins simply because of more supporters. (Of course it's a limited effect, more supporters still mean better odds, as from a bigger pool you could get more good players, just like the national team of San Marino doesn't stand a chance against the national team of China in any sports. :))

The Grind
We've seen pretty much no other decks played than SK or ST during the challenge days as people desperately tried to get their 50 (40, 30, ...) wins to get the rewards. They even went so far as to grind the casual match scene with high powered netdecks, so I've heard. Now you know something's very twisted, when that happens. The Casual area is there for newcomers and casual players to get some sense of success and experienced players to run some weird niche decks that involves Ciri: Dash or Gaunter O'Dimm. :)
My suggestions: make the ladder less steep requiring less wins for full reward (or maybe apply diminishing returns like on daily rewards), and/or exclude casual games out of the challenge to keep casual area safe from abusers.

SentienceLOL;n10544702 said:
We could have like a war of the factions with people who are the best at one facing off each other
Also a good idea. I would keep it separate from existing faction challenge though, cause I like that current version is open to everyone.

4RM3D;n10504622 said:
Meaning that most players will switch sides because they already got the rewards from the previous challenge. Then what's the point of your suggestion?

I never said that the rewards should stay the same, I haven't even mentioned rewards.

Top Bottom