Balancing the Coin Flip

+
Coin flip is too busted.. I am loosing coin flip like 6-7 games in a row constantly. My W/L ration got worsen a lot because of that.

Plus, blacklist doesnt work good either. So many times I mulligan a card, just to draw it in second round or off my card draw cards.

CDPR please fix these things..

Coinflip Suggestion

I dont know if this have been suggested in the past but what if after the mulligan screen , devs could implement a mini-game rock , paper , scrissors, sort of like mulligan screen with 3 choices ( rock, paper, scrissor )where you have 10 seconds or less to pick 1 , and the one who wins this wins the coinflip. If its draw do it again till one wins. I think thats a fair fix for coinflip where you have to play for the coin instead of fliping it. What do you guys think ?

Here's my idea for coinflip

Total Strength of the cards which you're holding after first mulligan. Who has most power on his/her hand, starts first.

Why
I think this is gwenty solution for this problem. Our big base power cards can be playable on first round. For example, Nilfgaardian Knight, Ves, Clan Warrior, Alpha Werewolf etc. Low strength cards usually requires some synergy with your other cards, or they're reactive cards, which you need to play after your opponent plays after a card.

This mechanic shapes your mulligan and card decisions.

What do you think about this?

mert41994;n10307572 said:
Total Strength of the cards which you're holding after first mulligan. Who has most power on his/her hand, starts first.

Why
I think this is gwenty solution for this problem. Our big base power cards can be playable on first round. For example, Nilfgaardian Knight, Ves, Clan Warrior, Alpha Werewolf etc. Low strength cards usually requires some synergy with your other cards, or they're reactive cards, which you need to play after your opponent plays after a card.

This mechanic shapes your mulligan and card decisions.

What do you think about this?

It's not a bad idea, far from it.
I'm not sure it would be all that relevant but quiet frankly, it won't be worst that leaving the coinflip unanswered, that's for sure.

I like the fact that it has very small impact on the game while still being something that could help.

Personally I was thinking of two things :

-The player going first gain some points (let's say 8 points for example) added to his total.
-Creating a rule saying that, if the player going first wins round one with minus 2 card advantage, he/she draws an additional card at the beginning of round 2.

GenLiu;n10307702 said:
Personally I was thinking of two things :
-The player going first gain some points (let's say 8 points for example) added to his total. -Creating a rule saying that, if the player going first wins round one with minus 2 card advantage, he/she draws an additional card at the beginning of round 2.

Getting more points is something. But in my opinion getting a card is unacceptable. Gwent is based on card advantage, synergies etc. This distrupts main mechanic for the game i think.

partci;n10307762 said:
This will benefit Control something fierce. And you don't want this.
I'm not sure about that. We love Gwent because we can control our chance. You know what is gonna be happen after playing a card. (Except Aguara True Form, Runestones etc. Even that you can foresee how much point you'll get minimum) If you run so many low point card, you probably lose against opponents tempo. If you run so many high power card, you have to start first. And this works only with your hand, you must think 2 times before mulligan for queue. If it was total value, you'll right.

mert41994;n10313212 said:
Getting more points is something. But in my opinion getting a card is unacceptable. Gwent is based on card advantage, synergies etc. This distrupts main mechanic for the game i think.
I know it might sound extreme but think about it, drawing card in Gwent is only a big deal when it creates card advantage, drawing to reduce the gap isn't OP at all.
Besides, going second already virtually give you card advantage (kind of out of nowhere). It's just a way of getting that card back.

Now of course, it requires some testing and maybe it will break the game but honestly, I don't think so.

Hello all. I went on a hiatus because the meta before I quit, was just bad. I see it's still bad in some areas but, that's not why I am here

I was just thinking about the coin flip situation while watching one of the Gwent Streamers on Twitch. There is a game I use to be ranked globally in called X-Wing The Miniatures

In X-Wing TMG you have access to all of your "units" right away. The limit is in the points. Instead of a bronze, silver, or gold system, each card has a point value assigned to it. So for example Poe Dameron is 33 points. The limit is 100 points. Whoever has the lowest points chooses to go first. They don't have to. They can always pass to their opponent. Their opponent can refuse to take the pass

I was thinking for Gwent something similar could be done. I was thinking of using highest strength but, then that would just be worse

So why not make it a pass system? Whoever wins the coin toss, can choose to pass to their opponent. Their opponent can refuse if they want to. Does that work?

