A morale system in Gwent

+
A morale system in Gwent

Here is a system I was thinking about which could be interesting to implement to the game because right now there is only one way of winning a game of Gwent (and please don't tell me about mill, this deck kills the opponent by getting card advantage which translate into more point in the long game so at the end of the day, you kill your opponent because you have more point than he/she does. It's a different way of achieveing that goal, I give you that but it's not even close to be a new way of winning the game).

I also feel like it could help to solve some recurring issues the game has and it's basically very fitting to the battlefield/army fighting each other theme imo.

So let's begin and of course, feel free to tell me what you think about it. If you think it's garbage, awesome, if it would help or in fact be negative for the game. Give me your feedback.

MORALE SYSTEM

Each player start the round with 2O points of morale (which...well, represent the morale of your troops). This morale counts toward your points total just as if it was strenght from units. Additionaly the player who reach O morale loses the current round.

Morale resets at the beginning of each round and the player who goes first after losing the coin flip could start the first round with 25 morale instead (but only for the first round). That would be a possible way of fixing the coin flip issue or at least make it more bearable (which is not the point of this system to begin with but why not).

Every time a player plays a card, he/she gain 1 morale. This bonus only applies for the first card played each turn, not the other he/she could play due to chain res, Dikstra like effects ect. I know it might sound like a weird idea but I think the system would be advantaging long rounds by a significant amount if that was not the case.

Some ideas of game mechanics for this system (please notice that it would cause a rework on the weather effects. The reason being Weather is the most fitting effect for morale and I can't imagine this system without having weather being involved) :

WEATHER :

Bitting frost : Reduce the power of any unit on this row and appearing on this row by 3 (to a minimum of 1) until the frost effect is removed.
Deathwish : Damage every unit on this row by 2.

Impenetrable fog : For every unit affected by fog, their controller loses 2 morale until the effect is removed. The same happens when a unit appears on the row (to a maximum loss of 10 morale).
Deathwish : For every unit on this row, their controller loses 1 morale (to a maximum loss of 5 morale).

Torrential rain : Reduce the power of any unit on this row and appearing on this row by 2 (to a minimum of 1) until the rain effect is removed.
Deathwish : For every unit on this row, their controller loses 2 morale (to a maximum loss of 10 morale).

Please notice that the deathwish triggers after the weather effect is removed from the row and therefore all penalty it caused are reversed (otherwise it would be bash insane lol).

Also, the reason for a deathwish is because 1/ I found it tactically very interesting and 2/ It allows weather to get some value even if the effect is removed from the row (which was the issue of the old weather effect). This way even if your opponent clear skies you will get some value out of your weather. A smaller one of course but some value nonetheless.

SPY :

Right now I feel like spies has the same issue as decoy back at the time it was broken as hell. Meaning that you can play them during one round and get their value in another, allowing you to dodge the drawback they're suppose to force upon you.

In my opinion it would be interesting to change their rule a little bit so that it feels more balanced and somehow more fair for the player who is supposed to receive some value to outweight the card disadvantage.

Each spy could be marked with the "opportunist" tag.

Opportunist : At the begining of the next round, if this unit is still alive and its controller won the previous round, convert half the spy's strenght (rounded up) into morale. (So for example if a player plays Cantarella and then pass the turn without dealing with her, his/her opponent will start the next round with 26 morale instead of 20).
And if you wonder why only half their value carries over, it's because morale is not a body, it's not as easily dealt with as a unit and I think converting the entire spies value into morale would be too big of an advantage.

UNITS :

Further down some ideas of how this system could influence the game with different factions. Of course, those are just some example but I think it's important to give some so that you see exactly what I have in mind with this concept.

This part also includes a few rework on cards that are very rarely played because they're usually considered too weak.

MONSTER

Specter 14 str (melee) loyal - Bronze
When you play this unit, your opponent may choose to make it enter the battlefield as a 7 str unit or counter it.
Choosing the first option causes a loss of 3 morale, choosing the second reduces his/her morale by 5.

Wraith 6 str (agile) loyal - Bronze
Deploy : Put a "fear" token on a unit (can put it on itself).
(Fear token : Your opponent loses 2 morale (even if a unit he/she controls has the token). If this unit is removed or locked, that player gain 2 morale).

