Balancing the Coin Flip

+
What if both players round one play a card at the same time and the highest total points on either side has the next play.

Mnorojo;n9498201 said:
No. It wouldnt be a token. That is too much of a variable. A token can be destroyed or buffed. It would instead be five points that would be added to the players score at the end of the round after both player passed and counted as part of the score for that round. If the second player passes right off this will prevent the first player from burning a card. But the second player can still play cards to force the first player to go through their deck. The five points will make it harder for them to win the first two rounds in a row. I think it will even the playing field some.

I´m quoting you just because it was the last post, but alot of people have talked about that same solution, this isn´t GO, we don´t have the same value in each card so that solution doesn´t work and for me doesn´t make sense, what they have to do imo is to have some kind of in-game tracking of how many times have you started or not in the last five games and from that generate a result for the person who starts, and in a draw in the win or lose(coin flip) ratio of each player in those 5 games then the 50/50 chance like normally is. Because if it continues like it is, some players are going to get penalized because they´re going to start more games then they´re going second, and we all know that it makes a diference in Gwent, maybe not so much in other games.

There use to be this place called Dueling Network. And what they did was they gave you three cards to choose from, they were rock, paper, scissors, and you chose one of the three cards and your opponent would choose one of the three cards. The person who chose the winning card you know rock beats scissors, scissor beats paper, chose who went first and who went second. I find that the simplest solution.

TheRedWatcher;n9658871 said:
There use to be this place called Dueling Network. And what they did was they gave you three cards to choose from, they were rock, paper, scissors, and you chose one of the three cards and your opponent would choose one of the three cards. The person who chose the winning card you know rock beats scissors, scissor beats paper, chose who went first and who went second. I find that the simplest solution.

There´s just a problem with that, it´s lower probability then the current system, current system 50/50, rock paper scissors 33% to get a win.

EazyR;n9658971 said:
There´s just a problem with that, it´s lower probability then the current system, current system 50/50, rock paper scissors 33% to get a win.

How so? If you're selecting the card yourself. It's a game of chance. It's a lot better than a coin flip. My deck is reactive, I like to go second to react. I hate when the coin flip makes me first. I am okay with my odds of not winning rock paper scissors, rather than a coin flip that makes me first.

TheRedWatcher;n9658991 said:
How so? If you're selecting the card yourself. It's a game of chance. It's a lot better than a coin flip. My deck is reactive, I like to go second to react. I hate when the coin flip makes me first. I am okay with my odds of not winning rock paper scissors, rather than a coin flip that makes me first.

But the situation here is to be fair for everyone, i don´t like to start in Gwent also but if it´s something that happens on equal grounds to everyone then it´s fair the current system was suposed to be fair but in my own experience its not because i´ve had times that i started 15 games in a row ( yes i counted) and never had more than 4 going second (that i recall) . So something thats fair because you can say this is a game of luck, and it is, but when the winning percentage from who starts its around 30 to 40 percent then you have an issue.

How to balance coinflip:

Have both players summon a special card onto the board, then have this special card summon random units for both side of the board with 2 strength onto random rows, and deals 1 damage to units, with this, both players will need to avoid, and try to win the round. This makes for the focus not only on the opponent but what's going on, on your side of the board.

Also, make this special card immune to all removals, and so on, so forth.

Alternatively, do not make it immune.

Regards,
byExeplar

Last edited:
byExeplar;n9665751 said:
How to balance coinflip:

Have both players summon a special card onto the board, then have this special card summon random units for both side of the board with 2 strength onto random rows, and deals 1 damage to units, with this, both players will need to avoid, and try to win the round. This makes for the focus not only on the opponent but what's going on, on your side of the board.

Don´t get your proposition, could you elaborate a little bit better, what special card? what kind of units? and more important how long would this take?
Best of regards

EazyR;n9666421 said:
Don´t get your proposition, could you elaborate a little bit better, what special card? what kind of units? and more important how long would this take? Best of regards

Basically, summon Manticore Venom (Silver Card Special) onto the board, then have the Manticore Venom summon lots of Arachas (1 by 1) on both side of the board every 2 turns with 2 or 3 Strength onto random rows, and deals 1 damage to units, and while both players will need to avoid this problem when trying to win the first round.

Regards,
byExeplar

byExeplar;n9666491 said:
Basically, summon Manticore Venom (Silver Card Special) onto the board, then have the Manticore Venom summon lots of Arachas (1 by 1) on both side of the board every 2 turns with 2 or 3 Strength onto random rows, and deals 1 damage to units, and while both players will need to avoid this problem when trying to win the first round.

Regards,
byExeplar

So you´re proposing adding a new dificulty to an already dificult game, i can dig that but how does that fix the coin flip? you´re only adding dificulty to the game it doesn´t solve the problem with the coin flip.

