Things That Need to be Fixed Before Homecoming

+
Things That Need to be Fixed Before Homecoming

Can you guys fix 1) Brouver coin flip where opponent mulligans Wardancer on blue coin and 2) Imlerith: Sabbath?

Losing to these two decks is the most miserable experience in Gwent (even if it doesn't happen often).

..the NG handbuff (specifically the spotter), the forking Greatsword as a means of carryover, the slave driver mechanic and the ointment on viper witcher resurrection.

Last edited:
In this all above strategies I only found problem in Imlerith: Sabbath as if you don't have counter then game over for you.
& viper witcher as 6 times 10 damage on key cards are almost game over for other player & this is not even skillful play.

This is the reason I always against total removal of cards in gwent. It's better if players will focus more on their own cards & strategies.

l_WHIT3WOLF_l;n10822501 said:
In this all above strategies I only found problem in Imlerith: Sabbath as if you don't have counter then game over for you.
& viper witcher as 6 times 10 damage on key cards are almost game over for other player & this is not even skillful play.

This is the reason I always against total removal of cards in gwent. It's better if players will focus more on their own cards & strategies.

And then people complain it's just a point spam contest. Not saying I disagree with you but I feel like people will complain either way.

Sabbath is not fine and being barely used is not a reason for not fixing it. I'd even say that any deck that can lead to a concession with 10+ cards left to play should be fixed. Brouver coin flip can do the same against certain decks. Does not apply to NR - you can drypass round 1 vs. NR on the blue coin.

I would like changes to other things as well but given that CDPR are investing all their time into Homecoming I'm content with just these two.

Jeydra;n10824291 said:
Sabbath is not fine and being barely used is not a reason for not fixing it. I'd even say that any deck that can lead to a concession with 10+ cards left to play should be fixed. Brouver coin flip can do the same against certain decks. Does not apply to NR - you can drypass round 1 vs. NR on the blue coin.

I would like changes to other things as well but given that CDPR are investing all their time into Homecoming I'm content with just these two.

Wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

I didn't play for a long time and I came back to the game at the start of the current season, but I've played a lot since.

I'm by no means a good player, and I'm guess casual-ish I'm level 33 and I've recently reached my best ranking at 17. I'm losing a lot since I hit rank 15, tho. Ofc in the game as it is right now, the coinflip is just too deciding (most of the strategy in the 1st and 2nd round is aimed at getting the 2nd turn on the deciding round) but as it's an issue they're already addressing I won't talk about it here.

I happen to agree that most of the strategies mentioned above are an issue. Oddly enough the wardancer and brouver is not a problem I've encountered much, although I see how it could be a problem on higher levels.

I just don't enjoy seeing certain strategies (and factions) used so often. Maybe a better player could counter them more often (certainly than I can), but I'm guessing they're good enough among low-ish level players because I'm seeing them a lot (Sabbath being the exception, although when played properly it seems unstoppable to me). Viper witcher + resurrection is overly simple and annoying to me, handbuff with spotters or shields looked ingenious to me the first time, but after a few it became tiresome.

I really really enjoy when I'm beaten by someone who plays more out-of-the box plays, and of course I'm aware every good strategy can become tiresome when you've seen it enough, and the combinations are finite, but there are a few things I just see all the time of (NG reveal, everyone and their mothers are playing NG at my rank these days, also NR henselt machines + crews etc etc). And of I also have certain mechanics that I try to use a lot (I wanted to try more original stuff but atm I simply lack a lot of epic and legendary cards I'd need for some decks).

Against most of them I lose, and I'm aware it's mostly because I'm pretty bad. But also because I'm not focused on the thing most players seem to focus at this point: Destroy all and any cards that might lead to a good combo. All in all I find that atm, the game is all about disrupting all your rival's potential combos than anything else, little active play, lots of reactive play. Lots of Althur's thunder. Lots of dead units. In fact, I've been having more success with a hastily thrown together NR deck with items and mages than my traditionally successful-at-low-levels Skellige decks, that focus much more on building up points.

I'd also like to mention that I barely face monsters anymore... guessing most of their combos aren't just aggressive enough for the style of play I find most players using around my rank.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Pruny;n10840031 said:
Yeah, because Ng alchemy destroys all engine decks. Nobody take that risk.

​​​​​​https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/8cr7hu/slave_hunter_nova/

Check the latest meta report https://gwentup.com/report/18/12. Jan Calveit's win rate vs. Arachas Queen, Dagon and Harald - the three best engine decks - is pretty poor.

Also relatively speaking faction balance is pretty good right now. All five factions are represented among the top six decks; this applied also in the last meta update for the 3900+ bracket. If CDPR are going to disappear for six months now is a relatively good time; I think they should still fix the two issues in the OP though because those are so very frustrating.

