Emhyr mill is the worst thing to happen to Gwent in ages.

+
Checco515;n9498821 said:
I kept count from this hotfix's release, in ladder my score against this deck is 6-1-0 with a 25-cards deck.
What deck did you use? And did you play anything that thins your deck or not?
Sorry, I'm just asking for clarification.

4RM3D;n9499521 said:
Do you have a source for that? Because introducing Magne Division doesn't sound like CDPR had any intention of blocking mill decks.
And Emhyr is better for mill now, right? Mill becomes even more viable, lol.
If Emhyr is the same as he was before, I don't think mill would be this great. Silver Avallac'h dies to even more things than before.

4RM3D;n9499521 said:
Do you have a source for that? Because introducing Magne Division doesn't sound like CDPR had any intention of blocking mill decks.

Burza and Luigi told it during the gold immunity pre-patch streaming.
(right before showing new cards iirc)

Look at the official CDPR twitch channel, they keep old streaming record.

overcold_ice;n9499641 said:
What deck did you use? And did you play anything that thins your deck or not? Sorry, I'm just asking for clarification.

I use a ST Francesca weather-movement deck, only way I thin is BMC and Wardancers.

Checco515;n9499831 said:
I use a ST Francesca weather-movement deck, only way I thin is BMC and Wardancers.

I see. The weather pretty much beats mill. I've never experienced much weather with my mill deck. I could handle Eredin, but I don't know about them gold weathers. I'm looking forward to meet this match-up.

Thanks for sharing.

overcold_ice;n9500691 said:
I see. The weather pretty much beats mill. I've never experienced much weather with my mill deck. I could handle Eredin, but I don't know about them gold weathers. I'm looking forward to meet this match-up.

Thanks for sharing.

So you were a miller asking for trade secrets...bad guy, bad guy:scold:

Checco515;n9500821 said:
So you were a miller asking for trade secrets...bad guy, bad guy:scold:

Heheh. But I'd still hate facing them, so removing this kind of deck is fine by me. Atm I'll try to get more experience and fun with it while possible.

overcold_ice;n9501411 said:
Heheh. But I'd still hate facing them, so removing this kind of deck is fine by me. Atm I'll try to get more experience and fun with it while possible.

Tbh, imo most of the problem is the match will last twice the normal time before knowing the result...pretty boring with little interaction.

Never lost against a mill deck ever! I am playing monsters and whenever i face a mill deck i stop playing all the cards that thin the deck and let him make me draw them in hand. They either forfeit half game, or lose round 3 by 30+ . One guy i managed to win against by 85 lol ( with eredin ).
Even though i beat the shit out of them everytime, it is so annoying and boring archetype as it forces you to play for half an hour for nothing.

WTF is going on today in Casual? Like, everybody simultaneously decided to play Mill - 5 out of 11 games! Preposterous.

Managed to lose only the first one, cause I was in a hurry and didn't want to spent half an hour to play one freaking game, then in the following hours I've managed to apply 3 ragequits in R2 and one in R3. You have to be really careful against this deck, but when your last card is a Vicovaro Medic and you have at least 1 Enforcer and 1 Brigade... well, it can hurt the Miller's feelings, I guess... Oh, and those Assassins - they can be really pesky against Big Gold Guy.

... the Sucker.

partci;n9532641 said:
I've managed to apply 3 ragequits in R2 and one in R3.

... the Sucker.

Be thankful that they "ragequit" (probably not the reason), otherwise it's YOU who is the sucker. Win or lose.

I've tried the deck a couple of times, but games are indeed quite lengthy and it's too much of a rock-paper-scissors situation like OP says. Not my cup of tea. And yes, they often just stall the game only to end up losing. Their core value is just too low, unless you end up drawing blanks.

@Marginal0 Nope, I am quite confident I would win. With 2-3 cards and 20+ PTS up in the second round, the snowball was rolling strong. They were seeing the impending doom and... well, maybe not a ragequited, but sadquited, for sure.

Totally agree whatever the op said... Played 5/6 matches against them, few wins too. I am too saying that this deck is not op but if player got succeeded in thinning then card advantage & length of game is huge.

And actually this deck players are much improving now by using Renew / Assire / Guardian so whole gameplay is like, Use Avallach if opp. killed him use renew then make him silver, If again opp. killed him use Assire to put him back in deck. As well use Guardian so whenever they use Magne Division in next round opp. only getting copy of lesser Guardian. As well they are using Operator on Magne Division for 1 more card.

So at least for me the big problem is not Gold Avallach but Bronze Magne Division. Please we really need hotfix on this as playing against this deck is waste of time :/

If you play Mill Nilfgaard, i hate you!

It's my opinion and i am standing with it. I am trying to reach rank 21 this season and always lose to a NG Mill deck, i am playing a NR swarm, SK discard or Monster Swarm. One time i won was because i think enemy had a bad mulligan. but honestly i hate playing against them. I know it still a viable deck and i am not saying they should be ban/remove it or people playing them are assholes but i hate this deck. Its like you spend so much time to construct your deck, study it but come along a mill deck that screw you, really other decks doesn't screw you like a NG mill deck. At least other decks you can have an answer. but for mill deck you know what the opponents are doing but there are just a few things you can do and most of the time (well, in my case) you can't counter it.

