Changes to Skellige Cards

+
Changes to Skellige Cards

Here are some changes I'd like to see on some Skellige cards:
  1. Clan Brokvar Archers having the veteran tag.
  2. Clan Tordarroch Armorsmith having the deploy ability of giving 2 armor to itself and 4 armor to two units to the left.
  3. Clan Tordarroch Shieldsmith strengthening and boosting by 2.
  4. Berserker Marauder ability changed to; Retaliation: whenever this unit is damaged, damage an enemy unit by 2.
  5. Clan an Craite Warriors having 3 armor.
  6. Wild Boar of the Sea strengthening itself by 1 every turn, at the start of your turn. Rest of the ability would stay the same.
  7. Djenge Frett damaging 3 Units by 1 (instead of Allies) and strengthening himself by 2 for each.
  8. Champions of Champions having the retaliation tag of: whenever this unit is damaged, strengthen self by 3.
  9. Skjall having the deploy ability of boosting himself by 1 for every unit in your deck. The rest of his ability would stay the same.
  10. Morkvarg being agile, meaning he'll spawn on random rows whenever he's resurrected.
  11. Restore boosting the resurrected card by the discarded card's base strength.
  12. Coral's base strength decreasing to 2 or possibly 1.
  13. Vabjorn damaging an enemy unit by an extra point whenever they're damaged by a loyal unit.
  14. Harald the Cripple's deployment ability not stopping whenever you don't kill a unit. Instead have the option to stop in order to not destroy your own units.
I'd really like to see CDPR introduce more units for Skellige with the Retaliation tag since I think they're the only faction that can damage themselves. That's a topic for another day.

Last edited:
OG.laloquaint;n9322281 said:
  1. Coral's base strength decreasing to 2 or possibly 1.

Eh, aren't you forgetting something here...? Because of Merigold's Hailstorm, your suggestion won't work.

4RM3D;n9322481 said:
Eh, aren't you forgetting something here...? Because of Merigold's Hailstorm, your suggestion won't work.

Totally forgot about that card honestly. I never see anyone use it anymore.

OG.laloquaint;n9322281 said:
Here are some changes I'd like to see on some Skellige cards:
  1. Clan Brokvar Archers having the veteran tag.
  2. Clan Tordarroch Armorsmith having the deploy ability of giving 2 armor to itself and 4 armor to two units to the left.
  3. Clan Tordarroch Shieldsmith strengthening and boosting by 2.
  4. Berserker Marauder ability changed to; Retaliation: whenever this unit is damaged, damage an enemy unit by 2.
  5. Clan an Craite Warriors having 3 armor.
  6. Wild Boar of the Sea strengthening itself by 1 every turn, at the start of your turn. Rest of the ability would stay the same.
  7. Djenge Frett damaging 3 Units by 1 (instead of Allies) and strengthening himself by 2 for each.
  8. Champions of Champions having the retaliation tag of: whenever this unit is damaged, strengthen self by 3.
  9. Skjall having the deploy ability of boosting himself by 1 for every unit in your deck. The rest of his ability would stay the same.
  10. Morkvarg being agile, meaning he'll spawn on random rows whenever he's resurrected.
  11. Restore boosting the resurrected card by the discarded card's base strength.
  12. Coral's base strength decreasing to 2 or possibly 1.
  13. Vabjorn damaging an enemy unit by an extra point whenever they're damaged by a loyal unit.
  14. Harald the Cripple's deployment ability not stopping whenever you don't kill a unit. Instead have the option to stop in order to not destroy your own units.
I'd really like to see CDPR introduce more units for Skellige with the Retaliation tag since I think they're the only faction that can damage themselves. That's a topic for another day.

Some interesting suggestions, here are my thoughts!

