Ciri needs better ability

+
Ciri needs better ability

I don't think anyone with more than 4 gold card will use her.....

Here is the idea for buff Ciri:
Ciri - 5 - Immediately pass 2 1 turns on each side without anyone play cards (opponent-you-opponent-you)
(Edit: 2 turns on each side might be OP after discussion...however 1 turn should still be good I believe)
I believe this will make her one of the most strategic card :rly?:

The ability is based on her title: Lady of time and space, her ability simply "make time passes", while no one can play a card, all the auto-triggered effect like weather, catapult(abilities that with a count down in general) will still happened and calculate. Very dangerous for yourself or opponent based on the time you put it on the table

What do you guys think?:huh:

(If Alvin is gonna be in the gwent later this can also be his ability, because in game Alvin is more like "Knight of time" and Ciri more like "Lady of Space', but there is no news on that and Ciri needs to be buffed so...)
(Speaking of "Lady of Space", Ciri can alternatively have the reverse version of Foltest's ability, making her deadly to 1 health medic or other cards)

(PS:I'm not sure should I put this thread in general discussion or suggestion, modders please move as you see fit)

Last edited:
Yeah, a 5 power body that triggers at the end of the round would be near useless now. Heck, even before you had to be careful because of shackles.

I can presume that her Deatwish will be to return to your hand. At least this will be my logic.

partci;n9370121 said:
I can presume that her Deatwish will be to return to your hand. At least this will be my logic.

That would be far too strong. Don't expect it at all. Unless it were something like "if she's destroyed on your opponent's turn", like yencon's ability, otherwise it'd be very easy to abuse.

Am i the only one that think this idea is garbage? If anything because now you can play borkh as your second to last card R3, then ciri, then profit.
Borkh as a whole would have a terribly unhealthy interaction with this kind of ciri, since it basically become a timer 1 scorch on steroid.
Kambi would be another card that would be busted in a combo with this card.

DMaster2;n9375111 said:
Am i the only one that think this idea is garbage? If anything because now you can play borkh as your second to last card R3, then ciri, then profit.
Borkh as a whole would have a terribly unhealthy interaction with this kind of ciri, since it basically become a timer 1 scorch on steroid.
Kambi would be another card that would be busted in a combo with this card.

your mind is too limited, that's all.

Why not Ragh Nar Roog and then Ciri? why not northern catapults with Ciri? why not monster ice cold combine with Ciri? Or skellige boats chain?

Borkh is a high level time-bomb scorch, if all you wanted is to set it off immeditely why not just use scorch??
Kambi is a hard card to play, for me it's just a mess around card for you to use in forfeit R2, why does it have any major use combine with the Ciri ability I designed?

Lyserus;n9375671 said:
your mind is too limited, that's all.

Why not Ragh Nar Roog and then Ciri? why not northern catapults with Ciri? why not monster ice cold combine with Ciri? Or skellige boats chain?

Borkh is a high level time-bomb scorch, if all you wanted is to set it off immeditely why not just use scorch??
Kambi is a hard card to play, for me it's just a mess around card for you to use in forfeit R2, why does it have any major use combine with the Ciri ability I designed?
Because scorch doesn't give you 8 strength points, sitting there safely from it's gold body (well that's going to change but i digress). And people still use scorch a ton. That should tell you something.

Btw what you listed isn't "skillful" examples of applications of the new ciri, those are just another reason to not ever release a card like that. It's very easily abusable.

P.S.: Kambi is a timer 3 card. With your ciri it becomes a timer 1 nuke card. Which means you can suddenly throw kambi as your second to last card in round 3, having demoted the golds of your opponent earlier in the round, and with ciri nuking your opponent's board.

P.P.S.: Avoid taking it personal. Your idea is interesting, that is for sure, but if you reflect a bit you can see why it's horrible game design that should never see the light of day in gwent.

Last edited:
DMaster2;n9375931 said:
Because scorch doesn't give you 8 strength points, sitting there safely from it's gold body (well that's going to change but i digress). And people still use scorch a ton. That should tell you something.

Btw what you listed isn't "skillful" examples of applications of the new ciri, those are just another reason to not ever release a card like that. It's very easily abusable.

P.S.: Kambi is a timer 3 card. With your ciri it becomes a tier 1 nuke card. Which you can suddenly throw kambi as your second to last card in round 3, having demoted the golds of your opponent earlier in the round, and with ciri nuking your opponent's board.

P.P.S.: Avoid taking it personal. Your idea is interesting, that is for sure, but if you reflect a bit you can see why it's horrible game design that should never see the light of day in gwent.

If passing two turns is too much it could always be a one turn thing, it's enough to shake up play, but not so crazy that it can be totally abused.

