The entire Northern Realm faction needs a buff

+
Im NR through and through... and I'm about to throw my controller at my tv. Is there ANY way to beat the Elven deck which just uses special special special cards and then hammers you with shielded Dol Blanna cards all of which are in the high teens in the final round. I can't see how that play style is fun or engaging. No offence to Elven players but it is seriously unskilled and a cheap way to win. Any thoughts fellow NR players? My TV thanks you in advance.

Shabuti;n9829391 said:
IAny thoughts fellow NR players?

There are various ways to counter the final round, like Scorch and/or Villenmethingy. Those cards can single-handedly win you the game. The only indirect counter to this is ADC, which protects the other 2 units from being Scorched, unless you run two Scorches.

NR machines have no business with Spell'teal because there is little to actually hit. However, a Foltest Swarm deck can usually 2-0 a Spell'teal deck with sheer numbers alone.

What helps pretty well against those from my experience are Poor Flanking Infantry to win the first round. Even if they Alzur the middle card, you still have 4 points left, which you can interact with, f.e. Foltest or Field Medics.

Shabuti;n9829391 said:
Im NR through and through... and I'm about to throw my controller at my tv. Is there ANY way to beat the Elven deck which just uses special special special cards and then hammers you with shielded Dol Blanna cards all of which are in the high teens in the final round. I can't see how that play style is fun or engaging. No offence to Elven players but it is seriously unskilled and a cheap way to win. Any thoughts fellow NR players? My TV thanks you in advance.

Run 3 witch hunters and hold 1 until the end. You'll also need Lady Margarita to save the day. Farseer & Protector are VERY vulnerable to reset even with Quen, and Farseer have mage tag to enable witch hunter rally effect.

Normally you can get at least 1 win in first 2 round since that's what NR tend to be good at, and if you have both reset tool in hand spell'tael shouldn't be impossible to beat.

My deck for reference https://i.imgur.com/w4wk9LK.jpg

Skellige is another story

Last edited:
I'm saying this as someone that plays with NR since always (since TW3 so yeah, pretty always), play with NR is a bloody cursed damn of a nightmare. Masters of NR are actually masters of improvisation and imagination that even so are still terribly badly rewarded if they don't have the right luck, so yeah it's ridiculously unfair.

4RM3D;n9818641 said:
There are other ways for you to have fun with the game. Sticking only with NR, might not be one of them, in my opinion.
Of course is not. Why would be fun be beated the crap out of every time by the same decks repeatedly and incessantly without being able to do anything because your beloved faction it's a joke compared to others? Do you think that SK or MT players are not having fun with their decks? When I play with those decks I feel so nice, it's so good feel the synergy flowing between the cards naturally that even when I lost it's still fun somehow but with NR all I got it's frustation, even when I win it's not that fun anymore and that really sucks. All because win with RN it's too much of a pain in the ass.

The only few cards that have some synergy are the most easily destroyed or interrupted so isn't that the same thing that don't have any? I don't know many people who plays gwent but there is something I can say for sure: the people who really play with NR play with it because they like NR and not because it's a good faction or a good choice. They do it because they're attached to it and if I can be sincerious right now then I would like to say something: this is a curse. You'd better thank heavens if you don't have this problem with this game. It's a terrible nightmare indeed. Right now all my bets are in the Thronebreaker, maybe the new leader of Queen Meve and the upcoming additions to the faction can do something interesting, at least I hope so. Until then I decided stop play something that simply isn't making me happy. It's sad and improbable but I still have (a bit of) hope in this game.

Riigoo;n9829641 said:
I'm saying this as someone that plays with NR since always (since TW3 so yeah, pretty always), play with NR is a bloody cursed damn of a nightmare. Masters of NR are actually masters of improvisation and imagination that even so are still terribly badly rewarded if they don't have the right luck, so yeah it's ridiculously unfair.

Of course is not. Why would be fun be beated the crap out of every time by the same decks repeatedly and incessantly without being able to do anything because your beloved faction it's a joke compared to others? Do you think that SK or MT players are not having fun with their decks? When I play with those decks I feel so nice, it's so good feel the synergy flowing between the cards naturally that even when I lost it's still fun somehow but with NR all I got it's frustation, even when I win it's not that fun anymore and that really sucks. All because win with RN it's too much of a pain in the ass.

The only few cards that have some synergy are the most easily destroyed or interrupted so isn't that the same thing that don't have any? I don't know many people who plays gwent but there is something I can say for sure: the people who really play with NR play with it because they like NR and not because it's a good faction or a good choice. They do it because they're attached to it and if I can be sincerious right now then I would like to say something: this is a curse. You'd better thank heavens if you don't have this problem with this game. It's a terrible nightmare indeed. Right now all my bets are in the Thronebreaker, maybe the new leader of Queen Meve and the upcoming additions to the faction can do something interesting, at least I hope so. Until then I decided stop play something that simply isn't making me happy. It's sad and improbable but I still have (a bit of) hope in this game.