By the way that would be great for a game mode :)

Best of regards

EazyR;n9666521 said:
So you´re proposing adding a new dificulty to an already dificult game, i can dig that but how does that fix the coin flip? you´re only adding dificulty to the game it doesn´t solve the problem with the coin flip.
By the way that would be great for a game mode
Best of regards

Well, I never thought of it like that, true it doesn't really solve the coin flip issue but worth a try. And too I like what you have suggested to do a game mode in Gwent with the idea I suggested, could work and may be fun to have a play around. :)

Regards,
byExeplar

Coinflip Suggestion

Hi guys , as you know conflip most important in gwent. My Suggestion ;

1 - Who lost coinflip and win r1 with -2 > Card advantage, (mostly) , draw +1 card..
  • Opponent can't pass easily. ( even if with 2 CA )
  • No more problem with spy CA from opponent (R1) . ( already lost coinflip )
  • Its works only R1
  • İts works only -2 CA. (or -3 )
İ think this solution is will be fair.

kaanakyuz;n9668231 said:
İ think this solution is will be fair.

This will not cover all the issues with going first during the coin flip. You can't always win the first round. And when you lose, the opponent can still dry pass in the 2nd round or play an agent for CA. This part of the problem isn't fixed.

4RM3D;n9669071 said:
This will not cover all the issues with going first during the coin flip. You can't always win the first round. And when you lose, the opponent can still dry pass in the 2nd round or play an agent for CA. This part of the problem isn't fixed.

you are right for lose , but important of part coinflip especially first round , sample: lose coinflip vs woodland, henselt vs , powerful starts , or agent.. and we can't play card..
because already lose 2 card disavantage.. this type , we can play a card.. and opponent can't pass easily..
i think this solution helps %60-70

İf we lose , there is nothing to do :)

How to solve the Coin Flip issue Take 2:

1. Give each player an extra hand slot beside the Leader Card, or have the slot in a form of small 1-2 boxes (as seen in the image) beside it.
2. This extra slot will be a Special Card that is Greater Mutagen, and each resembling different faction colour (Blue, Green, Red, Black, and Purple).
3. The player that loses the round from when each player goes first, or second, then going onto the next round, Greater Mutagen will trigger from your hand, and will reward an alchemy potion from your deck, but increases the power of it by 2, while boosting your deck by 1.

4. The player that wins from when each player goes second, or first, then going onto the next round, Greater Mutagen will trigger from your hand, and will reward an alchemy potion from your deck, but increases the power of it by 1, while boosting your deck by 1.

Regards,
byExeplar

Attachments

• Or have the Greater Mutagen in a form of 1-2 boxes beneath the leader card.png
    Or have the Greater Mutagen in a form of 1-2 boxes beneath the leader card.png
    436.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Hello!

I have a suggestion for balancing coin flip.

The player who starts gets an extra card which does nothing but has 3 or 4 points of strength.
The tricky part is he can use it only in round 1 and not as a starting move.

There's few possibilities i can think of using such a blank card
-preventing pass after high value plays
-extra value for weather effects
-reacting to winner condition (leaving your best card for the last turn)
-waiting move

It seems in many situation player 1 could get that indirect 0.5 card value and it prevents going down 2 cards after huge point swings.

What do you think about it?

Regards,
Artur.

To me, the easiest way to solve coin flip

Give first unit played an immunity effect for 1 turn, and if first goer lost the first round with 1 card less than opponent, draw a card

Coin flip Suggestion Take 3.

First Round:

If a player goes first, then starts with 5 score points.

If a player goes second, then starts with 3 score points.

Second Round:

If a player that went second, then starts with 5 score points.

If a player that went first, then starts with 3 score points.

Third, and Last Round:

If both players won first and second round each, then starts with 3 score points each.

However, this too, requires spies that disrupts the coin flip by reversing the order to having, as followed:

Make them 11 Strength, same ability to see 2 cards, and the rest in full detail below:

Yaevinn | Disloyal | Silver | 11 Strength

See 1 Unit, 1 Special, shuffle the other back into the deck, then strengthen all allies on your side of the board by 1.

Frightener | Disloyal | Silver | 11 Strength

See 2 Units, shuffle the other back into the deck, then move an enemy on a different row to this row.

Thaler | Disloyal | Silver | 11 Strength

See 2 Units, shuffle the other back into the deck, then spawn a 3 strength Dea to a random row on your side of the board.

Cantarella | Disloyal | Silver | 11 Strength

See 2 Units, shuffle the other back into the deck, then weaken self by 4

Udalryk | Disloyal | Silver | 11 Strength

See 2 Units, shuffle the other back into the deck, then discard a Bronze unit from your deck.

Regards,
byExeplar

Last edited:
*Coin Flip Solution: Solved.*

Rework
of Nilfgaard's Silver Card?

Treason | Neutral | Silver

At the start of the round, if you lose coin flip, play this card from your hand, then choose a card from your deck, and draw to your hand, but if you win coin flip, then repeatedly the coin flips until you lose, while this card is in your hand.

Regards,
byExeplar

Last edited:
Top Bottom