Poll: Quen sign card, is it weak?

+

• Total voters

For a card that buffs copies by 2 and meant to protect I feel that it is very weak and susceptible to a range of cards except for direct attacks. It is very rarely seen since I started playing gwent and I am considering dropping it from my deck since it really doesn't shield from a majority of the hostile cards this game has.

Comment below your thoughts on the card and what can be done, please vote so we can get a general idea of the community's thoughts on the card.

Yes it is weak since it can't even do what it is supposed to, like you know block scorch or bait sub optimal lacerate to be able to scorch it.

It's weak yes, but how to buff it without making it too strong though? Blocking scorch would make it maybe a bit too strong.

Why would it be too strong ? also how is eliminating 5 units at once because they happen to have same str in any shape or form balanced ?

I think the issue with Quen is it gets overshadowed by the alternatives, namely Tbolt and Iboost. Tbolt gives far more point value and, for the purposes of mitigating damage, Iboost is far more effective. Of course, even with the conditions needed to maximize Tbolt and Iboost they're arguably overtuned. About the only advantage Quen has is it goes to units in the hand deck, which is often not all that helpful.

Honestly I feel the best option would be to change it to be a silver that negates the first effect that effects the card. Movement, Damage, Resets, etc. Unfortunately it would be very strong in decks that mainly rely on a single card, Spellitel/Queensguard/DamageSkellige/Revealgard

Dyllusional;n9152660 said:
Honestly I feel the best option would be to change it to be a silver that negates the first effect that effects the card. Movement, Damage, Resets, etc. Unfortunately it would be very strong in decks that mainly rely on a single card, Spellitel/Queensguard/DamageSkellige/Revealgard

I would insist reset being viable through Quen as it does now. Sure you can shield and buff a couple of 17+ unit but reasonable counter should be at least available.

It's not a very good card but it's not that bad either. If you're using it on a trio you get +6 buff and each unit is protected against one damaging effect. So you can get around 9 value from that card, sometimes more - which would be okayish for a bronze like that.

Then again if you compare it with Immune Boost you could definitely let Quen buff +3 instead of +2. Just don't think it would be a good idea to make the shield protection any stronger.

my idea on it to balance a little more vs scorch, give 1 card that has the effect a +1 power boost more than others. or maybe stagger the boost in some way. like if effect on 3 cards, get +6 total, but in 3,2,1 increments. think of something similar for other card totals too.

to compensate for card description, just say power boost depending on number of cards effected.

maybe +1 (or something in that range) in armor too?

Quen sign can be a bit strong when it is played in a round to be lost or in a round which cannot be passed but one in which a player is ahead by a significant margin, as all the points are carried over to the next round. Currently the card is not used much, but if used well, it unconditionally transfer 6 points from 1 round to the other (e.g. when used on Temerian Infantryman). The added shield is just a bonus. The card would see much more play if it would be transferring 9 points, 3x3, instead of 6. But unconditional transfer of 9 points to the next round is a bit too much for a bronze card, so we have 6 points + rather useless shield. Balanced, even if not used in too many decks at the moment.

Edit: in certain decks with operator which adds extra copy of a card, it is 8 points, which is I guess as much as one can allow without making the card unbalanced.

It's currently in my ST deck, I like to use it against factions that tend to eliminate my resilient units.

When the opponent starts, I boost my mahakam guards with quen then pass, start the second round with 2 CA. Buffing up well-protected mahakam guards wins me round 2 and 3. All thanks to quen.
Against faction that do not tend to hit my resilient units hard I usually mulligan quen. Does that make it a bad card? I do not think so. It's perhaps a bit more situational than other cards, but not too situational to be considered bad. Though if you'd want to improve it, you could arguably change the buff to +3.

devivre;n9153530 said:
Then again if you compare it with Immune Boost you could definitely let Quen buff +3 instead of +2. Just don't think it would be a good idea to make the shield protection any stronger.

Yes, well-worded. Both would provide +3 boost. IB would give 3 shield, whereas quen would give a variable amount of shield. In case of alzur's thunder, it could be 7 shield, whereas with other cards it could also be 1. This way it would be slightly worse than IB (imo), but that would be offset by the fact that you can play quen on cards in your hand, not requiring any lining up of units.

Last edited:
Top Bottom