Not sure about the attachment, I play NR because of the sorceresses :D But yeah practically I play NR exclusively with a little bit play in ST, also for the sorceresses :D Sadly they are kinda unplayable right now, but still I maintain all premium card of them.

I have no problem having fun since it's really satisfying pulling my strategy and win with it in gwent, if I don't then I seek counter and adjust, that's how the game works. I even picked up reaver hunters again :D

What pisses me is there is minimum to no counter in NR card pool that's effective against skellige, and that's where I found my passionate hatred against skellige way back since savage bear patch. Ever since I learnt skellige have more revive than my removal I suddenly become very negative against anything skellige. Recent patches has shown a tendency CDPR is even reluctant on nerfing skellige while don't even bother to bash other faction like ST and NR to the ground. I don't mind tuning down OP cards but I cannot bear such double standard along with lacking tech option.

ResoundingBuahaha;n9829681 said:
I have no problem having fun since it's really satisfying pulling my strategy and win with it in gwent, if I don't then I seek counter and adjust, that's how the game works. I even picked up reaver hunters again :D

Win it's always fun somehow so there's no way to deny it. I said it's not that fun because it's really frustrating how some can do it so easily by just playing the same cards again and again (what barely counts as a real strategy, it's just follow the flow) and win just because it's too much op. NR always have to creat or find a different way to bring down the opponent (what would be great if this applied to all factions and not just one) and don't have a easily and reliable effective strategy with synergy at all. All strategies are effective in NR because the faction it's an easy prey but we can't say the same of NR strategies. It's still "fun" but it's more tiring and frustating than the fun so I can't say it's worthy when I look the other factions that rarely brings something new and creative worth of praise to win, instead just do the same.

Ps. Well I think like sorceresses that much can count as a kind of attachment somehow :D

NR still the pariah

Since the patches have been rolling out, NR is still getting diddly squat when it comes to any kind of improvement or innovation or new worthwhile cards. Higher ranked plays are a cesspool of ST, SK or NG; heck they don't even try to publicize any high ranked NR plays on the Gwent FB page; either its ST or NG. NG needs a nerf (I dont give a rats arse if you will blow the "NG is all dependent on the draw", their cards in themselves are of the you're kidding me category). The NR spies area a joke, Thaler is useless, Dijkstra (a spymaster in the canon) doesnt even let you choose the cards you get. The NR cards are essentially nonviable, Foltest is useless so completely useless. The medics have become jokes. The NR meta, as it is right now, is a one trick pony (cough Henselt Machines). The tempo buildup is so fucking slow. The devs don't seem to care about NR in the least. SO many reddit pages dedicated to the NR meta's limbo and yet nothing seems to be done for the faction. Its like you will be punished for playing NR dedicatedly. Also another intresting thing that I noticed- whenever Im playing against higher ranked players the draw is 9/10 times shit. Then there was that one stupid day when I got exactly the same draw in 4 consecutive matches, atleast try making the fixed nature of the draw more subtle CDPR. Will you devs ever do something to improve the NR meta?

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole premise of your post is wrong. NG is very strong, and current Henselt deck is almost unbeatable if it has a spy R1.

My opinion on Siege support. Currently too weak to control factors but OP when used with swarm decks and uncontrolled. Perhaps a way to balance this is to have Siege support units buff only machines but have a base strength of 9 so that it takes 2 bronze cards for removal.

Hey moderator where are the devs, do they even listen to feedback anymore? Will the game become another Hearthstone? If so please kill it already, better than that level of disgrace.

I would have another suggestion how NR could be made better even WITHOUT changing NR.

the basic idea is:
currently the armour deck of NR is pretty useless, cause you need so long time to build up armour of your units (with exception of trollolo). BUT: this could be a little balanced by giving OTHER factions armour in exchange of maybe removing some of their HPs => by this NR could remove armour of the opposing deck.

currently almost no other factions unit uses armour at all (this would maybe also give the developers some possibilities and ideas to make armour based buffs in other decks, like for example making damage +1 in case a unit is armoured)

first of all this would be fun (cause it is more fun to strip the opponents armour than the armour from units on your own deck), second the devs could add a lot of new ideas to the game (armour based buffs or debuffs (e.g. elfs could get more powerfull the less armour they have,...) and third it would add a little more speed to the game (instead of boring buffing up the units before you can remove something)

I've been trying to put together a decent NR deck for a while and have been using it exclusively for last 4 weeks - some thoughts.

I usually go with Foltest as leader, but have a deck built around each.