Siren 3 str (agile) loyal - Bronze
Deploy : Bound a unit. Every effect that affects the Siren (tokens, damage, lock...) will also affect the bounded unit.
(Not directly linked to the morale system but an idea I wanted to suggest which helps with this mechanic).

Anabelle 8 str (agile) loyal - Gold
Deploy : Spawn 3 rats on a random row on the opposing side. Whenever a unit you control dies, spawn a rat on a random row on the opposing side.

(Rat - bronze, spy) 1 str bronze token - Reduces its controller's morale by 1. When removed or locked, that player gain 1 morale.

SKELLIGE

White Whale 12 str (Ranged) loyal - Silver
Whenever this unit is in your graveyard, if an opponent targets a unit in it, he loses morale equal to its strenght.

NORTHEN REALM

Aretuza adept 3 str (siege) loyal - Bronze (rework)
Deploy : Cast a torrential rain from your deck or remove a weather effect from any row on your opponent's side of the board.

Siege tower 7 str (agile) loyal - Bronze (rework)
Machine
Your opponent loses 1 morale every time a Northem realm machine ally is played.
Fresh crew : Boost self by 3.

Bell of the Eternal fire 4 str (Siege) loyal - Silver
Machine, doomed, stubborn
Deploy : Destroy a friendly mage or dopler, your opponent loses morale equal to its base strenght.

SCOIA'TAEL

Guardian of Brokilon 6 str (agile) loyal - Bronze
Dryad, soldier
Whenever a dryad appears on your side, boost self by 1
Whenever you gain morale (except for playing a card), streghten self by 1
Deploy : Gain 2 armor.

Polymorphist 10 str (agile) loyal - Bronze
Dryad
Deploy : Replace any race tag of a unit (vampire, dwarf, elf...) by "dryad".

Daughter of the forest 5 str (agile) loyal - Bronze
Dryad
Whenever a friendly dryad appears on your side, you gain 2 morale.

NILFGAARD

Alba armored knight 7 str (agile) loyal - Bronze
Every turn at the beginning of your turn, if there is more or as many units on the opposing row, spawn a squire.

(squire : 2 str loyal token with no ability and the "soldier" tag. They would spawn next to the Alba knight)

Nilfgaadian musician 8 str (agile) loyal - Bronze
Soldier
Every turn at the beginning of your turn, if there is less units on the opposing row, you gain 2 morale.

That's it. Again, feel free to give me your though...
EDIT : I just realized it's quiet the post I just wrote. Sorry about that but I just felt very inspired today.

Last edited:
I think you mean morale (the confidence, enthusiasm, and discipline of a person or group at a particular time), not moral (concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character). Editing title for clarity. Let me know if I'm understanding it wrong.

EDIT: Also moving to suggestions sub-forum.

Last edited:
I was also thinking about a morale system for Gwent. Not quite like you've described, but something similar, to give players another win condition. Something like this must be carefully worked out... very carefully. As Open Beta will probably end soon, overhauls like this might be a bit too much and too late.

Rawls;n9530531 said:
I think you mean morale (the confidence, enthusiasm, and discipline of a person or group at a particular time), not moral (concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character). Editing title for clarity. Let me know if I'm understanding it wrong.

EDIT: Also moving to suggestions sub-forum.

True. Sorry, English not being my mother tongue it sometimes leads me to make that kind of mistake.....well, time to edit my entire post and change every "moral" into "morale" lol

EDIT : Done...I think I'm gonna marry whoever created the ctr+F command. That person was a genius.

Last edited:
if the game can't be properly balanced with a very simple win condition (play cards to get points), i don't think that introducing a whole new points system would make it any better... quite the opposite.

4RM3D;n9530621 said:
I was also thinking about a morale system for Gwent. Not quite like you've described, but something similar, to give players another win condition. Something like this must be carefully worked out... very carefully. As Open Beta will probably end soon, overhauls like this might be a bit too much and too late.

True but to be fair (and I must be wrong about that) I think the closed BETA status is going to stay for quiet some time.
I remember I've seen an interview of Burza (not really an interview, in fact but he was talking about the game, let's put it that way) just before the last patch came out and he said that the BETA will end when they feel the game to be ready to go, no matter how long it takes.

