Geralt: Professional needs 1 more strength

+
Geralt: Professional needs 1 more strength

Why? Well, its ability is similar to Menno Coehorn, and Menno is 8. So Geralt: Proffesional should be 8. That is my logic.

There are times when Menno can have no good targets, but he can still deal 4 damage. Similarily, Geralt: proffesional wont have good targets most of the time (more times than Menno, in fact), but he can still deal 4 damage. So why is he 7 instead of 8 like Menno?? Actually, Menno is a card that is seeing few use right now, so I dont see how giving Geralt 1 more power for doing the same as Menno would be so overpowered.

gabusan Thread moved

The thing with Geralt Professional is that it was only supposed to be viable in Arena. A card that only works against a certain faction isn't something you'll see often in ranked or casual.

Also keep in mind that neutral cards are usually weaker than faction cards. So comparisons don't make that much sense here. Besides, Menno for example needs setup, while Geralt Professional doesn't.

I assure you that if a deck as a neutral card in it, it is because it is the best possible option. Claiming that neutrals are weaker makes no sense. Even something like Vaedermakar, with one less effect than the faction mages, can still bethe best option in deck building because it casts frost and not rain, and your deck might need the frost effects. This is specially true for golds. Surely no one sees the neutral golds as inherently weaker than faction golds, because that is not the case, plenty of times the neutral is more powerful in the right deck. There is always an exploitable adventage in neutrals that puts them in the same potential level as the faction cards, if not stronger.

And Geralt Proffesional needs "set up", although not in the traditional sense, in the fact opponent must be playing monster faction. Even against monsters, the set up of Gerald: Proffesional would be leaving a fat, boosted monster around untouched to obtain maximum value when you play him. Opponent might never play a high value monster, and then there is nothing you can do to get more than basic value from Geralt's ability. On the other hand, the set up of Menno depends on you exclusively. If you cannot set up a good target for him, it is enterily your fault.

Last edited:
Doubt a +1 would make it more viable, even in arena its a situational card and i would only pick it if i don't have any other better option, maybe adding a second effect to the card, but nothing comes to mind that would actually make a difference.

OG.laloquaint;n10681741 said:
You'd have to be crazy to use this card out of arena.

I use Professional in a constructed deck, though I also have Johnny to discard him when not facing Monsters. :p
It's not optimal in any sense of the word, but I love the card. Instant pick in the Arena for me. :D

A one-point boost for him would be nice; even one point can turn a tie into a victory or a defeat into a tie.

Geralt: Professional should be built like Letho: Kingslayer. One flavour ability that's cool and will hardly ever be used, and one actual ability that will be now and again.

Mostly I just don't want that awesome art to go to waste :D

I don't agree with this suggestion. Geralt: Professional is a crazy hate card - it's absurd against one faction and bleagh against everyone else. This kind of card shouldn't exist. If it isn't reworked, it's better to remain underpowered.

Jeydra;n10696721 said:
I don't agree with this suggestion. Geralt: Professional is a crazy hate card - it's absurd against one faction and bleagh against everyone else. This kind of card shouldn't exist. If it isn't reworked, it's better to remain underpowered.

So basically, you dont want the card to exist, so it should not be changed because the way it is, no one is using it. So currently it is as if it did not exist, which suits your taste.

But you know, cards are supposed to be there to be played. That is why I think Geralt: Professional should see some kind of change to make it viable.

Jeydra;n10696721 said:

Not really 'absurd'. What monster cards can Geralt Professional kill, that desperately need killing, that a scorch or Gigni can't handle? And if those can't handle it, Alzur's Thunder probably can.

gabusan;n10698611 said:
So basically, you dont want the card to exist, so it should not be changed because the way it is, no one is using it. So currently it is as if it did not exist, which suits your taste.

But you know, cards are supposed to be there to be played. That is why I think Geralt: Professional should see some kind of change to make it viable.

I can agree that it should see some kind of change to make it viable (hence the rework), but not with its current function. I don't object to the card itself, only that the fact that it's absurd vs. one faction and bleagh against everything else.

DRK3

Forum veteran
For those that are saying Geralt Professional is only good vs MO, i repeat what i already said before: play MO yourself, then use Operator or Frightener.

If used on Frightener (silver spy), it should work exactly like Menno and Cantarella. If you use Operator, make sure your opponent cant mulligan his MO card, and give him something he wants to play. My personal favorite is forktail, making him consume big units under weather to protect his points, then use Professional for a +25 pt play.

On the suggestion itself, i think there are many other Golds that deserve that 1 pt of base strength more, and are waiting for it for way longer.

If you are going to use Geralt: pro in your own monster deck to destroy your own Frightner, like Menno does with Cantarella (it has been ages since I saw someone try that, by the way), would it not make sense that it should have the same strenght point value as Menno? The way it is, you are getting one less point value for the same tactic, after all. And as for the trick with Operator, Menno can do it easier using Infiltrators, that also combo with other cards.

Last edited:
gabusan;n10704851 said:
would it not make sense that it should have the same strenght point value as Menno?

Because Geralt and Menno are the say in one scenario doesn't mean there are the same in another. Furthermore, you cannot compare cards cross-faction in a vacuum. Anyhow, Geralt: Professional is more limited but with a higher variance.

Top Bottom