Faction Challenge Improvements

+
Faction Challenge Improvements

This is currently my second faction challenge, in both cases I have achieved more than 50 wins for my chosen faction. I am fortunate enough being able to invest the according time and managed to get about 10 wins per day. Having said that I would like to point out two things and then make a proposal for some potential changes/improvements:

- Many people complain that 30 wins to get the border is too hard to accomplish as a casual player. Now I would consider myself a casual player as well. Also getting a reward like a border should not be achievable by just playing "as usual". To me that does not equate to an achievement. Some extra effort should be needed. Also I don't know how many of the players are actually getting the border. If it is like 80% then the argument comes from a minority and is not as viable as if only 30% can achieve the goal.
- I found myself getting sick and tired of facing the same decks from the same factions over and over again. Heck, I got even sick and tired of playing my own same deck every day to get the wins.

What could be done to address these points:
1. Make the faction challenge last only three days, from Friday noon until Monday noon. This includes the weekend where most players have a better chance to allocate more time than usual (i.e. "extra effort"). This will also reduce the monotony of having to play and face the same faction decks considerably because of the shorter duration.
2. Adapt the reward structure accordingly. Title after 5 wins. Getting this quicker also increases the faction identity feeling. Border from last (according) faction challenge after 10 wins. That should be easy to achieve even for casual players, is faction specific, but leaves the opportunity to offer a new border for all those who want the go the extra mile, e.g. 30 wins. The numbers could be tweaked of course and intermediate rewards like powder, scraps and kegs can still be a thing.

I believe by making the faction challenge shorter it gets more to the point and becomes less of a drudgery. It also distracts less from the actual season, i.e. ranked ladder (in my case).

I like the idea of a shorter challenge window, since it would be less disruptive... but then I wonder if the disruption isn't part of the point for CDPR

ErraticSpawn;n10700081 said:
Make the faction challenge last only three days
Yes. And I think it should be in the end of the month.

Up until the faction challenge, i faced a wide range of decks (well not really), but after the faction challenge started, it looked like this: henselt,henselt,henselt,deatwish,deathwish,henselt,deathwish.
Same thing happened last month, but it was worse with the constant string of ST swarm.

Of course when the challenge is over some of them going back to viper witchers, some don't (like last month after the challenge in the majority of the games i played i was still up against the same ST swarm deck).

Faction challenges make a stale meta even more stale by forcing everyone into two factions instead of five. The whole idea is counter-intuitive. The OP already gave a suggestion, but I want to take it one step further by completely removing the faction challenge altogether. Instead, the title and portrait rewards can be gained by playing respectively 30 and 60 games in a season (month) with a faction of your choice. Meaning you will receive the rewards for the most played faction with more than 30/60 matches.

4RM3D;n10955546 said:
Faction challenges make a stale meta even more stale by forcing everyone into two factions instead of five. The whole idea is counter-intuitive. The OP already gave a suggestion, but I want to take it one step further by completely removing the faction challenge altogether. Instead, the title and portrait rewards can be gained by playing respectively 30 and 60 games in a season (month) with a faction of your choice. Meaning you will receive the rewards for the most played faction with more than 30/60 matches.

Or that. And let's simply called them "Faction Loyalty Rewards".

I love both of these ideas. The two week long faction challenges made me stop playing until they we're over. Got way too boring. I enjoy the challenge of playing and facing different decks.

4RM3D;n10955546 said:

As it stands, the whole endeavour has lost its identity. Maybe instead of two factions battling it out, they could make it all five factions. Call it battle of the five kings/armies or something. Held once every two months, lasting 3 days ( a weekend). Give different rewards based on the number of wins accrued over individual factions so that the rewards are quite diverse.
Until they revamp this faction war altogether, I know I'll be wearing my straw hat, sitting on the fence and watching from afar.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see the current faction challenge impacting the meta as much as before. Sure there are maybe more decks from the warring factions present, but their dominance is not that overbearing as on previous challenges. And to be fair the go-to decks of all three other factions have suffered significant losses with the recent patch so it may also play a role in this.
Maybe majority of the players have already claimed their vanities in previous challenges and the other rewards just don't worth grinding for.

Actually I'd like to keep faction challenges in some form as they can be flavorful on paper, but also don't like current or previous implementations.
Maybe it would be a good idea to completely remove rewards for individual players and restrict to rewarding the winning faction itself. Like in previous challenges more frequent Arena cards for the faction or now with the premium cards. So there would be no strong incentive to grind, pick the winning side or pick the other side over your favorite faction just because you don't have its vanities yet.

Maybe participant players could also get a fitting title for supporting both the winning and the losing faction (e.g. losing Monster supporters could become Sleeping Giants :)).
To keep it meaningful for further challenges the titles could only be kept until the next faction challenge. Or maybe every challenge could give new titles (that needs some constant creative work though and may trigger annoyance of being left out for new players).

And the length should definitely get shorter. Since there would be no grinding element left, it makes no sense keep the challenge too long.

I think many people missed a great advantage in the Faction Challenge: Targeting.

After facing many SK decks in the first day, I just added two cards and they worked wonders: Necromancy and Donar.
Now I can easily counter SK.

Donar also works well against Monsters, which are mostly running Sabbath for easy wins!

About the rewards I guess the requirements could be a little lower (like -5 for the the highest three rewards), but I guess reducing the points will make them less valuable.
If the border is for just 15-20 wins, everyone will walk around with borders, making them less cool.

I guess the point was to show dedication for the faction, so only the ones with most dedication will rise above everyone else.

Top Bottom