Balance Suggestions

+
At the moment the game lacks counter options/actions on your opponent's turn. You know that they will play scorch or any other specific card and you can not do anything about it, with this the game comes to situation where if you dont have the exact cards for his cards you lose. The graveyard manipulation comes in the same category - Assire, vicovaro etc -you playing card that interacts with the graveyard other side can not do anything.

Create cards should be for Arena only.

Dun Banner cavalry - again you can do anything about it. With the current spam of high stats cards, whatever you play they will come out, probably even twice Nenneke. Another very hopeless situation you start first he plays spy, if you play card cavalry comes up you lose the points from the spy and CA and he takes control of the round, or you play card he passes - you are 2 cards down etc. Same with Scoathel opening.

This sums up the rank/pro ladder games at the moment. It is good that there is Arena at least, lately i have less and less desire to play on ladder.

[h=3][/h]

Dun Banner Light Cavalry is pretty weak currently. When you play only one during the game normally they are already not worth it anymore. And compared to other cards like golems and Foglets of the same type they are a lot harder to trigger.
The only problem with them is that interaction with Thaler. If the point difference would only include non-spying units they would be nearly useless.

I don't get this post at all
If you look at OPs Post you'll see that he's asking for all factions to be nerfed exept for NG which is currently winning so many ranked games with Reveal or Viper Decks.

Vipers should be doomed and Fire Scorpions shouldn't be 5/5 rather 7/2

Cipher90;n10654451 said:
I don't get this post at all
If you look at OPs Post you'll see that he's asking for all factions to be nerfed exept for NG......

Then I suggest to take a better look again because what you're saying ain't true.........

...........NG which is currently winning so many ranked games with Reveal or Viper Decks.

Reveal has a winrate of 44% according to Gwentup statistics, making it one of the worst decks of the entire game!
The alchemy deck is the 4th best deck and I agree they belong to the OP club.

Vipers should be doomed and Fire Scorpions shouldn't be 5/5 rather 7/2

Fire Scorpions are fine as they are in my opinion.

I agree with all of the empowering the cards that you listed but not with the nerf suggestions. Everything has a counter, there are strong cards and weak cards, but right now there are no OP cards in Gwent. Please stop trying to nerf cards that you dont like, ok?

Viper are ok but remove alchemy tag from beer because a control deck should have low tempo and win by countering oponent with skill. There is no skill in droping tons of beer.
enforcers should be boosted, i want to see spies back!
:rage:

151Huntsman;n10654921 said:
I agree with all of the empowering the cards that you listed but not with the nerf suggestions. Everything has a counter, there are strong cards and weak cards, but right now there are no OP cards in Gwent. Please stop trying to nerf cards that you dont like, ok?

Viper witchers are so obviously OP (When combined with ointment)

Greatswords are so obviously OP (when combined with drakkar)
Bearmasters are so obviously OP (when combined with veteran)
Sabbath so obviously OP (when combined with mandrake)
And works for a lot of other thing too

Beernchips;n10662601 said:
Greatswords are so obviously OP (when combined with drakkar)
Bearmasters are so obviously OP (when combined with veteran)
Sabbath so obviously OP (when combined with mandrake)
And works for a lot of other thing too

Just played a game against such a deck (didn't win):

No wonder this deck has the top winrate.

1990BW;n10663581 said:
Just played a game against such a deck (didn't win): [...]
No wonder this deck has the top winrate.

Says NG Alchemy, one of the top archetypes, after playing Cahir into a Mandraked Calveit pulling Vilgefortz into an Ointment chain and finishing with a Viper Witcher/Slave Driver for up to a 40 point swing.

4RM3D;n10663791 said:
Says NG Alchemy, one of the top archetypes, after playing Cahir into a Mandraked Calveit pulling Vilgefortz into an Ointment chain and finishing with a Viper Witcher/Slave Driver for up to a 40 point swing.

In this game I played alchemy indeed, the combo you mention is insane but also a lucky draw.
I won't deny alchemy is OP and it's not my favourite NG deck but it's the most competitive NG deck for ranked at the moment.
In truth there are even better decks than alchemy, those should also be balanced.

Woo. Alright let's have a look at this lot.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Nilfgaard
Standard bearer, this card has some great potential to build a deck around when some fixes are applied.
  • When you reveal a Daerlan Soldier you won't get the boost option, like to see this fixed.
  • Just 1x boost when playing Alba pikemen & Slaves infantry while you basically play 3 soldiers.
    Let it boost for every soldier played and/or add the exception for non-doomed soldiers only.
  • Would be nice if officers also get the soldier tag.

Officers aren't soldiers, that's the point. My guess would be the issue with Daerlan reveal is the same as the issue with slave infantry, whatever it is. It might be overpowered if it triggered three times when you played slave infantry though. Maybe a slightly better effect or even a different effect when officers come into play would be worth thinking about.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Deithwen arbalest, never seen this card played I think this card will be usefull in a Nilfgaard Soldier deck.
  • Set bonus damage (back) to officer in hand instead of spying unit.
    Spydeck already got Nauzicaa brigade for this.
  • Set damage to 7 or 8 and compensate with the unit's strength.

I think this is a good idea. Officer synergy makes a lot of sense in a soldier deck, after all. Another issue soldiers have is that they don't have much to DO save play more soldiers. This would allow them to kill some stuff while not disrupting their board.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Vrygheff, this card has the same ability as a bronze card which makes it not very interesting.
  • Change it to 'create' a bronze machine instead of play one from the deck.
  • Or give the machine 3 armor and compensate with Vrygheff.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Vrygheff is quite fine as he is, and he'll be a 'grower' as NG gets more machines over time. Currently he's a 12-15 pt silver which could be a tad on the slender side, so he might be worth a couple extra power points, but he needs no other changes. It's true that he has the same effect as a silver card, but there's nothing wrong with that. Not all effects should be available at all rarities for all factions.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Serrit, not intersting since the release of Venendal Elite.
  • Choose from: lock an revealed card or lock an played card and do 6 damage.

Nobody plays locks. You're proposing a worse Auckes. Best fix for Serrit is probably a completely different but useful ability. It might even be worth giving him a version of the viper witcher's ability, if we also make vip witches str 6 so they can't be ressed. That way NG gets 4 good removal tools in its alchemy package but one is a silver. Or maybe some different alchemy synergy. +1 str per 2 alchemy cards in the deck, maybe?

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Rot Tosser, the tossed rot can be counterd to easily dealing often 0/1/2/3 damage.
  • Deal 3 damage to the row when the rot gets destroyed.
    If the row is full destroy an bronze or silver unit.

This could be a good idea.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Assire var Anahid, this card needs some fixing.
  • Make it more clear to which graveyard a card belongs, it can be a bit tricky with similar decks.
  • It would be nice if you could steal 2 bronze cards from your oppenent's graveyard and add them to your deck.

God no. This is taking a powerful, annoying card and breaking it completely in half. Vicovaro's bad enough, if Assire gets to steal the graveyard as well you'd be opening the floodgates to all sorts of degeneracy,

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Impera Enforcers, they are to weak.
  • Give them 4 armor.

Worth considering, I'd say.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Magne Division, you can't choose what you want to play which makes it a tricky card with some items.
  • Change it to 'draw' 2 items choose 1, play it and return the other to your deck.
    I added draw to give the Alba spearman a boost because they can't keep up right now.

I'll go with no. Items have proven to be quite flexible and powerful despite some initial skepticism. It's probably for the better that people using the Division have to deckbuild very carefully around them and the item they'll be drawing, or else only include items that can never come out at a wrong time.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Viper witcher, these cards are to decisive in a game because replayability and dealing a lot of damage.
  • Make them doomed or give them +1 strength so they can't be resurrected with ointment.
  • Or limit the max amount of damage 7-9.

+1 strength is actually the way to go here. It's resurrection that makes them seem as bad as they are. At strength 6 the Alchemy player has to think very carefully about what he wants to target because once the vips are gone they're gone.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Slave driver, it's an annoying card and to rewarding: benefit from opponents bronzes and your own (often alchemy).
  • Let the card spawn a chained (locked) unit so it won't trigger it's ability.
    Give the slave driver a bit more strength to compensate but limit it to play a card not higher than 8-10 strength.
    Spawn a chained unit seems so fitting for this card :p

I quite like this. Spawning a locked unit would kill some of the stupider interactions slave driver can cause (mirror matches with Alchemy decks are disgusting).