Dreatlan;n10316412 said:
So why not make it a pass system? Whoever wins the coin toss, can choose to pass to their opponent. Their opponent can refuse if they want to. Does that work?

This has been suggested before and it doesn't work because, in this meta, no one wants to go first.

One true fix to Coin Flip

Firstly, my credentials as a player so you know I have some idea about Gwent. I have multiple R20 finishes. I play the game 1-2 hours a day. So as we know, coin flip heavily favors the second player.

The idea is very simple and yet complex enough where skill will still matter when and how to pass. Which in my opinion is the most skill intensive part of the game.

Instead of the current system the new system will work something like this:

The game will be split into rounds- one full round is when both players take action. At the end of the round it will show which player passed and if either player didn't pass then game goes to round 2 and so on and so forth. If both players passed then the round ends.

If during your turn you decide to pass, then you will still have to play a card.

For example, if you are the one that has to act first (meaning you lost coin flip), then click pass and play a card. Then the second player goes and he decides to not pass and plays a card. Then at the end of the round, the game will show that Player One (you) passed and Player Two (enemy) didn't pass so he goes into the next round in which he will be forced to take action.

The new system will be fairly balanced since you won't be able to get 2+ card advantage that easily.

Also, by not giving information about passing, you have a system where the game is fairly equal and fair.

The new coin flip fix will create decks that will want to go first, aka aggressive decks, but also Gwent will retain control decks.

Coinflip Solution

Hi guys,

I´ve played many round today, trying to get to rank 20 (finaly for a first time) and today I got myself three times into situation when I was starting a game and my opponent went second. I played my card, then he immediately responded with spie. Luckily I had summoning portal which I used but he had also summoning portal and as a small bonus, he was also Nilfgaard player so in his second round he played Emhyr into summoming portal and he returned my copied spy into his hand. Three times in one day... that really makes you hate the game (I still love it but I cant describe my feelings about it in polite way so I leave it to this).

My idea for loosing/winning coinflip is to disable option to play silver spies for card advantage in round 1. They should be cards only for round 2 or 3. And second thing - you removed silver spies from create ability of cards and they possibility to copy them with Summoming should be also removed.

Otherwise game is pretty good right now. In the beginning of Mid-Winter patch I was one of the haters and it is actualy not that bad. But new content should come quicker and we really need more things to do in game. But still I am enjoying the game right now (despite all broken Scoia and multi-Spies decks).

Giving Winner of Coinflip "extra" Mulligan

How about if the blue coin, were to receive an extra mulligan, in round 2 of the match. So blue coin would have 3,2,1 mulligans, while red coin would continue to have 3,1,1. Does anyone think that an extra mulligan would be enough of an advantage to counter the cost of going first?

7 str immune unit on the lost coin flip side? (with choice of category)

To me this is probably the simplest way to balance coin filp....7 point is not that high and not that low, immune makes it less vunlerable, and with choice of category it can synergize with your hand

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyserus;n10508502 said:
So what do you think about to get a 7 str immune unit on board if you go first? :hmm:

That would take a vote to decide from all the players. I'm not a high ranking player. Win or lose in GWENT doesn't bother me that much. It's not life or death.
I just want to see less BS in the game and make it more tactical intelligence based as opposed to what it currently is now. Any brainless idiot can get to rank 18 or so with a netdeck. that is not right.
If as you say, and many others say. the coinflip is crucial at times. Then some form of compensation HAS to be implemented. Whether that's a free card/unit or not remains to be seen.

Lyserus;n10508472 said:

To me this is probably the simplest way to balance coin flip...

It might be a simple solution, but it isn't balanced. Anyhow, this has been suggested quite a number of times before in one form or another (hence the merger). Fixing the coin flip isn't as easy as it seems.

Top Bottom