Against Monsters: wild hunt and their frost hounds = Kaedweni Sgt's FTW. They not only sack off the weather hazard but give you x2 points over the hound too - using Dethmold as a backup. Siege engines tend to kinda sorta work against the wild hunt dependent on which ones you choose, but you need some good "direct kill or lock" cards (Eskel/Margarita) to fully counter wild hunt decks. Against other monsters decks I've found that NR machine based decks can't cope wth wild spawning nekkers/arachas/harpy decks. Foltest swarm type decks are great R1, but leave you nothing R2/3. Final round mass power grabbing Vran warriors go down hard to Margarita (a real shame there's only one card of her abilities - she rocks, and would rock even harder if she had a higher base power) either fresh or resurrect using Shani, and that will sometimes be just enough to scrape a win.

I've found that against the other decks using NR is almost fighting a losing battle from the off; the sheer amount of extra carding ability that ST/NG/SK decks have leaves NR decks out in the cold. The ease with which NR buffing cards (Siege Support/Master, Knight Elect etc) can be destroyed and removed will stop most variations of NR decks in their tracks and leave you flailing around hoping for a better draw or using Ves to (hopefully) strengthen your hand a little - which shouldn't really be required.

I have won matches against all of the other factions, but I have definitely lost a lot more than I've won using any variation of NR deck.

I liked playing NR; the cards have some amazing art and some of them have some really good abilities (Margarita / Dijkstra / Natalis) - the rest of the deck just isn't strong enough.

Even though Henselt and Foltest are currently on top, the NR card variety isn't that great. All three NR leaders seem to run nearly same card pool (in particular bronze cards) with only other priorities.
The 3 basic Temerian units, 4 siege units(Ballista, Reinforced Trebuchet, Siege Tower, Battering Ram), Reaver Scout, Dun Light Cavalry, Siege Master/Support and for Foltest in particular Aretuzas and Witch Hunter and Ban Aard Tutor.
So with all 3 leaders together the bronze cards that are really used equal only 50% of the factions bronze card pool. While Nilfgaard and Monsters have a similar situation, both get a lot of units, helping to improve the unused cards, while NR hardly got cards that help including the unused ones.

For reverence:
Crach an Craite and King Bran alone use a little less than 50% of the card pool.
The same with Eithne and Brouver, who use together 50% and with Francesca it goes over 75%.

To sum this up, NR is definetly not entirely bad, but there are lot of cards that aren't used that much, but in contrast to other factions there doesn't seem to come much help for them. At the same time, it seems that all 3 leaders are pretty exchangable as they nearly use the same card pool currently.

Also, I honestly doubt, that the Meta will stay this way, as both Foltest and Henselt are not that difficult to counter with the right cards, so the Meta will surely change to counter them.

Last edited:
@FG15...
Yeah, card diversity with NR just isn't there; I would agree that about a good third of NR bronze unit cards I've never seen played by anyone else, and have never played them myself as they don't seem to have any synergy with the rest of the deck.

[edit]
Further to this I've been doing some research over past few days and have found that in all the NR decks and players I've faced, these NR specific cards seem the least played:

Bronze/Silver

Aretuza Adept - probably due to the random and limited nature of their utility - it would be nice if we could choose what weather to apply, and being limited to weather only makes them a 3 point bronze brick as rather than spawning the hazard you have to have it in your deck... so why not play the weather card directly and use the bronze space for something else? Seen them played once.
Witch Hunter - never seen them played by anyone; again probably due to their limited and specific utility and lack of synergy with any other NR cards except themselves.
Field Medic - whilst at first this seems like a useful card, again the randomness of their utility makes them severly limited early on; in later rounds they can be of help, but again the randomness of their utility makes them unreliable. Seen them played once.
Reinforced Ballista - only ever seen these once, and have less take away power than a standard ballista (when played correctly) in that they will strike one enemy once for 2 points unless you have the crewmen tag activated.
Tridam Infantry - again another card that seems to be good at first, until you realise that all it does is boost itself for points and armour and only then if you have another soldier in your hand; so not in your deck and not on the board....
Ban Ard Tutor, Sabrina Glevissig, Pavetta & Odrin - never seen them played at all. I suspect because in the case of Sabrina and Odrin they're too easy to stop their utility by opponent.

Gold Cards

Bloody Baron - never seen him played by anyone at all.
Priscilla - what a waste of a gold slot; basically a single Mahakam Ale on slow release.... seen her played once, and if you stop her before her deploy/count down is complete then the card becomes even more of a waste of a gold slot.
Roche - has a little synergy with Sabrina/Iris, but that's all. Severly underpowered for a gold card (when compared to cards like Iorveth, Coral & Bonhart etc) - seen him played once (and was wasted).
Dandelion - another waste of a gold slot (just imho) but he seems to have some fans as I've encountered him a few times.

So I think that can account for the lack of variety in NR decks - leader choice can sometimes telegraph your oppo what they're going to face as well but as leaders go they're all pretty much interchangeable - my favourite (for no particular reason really) is Radovid as he seems to be the most able and can even be deployed very late in R3, whereas Foltest/Henselt lend themselves to early game deployment to get the best out of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom