Alteration for Caretaker

+
Alteration for Caretaker

In my opinion Caretakers potential is way too big, for the low risk of running him. His value is actually his 4 strength body, the power of the unit he resurrects (x2) plus the ability of that unit (x2).
So here is my suggestion to alter him:

Caretaker could leave a token after resurrecting a unit, having no ability - the token representing his victims/targets soul. Both the token and the resurrected part of the card would be doomed.
  1. Either this token would be a fixed card, for instance:
    1. Poor Soul;10 strength; no ability ; doomed
  2. Or it would be related to the unit he resurrected. For bronze card it could be the units stregth minus 4 (caretakers base strength) - no more than 10 strength - and for silvers the exact same strength as its original body had.
  3. Additionally he could spawn 2 more tokens to his own graveyard having 1 strength and no ability, being doomed; Just for a little synergy with Mourntart (old:Grave Hag).
In my view this would be totally fine, in a matchup without graveyard play from both players, this wouldn't really change anything; In a matchup with graveyard play on the other hand, it would make Caretaker less ridiculous. It would still deny that units ability for your opponent but not the raw strength. Still good against priestesses, Nenneke, Shani and Assire var Anahid.

Caretaker is one of the most balanced golds in the game, So thank you but no. Try using him against spellatel or foltest swarm and tell me what value he will give you! His potential is only maximized against skellige because they rely solely on their graveyard to win , and stealing a key card from them will disrupt all their strategy.

Michelazz;n9688251 said:
Caretaker is one of the most balanced golds in the game, So thank you but no. Try using him against spellatel or foltest swarm and tell me what value he will give you! His potential is only maximized against skellige because they rely solely on their graveyard to win , and stealing a key card from them will disrupt all their strategy.

You named exactly 2 decks in which Caretaker will mostlikely get less than 12 points value, while needing no setup at all and offers you to combine him with an Archgriffin to technically resurrect one of your own units. Thats the definition of low risk.
There are only a few decks in which you cant play him for 12 points and an ability, but compared to that there are a lot of decks in which you can get a strong amount of points from him.
My suggestion refers to a use of Caretaker that is too strong for that low risk and doesn't weaken - but actually strengthen - him in those two matchups you mentioned.

I am with the rest on this, Caretaker is fine as it is. Sure, sometimes you can get pretty good value from him when you can steal a tasty card in the graveyard. However, this concept applies to a lot of cards. Same goes for Summoning Circle, for example, or when you can Scorch a triple body. The fringe cases are what gives the cards a twist, which is fine as long as the card doesn't over-perform on average.

Mate, why even suggest such a change of a balance card, there is nothing wrong with Caretaker, just like Vicovaro Medics disrupting QueensGuard, and other key cards in different factions. Rather, it is better to learn how to avoid Caretaker from taking your most important cards in graveyard with caution, and timing.

All in all, I would say Woodland Spirit is a bit overpowering than Caretaker. Caretaker on its own is just 4 Strength plus whatever is in the graveyard, ex. if 10 Strength Skirmisher is in your graveyard, then that is 13 Strength + 4 Strength from Caretaker, which makes it a 17 point play. Other than that, rest is lower than 17 normally.

Regards,
byExeplar

Last edited:
Top Bottom