1. Don't Clan Brokvar Archers already have a veteran tag? Or do you want to get rid of it?
2. I actually really like the Armoursmiths ability to heal units currently, you can get some insane value with it if you have a play style that uses it properly.
3. Adding a boost to this unit might throw some plays out of the window, I'd rather they were weaker and strengthened by 3.
4. Love this! (Actually had this idea for an alghoul card as well but it would work so well in a Skellige deck.
5. Could be useful or could get in the way of some strategies, I can't see CDPR giving them more bulk than they already have to be honest.
6. I like this, but I could see Wild Boar maybe only getting that strength when it damages the unit to the right.
7. This would be nice as it would let you use him in multiple strategies, maybe you should be able to hit enemies but he only strengthens when you hit an Ally.
8. Nah he doesn't need it aha
9. Yah Skjall needs a change for sure, maybe if he boosted for every ally damaged like a reverse axeman?
10. Again probably doesn't need it
11. Interesting!! Or strengthen by half their base strength? A boost would mess with a card like Jutta for example.
12. What 4RM3D said :)
13. I think I get what you're saying, so every time one of your units damages an enemy, Vabjorn chimes in with an extra 1 point of damage? Would this replace his current ability?
14. Or maybe if it was targeted at an ally they are boosted instead? But only gives you 4,3,2,1 to balance it. Harald with 5 base strength.

4RM3D;n9322481 said:

Then reduce coral to 4 like igni

Cabowse;n9323031 said:
1. Don't Clan Brokvar Archers already have a veteran tag? Or do you want to get rid of it?

- Yeah my suggestion makes no sense since they have the Regressing tag. So never mind that lol!

3. Adding a boost to this unit might throw some plays out of the window, I'd rather they were weaker and strengthened by 3.

- That might be better actually.

4. Love this! (Actually had this idea for an alghoul card as well but it would work so well in a Skellige deck.

- Thanks fam.

5. Could be useful or could get in the way of some strategies, I can't see CDPR giving them more bulk than they already have to be honest.

- I should have been more clear, I meant for that card to like damage itself by 1 first THEN gain armor. Oops.

6. I like this, but I could see Wild Boar maybe only getting that strength when it damages the unit to the right.

- Oh yeah that's better.

7. This would be nice as it would let you use him in multiple strategies, maybe you should be able to hit enemies but he only strengthens when you hit an Ally.

- Hm sure, I like that.

9. Yah Skjall needs a change for sure, maybe if he boosted for every ally damaged like a reverse axeman?

- He's a really weird unit honestly. I had a hard time coming up with something.

11. Interesting!! Or strengthen by half their base strength? A boost would mess with a card like Jutta for example.

- Ooh yeah, guess it wouldn't really work with Warcry cards.

13. I think I get what you're saying, so every time one of your units damages an enemy, Vabjorn chimes in with an extra 1 point of damage? Would this replace his current ability?

- Yes hehe.

14. Or maybe if it was targeted at an ally they are boosted instead? But only gives you 4,3,2,1 to balance it. Harald with 5 base strength.

- Hmmm that'd be kinda cool, but what if you want to destroy a Spectral Whale or a Cow Carcass? I mean not that Skellige doesn't have a million ways to deal with that. So that's probably better.

You know I kinda tired of seeing nerfs that aren't valid, Coral base strength is irrelevant to her ability and honestly SK silver are too good to run hailstorm to begin with (Sigdrifa, decoy, Donar, Johnny, Spy and mage) so even Coral is Spy body I think she will still be used or they switch to igni. Try tweak the ability rather than base power reduction, people don't run her because of her body. We already see C harpy experienced 2 invalid nerf while Tibor hit hard as people run Tibor for his 25 body.

I appreciate you want to make more cards viable to add variety in deck, can't agree more on that.

My tweak would be revive can no longer target machine and cursed unit.

the coral nerf by 1 or 2 strength is no laughing matter.
think of it like the nerf to peter or ithena , YES they are still strong but the small strength nerf did effect the cards power level play rate.

I like ponts 2, 3, 4, 8, 13, 14 from OP, and here are some of my suggestions on some SK cards:

Lots of other factions have retaliation ability, while SK have none, so having retaliation on at least 1 useless bronze card and one on the silver Champions of Champions won't be op or harmful in any way.

I wish there were changes to SK archers, i wonder why they cannot stack their shots on a single target? why i must shot back my own units if opponent for example moved only one card on the deck? why i can't use an archer to beat down armor by 3 on a single target? It's so annoying, the card lacks versatility and pretty arrogant to use.

