Balancing the Coin Flip

+
Mystikast;n9201711 said:
Whoever goes first is it a huge disadvantage.

Not really and this is why so hard to balance it.
In some matches going first pretty much wins you the game. Imagine discard skellige mirror, whoever puts down the first ship takes the round uncontested.

Going first is not a disadvantage if you want to go first. All we really need to have right now to make this less of a problem for some is to do coin flip before mulligan.

Last edited:
I think they could replace the coin flip (since it's random as hell), for something like a mini-game animation of .... rock-paper-scissors ! This way, whoever wins this mini-game (just one try/attempt allowed), gains the right to chose to be first or not ..... could sounds stupidity childish on theory, but could work out better than this current annoying coin flip system in Gwent ....

To be honest I'd like them to add new coin toss animation, I've never played PC Gwent but currently on PS4 Gwent the coin toss always looks like this:
either:

Coin starts red: then it flips, flips over twice and lands on red.
or
Coin starts blue: then it flips, flips over twice and lands on blue.

You already know who's going first before the coin is even tossed.

i think they can make it like football. In football the team that wins the coin flip decide if they want the ball or to choose the goal side . They can make a similar Concept in gwent.

Skryba86;n9208331 said:
You do know before the flip, but the coin only turns red or blue after you mulligan, so it's fine.

I know it's fair gameplay wise, but it defeats the purpose of a "coin toss" if you already know who's going first before the coin get's tossed.

I want to feel that anticipation, if post-mulligan my hand is full of cards that deal damage and weather effects I'd like to go second, in fact, for a brief 2 seconds while the coin would be in mid-air I would say to myself "pleasegosecond pleasegosecond pleasegosecond... YES", all of that is gone, there's no excitement.

All I'm saying is that a couple of new animations would be nice, there's only two animations so far.

Michelazz;n9208401 said:
i think they can make it like football. In football the team that wins the coin flip decide if they want the ball or to choose the goal side . They can make a similar Concept in gwent.

It wouldn't solve the problem unfortunately. The player who goes first will be at a disadvantage whether he/she decides it or not.

Maybe if the player who goes first starts with a few points to begin with (5 sounds about right to me) so the "card disadvantage" would be compensated by a tempo advantage.

Last edited:
Aren't we in danger of making the coin flip unbalanced the opposite way, i.e people being at an advantage by going first? If some of the suggestions here were to happen like buffed cards, shields, delayed deploy abilities i think its as unfair as the current situation.
My idea is to make the first move of each player one where you can't interact with the opposite side of the board, like setting up your own defence before the battle begins.

KatieM95;n9209131 said:
Aren't we in danger of making the coin flip unbalanced the opposite way, i.e people being at an advantage by going first? If some of the suggestions here were to happen like buffed cards, shields, delayed deploy abilities i think its as unfair as the current situation.
My idea is to make the first move of each player one where you can't interact with the opposite side of the board, like setting up your own defence before the battle begins.

Initiator tagged cards are more easily balanced than just balancing the coinflip itself. And not being able to interact with the board makes a lot of cards diminished or even useless first turn for both sides and that's not fun. Initiator tag ADDS strategy, while not able to interact REMOVES it.

burek18;n9201431 said:
So what the initiator tag does, is it adds something extra to the card if it gets played on an empty board (both sides of the board have no units). For example:

I do love this idea!

I was thinking about the initiators and came up with a different idea. Each leader gets the initiator ability, that is, whoever gets to go first gets an extra leader ability that can be played at any time during the match. Each leader gets its own initiator ability. These abilities get played together with a card from hand, so you'd trigger them together with any card that you play if you so choose.

For example: Eithne could play any unit as an ambush unit. Damage units flip and deploy on a pass, buffing units deploy on being played (but don't flip until the pass). This could protect said unit from things like mardroemes, scorches, etc. Can also be used against Gravehag.

Francessca being the powerful sorceress that she is, may choose to block and revert any spell played by the opponent.

Emhyr could draw both players a card and so on and so forth. These are just suggestion off the top of my head and are not in any way thought out with balance in mind.

Last edited:
I think the coin flip is actually most serious issue of Gwent. Whoever goes first is it a huge disadvantage, so... What if the player who wins coin flip draws one more special card.
The card is not include in player's deck and it has to be played immediately after draw. The card spawns a bronze, agile unit without any other ability with 4 or 5 combat value.
It could be some kind of banner or something.

What you think?

pastuszkarobert;n9224191 said:
I think the coin flip is actually most serious issue of Gwent. Whoever goes first is it a huge disadvantage, so... What if the player who wins coin flip draws one more special card.
The card is not include in player's deck and it has to be played immediately after draw. The card spawns a bronze, agile unit without any other ability with 4 or 5 combat value.
It could be some kind of banner or something.

What you think?

Any solution that gives card advantage is a poor one and it creates the opposite problem of what we're trying to fix, because now the person going first is at a big advantage.

In fact this solution dont gives a card advantage per se. Player who wins coin flip just spawn a unit on his side and immediately ends turn.

l_WHIT3WOLF_l;n9224261 said:
I will suggest to add shield [ queen ] to card whoever goes 1st.

Won't change much. You'd need to buff this first card a lot more than just +2 and a shield. Probably something like +6 to make a difference without giving too much.

I'm still more in favor of spawning a unit at the start. But I don't think there's an ideal solution. There's always going to be a downside I guess.

pastuszkarobert;n9224561 said:
In fact this solution dont gives a card advantage per se. Player who wins coin flip just spawn a unit on his side and immediately ends turn.

But going second now is at the same disadvantage as going first before. Nay, a bigger one, since you'll have free points on the board for winning something you have no control over.

You know, it's a sort of a blessing to be SK or reveal NG and start first with Savage Bear or Mangonel. Especially if your opponent does not have Alzur's Thunder or other removal card like that. Now imagine they drop that said Unit with +2 STR and/or a Shield. WTF?

Than you have Decks that is way better for them to play second - Radovid Control with Adepts, for example, cause if you go second you know where to drop this Frost with some Units on this row now, etc, etc.

Also, losing the Coin Flip is really situational. I read somewhere above a suggestion, the guy that starts first to have 1 more extra mulligan for the next round. This actually sounds actually reasonable and it's the best suggestion on the topic that I've seen so far. Will also help the ST Mulligan mechanic and it does, indeed, need a lot of help right now. But will it be fair to the other Factions?

There is no "right" solution here. But to Mulligan a second card between the first two Rounds seems fair to me.

Hmmm... you are right.
And what if the first player spawns a unit and THEN plays a card from his hand?
Even if the second player plays removal or lock, the first player should has a point advantage.

Top Bottom