Jeydra;n10840931 said:
Check the latest meta report https://gwentup.com/report/18/12. Jan Calveit's win rate vs. Arachas Queen, Dagon and Harald - the three best engine decks - is pretty poor.

Also relatively speaking faction balance is pretty good right now. All five factions are represented among the top six decks; this applied also in the last meta update for the 3900+ bracket. If CDPR are going to disappear for six months now is a relatively good time; I think they should still fix the two issues in the OP though because those are so very frustrating.

with Monsters enjoying the poorest representation and Skellige the greatest. NG and NR also have only 1 top tier deck, while ST and SK have 3 each (Brouver Shupe, Brouver swap and Eithne Control while the other one has X-Men, Veterans and Greatswords). Balance among the top tier decks is fine, as they are all beatable somewhat, but really, among factions, it's harder to achieve.

Also that's not the latest. The latest is this one:

https://gwentup.com/report/18/13

ser2440;n10840951 said:
with Monsters enjoying the poorest representation and Skellige the greatest. NG and NR also have only 1 top tier deck, while ST and SK have 3 each (Brouver Shupe, Brouver swap and Eithne Control while the other one has X-Men, Veterans and Greatswords). Balance among the top tier decks is fine, as they are all beatable somewhat, but really, among factions, it's harder to achieve.

Also that's not the latest. The latest is this one:

https://gwentup.com/report/18/13

Thanks for link. Same thing holds though - all five factions are represented among the top six decks. Compare the numbers from previous metas such as the notoriously unbalanced dwarves meta: https://gwentup.com/report/18/4

LucasKane_qd;n10839731 said:
Against most of them I lose, and I'm aware it's mostly because I'm pretty bad. But also because I'm not focused on the thing most players seem to focus at this point: Destroy all and any cards that might lead to a good combo. All in all I find that atm, the game is all about disrupting all your rival's potential combos than anything else, little active play, lots of reactive play. Lots of Althur's thunder. Lots of dead units. In fact, I've been having more success with a hastily thrown together NR deck with items and mages than my traditionally successful-at-low-levels Skellige decks, that focus much more on building up points.

I'd also like to mention that I barely face monsters anymore... guessing most of their combos aren't just aggressive enough for the style of play I find most players using around my rank.

Not really. I played mostly axemen and cursed skellige this season and have 75%+ winrate on both of those while climbing up to 4k MMR.

Neither of these decks has many tools to disrupt anything. The first one aims to deal damage to everything on the opponent's side, the other is quite the opposite - points spam + carry over.

Moreover, several top tier decks are entirely proactive: greatswords, consume, veterans, different variations of Brouver (classic, Nova, Shupe), NG handbuff. Even NG alchemy has a lot of ways to be proactive. Basically, only Henselt machines and Eithne scorch rely heavily on control.

It's strange that you don't see a lot of monsters. The last season deathwish Dagon decks were pretty popular on lower ranks.

Jeydra;n10840931 said:

i dont think nekers and axemen are engines. but anyway curent meta is broken, braindead elfswarm all over plus henselt winch abomination.
:bored:

Pruny;n10841241 said:
i dont think nekers and axemen are engines. but anyway curent meta is broken, braindead elfswarm all over plus henselt winch abomination.
:bored:

What is an engine to you? Most other people would call it a card that generates points over time. You could argue Nekkers are not engines (although I'd say they are, since they gain points over time conditional on other things being active). But you can't argue that Axemen are not engines. All weather cards are engines and Axemen run four of them, together with Whalers as enablers. And the Axemen themselves generate points over time.

If you think Elfswarm is so braindead you should try playing it and reaching the top 100.

What is an engine to you? Most other people would call it a card that generates points over time. You could argue Nekkers are not engines (although I'd say they are, since they gain points over time conditional on other things being active). But you can't argue that Axemen are not engines. All weather cards are engines and Axemen run four of them, together with Whalers as enablers. And the Axemen themselves generate points over time.

that's where I disagree. I am pretty sure an engine is the entire combo, or strategy. The units are merely parts of that engine. Just like a real engine is greater than the sum of its parts. The greatswords engine is made up of greatswords, longships, dimun corsairs and dimun pirate captains. The axemen engine or damage engine is made up of axemen and dimun warships. The spy engine is made up of imperas of both kinds, and spies.

A single unit with an active ability is not an actual engine in my opinion. It needs the synergy in order to be part of an engine. Mangonels are not engines outside the reveal deck.

At least that's how I see it, since there is no actual definition anywhere. But when people ask for more engines, that is what they really mean. Not cards like Sabbath, but the whole thing. The whole strategy.