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Make a new gold card that unlocks all cards on the battlefield.
  • Boost allies with 2 or 3 and damage enemies with 2 or 3.

'Lock all unlocked units and unlock all locked units' would be better, I think.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Auckes, make it a neutral card with the above suggestion in mind.

Nope. He's specifically Viper school, and they worked for Nilfgaard.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Spotter, the Nilfgaardian Knight, Emhyr and mandrake combo and later in the game Ointment and Magne division + Wyvern shield are overpowered.
  • Give the spotter the old ability of Alba armored cavelry:
    Look at the top 3 bronze/silver units from your opponent’s deck, choose one and boost self by its base Power
  • Or give the Spotter the abilities of the Alchemist (reveal 2 cards / 9 strength).

No it isn't, nor is spotter, and it doesn't need fixing or changing. For further discussion see the absurdly long thread about NG Handbuff.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Venendal Elite, with the above suggestion in mind change this card to:
  • If enemy: switch this unit's power with that of a revealed enemy unit.
  • If ally: copy the power of an ally.
    Cantarella can't be damaged to 1 with this.

You want to remove pretty much the only reason Venendral Elite is ever played. No.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Alchemist, this card needs a new ability due to the above Spotter and Venendal Elite suggestions.
  • With the alchemy deck suggestions (viper witcher, slave driver etc.) of this thread in mind:
    Let the Alchemist unlock an bronze card, half the targeted unit strength, enable their ability and let them stay 9 strength.

Those other two ideas were terribad so this one is unnecessary. The alchemist's ability is maybe odd but it's critical in reveal, so it has to stay unless another card gets that ability. I'm not against swapping spotter and alchemist's abilities, mind, as a spotter spotting things (revealing) makes quite a bit of sense.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Joachim de Wett, see this card often played with Stefan Skellen and Viper Witcher doing a 15 + 10-13 damage combo.
  • Change it to play the top bronze/silver soldier or officer and boost it by 10.

It had better; that's a gold + silver + bronze combo. Nothing wrong here or that needs to be changed.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Hefty Helge, make it a gold card.
  • Let it do 2 damage to all units, when revealed do 3 damage.
  • Or keep it silver but activate it's deploy ability when revealed.

I'm not against reveal having another powerful tool. Helge could definitely work as a hand-based board nuke as a gold. Worth testing to see just how powerful it would be, certainly, and it's not like reveal doesn't need the help.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Assassination, this card isn't interesting enough.
  • Give it a deploy ability as ally or spy.
    If spying deal 3x 6 damage with a 1 strength spying unit.
    If ally give it 1 strength and let it deal 2x 8 damage.
    Or give it bonus damage by the amount of assassins in your deck or something.

Hmm. Worth trying. Nothing else has worked, so giving it some spy synergy might help.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Add a new gold officer (or name it general), which let you create any bronze Nilfgaardian soldier you want.
  • Don't we have Vreemde for that?

1990BW;n10566662 said:
  • For a possible Nilfgaard soldier deck there are some more specific gold cards needed.

Tibor Eggebracht has needed an overhaul for ages. Make him a soldier deck synergising finisher.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Skellige
Bone talisman, a bronze card with 2 good abbilities seems a bit to strong.
  • Give it 1 ability.

I don't think this is necessary. Bone Talisman has proven to be a decent but not stellar card, unlike Ointment where the nerf/change was justified.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Tuirseach bearmaster, these guys can be played 6,7,8...times in a game.
  • Change it to play a random bear from the deck instead of create a bear.
  • This will impact the deck design more because multiple bear cards must be added to make this card work.
    Currently it saves a lot of cards in a deck.
  • Or let it spawn a Bloodcurdling Roar which can't be ressurected.

These guys suck. They mess up the entire bronze design space. They should definitely be changed somehow. I'm not sure that allowing super-ultra-mega deck thinning is a wise angle though. Between Freya and Shieldmaiden the SK could thin itself by three cards in three turns; add on extra thinning from Crach/Bran, you're opening the door for super, super reliable decks that always draw everything they want every game.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Berserker marauder, never won a game with Nilfgaard reveal + mangonel because of berserkers (they usually strengthen up to 28/30 each!)
  • Give it 1 ability either boost by damaged units OR the number of cursed units played.
  • I prefer the last ability.

