Trimming Gwent #2: Themes

+
Trimming Gwent #2: Themes

Last week I discussed the ugly Gwent coin, and how to improve it. Link: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...nd-visual-design-ideas-trimming-gwent-1-coins This week I'll talk about something that could change the visual aspect of Gwent (including its logo): themes.

For a game that's in its beta phase, Gwent is highly irregular in its look. The main menu, card collection, rewards and kegs section all look different from one another. And it makes sense, since to keep the game balanced and interesting, new features are constantly being added and removed.

When playing the game, you must've noticed this blue fog behind the main menu tiles. It's blue for everything the player can interact with within the game. Similarly, red is for the opponent during the main gameplay. When they select a card, target to deal damage, their side of the coin, even their name, everything is in red. I've also noticed a yellow/golden fog for the progress bars, and a green fog for the new loading icon. Now, if you're observant (like me), you must've noticed that all of these are the Gwent faction colours.

Blue is for NR, red is for MS, yellow/golden is for NG, green is for ST, and purple is for SK.

Now, what irritates me the most is why I'm stuck with the NR colour as a player, when I'm not supporting that faction (I mainly play Scoia'tael). Similarly, why I'm being represented by MS colours (red), just like every other opponent. My idea is to bring in themes to Gwent.

HOW WOULD IT WORK?

In my opinion, everything in the menus should be made up of wood, metal, stones and other organic materials from the Witcher universe. At its minimum, the look of the game should be exactly the same for all players, except that the fog should be reflecting the colour of the faction that the player is supporting. Depending on the time the devs are willing to invest in this, certain elements unique to each faction may be added to change the look of the game. For example, the Scoia'tael theme would have more plants/trees/vines, wood and stone (representing dwarves) elements than the other factions. The human factions (NR, NG and SK) should've more metal and wood, and the MS faction would need to have some other organic material that I cannot think of. Over time, new themes for individual groups within a faction (for example, dwarves and the Wild Hunt) could be introduced.

HOW TO CHOOSE A FACTION (to change the fog colour)?

This is where the Change Card screen (accessed by clicking the avatar) comes into play. I'm still not sure what the purpose of this section is meant to be, since in my knowledge we cannot show-off our selected card in anyway yet. But this can be a good use for it. The faction for the theme (or more directly, the colour of the fog) will depend on the premium card you choose. This makes a lot of sense in my opinion. Moreover, CDPR could change the look of the Change Card screen to make it look like an ancient stone with a card slot (or it could even be some machine from the futuristic Cyberpunk 2077 universe). They could even build a little quest around it, to add some lore to the game. And then it could make sense how this stone (or whatever) is able to change the colour of the fog.

I would also like to add that the effect of this fog should restrict to the menus of the game. The colour of the player's card selection, targeting and marking, and name during the main gameplay should be based on the faction of the deck they're playing with. And like I said in the previous post, the coin should be a realistic, neutral, golden. Doing this will represent the true colours of the faction within the game instead of a generic blue/red, which is essentially immersion-breaking. It'll also make the game more colourful, customisable and fun. Naturally, following this, the red and blue colour from the game's logo will also have to be changed. I believe that it could be changed to represent all five colours, could be programmed to represent the colour of the active card/theme (this could be a very cool change), or simply changed to the neutral brown colour. Notice also that the winning crown logo (after a match) should represent the colour of the winning faction.

Similarly, during faction challenges, the themes should automatically change to the colour of the chosen faction (the faction the player is supporting) to get the player into the mood, for the duration of the challenge. Moreover, during certain times of the year, for example, events and celebrations from the Witcher universe (not Christmas, etc.), the themes could be automatically changed to the faction the event (Saovine: Holiday of the Dead, for example) is related to.

Now that the game is in a stable Season system, I feel it's the perfect time to implement this feature. I would appreciate the community to share their opinion as well, or show support.

And next week, I'll discuss another aspect of Gwent.

G4merY;n10505902 said:
Blue is for NR, red is for MS, yellow/golden is for NG, green is for ST, and purple is for SK.
Now, what irritates me the most is why I'm stuck with the NR colour as a player, when I'm not supporting that faction (I mainly play Scoia'tael). Similarly, why I'm being represented by MS colours (red), just like every other opponent. My idea is to bring in themes to Gwent.

At this point, I just burst into laughter and didn't even bother to finish reading the rest of your post. Sorry, but such a claim is utterly ridiculous - I think you are alone in believing that the highlights have anything to do with the factions.

Thanks for your reply.

DannyGuy;n10512472 said:
I think you are alone in believing that the highlights have anything to do with the factions.
I didn't imply that the highlights have anything to do with the factions yet, but that they could've, and that themes could be introduced based on it. My point was that the highlight colours are the same as the faction colours. This can be easily verified if you look at the different faction logos in the Change Card screen (by clicking your avatar). The highlights' colours do not represent the factions, but they should, in my opinion. It'll make the game more customisable, personalised and vibrant, and who hates that in this age and time?

I suggest you finish reading. You might change your opinion.

While it would be cool to customize the background in this way, I see a problem with mirror matches. What happens if both players are ST? Then both players would be green and it wouldn't be as clear anymore whose turn it would be. So atleast during matches, there should be distinct colours for the player and the opponent. And blue and red are just the general colour for friend and foe used in many computer games.

FG15-ISH7EG I agree with your comment regarding mirror matches. Mirror matches do pose a problem already, for example, with faction challenges (you shouldn't be fighting your own faction during a faction challenge). I believe you're referring to the faction-logo-showing-coin regarding turns. But in my previous post, I've already suggested that that unrealistic coin should be replaced for a genuine oren, floren, or crown. CDPR already owns artworks of these, so it shouldn't be a problem modelling one. It'll give the game a more genuine feel, and will take care of the turn issue you mentioned.

Moreover, there're countless ways to show whose turn is it. Highlighting the avatar of the player with his faction colour, for one. Or, instead of turning the faction-logo-showing-coin to show whose turn is it, the 'real' coin could simply be slid to the other player's side of the board (to show that it's their turn), preferably with a finger animation. (This is a much more practical and realistic option.) The devs will only have to make the community aware of this. And the added benefits of themes surpasses this little issue, in my opinion. The confusion might only be for someone watching a stream of Gwent, if at all. And if it is a ST vs. ST match, I feel its okay if everything is green, because that's what the match is.

I can understand blue and red being common colours for friend and foe in other games, and it isn't really a problem. The issue is, that these same colours are being used to represent 2 out of the 5 different factions. A NR vs. MS game will look more visually authentic (naturally), if you notice while playing such a match next time. So, unless the blue and red colours are just placeholders, they should definitely change the two to some non-faction colour at least. It looks odd, is all.

And thanks for the REDpoint.

G4merY I can't say I support this idea. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The game has enormous outlying issues at the moment, and this is not even worth considering at this point in development. Sorry, but I just don't care what color my highlights are. I think it's nice and simple the way it is now, no need to change that.

MrInk5000;n10519412 said:
Could the themes fill the black borders in ultrawide monitors?
I think the black borders can be filled without introducing themes. I don't mind the black bars though.

G4merY;n10521192 said:
I think the black borders can be filled without introducing themes. I don't mind the black bars though.

I don't hate them, I just feel its a shame to leave that space blank on any game as a border of sorts could be more interesting

Top Bottom