Restore Card

+
Restore Card

I'm not sure how many people are running this or would consider it. To me, the card is only a graveyard mulligan with no power gain or tempo. I liked it when it strengthen the unit for 3, and I think that should come back.

Restore is one of the best gold cards currently. You can resurrect your Ciri if you won round one. You can resurrect opponent's Tibor in round 3, when he's already out of bronze cards. Or Regis... Or... you get the point.

kaalev

Forum regular
NlelithZ44;n8730940 said:
Restore is one of the best gold cards currently. You can resurrect your Ciri if you won round one. You can resurrect opponent's Tibor in round 3, when he's already out of bronze cards. Or Regis... Or... you get the point.

I'm pretty sure the thread title is Restore Card and not Renewal Card.

I think Restore is really good, actually. At best, you can re-use another key Silver from your deck after Sig has been used (Draig, Holger, Champion, Gremist, e.t.c.), and at worst you can use it to Restore an An Craite Raider and then discard it to put it back into play which will generally be stronger than most other cards remaining in your deck by round 3. I wouldn't play it during any round earlier.

Compared to CB where nearly everyone ran Restore + Sig + 3xPoF, in OB I can't justify taking up a silver slot with Restore.

Sure it's still ok to pull back key cards, but it puts no points on the board (unless An Craite Raiders).

it ought to add 3-5 points and maybe a couple of points of armour or something to whatever you pull back into your hand so at least you've got some power play in the next turn.

EDIT: Actually I prefer shroudb's suggestion for Restore being able to pull from either graveyard - yours or your opponent's.

Last edited:
zantclick;n8732000 said:
I think Restore is really good, actually. At best, you can re-use another key Silver from your deck after Sig has been used (Draig, Holger, Champion, Gremist, e.t.c.), and at worst you can use it to Restore an An Craite Raider and then discard it to put it back into play which will generally be stronger than most other cards remaining in your deck by round 3. I wouldn't play it during any round earlier.

Freya on said An craite would be +1 power overall and it's a bronze card.

Spending TWO cards, one of them a silver, just to get a silver on hand is also really bad.

Decoy is neutral and it's tons better:
heals unit, plays immediately, gives +3, doesn't discards.

Really, they should straight up remove the "discard" part, or it should also draw a card as well, OR it should at least target both graveyards.

As it stands now, it really is:
lose 2 cards to gain 1. Which is terrible.

kaalev;n8731940 said:
I'm pretty sure the thread title is Restore Card and not Renewal Card.
Derp. I guess I didn't completely wake up when saw this thread.

Last edited:
shroudb;n8734400 said:
OR it should at least target both graveyards.
Actually that's a pretty damn good suggestion and helps Skellige retroactively "protect" their graveyard assets by countering graveyard stealing by stealing stuff back the following round.

I think it would be balanced because vs ST/NG/Monsters it's not like they can reuse key cards from their graveyard, vs NR there's usually not much you'd rather restore from their graveyard than from your own, and in the mirror match up vs Skellige it would be fine anyway.

I definitely agree that restore should have some added power to it. It sort of makes it a decoy for your graveyard. Maybe restore should buff the discarded unit instead of the resurrected one? I think that could be cool.

DannyGuy;n8743440 said:
I definitely agree that restore should have some added power to it. It sort of makes it a decoy for your graveyard. Maybe restore should buff the discarded unit instead of the resurrected one? I think that could be cool.

how about both?

the thing with restore vs decoy really is:
decoy costs 1 card to replay a card and give it +3
restore costs 2 cards to replay a card and do nothing else

so even if they gave it a +3 or something on one of the cards, it would STILL be too weak compared to a neutral

OR

give it the Lugos treatment:
make it discard from your DECK instead of your hand.

this way it won't be a straight card disadvantage that it's now

shroudb;n8744610 said:
how about both?

the thing with restore vs decoy really is:
decoy costs 1 card to replay a card and give it +3
restore costs 2 cards to replay a card and do nothing else

so even if they gave it a +3 or something on one of the cards, it would STILL be too weak compared to a neutral

OR

give it the Lugos treatment:
make it discard from your DECK instead of your hand.

this way it won't be a straight card disadvantage that it's now

Both ideas are great, and really keep the spirit of the card!

shroudb;n8734400 said:
Freya on said An craite would be +1 power overall and it's a bronze card.
It definitely used to be stronger and needs a buff - but not to how it used to be (strengthens, instant rez of any non-gold unit which was already possible via Sig). However you're discounting the fact that you can only run 3 Freyas per deck and 1 Sig for resurrection. Adding a 5th isn't necessary for most decks, but for some it's fantastic. Generally anything from a Skellige graveyard is twice as valuable as anything you'll draw from your deck later on. And yes, the An Craite example was merely a 'worst case scenario' rendering it a still playable card, which would be better than a Cleaver you might draw on the final round with no targets, or a Roach that doesn't quite make the difference earlier in the game (not saying its better than those two, just pointing out that it still has a situational possible use and isn't a waste of a hand slot).

zantclick;n8745140 said:
It definitely used to be stronger and needs a buff - but not to how it used to be (strengthens, instant rez of any non-gold unit which was already possible via Sig). However you're discounting the fact that you can only run 3 Freyas per deck and 1 Sig for resurrection. Adding a 5th isn't necessary for most decks, but for some it's fantastic. Generally anything from a Skellige graveyard is twice as valuable as anything you'll draw from your deck later on. And yes, the An Craite example was merely a 'worst case scenario' rendering it a still playable card, which would be better than a Cleaver you might draw on the final round with no targets, or a Roach that doesn't quite make the difference earlier in the game (not saying its better than those two, just pointing out that it still has a situational possible use and isn't a waste of a hand slot).

you're again comparing a (bad) neutral silver, cleaver, to a faction silver. and the difference is:
worst case scenario:
cleaver is a 6 point strength unit
restore is... nothing.
IF you run raiders, then restore is... a 6

so no, it's worse than cleaver, since a raider with double veterancy proc is still a 6

as for ideas, there are plenty in this thread already:
just mine are:
- Discards FROM THE DECK, and not from hand (making a terrible tempo play, but something more like a spy, a 0 value play that gives you 1 CA)
- Ressurects from BOTH graveyards (still won't be played, but it will at least have some extremely situational use)
- Buffs both the discarded and the returned card

I think we're on different pages because we've both reiterated our points and don't grasp the other, that's fine.

shroudb;n8745260 said:
you're again comparing a (bad) neutral silver, cleaver
That however, wtf? Cleaver's an auto-include in any deck until you collect all the other relevant silvers for it - and even then, a lot of decks would run him. (Off-topic, but mind blown)

zantclick;n8746680 said:
I think we're on different pages because we've both reiterated our points and don't grasp the other, that's fine.

That however, wtf? Cleaver's an auto-include in any deck until you collect all the other relevant silvers for it - and even then, a lot of decks would run him. (Off-topic, but mind blown)

not really, for starters he is the worst silver lock, all faction locks are better. then, when you get some of your silvers, a lot of times he is better quickly replaced by Dchains if the deck can afford it

Your guys proofed that this is the most terrible silver in the game. The dev should have overlooked this one.
At best you lose 1 silver and 1 bronze card to get 1 silver unit with no power gain.

And I agree that SK needs a silver card to get back the stolen units. Hard counters to particular decks make the game unfunny to play.

Last edited:
Can't believe they nerf all SK archetypes to ground and don't give any compensation to protect the graveyards.
Restore is the worst silver card in the game and the best way to fix it will be allow it to bring back a bronze unit from opponent graveyard and then strengthen the target .

The problem with restore is that you really lose a card for it, but if restore had a body, at least, you only loses the card advantage but not points. Like most spies now.

Top Bottom