Besides, creating that kind of system doesn't imply to compromise any core rule of the game. In fact it doesn't change anything but just add something new in addiction to what already exists. For those reasons I think they don't necessarily have to be in BETA in order to make it.
I fully expect some new cards/factions/hotfix/update to come out after the official game release, nothing prevent them from introducing some new game mechanics after the end of the BETA (similarily to what happened in MTG with the infect system...back to those ancient time where I was a teenager lol).

RickMelethron;n9536101 said:
if the game can't be properly balanced with a very simple win condition (play cards to get points), i don't think that introducing a whole new points system would make it any better... quite the opposite.

Well, I understand your feeling but I think you're a little harsh with CDPR. The game is fairly balanced right now. The only real issues (besides the one that are due to the core of the game like the coin flip, card advantage...) are the Armor deck, some factions/cards that are a bit too weak compared to the rest (like some Golds that suffers from the new mechanic but it makes sense, this is a "first shot" in that direction) and Merigold hailstrom.
I might forget something but the current meta feels quiet balanced to me. Better than the previous which was better than the previous and so on...

GenLiu;n9539061 said:
Well, I understand your feeling but I think you're a little harsh with CDPR. The game is fairly balanced right now.

i've been playing since the closed beta and every patch had obvious balance problems; this one is no different. every time they make a balance change in the game, they break something else; something that people saw coming from a mile away. case in point: the gold immunity removal killing cards like tibor and conjurer

i don't believe the game will ever reach a state where many cards are seeing play, or a state where more than 3 decks manage to be successful in the meta. i've played quite a few cardgames through the years and every one was the same, at this point, i just learned to embrace it rather than hope for a wonderful time where battlecry and deathwish are viable archetypes (without becoming utterly broken and being nerfed to the ground a week later [mulligan style])

GenLiu;n9539061 said:
I might forget something but the current meta feels quiet balanced to me. Better than the previous which was better than the previous and so on...

it sure isn't. this patch has about 3 decks that work: NR with shani+stennis, dagon consume carryover, and decks with two gold weathers as tier2 (mainly movement ST)
the previous patch had about the same variety; monster carryover, skelliga cerys, and dwarves/NR as tier 2

the patch before that was probably the worst, with all the frost spam going on, but the previous one had about three decks as well (skelliga res, monsters with carryover, and NG tempo)

TLDR: every patch has 2-3 decks on tier 1, with at most a couple of decks on tier 2

RickMelethron;n9541241 said:
i've been playing since the closed beta and every patch had obvious balance problems; this one is no different. every time they make a balance change in the game, they break something else; something that people saw coming from a mile away. case in point: the gold immunity removal killing cards like tibor and conjurer

[...]

the patch before that was probably the worst, with all the frost spam going on, but the previous one had about three decks as well (skelliga res, monsters with carryover, and NG tempo)

TLDR: every patch has 2-3 decks on tier 1, with at most a couple of decks on tier 2

I wasn't talking about the number of viable decks at higher level of play but about the general balance between decks at any levels.
Right now the tiers one deck is Radovid/Henselt armor which is very strong don't get me wrong but has nothing to do with Monster swarm which was borderline unbeatable unless you tech like hell against it or just play a deck that counters it.

Also, as you said, I don't know any card game on earth that is balanced...which means it's basically impossible to find the perfect one but you can get close to it.
imho, Gwent is BY FAR the most balanced CCG right now. If you take MTG for example. I love this game, I trully do but the meta (in any format, let's be honest here) is so tight that some deck has realistically 0% chance of beating a tiers 1 deck (even a tiers 2 or 3 deck actually, I remember that I brought a Living end deck at my local game store against other peoples playing modern....I didn't lose a single game and I played quiet a few...that was ridiculous).
We don't have that in Gwent. Every deck, even a random homemade one as long as it's not badly made, has some reasonable chance to win.

Finally, about Golds. You're right, the impact on cards like Unseen elders, Ciri dash, Tibor (oh my god Tibor...this card is so bad now) ect was very easy to predict but I think CDPR wanted to first try how the Gold system evolve (kind of giving it a first shot) before making all the change and bring the cards that are actually down back up on the next patch.
It's a bit annoying, I agree but if they end up with a great system and most of Golds are perfectly playable, I'm okay with putting a few of them asside for the time being.

Top Bottom