Problems with new weather + my opinion

+
Problems with new weather + my opinion

Hello guys, I made this post to express my dissatisfaction about weather and tell you how it should be in my opinion. I know, this is the 999th post about it. First of all I should probably tell you that I am not one of the best players out there, I play for fun as my spare time is limited, so this post is how a "noob" sees it.

I remember when weather was powerful and everyone hated it, including myself. But believe it or not, now I miss the mighty old weather.
I never played heavy weather decks, I did not play monster nor skellige axeman decks and it was tough playing against them all the time. Many were sick of these decks. People demanded a change and CDPR listened to their complaints. And they butchered it... Yes, weather still exists, as an effect, but it is so weak that i have won countless games by completely ignoring it.

I will write down what i think are the problems of weather. Unlike what most people think, the problem of the weather was not its damage ( I am not talking about the oooooooold patches)

1) Current damage is too low. The average value of a bronze card is now 8+. That means that you need at least 4 turns to make it worth it. This also forces you to play weather early making its play monotonous.

2) As a standalone card it is so bad that it can be considered a dead draw. It is useful only when played with aretuza adepts or WH hounds.

3) Most units are agile. This means that unless the whole board is weathered, you can play around it. ( Note that "1" means that the board will be weathered before you deploy most of your units)

4) Problem #3 encourages spamming as it is the only way to make it useful. What makes weather spammable is that it can be called by bronze units (although I am fine with them).

What the developers should do in my opinion? Buff a bit the damage of the weather but make it less spammable. How? Unless I am wrong, this seems easy in my eyes. Restrict the number of weather cards in a deck? No!

What makes weather spammable is that now it is AGILE. Agile weather is very bad in my opinion, it is exactly what it made it so annoying and easily spammable. We need to return to the old system where frost affected the front row, fog the middle, and rain the siege row.

Agility is what allows a Spellaetel deck, aretuzzas and Hounds to cover the entire board with weather. If you remove agility, this won't be a problem. You will know that:

vs monsters- front and maybe ranged rows are most likely to get weathered.
vs NR siege row is the most vulnerable.
etc...

Weather should be able to do damage if it is not cleared. But someone shouldn't be forced to cover the entire board to make it useful. Weather dependent decks should add more weather cards other than only frost or only rain cards.

Making weather (and most of the units) agile is what created the problem of weather spam and cheese decks like the old axe+frost decks viable.

Nerfing its damage improved the game. It is more enjoyable now. But it did not solve the problem. It just eliminated it.

Last edited:
CDPR is planning a major patch which plays into the agility of units. I do not know which shape it takes or if weather is also affected. Regardless, we really have to wait and see what the effects are before suggesting any new changes.

As for the weather damage, I think it's in the right spot right now. The amount of weather being played seems to be okay too. Weather might actually still be a little too popular, but you cannot find a perfect balance.

The thing I do agree on is that vanilla weather is almost never played. It's usually combo'd with Adepts, Hounds and the like. The problem is that this is difficult to fix. Because if you buff vanilla weather, then you automatically also buff the units that summon these effects.

One row weather by itself offers very low tempo. Plus playing it with a corresponding unit thins your deck.

Top Bottom