For me a good engine is made up of the following:
  • a way to tutor some parts of it
  • the primary point generator, the main unit with an active ability
  • a unit that synergizes/triggers the aforementioned umit's ability
  • a backup plan, in case the engine gets stopped.
When spies were good, the backup plan was simply more imperas. As for now, Greatswords' backup plan is simply to revive anything that gets removed.

Jeydra;n10841451 said:
If you think Elfswarm is so braindead you should try playing it and reaching the top 100.
i dont play netdecks. my swordmasters cant kill all elfswarm but they destroy henselts machines.
http://www.imagebam.com/image/874421826308293

Ps.engine cards for me dragoons,archespore, reinforced trebuchet,light longship. these get stolen by slave driver and make alchemy op.
if they steal neker or axeman its not giving them points

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
There are few bronze cards which are simply too overpowered (with my very limited experience. I have 3400 mmr and I am a relatively new player)

Greatsword: When they enter graveyard, their power should be reset to their base power. It is ridiculous to see a single Greatsword resurrected multiple times and in the round 3 come back with 20+ strength. No single bronze card can win more than one round, but greatsword can win two rounds (an entire game).

Viper Witcher: With 3 VW, 3 ointment, and all other Alchemy cards, as soon as the game starts, without any setup, they come with 6 bronze cards which are worth 15 points (I have faced an opponent once whose VW did 11 damage). This is ridiculous.

Fire Scorpion: With very very little efforts, they are worth 20 points. Reveal once, Conceal once, Reveal Once, Deploy. I have faced this many times and I always lose to this. They have two fire scorpions and do this. Just pure ridiculous.

Spotter: Emryr deploys Nilfguardian Knight (who can't even be killed by Manticore Venom!), Deploys Vesemir, pulls Mandrake Root, boosts the Nilfguardian to 18 and take it back to his hand. Then uses spotter and Wyvern Scale Shield and the game is pretty much over. Other Leaders can simply use a Nilfguarding Knight and get 17 power bronze.

Battering Ram: Killing a unit with 3 attack may seem a little difficult, but they can soften it with other machines (which also repeat their ability by crew) and then do it with a crew, getting 13 power. And if they are accomapined by a siege master, it does another 8 damage and so on. While other machines repeat their ability with 2 damage, this one can repeat with 8 or 7 damage. Ridiculous amount of damage for a bronze.

There may be other combos other cards which are annoying, but I just wanted to tell about over powered bronze cards. CDPR, please balance the bronze cards. Determine the average or normal point worth for bronze and make sure that no card get it very easily or without any setup. Swordmaster can do a ridiculous amount of damage, but it needs hell lot of preparation and luck. The above mentioned cards can dish out huge amount of points without much efforts or very very limited setup which isn't worth the damage they give.

Last edited:
rrc;n10844331 said:
There are few bronze cards which are simply too overpowered (with my very limited experience. I have 3400 mmr and I am a relatively new player)

Greatsword: When they enter graveyard, their power should be reset to their base power. It is ridiculous to see a single Greatsword resurrected multiple times and in the round 3 come back with 20+ strength. No single bronze card can win more than one round, but greatsword can win two rounds (an entire game).

Viper Witcher: With 3 VW, 3 ointment, and all other Alchemy cards, as soon as the game starts, without any setup, they come with 6 bronze cards which are worth 15 points (I have faced an opponent once whose VW did 11 damage). This is ridiculous.

Fire Scorpion: With very very little efforts, they are worth 20 points. Reveal once, Conceal once, Reveal Once, Deploy. I have faced this many times and I always lose to this. They have two fire scorpions and do this. Just pure ridiculous.

Spotter: Emryr deploys Nilfguardian Knight (who can't even be killed by Manticore Venom!), Deploys Vesemir, pulls Mandrake Root, boosts the Nilfguardian to 18 and take it back to his hand. Then uses spotter and Wyvern Scale Shield and the game is pretty much over. Other Leaders can simply use a Nilfguarding Knight and get 17 power bronze.

Battering Ram: Killing a unit with 3 attack may seem a little difficult, but they can soften it with other machines (which also repeat their ability by crew) and then do it with a crew, getting 13 power. And if they are accomapined by a siege master, it does another 8 damage and so on. While other machines repeat their ability with 2 damage, this one can repeat with 8 or 7 damage. Ridiculous amount of damage for a bronze.

There may be other combos other cards which are annoying, but I just wanted to tell about over powered bronze cards. CDPR, please balance the bronze cards. Determine the average or normal point worth for bronze and make sure that no card get it very easily or without any setup. Swordmaster can do a ridiculous amount of damage, but it needs hell lot of preparation and luck. The above mentioned cards can dish out huge amount of points without much efforts or very very limited setup which isn't worth the damage they give.

No time to point all this out, people are too busy trying to get yet another ST archetype rendered useless. Good post though, I agree 100%.

Top Bottom