Yeah, the latter is the better choice. it's a tad OTT at the minute.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
An craite greatsword, these cards won't reset when they enter the graveyard which makes them way overpowered because they can be played multiple times in a game.
  • Give this card only a reset option and 9-10 strength.

This would delete the card and the archetype from the game. Not a good idea.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Northern realms
Winch, this card really is a big problem.
  • Remove this card because it's way overpowered with King Henselt/Nenneke deck.
    This card grants the ability to play 5-6 machines of one type with King Henselt leader.
  • Or make the created card doomed.
  • Or limit Henselt by playing 2 of the same cards (3 in total).

I think winch should simply be limited to playing machines not in your deck, like elven scout. it's powerful but only broken when it gets Nenneke'd to increase the power Henselt play.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Nenneke, combined with winch this card causes a lot of trouble and it's better than Assire var Anahid.
  • Change it to return 2 cards from graveyard instead of 3.

No it isn't, it's completely different. Assire's main duty isn't to return your stuff, it's to mess with theirs. Being able to affect your own graveyard is just an added bonus if there's nothing in theirs worth targeting. Nenneke is also situational and one of NR's few good cards.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Dun Banner, all the decks with cards played from the deck with a certain condition have a strength of 3.
  • Set strength to 3 instead of 4.
  • Or raise it to 25-26 points behind because with Thaler you basically get a free card.

Dun Banner don't need to be changed I don't think. If spies get altered they'll get fixed. They're an interesting effect and I wouldn't like to see it gone from the game.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Ves, this card is better than the Saskia gold card from Scoia'tael.
  • Lower strength 6-8.

What? Ves mulligans cards. Saskia picks two cards out of your library. How are these comparable? Saskia is better in every conceivable way unless you get incredibly lucky.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Scoia'tael
Hawker support + Vrihedd dragoon + Vrihedd neophyte, these cards are very annonying when playing against ambush units.
  • Ambush units often get boosted to 15-20 strength, change to boost (non-ambush) bronze cards only
  • Ambush is already a very good ability because your opponent doesn't know what to expect and they can't be damaged when turned upsite down.

Ambush is godawful and barely played. Don't be silly.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Elven scout, it 's just stupid point bashing with raindancers, vanguards and Aelirenn.
  • Make scouts and created cards doomed.
  • Let the vanguard only boost non doomed-elves.
  • Summon Aelirenn only with 6 non-doomed elves.

Scout's the least problematic of the create cards. If you want it deleted from the game just say so. It's currently only played because it helps get Aelirenn out quicker.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Wardancers, it's weird to start a game with already 3-9 points behind.
  • It would be fair if these cards are played from the deck/hand when swapped during a round, not before it.
    If you have to start the first round you really have a disadvantage.

You wait until you start with Mork, cerys and Olgierd on board for Skellige.

Wardancer is a problem though and should probably be changed along these lines.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Half-Elf Hunter, a tad to strong perhaps?
  • Set it to 2x 5 strength.

No. It's a 12 point vanilla bronze, perfectly in line with several others right now.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Iorvith, the boost all cards in hand ability isn't fair this card nearly always gets played in the first round.
  • Remove the boost ability and give it a strenghten with 1-3 to self ability when a unit OR leader is destroyed.

Iorveth wasn't even considered competitive until very recently. He only boosts elves and only elves in hand. That limits the power of the effect significantly, and it's only good right now because an almost pure elf deck exists. And that version of the deck isn't even the good version, since the good version uses several dorfs.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Milva, very annoying card when your opponent only has played gold cards.
  • Add the condition that this ability only works when the player has played a bronze or silver card themselves.
    Let the player choose from remove the highest bronze or highest silver cards.

Hell no. Milva's only okay. Yes she's annoying. Good. She generates very few actual points, it's not like its hard to catch up. As it is she barely sees play. Making her worse will just put her back where she was: seeing no play at all.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Isengrim outlaw, this can create a elf which is already in the starting deck.
  • Change it to create a elf which isn't in your starting deck.
    A good card such as Toruviel can be played 3 times in combination with a runestone (see miscellaneous below).

