Tournament Mode

+
Tournament Mode

My words about in game tournaments were interest to CDPR in “Ask a Dev”, so I think about how to make it in game.

When you play ladder it’s not a competition, it’s grind imho. So I want something new that can give me a chance to feel competitive.

First, why tournaments are good. Because of adrenalin in games, when losing will end your tournament road. Because of competitive spirit when you fight for big prize. In addition, emotions when you playing on some currency which u pay for entering tournament.
All that emotions I’ve feel playing Poker tournaments in poker rooms. I think Gwent can take its place somewhere near. However, it need a very comfortable tool for players.

I know that good tournament system it is a hard work to do. It must contain ingame tournament grid, comfortable lobbies, tools for commentators and viewers, pick\ban system for players and a lot more. However, for now, we have nothing so need to start with simple things.

To input tournaments in game I propose start with the simplest type of tournaments 32 players single elimination. Tournaments must be administrated by CDPR to see all problems, that be sure will come (later administrating goes to people who wanna make there own tournaments with invites, cash prizes e.t.c.). Must be a 4-5 tournaments that starts every day, for players who wanna take part in it. In tournaments can take part only players who have 10 rank, so they will understand what they can meet in tournament. After time for high ranks can be started more valuable tournaments.

Players by choosing tournament mode goes to screen where they can choose in which tournament they want to take part. After choosing one, they pay entrance fee (1 Keg). And screen of tournament mode changes to tournament grid (one player can take part only in one tournament).

Grid will contain a full tournament grid, and players games will light for easy finding. After clicking his current game player pull invite for his opponent (I think CDPR can reuse realization of friend game, later of course it must be enter to a lobby).

In future top tournaments must be a pick ban system, but its really unfriendly for new players which have one or two good decks. From the other side one game in single elimination its to cruel for card game which always have part of random. Therefore, I propose best of three series, when opponents can pick any deck. It will be good for experienced players (can play decks which more suitable to opponent) and for novices (can play one good deck all games). Time between games, when opponents choose next decks must be limited to 2 minutes.

32 players are not random number. Its 6 games by tournament maximum. Cause best of three, for one game players will spend near hour. In addition, it’s hard to play more than 3 such games in a day. Therefore, I propose to make game time hard link to time, which split for two days. For example 1/32 – 01.01.2017 6:00 pm, 1/16 – 01.01.2017 7:00 pm, 1/8 – 01.01.2017 8:00 pm, 1/4 – 01.02.2017 6:00 pm, 1/2 – 01.02.2017 7:00 pm, final - 01.02.2017 8:00 pm.

Prizes it’s what CDPR can think about. Can be the same that entrance fee (32 Kegs split between top places), can be more for advertising tournaments, or lower to earn money (Kegs its currency).

I'd like to see something that is like a "Tournament" but a bit more beginner- and casual-friendly.
it would look like this:

- on the Main screen, you can always Enter a Tournament (as an alternate for Ranked etc).
- one instance of a Tournament waits until X players enter, then it automatically starts. The next player to enter a Tournament automatically starts the queue for the next instance of a tournament. there can be any number of Tournaments going on at the same time. a user can only be in one instance of a Tournament at the same time.
- an instance assigns the players into Swiss pairs. while you are logged in to the game and your assigned opponent is also online, you see an alert that you can now play your Tournament match, which can start at the click of a button. If you play a match, a winner is revealed, this instance of the Tournament records it and proceeds accordingly. if a pair don't play their match until the end of a time limit (one day per round or so), one of them is automatically a winner (the one who was online more during this time period? or the one who clicked the "play tournament round now" button if the other one refused? idk).
- if you lose, you can immediately queue for another tournament. if you win, you have to wait for the next round (next day), when another opponent is assigned to you. you also have a day to play this round with your opponent.
- after 5-6 swiss rounds, a winner emerges, that player gets some reward. perhaps 2nd, 3rd place etc too.
and so on.
or something like that!

I'd support a "loser is eliminated" 8-man tournament
Costs 150 ore:
0-1 gets nothing
1-1 gets 1 keg
2-1 gets 2 kegs
3-0 gets 3 kegs, 100 scraps, 100 meteorite powder.

scorba;n9205831 said:
- on the Main screen, you can always Enter a Tournament (as an alternate for Ranked etc).
that exactly what I mean, thx

scorba;n9205831 said:
- one instance of a Tournament waits until X players enter, then it automatically starts. The next player to enter a Tournament automatically starts the queue for the next instance of a tournament. there can be any number of Tournaments going on at the same time. a user can only be in one instance of a Tournament at the same time.
- an instance assigns the players into Swiss pairs. while you are logged in to the game and your assigned opponent is also online, you see an alert that you can now play your Tournament match, which can start at the click of a button. If you play a match, a winner is revealed, this instance of the Tournament records it and proceeds accordingly. if a pair don't play their match until the end of a time limit (one day per round or so), one of them is automatically a winner (the one who was online more during this time period? or the one who clicked the "play tournament round now" button if the other one refused? idk).
For the first time will be too many problems with people who dont accept invite, or both players enter the game in different time and then leave dont wait for an opponent. Thats why I propose schedule with time. If one of players come to time, the other is not - first player have techwin. The simpliest rules are realy good for start.

And Swiss pair is to similar with ladder, no adrenalin when you relegate by lose. And alot of exploits mechanics with linked players in one tournament.

4RM3D;n9208921 said:
That would be too punishing. The player should always get at least one keg for the entree fee of 150 ore.
Prizes it what about CDPR must think about :)

For new players CDPR can make tournament which limited from above. May be tournaments for players who dont have 10 lvl. But it will be a heaven for low lvl donaters, what can be unfriendly for new players.

So, i think tournaments are for players who have some expirience in game.

Borey9;n9209361 said:
Thats why I propose schedule with time.

yeah I understand it would be better, but really, I'm too old to be in front of the PC at a specific time. I play when I have the time, it's very random. I sure won't arrange the rest of my life around a game. the days of WoW Raids are long gone for me! that said, I'd like to have something like a tournament in the game. but maybe just a different play mode would be OK.

scorba;n9209511 said:
yeah I understand it would be better, but really, I'm too old to be in front of the PC at a specific time. I play when I have the time, it's very random. I sure won't arrange the rest of my life around a game. the days of WoW Raids are long gone for me! that said, I'd like to have something like a tournament in the game. but maybe just a different play mode would be OK.

WOW raids... I was really young then :)

Now i have work and family and specific time will help me take time for game. I can do not enter game for a few days, but if I want take part in tournament I can build my days to free time for it.

My idea is just to make new interesting mode in game. But nuances are discribed for my needs :)

Last edited:
Please do this, tournaments would be great most unofficial tournaments that I do see being done is on saturday when I usually work

Interesting CDPR view on that mode. Will we see some thing like that in near future? Or its for far future? Or its not worth it? :)

Tournament Play should have Tournament Cards, or limited decks. Many CCGs have them, like MTG. Tournaments can be themed or have requirements as well to encourage different strategies or play.

So I was watching a stream with someone making a new account and working from there. Reminded me of the booster pack tournaments in MTG. Something similar would be cool.

rogeriofi;n9278771 said:
We don't even get new cards in a good fashion (timewise), imagine new modes...you can all forget it.

Be patient, its beta. If you want formed game to play, you need to play only released games.

Top Bottom