The same applies to shieldmaidens if i killed an enemy during their chain and the last one have nobody to shoot i'm forced to attack my own men. But why i just can't cancel the last shot? Plus it's pretty weak card now previously shieldmaidens were veterans and were growing in power, but now after they deal their burst of 15 points they are laying in the graveyard and there is no point to rewive a single one ever. Why not to add them ability to increase their attack by 1 on each round? This will increase the interest to revive/trigger their chain later and not just throw them away.

Pirates are boring card - their only purpose is to buff the captains, it's sad that after first turn when you throw them away you are forgetting about them completely. But why they can't bite 2 random enemies ignoring armor by 1-2 when they are moving to graveyard or upon death? This may trigger an opening to shieldmaidens, kill some weakened enemies and add some element of surprize, еhey are the pirates, a tricky ones i suppose, so this mechanics could supplement their spirit and increase their value to be rewived.

Healer is another boring card, i wish the devs made him more interesting, for example he could heal damaged units + buff them by 1 during next 2 turns, this could bring some funny moments when the round ends on a draw for example while the other player forgot about this slight thing). Right now i don't see any good place for Healer in the deck, the Skald is better in 99% of the cases.

Djenge Frett could attack any targets both enemies and allies for each hit on a regular target he can buff himself as it is now, for hitting armored units he can steal their armor 1 point per their 1 point and put it on himself.

I hope you will understand, my engrish isn't that good)

777decapitator777;n9332741 said:
I like ponts 2, 3, 4, 8, 13, 14 from OP, and here are some of my suggestions on some SK cards:

Lots of other factions have retaliation ability, while SK have none, so having retaliation on at least 1 useless bronze card and one on the silver Champions of Champions won't be op or harmful in any way.

I wish there were changes to SK archers, i wonder why they cannot stack their shots on a single target? why i must shot back my own units if opponent for example moved only one card on the deck? why i can't use an archer to beat down armor by 3 on a single target? It's so annoying, the card lacks versatility and pretty arrogant to use.

The same applies to shieldmaidens if i killed an enemy during their chain and the last one have nobody to shoot i'm forced to attack my own men. But why i just can't cancel the last shot? Plus it's pretty weak card now previously shieldmaidens were veterans and were growing in power, but now after they deal their burst of 15 points they are laying in the graveyard and there is no point to rewive a single one ever. Why not to add them ability to increase their attack by 1 on each round? This will increase the interest to revive/trigger their chain later and not just throw them away.

Pirates are boring card - their only purpose is to buff the captains, it's sad that after first turn when you throw them away you are forgetting about them completely. But why they can't bite 2 random enemies ignoring armor by 1-2 when they are moving to graveyard or upon death? This may trigger an opening to shieldmaidens, kill some weakened enemies and add some element of surprize, еhey are the pirates, a tricky ones i suppose, so this mechanics could supplement their spirit and increase their value to be rewived.

Healer is another boring card, i wish the devs made him more interesting, for example he could heal damaged units + buff them by 1 during next 2 turns, this could bring some funny moments when the round ends on a draw for example while the other player forgot about this slight thing). Right now i don't see any good place for Healer in the deck, the Skald is better in 99% of the cases.

Djenge Frett could attack any targets both enemies and allies for each hit on a regular target he can buff himself as it is now, for hitting armored units he can steal their armor 1 point per their 1 point and put it on himself.

I hope you will understand, my engrish isn't that good)

Thank you :)

Skellige does have a unit with the retaliation tag actually. It's that bronze unit that turns into a bear after its damaged.

I agree that they should be able to stack their shots but I like that they can damage themselves honestly.

Pirates are an extremely boring card. I don't know what other ability they could get though.

I think it'd be cool if Shieldmadens had the ability to revive another Shieldmaden from your graveyard but only if they kill a unit.

I think healers are fine.

That change to Djenge Frett would be interesting but I don't think he needs that. It won't work well with the Warcrier.

Your English is fine actually.

eternum_turlte;n9332381 said:
think of it like the nerf to peter or ithena , YES they are still strong but the small strength nerf did effect the cards power level play rate.

The nerfs to peter and ithlinne are almost irreverent to why they see less play now. They came in tandem with nerfs to the whole faction or archetype they were run in. Ithlinne is still run in dwarf decks, but spell ST is essentially dead now. Likewise with peter, he's still run in some NG decks, but the archetype he was run in was destroyed because of nerfs to other cards. The current NG variants out there that don't run peter do so because they have silvers that synergize better with what they want to do, or they're not running into a lot of single target buffing. One of the reasons peter was so good before the patch is because he was able to deal with the brigade's from other NG decks. If these two cards were just nerfed in a vacuum their play rates would have been almost unchanged.

OG.laloquaint;n9333131 said:
Thank you :)

Skellige does have a unit with the retaliation tag actually. It's that bronze unit that turns into a bear after its damaged.

I agree that they should be able to stack their shots but I like that they can damage themselves honestly.

Pirates are an extremely boring card. I don't know what other ability they could get though.

I think it'd be cool if Shieldmadens had the ability to revive another Shieldmaden from your graveyard but only if they kill a unit.

I think healers are fine.

That change to Djenge Frett would be interesting but I don't think he needs that. It won't work well with the Warcrier.

Your English is fine actually.

Oops) I forgot about bear) Thank you!

I think there is some good and less good ideas here.

For example it seems like you want the Shieldsmith to be buffed but he doesn't need to.
The fact that a card isn't played by the vast majority of peoples doesn't mean it's bad. Shieldsmith has always been a good card there is no reason to change it. And he doesn't know much play right now because peoples tend to prefer running discard QG but I'm still running the good old version and it works just fine.

I don't like the change on Armorsmith either. The problem with what you suggest is that it has litterally no synergy with any other card or game mechanic available in Skellige.
Plus, the AS is another card that is under rated imo. In the right deck they're great, sometimes even better than Warcriers (especially against control decks that will make sure your units remains as low as they can so your WC loses most of his value).

I don't think the change on Coral is necessary. She's great but not OP and there is some situation where she's not even that good. I feel like she's at the right spot.
Same thing about Wild board of the sea. This card doesn't need a buff imo. It's just fine the way it is.

I think Djenge Frett would be to strong if he could target the opponent's unit and still activate his effort effect, same thing for Champion of champion, except here I don't think, I'm 1OO% sure. Like holy molly, 3 str every time he gets damaged...He's not even regressing.
If I summarize you put a light longship next to this guy, after 5 turn that's a 2O str unit (base str) that can be resurected by any priestess of Freya...It's way too powerful.

With all that being said, I do like the change about Restore and Harald.

Restore could even strenghen the unit by a set value imo, you have to discard a card, that's a huge commitement but why not boosting it. That's a good idea.

About Harald, well, I think it's pretty much established that this leader needs a buff so, yes, fully agree with yours.
Maybe they just have to reduce the damage to 4, 3, 2, 1 for ballancing pruposes. but your idea is definitely the way they need to take if they want to make him viable.

eternum_turlte;n9332381 said:

A simple test, how many SK player would switch from Coral to igni or hailstorm because of that? I expect none, and making a 20-40 gold to 18-38 doesn't really make sense to me, I don't mind a 15-21 card though, which is already decent. Try not to ignore she is just a GOLD card not some game defining card.

GenLiu;n9334441 said:
I don't think the change on Coral is necessary. She's great but not OP and there is some situation where she's not even that good. I feel like she's at the right spot.

Again it is. And She is OP. In shorter round indeed she is not good but even in that situation she is better than igni. A high lower bound with unlimited upper bound, with expected gain of 20+ swing, I don't know what's not OP with her. Again simple test, will you switch Coral with Igni?

ResoundingBuahaha;n9334641 said:
Again it is. And She is OP. In shorter round indeed she is not good but even in that situation she is better than igni. A high lower bound with unlimited upper bound, with expected gain of 20+ swing, I don't know what's not OP with her. Again simple test, will you switch Coral with Igni?

Honestly, I wouldn't say I take Coral guaranteed depending on the direction the meta takes if I make a Skellige deck in the future but right now I wouldn't switch her for anything else, you have a point.

That being said, I do believe she's not OP. You can play around her even on long turns, it's not even that hard. In fact I feel like she's easier to play around than igni in some match up/situations.
Furthermore I think Coral, like Igni, is a necessary card for the game because she protects the meta for going too crazy in some directions. The game need this kind of card imo but I fully understand peoples who think she's OP and needs to be nerfed. It's just I hope they don't change the card's general idea because it's a clever one to have and definitely a card I don't want to see disappearing from the game.

Long story short, Coral is, imo, a very strong card but a healthy card for the game, as opposed to, for example, Woodland spirit, which is another very strong card but extremely unhealthy for the game because he guarantees too much points/body without having to set up anything and without implying any form of mind game (WS is a no brain play, you can't counter it and there is nothing to think about before and after he's played. He just bring too many things, a 5 str body + 3 bodies on the front row + 3 (or even more) on any other + a fog effect on the opposing row....like there is nothing that can solve that many problem at once in the game, as simple as that).

Last edited:
GenLiu;n9334441 said:
I think Djenge Frett would be to strong if he could target the opponent's unit and still activate his effort effect, same thing for Champion of champion, except here I don't think, I'm 1OO% sure. Like holy molly, 3 str every time he gets damaged...He's not even regressing.
If I summarize you put a light longship next to this guy, after 5 turn that's a 2O str unit (base str) that can be resurected by any priestess of Freya...It's way too powerful.

Somebody suggested that Djenge Frett should get strengthen ONLY when you damage your own units but still having the option to damage enemy units.

Champions of Champions can only be revived with Sigrdrifa, Restore and Necromancy though. Priestess of Freya can only revive bronze units. Think about it, CoC is 5 base strength if you damage it four times he'll be 18 strength once he enters the graveyard. Besides it's a silver card, it can be destroyed pretty easily. You could use a Katakan and all that strength would be gone, you could lock it before it gets too big.
or destroying it with Alzur's Thunder. Maybe 3 strength is a little too much but it can easily be countered.

OG.laloquaint;n9336261 said:
Somebody suggested that Djenge Frett should get strengthen ONLY when you damage your own units but still having the option to damage enemy units.

Champions of Champions can only be revived with Sigrdrifa, Restore and Necromancy though. Priestess of Freya can only revive bronze units. Think about it, CoC is 5 base strength if you damage it four times he'll be 18 strength once he enters the graveyard. Besides it's a silver card, it can be destroyed pretty easily. You could use a Katakan and all that strength would be gone, you could lock it before it gets too big.
or destroying it with Alzur's Thunder. Maybe 3 strength is a little too much but it can easily be countered.

Thx but I know that silvers can be only revived by Sigrdrifa or Restore XD
Still, I think it would be too powerful, even if you can counter it easily.
Ballancing a card doesn't only takes counters into account, you also have to gauge the punishement for letting it still because a lot of things happen in the course of a game and potentially every card can remind unchecked because you didn't have the right counter in hand, you don't run it or you absolutely need to keep it for another threat later in the game (for example, Scorch and the Reaver hunters).

3 str would be savage, especially considering the potential to deal damage with Skellige. Imagine this card next to Wild boar of the sea or a light longship and then you play Myrtabrake...CoC gains + 12 str in one turn....and it keeps going (I don't even mention how weather would feel bad with this guy on the board).
And this is just one example, this thing can get out of control too easily.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good idea in the first place but + 3 str per activation is just too much.

Last edited:
GenLiu;n9335241 said:
That being said, I do believe she's not OP. You can play around her even on long turns, it's not even that hard. In fact I feel like she's easier to play around than igni in some match up/situations.

How?

In a long round SK tends to have 80+ on the board (already kinda conservative) and for the opponent to win they have to have at least 81 on board (or deal enough damage?). Let's say even they spread units perfectly we have 27 on a row. Then the last Coral must be at least 14+5 swing, which is already beyond many gold card's cap value. Besides to distribute units like that opponent already give up some value in the process so even more difficult to catch up Skellige in the first place.

Many had claimed Coral being row stack tech but what I observe is that the only reason people use her is she consistently generating above the limit value in a fashion that no other gold card (including igni) can do so.

My idea is making her only target 3 adjacent units. In that way she is still decent with expected gain of 15-21 instead of ridiculous 20-32 swing (Obviously people are going for the highest units), without affecting her lower bound in short rounds. I expect people would criticize this being to harsh but honestly even with this nerf Coral is still a tier 1 gold card.

Would reduce things that can punish swarm decks further. Also with gold placement, you'd only hit two units a lot of the time.

Top Bottom