He's a 2 point gold for crying out loud.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Monsters
Nekkers, the combination with Nekker warrior and Brewess: Ritual makes this card overpowered.
  • Only boost by consuming when you hold a Nekker in your hand or placed on the battlefield, not in deck.
  • Let them ressurect (if possible) immediately after they are destroyed.

This would delete the deck. No.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Nekker warrior, change it.
  • Add 1 copy to deck instead of two.

This change alone makes the nekker change unnecessary.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Arachas behemoth, change it.
  • Half the repeat ability (max 2 times).
  • Don't let it spawn Arachas drone(s).

No. It's a balanced card that can easily be shut down and gets usually so-so value.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Werewolf, you only can scorch or igni them to keep up which is stupid.
  • Remove immunity so they can be damaged.
  • Or make it a silver card with immunity.
    If it will become a silver let it at least be possible to compress them in a artefect.

It's the only good bronze in moonlight. No.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Brewess: Ritual, change it to something else this card is too strong.
  • Don't have suggestions for this one.

No it isn't. It's good but in no way OP. The one degenerate interaction is with nekkers, but that's not the fault of the gold, but the nekker warrior.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Draug, it's a bit overpowered because this card always gets played in combination with Triss: Butterflies or commanders horn.
  • Limit it to 15 points in total instead of filling an entire row.

Hell no. Draug still barely sees any play. The only leader who does is Monsters LEAST POPULAR leader, and then only 10% of the time. And you want to make this barely played gold even weaker?

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Cyclops, I think this card can be quite overpowered with deathwish units.
  • Restrict the ability to non-deathwish units only.
  • Or lower base strength to 1-3.

This card is blank unless it's with deathwish units. In literal terms it just adds 11 points to the point and nothing more. If you want to delete it from the game, say so. Nobody in their right mind is playing a 3 pt bronze that can get a little bit of value if you happen to have a decent deathwish target to use as ammunition.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Imlerith: Sabbath, I like the ability of this card but it should be tweaked a bit.
  • With the Mandrake suggestion ahead (only playable on silver/bronze) in mind give it 5 armor.
    But remove reset armor and strengthen by 2 change it to reset and strengthen by 2 only.
  • Or give it more strength but duel at the start of a turn.

Might be alright. If you're going to change it at all this seems okay.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Neutral
Bekkers dark mirror, a tricky card because most of the time it transfers 10 boost to your enemy.
  • Make it more reliable, like transfer up to 7 strength from the highest enemy and boost your lowest unit with it.

Good idea. Might be too weak though.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Iris' companions, also a unreliable card I played it three times with 2-3 cards in my hand and it never swapped.
  • Make it more reliable, let it automatically pick a cardcolor from your hand and choose a card (from deck or limited number) with the same color.

"I gave myself a 25-33% chance of losing my card and I lost my card. How could I have prevented this?"

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Mandrake, with all the resurrecting golds (Cahir) and duelling (Imlerith Sabbath) it's time to limit this card.
  • Let it only be playable on silver and bronze cards.
    An 11 +2 armor Imlerith is hard to stop and a Cahir + boosted Jan Calveit + whatever is next is better than a Ciri Nova!

It's possible that we're reaching that point, yes. Or maybe change it to weaken on the one hand but boost on the other. There's a lot of powerful interactions starting to pop up and there'll be more over time.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Geralt of Rivia, it needs a bit more strength.
  • Set it to 16-18

He's meant to be a starting gold who eventually teaches you that straight power isn't enough. You shouldn't play Geralt after a certain point.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Scorch, tweak it a bit.
  • Banish units that are destroyed by scorch so they won't enter the graveyard.
    It's weird to resurrect an scorched unit while it basically gets destroyed.

Makes the card faaaaaaar too strong. Banish must always be a premium removal effect. You shouldn't forget that there's a faction (ostensibly) based around graveyard interaction)

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Mahakam ale, when combined with a alchemist (or whatever unit who can spawn it) it's a tiny bit overpowered.
  • Let it boost by 3 for each row.

The power should be split to 2 on 2 on each row, so it takes more effort to get full value out of the ale. The only problem with it is that 1 on each row is too easy currently.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Dimeritium shackles, never seen this card played.
  • When played on locked ally: unlock and heal.
  • When played on enemy: lock and deal 6 damage.

Won't work. It isn't played because removal is better. This doesn't fix that, save ruining Morkvarg's day..

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Add a new gold or silver card to play 2 bronze items from your deck.

This could be incomprehensibly broken. For example, two spears can easily add up to 26 damage.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Miscellaneous
Silver runestones, it's possible to play 2 of the same silver cards.
  • Change it to create a silver card from your faction which isn't in your starting deck.

I don't know if this is a good idea. Increasing their reliability only increases the chances that they get that one tech card they needed but wouldn't normally include. I.e. the exact reason people hate runestones in the first place.

1990BW;n10566662 said:
Locked units, a few suggestions.
  • Banish them when they enter the graveyard.
  • Keep them locked when resurrected.
  • Block abilities on locked units such as: adding cards with Nekker warriors and summoning cards like Reaver scouts etc.

Keeping them locked when resurrected is the minimum they need to do. I thought they already blocked abilities though?

Overall... some good ideas, some bad, some in the middle. Kind of a usual CDPR patch then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow iamthedave thx for sharing your opinion about the suggestions, really appreciate it!
I'd like to comment on all your feedback but that will result in an enormous message.
So I pick out a few comments that caught my attention.

Standard Bearer, Officers aren't soldiers, that's the point. My guess would be the issue with Daerlan reveal is the same as the issue with slave infantry, whatever it is. It might be overpowered if it triggered three times when you played slave infantry though. Maybe a slightly better effect or even a different effect when officers come into play would be worth thinking about.

The Daerlean + Standard bearer could serve as a different variant soldierdeck.
I understand the slave infantry issue but I also mentioned it should only trigger on non-doomed soldiers, slave infantry spawns 1 soldier and 2 doomed units.
The way I imagine a good opening with my suggestions would be a Standardbearer (8) and next Alba Pikemen (3x3 + 3x2 boost).
When an officer comes into play perhaps add 2 armor to all soldiers? Or +1 boost for the standard bearer?

Serrit, Nobody plays locks. You're proposing a worse Auckes. Best fix for Serrit is probably a completely different but useful ability. It might even be worth giving him a version of the viper witcher's ability, if we also make vip witches str 6 so they can't be ressed. That way NG gets 4 good removal tools in its alchemy package but one is a silver. Or maybe some different alchemy synergy. +1 str per 2 alchemy cards in the deck, maybe?

Put a lock on a revealed unit would be an unique ability and a very usefull one.
For instance you could lock the ability of an 13 Spy or a Ciri Nova :D
To make it playable on a revealed gold is most probably OP (haha) but a bronze or silver, why not?
Alchemy already has a lot of silver options I think adding another one wouldn't change Serrits's popularity.

Vreemde, Don't we have Vreemde for that?

With Vreemde you get a random selection of 3 soldiers to pick from.
Sometimes usefull, sometimes terrible it's often hit & miss actually.
What I suggest with the gold General (or whatever you want to call it) would be purely tactical.
You can pick every Nilgaardian Soldier, rather than a selection by the game, to get a certain job done.
For instance if you play reveal and uncovered a card such as Olaf (20) or Geralt of Rivia (15) you (probably) want to play a Venendal Elite.
If you don't have a Venendal in your starting deck the suggested gold card would be the outcome.
I can think of numerous scenarios where this card could be very usefull.

Spotter/Alchemist, The alchemist's ability is maybe odd but it's critical in reveal, so it has to stay unless another card gets that ability. I'm not against swapping spotter and alchemist's abilities, mind, as a spotter spotting things (revealing) makes quite a bit of sense.

No it shouldn't be removed :D The Spotter just makes more sense for revealing, swapping abilities with the Alchemist should be fine.
The Spotter is a soldier so it can be combined with a standard bearer.
Add Recruit or Pikeman, Daerlon Soldier, Master of Disguise, Alba Spearman and Fire Scorpions and you have a new reveal deck!

Tibor Eggebracht has needed an overhaul for ages. Make him a soldier deck synergising finisher.

Tibor Eggebracht + The Guardian is an okayisch combo but most of the time he gets scorched anyways.
I don't mind if he will get synergy with soldiers.
Perhaps give him 10 strength, let him ressurect all soldiers with 1-4 strength but let your opponent draw the top card of their deck and reveal it?

Winch, I think winch should simply be limited to playing machines not in your deck, like elven scout. it's powerful but only broken when it gets Nenneke'd to increase the power Henselt play.

Winch is terrible and your suggestion could help.
In ranked play it's very common to play against decks with 3x winch, summoning circle and Triss: Telekinesis.
That is 5x winch and the chance to get at least 2 of the same machines is big.
It can even be worse if they play summoning circle on a nekker warrior!
Perhaps summoning circle should be removed from the game (as well) because of this.

Half-Elf Hunter, No. It's a 12 point vanilla bronze, perfectly in line with several others right now.

When you play a 12 strength bronze it should have a consequences (same for SK bears).
A lot of players complain about the Nilfgaardian Knight but that card reveals a card in your hand.
I lost games because of that.

Isengrim outlaw, He's a 2 point gold for crying out loud

You missed the point I guess, what I mentioned here is a(nother) flaw in creating cards.
With Isengrim and a Runstone it's possible to play 3 of the same silvercards in a game.
It's silly to play against three Toruviels or not?

Dimeritium Schackles, Keeping them locked when resurrected is the minimum they need to do. I thought they already blocked abilities though?

They block abilities on the card it's played on but a Nekker warrior for instance can still target a locked Nekker and add 2 copies to their deck.

Last edited:
Just an idea that crossed my mind:

Remove all the create cards from ranked/casual play and move them to Arena

Added some Geralt sign cards suggestions to the start post.

Geralt: Professional, not a good gold card give it 2 options to pick from.
  • Silver sword: destroy a non-human.
  • Steel sword: destroy a human.
Geralt: Yrden, not a good effect for a gold card.
  • Let it apply a hazerd or a boon:
    Hazerd: weaken all enemies on a row by 1.
    Boon: boost all allies on a row by +1 per turn.
    Add a 2-3 turns timer on it.
Geralt: Quen, this would be a new gold card.
  • Let it block all damage on a row.
    Put a 2-3 turn timer on it.
    Give it 6 strength.
  • Or add the option to select an bronze or silver ally and protect against all damage for 2-3 turns.
Geralt: Axii, this would be a new gold card.
  • Let it charm a bronze or silver unit up to 6 strength.
    Give it 2 strength.
  • Or add the option to remove a bronze or silver enemy and put it at the bottem of their deck.
  • Or let him charm units with 2 strength for 3-4 turns (charm one unit per round).
Geralt: Aard, add an option.
  • Keep the 3 damage push but add the option Aard Sweep:
    Deal 2 damage to a row.
Geralt: Igni, add an option.
  • Keep the destroy the highest unit on a row (if more than 25 strength) but add an burn effect:
    Burn all targets on a row deal 1 damage for 2 or 3 turns.

Last edited:
Some ideas for the Alchemist and Venendal Elite IF the Spotter will get the ability to reveal 2 cards:

Spotter
  • Give the Spotter the abilities of the Alchemist (reveal 2 cards / 9 strength).
  • I don't see the link between mages/alchemy and revealing cards + trigger machines.
    This should be done by a soldier I think.
Venendal Elite, with the above suggestion in mind change this card to:
  • If enemy: switch this unit's power with that of a revealed enemy unit.
  • If ally: copy the power of an ally.
    Cantarella can't be damaged to 1 with this.
Alchemist, this card needs a new ability due to the above Spotter and Venendal Elite suggestions.
  • Let him play organic cards.
  • Or let it upgrade the ammunition on NG machines/missile units by targeting a revealed machine:
    Fire Scorpion: add fire effect for 1 turn: damage all units on a row by 1 for 2-3 turns.
    Mangonel: add explosives for 1-2 turns: deal double damage.
    Rot Tosser: toss body parts for 1 turn: this will create a fear effect on a row, units with 1-2 strength will flee the battlefield.
    Deithwen Arbalest: add fire effect for 1 turn: damage all units on a row by 1 for 2-3 turns.
First Light, let it only clear weather; keep play random bronze unit from deck.
  • With the suggested row effects in mind draw a line between weather and hazard effects.
    For example it's weird to remove a pit trap by letting the sun shine :D
    This will make the game more dynamic and the clear hazards units more popular/necessary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom