More Symbolic Card Design

+
More Symbolic Card Design

Hello, Is it possible to have more symbols to describe on card itself rather than description?

Sorry may be it's me but this new tag mechanism is so confusing specially with some factions like Sk / Mo / Nr where there is so many clans, monster types & remembering every faction cards with growing card base is really hard as we all know gwent is all about synergy & cards works on each other so 1 wrong card draw can ruin your game.

At least I think that graphical/symbolic presentation is quite easy to remember like... CD in circle below card strength to show Clan Dimun Or DR to show Draconid etc. so that we can quickly understand the card without actually checking card description.

yehh & actually it's more tough for new players or to players who never played witcher game so either make it easy with few tags or completely remove or as I said above ass more symbolic way directly on card.

l_WHIT3WOLF_l;n10792841 said:
Hello, Is it possible to have more symbols to describe on card itself rather than description?

Sorry may be it's me but this new tag mechanism is so confusing specially with some factions like Sk / Mo / Nr where there is so many clans, monster types & remembering every faction cards with growing card base is really hard as we all know gwent is all about synergy & cards works on each other so 1 wrong card draw can ruin your game.

At least I think that graphical/symbolic presentation is quite easy to remember like... CD in circle below card strength to show Clan Dimun Or DR to show Draconid etc. so that we can quickly understand the card without actually checking card description.

I agree, for new players it is hard to remember all the tags, but symbols wouldnt help. Replacing tags with symbols would make it only more confusing as card effect descriptions mention names of the tags, but the cards would only have symbols, and you would have to remember which symbols mean what.. If you play a faction, its recommended to learn the tags, its just part of the game, no need to change it ;)

151Huntsman;n10799411 said:
I agree, for new players it is hard to remember all the tags, but symbols wouldnt help. Replacing tags with symbols would make it only more confusing as card effect descriptions mention names of the tags, but the cards would only have symbols, and you would have to remember which symbols mean what.. If you play a faction, its recommended to learn the tags, its just part of the game, no need to change it ;)

I really don't want cdpr to remove tags from description, I am just saying make it more easily understandable for every player out there which is not familiar with all the characters & their history & as we know more cards are going to be introduced or even new factions so it's going to be real hard to remember cards with those tags.

But sadly I realize that there are cards with more than 1 tag & adding symbol for each tag on card itself is I think not possible but still cdpr really needs to find out something about these tags.

151Huntsman;n10799411 said:

If you mouse over the symbol/icon it could just show the tag name.

Also, rather than the symbols being abbreviations, make them images. Like the white eagle on a red background for Redania, lillies for Temeria, etc... And for monsters, just make an outline of the monster in question. Draconids would have the outline of a forktail as their icon, beasts would have wolves, etc...
I believe the Skellige clans would have to receive brand new icons, because I don't believe there are any flags or crests in the lore atm, but that doesn't see too hard... A horn or bagpipes for Heymaey (clan of bards and artists), a drakkar for Dimun (pirates), a bow and arrow for Brokvar (lots of hunters), etc...

DannyGuy;n10806081 said:
Also, rather than the symbols being abbreviations, make them images.

abbreviations is just an example anything would be fine but as I said many cards are with more than 1 tag like... soldier + clan or support + clan or clan + support + doom etc. so it's not possible to add images or any kind of symbol on cards for all these tags.

I hope cdpr will find something to make cards more easily understandable just by looking at the card.

l_WHIT3WOLF_l;n10799551 said:
I really don't want cdpr to remove tags from description, I am just saying make it more easily understandable for every player out there which is not familiar with all the characters & their history & as we know more cards are going to be introduced or even new factions so it's going to be real hard to remember cards with those tags.

But sadly I realize that there are cards with more than 1 tag & adding symbol for each tag on card itself is I think not possible but still cdpr really needs to find out something about these tags.

how does remembering what each symbol stand for what tag is easier than just remembering the tags? idk, seems like it would clutter the card with more info that would mean even more things to remember.

151Huntsman;n10836561 said:
how does remembering what each symbol stand for what tag is easier than just remembering the tags? idk, seems like it would clutter the card with more info that would mean even more things to remember.

I hope you read the 2nd passage in post of mine which you quote but still the hole purpose of this thread & my suggestion is to make card more informative like those old card designs. At least for me gwent is old age game from ancient witcher world & for my taste current witcher UI, card designs & almost everything looks so modern.

Take this example...

Check the art.. its so simple & wow. Check the card all important info is there like strength, row indicator plus effect indicator which is bond if I remember correctly & at least I can prefer this card design any time with animated background & simple loop animation of character like in this case may be few swings of pickaxe of showing some angry expression with fist etc.

Fancy things look cool sometimes but in case of gwent those are killing impressiveness same as withcer 3 killed for me with modern looking society imho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom