Balancing the Coin Flip

+
ArianeGrosmont;n9500621 said:
In what year are you playing gwent? :p

I'm just saying the assets exist. If they want to implement such a feature it would take them 5 minutes since the code is still there.

I agree that giving the first player an actual card to play even in form of a token will likely push the winrates in favour of the player going first. Just giving them points for round 2 would be better.

Then again i can find arguments for not having the points beeing added in round 2 like how abusive people will get with it. Could also be that there is no difference between power in round 1 or 2. CDPR should just go for it OR give the second player an additional mulligan that would also help a lot. Maybe also 2 mullingans round 1 and 1 round 2...

Iuliandrei;n9500941 said:
I'm just saying the assets exist. If they want to implement such a feature it would take them 5 minutes since the code is still there.

I know, but not all the open beta players do.
Faction ability? Weather immunity? What are you talking about? Next you'll tell me there was a time Dim. Bomb reset the entire board, but didn't touch golds... What have you been smoking, and may I please have some?

ArianeGrosmont;n9501481 said:
I know, but not all the open beta players do.
Faction ability? Weather immunity? What are you talking about? Next you'll tell me there was a time Dim. Bomb reset the entire board, but didn't touch golds... What have you been smoking, and may I please have some?

Just forget about it, you completely missed the point.

Just in case this topic is about to get out of hand: please remain civil and on topic. Thank you, and carry on!

[Suggestion] A piece of ballance for coinflip

It is not a secret that a huge piece of success depends on whether you are going to play first or second. Coinflip, as it is right now, is really an unfair disballance. So here is my suggestion on how it can be improved:
1. Person who plays first is getting all of his bronze and silver units in his hand buffed by 1 untill the end of the first round.
2. Before the game begins both players participate in a poll with a question 'Do you want to play first or last?' and two radiobutton for answers 'first' and 'last'.
3. If one player chooses 'first' and the other one chooses 'last' than "let it be so".
3.1 If both player chooses the same answer then random coinflip decides - just like it is right now. And so one of the player plays first but get a buff and the other one get a second move.

I can bet that with this improvement some new decks will be built and people would really prefer to have a buff rather than last move.

Suggestion about coin flip

A simple way to determine who goes first: Whoever has the biggest total deck power goes first. Of course this is the simplest way and maybe advantageous for control decks since special cards have no power value. However the method can be adapted in a more accurate way like this: Giving all the cards an effective power (lets call it EP in short) makes this concept more balanced. For example commander's horn is special card and has 0 power. Assign it 16 EP (but not 20 because it always cannot boost 5 units) and this value will be used calculating total deck EP. Philippa has 1 power but we know it can be a 16 points card. So give it 10 EP maybe since it always cannot get full damage. Give frost or fog maybe 7 EP etc. This mechanic can be worked in backround without revealing it to players. It also can be revealed to players so the game will have a different aspect and will become strategically deeper.

the premise i posted about got lost in the follow up.

it isn't just about trying to figure out the best way to counter the coin flip disadvantage.

attempting to get rid of the stigma of the coin flip is just as important. maybe moreso.

madenci;n9564171 said:
A simple way to determine who goes first: Whoever has the biggest total deck power goes first.

This is a really weird suggestion. Besides that it's impossible to tell how much power a deck has, there is also no reason to use this to determine who goes first.

Sounds really complicated; it would definitely mean a lot of extra work to give all cards an EP value.

It's certainly a fresh idea, but I have to agree with this:
4RM3D;n9569381 said:
there is also no reason to use this to determine who goes first.

Yeah, other and more logical idea is the one who finishes his mulligan first to decide who goes first. :listen:

I have a suggestion about coin flip regarding championships.

Since you usually add your opponent on GOG Galaxy and make a friendly match, add a feature in friendly match with 2 options (random coin flip to determine who goes first and predetermined player who goes first).

This way, 1st game would be random coin flip. Following games, whoever won the last game goes first. That would balance a little coin flip bad luck in championships.

GuardiAngel2;n9583281 said:
Following games, whoever won the last game goes first. That would balance a little coin flip bad luck in championships.
I like this idea especially in tournaments. Chess tournaments do that alot when possible (but they alternate colours instead of taking win/loss into consideration). But for this we need an in-game tournament mode.

On another surprising turn of events in this weekend Gwent Slam the stats were reversed (going first won 53% of games while going second won 47% of games)

A suggestion I had is that a small amount of points could be added when the first play of the game is made round 1. This discourages a dry pass, and subtly balances the drawback.

How about to give this power to person, who has more bronze cards in hand? Usually player with less gold/silver cards has disadvantage so it would be sweet to boost him a little bit.

I am really skeptical about this "giving-this-amount-of-points-to-whoever-goes-first" mechanic. I like the Spies idea way better, as I see them abused really hard lately. Like, Brouver can play a Spy and kill it with Eskel, NG are infamous with the synergy Cantarella brings with their lines and can even be positive points on the board at certain circumstances.

It's a way bigger issue to deal to me with, than the Coin Flip itself, cause the consequence of the CF can be multiplied by the Spy and be turned into a overkill in some decks.

Top Bottom