Anyway enough of this minor rant, can someone give me a tip against Mill decks as i can't seem to find threads how to counter them.

KDean11;n9694981 said:
Anyway enough of this minor rant, can someone give me a tip against Mill decks as i can't seem to find threads how to counter them.
You have to kill or stop Ava'lach. Once they demote it and replay it, that's about your only chance. You'll need to use Artefact Compression or Manticore Venom for most factions. Manticore isn't really used that often. Scorch will rarely work, as normally they'll have a bigger unit than 8 power on the board. If you're playing Nilf yourself, you have a bit more leeway and can use Assassins or Assassination to kill him. Anything that puts him in the GY will help disrupt it. But you'll only get 1 opportunity usually. Artefact Compression will stop it cold, as they won't be able to use Assire to get it back.

For NR, Radovid can help as he can keep down the Alba Spearmen.

You can also run extra cards (26 or 27). Two extra is usually enough to disrupt the mill strategy, just make sure to keep a bronze unit in your deck for when they start playing Magne Divisions.

The main issue is fitting in Artefact Compression, the fact that Ava'lach has a base 8 power, and that Emyhr's pick up order changed to promote this terrible gameplay. With the old mechanic of Emyhr, you had more of an opportunity to counter it, or you could even pass if they used a Shackles as it gives no points.

arubino99;n9695141 said:
You have to kill or stop Ava'lach. Once they demote it and replay it, that's about your only chance. You'll need to use Artefact Compression or Manticore Venom for most factions. Manticore isn't really used that often. Scorch will rarely work, as normally they'll have a bigger unit than 8 power on the board. If you're playing Nilf yourself, you have a bit more leeway and can use Assassins or Assassination to kill him. Anything that puts him in the GY will help disrupt it. But you'll only get 1 opportunity usually. Artefact Compression will stop it cold, as they won't be able to use Assire to get it back.

For NR, Radovid can help as he can keep down the Alba Spearmen.

You can also run extra cards (26 or 27). Two extra is usually enough to disrupt the mill strategy, just make sure to keep a bronze unit in your deck for when they start playing Magne Divisions.

The main issue is fitting in Artefact Compression, the fact that Ava'lach has a base 8 power, and that Emyhr's pick up order changed to promote this terrible gameplay. With the old mechanic of Emyhr, you had more of an opportunity to counter it, or you could even pass if they used a Shackles as it gives no points.

First of all, thank you for the tip. Highly appreciate it. You are right when you mention that you usually we only get one opportunity to counter this deck archetype. Like we only have specific cards available to compete with it. I really hate this deck. It's not OP in any why but a annoying cheese strategy.

Strange... Sometimes Mill is great, sometimes it is awful. Also, like any other one-card dependent deck it is very vulnerable to killing this card. So, lets see what we can do against it.

1. NK have very big decks over 27 cards. Mill is useless against them.
2. You can kill Avellach with some cards even in its gold state. Lugos the Mad can discard Harpooner and deal 8 damage or two Lightnings from Ithlinne...

So, in general, there is just another deck archetype which is hard opponent to someone. I don't see a problem there.

Really hate mill decks. How are these good for the game?

Title says it all. I am really surprised that mill decks are still in the game and appear to be stronger than ever before. The only way I can think of to counter them is to put a lot more cards in your deck but I wouldn't think the devs would really want players to be pushed to do that. Putting a lot more cards in your deck will usually make your decks far less consistent and I think that would make people not want to play. The guy I just played was using a mill deck and I turned his Silver and Gold mill cards to statues as soon as I could and yet he was still easily able to mill me out and win with superior card advantage. I don't get what the point is of this play style being in the game. I find it just as annoying as weather has ever been in the games development. Hell I have been able to counter weather in any of the game past patches but mill decks are just so hard to deal with. Thanks.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Havent faced a mill deck in a while. I like the concept of having a different goal (emptying your opponent's deck) than just putting points faster than your opponent, since it downplays the importance of tempo, but its really unfair how hard it is to counter it, specially when its with Emhyr (im the only idiot i've seen using a Calveit mill deck...)

Still, i dont see how you had trouble with a mill deck if you artefact compressed Avallach ASAP, i can't think of a better counter to milling.

StrykerxS77x thread merged

Muzzle on Avallac'h + Compress on Albrich = RIP Millgaard

Anyhow...

4RM3D;n9463261 said:
I like the deck because of the special win condition, other than just buff everything or kill everything. But even I have to admit that the mill archetype can get out of hand, if left unchecked. I do like alternative win conditions and because of the nature of Gwent (compared to other CCG), there is less choice in that regard.

Every deck has an Achilles' Heel, just like Mill. When you have too many thinning cards, you are in a bad spot. But at the same time, if you either have a lot of control or a good power swing, you can outplay Mill. Never mind the fact that mill needs to have specific cards to win and doesn't have much inherent power.

Top Bottom