Cabowse;n9376451 said:
If passing two turns is too much it could always be a one turn thing, it's enough to shake up play, but not so crazy that it can be totally abused.
One turn is much more reasonable, altho i still think this kind of ability can easily get abused.

Skryba86;n9375071 said:
That would be far too strong. Don't expect it at all. Unless it were something like "if she's destroyed on your opponent's turn", like yencon's ability, otherwise it'd be very easy to abuse.

It will be a one time Deathwish, like her now existing ability.

DMaster2;n9376701 said:
One turn is much more reasonable, altho i still think this kind of ability can easily get abused.

Maybe, but there has to be a line on what is strategic and what is abuse.

Say for example the cow carcass, if you played a rot tosser and then your opponent left the cow carcass to deal with on the next turn and then you played Ciri, would that be abuse or a clever play?

How about: 5 STR, 3 Armor, Ability: after 3 turns return to your hand. This will make her vaiable in any round, regardless if you aim to win this one or not, but since golds can be easily destroyed now, it will be far from being autoinclude.

Lyserus;n9367581 said:
Ciri - 5 - Immediately pass 2 turns on each side without anyone play cards (opponent-you-opponent-you)

as long as powerful timer effects exist, this effect can't.
the whole point of timers is so the opponent can play around it, this card removes the drawback, making things like bork and kambi even more annoying

Alteration for Ciri

Firstly, I think a tweak is strongly needed especially because Ciri is such a unique card and is a huge committment to play.
The risk to even put her in the deck is ridcoulus regarding that she can be counter by being cleared so easily. At first you need to draw her - second round might already be too late, because it makes you gamble how to approach the first round - then you need to be able to play her and she needs to survive. The risk already, is to draw her in the third round or in the second round with losing the first one and having a 5 strength card with 3 armor that blocks a gold slot.

I got several ideas:
  1. Give her more armor, like a lot more. Ciri should not be able to be killed with one strike.
  2. Make her untargetable, with dimeritium bomb/shackle as exceptions. This would count for damage and boosts.
    1. Or: Make her invulnerable, this would exclude any kinds of buffs to not affect her.
  3. Make her invincible. This would mean she cannot be killed through damage - she would still receive it. Nonetheless a weakening effect could still banish her and deny her ability.
    1. Any kind of damage she gets sets her base strength to 1.
    2. All damage dealt to her converts into a weakening effect, this would negate the opportunity to banish her; And she would have the addition that she cannot drop under 1 strength.

The only suggestion I really like of them is the third - all three alternatives of it.

Furthermore this could add a new mechanic/tag to the game: invincible, probably a solution for kinds of Triss: Butterfly Spell and Yennefer: The Conjurer - as a topping.
In general it could be really interesting to have this mechanic in the game, to a non-inflationary extent.

All gold units that have an ongoing ability have suffered a lot from the gold immunity patch. If you make gold units untargetable, invulnerable or invincible, then you're adding another layer of complexity, while moving further away from the gold immunity patch. It would be better to use existing mechanics to "fix" gold units. The easiest way is to give gold units a shield. Another way is to give them a deathwish ability, like with YenCon; only it should trigger on both turns and be a little stronger than the current one.

4RM3D I don't see the issue of compexity in an eSport CCG. Complex is brilliant, complicated is bad.

On top of that, new mechanics are needed to constantly evolve Gwent, and that seems to be the purpose of CDPR. A Quen shield for some gold cards won't be a long term fix in my opinion. This could have been implemented with the hotfix in early september. But neither did CDPR tweak them in the hotfix nor in the 'Agile patch', we had 2 weeks ago.
If CDPR wants to change them, it will need to be a change and not a "We are sorry that those cards were not viable for 2 months, take this; To encourage you testing them and finding out you still cannot play them - not even casually....". Probably they don't think those cards are an issue, if that is the case I don't want to interfere, because they got their own vision of Gwent and I love to experience that nonetheless.
For another example, I don't like all those agile units at all, although I loved the mechanic as it was rare back in the days. Nowadays Agility takes away a lot of what I enjoyed about Gwent since the 'Destroy the servers event'. But they said, they got something in mind for the patch in 3 weeks about agility, thus I will try to be patient - wasn't a fan of removing gold immunity at first, turned out it got it's positive shades as well - I just hope it is less fragile this time.

I don't even think the issue is that she can be locked, destroyed or doesn't have enough armor.

Low tempo cards in general have become tricky to play because of several high tempo plays - not easy to catch up. Ciri is double risky in the current situation. First you have to find the right moment to play this very low tempo card and you usually can only do it in a round you can afford to lose. Then you have to get rid of this low power card, while risking to draw it again later (and sometimes you can't even mulligan her away because another card is even more problematic).

None of the suggested changes can really fix that. More base strength might help but in the current situation the right amount is difficult to find without making the card OP in some matchups.

Top Bottom