beginner feedback [PS4]

+
beginner feedback [PS4]

Hi everyone,

I started the game a couples weeks ago, most of the times beginners are well helped but there still some improvements to help beginners like me to be more comfortable with the game.

I will start talking about the 1st barrel I dropped (can't remember if it was during the tutorial or after a challenge against the AI).
The player is pleased to return 4 cards and on the back of each one there is the logo of the faction and then he has to pick 1 card between 3 revealed cards. Between these 3 cards the only way to identify which card belongs to which faction it's by its design/graphic on the left top corner, but this graphic is not the faction logo. So the 1st time I picked the card I didn't know where I would be able to find it in my collection. Hopefully it was a neutral card so I was able to play it in any decks.
I think it would help a lot if there were a text or logo under each card to remind in which faction it belongs. Also on PS4 it is not possible to check the card's effect by pressing L2 in this screen.

An other thing that still troubles me it 's when an enemy's card appears on the board with an upgraded strength. There is no way to know its original strength and then it is difficult to decide if it is worth or not to reset it (with margarita laux antille or dimeritium bomb...).

I don't know if it is intended to be in the learning curve but nothing warns us that resurrect a card remove the lock on it. So i learned by myself that it was useless to lock the "Clan Tuirseach Skirmishers" unit.

shaolin974;n9878291 said:
Hi everyone,

I started the game a couples weeks ago [...]

I will start talking about the 1st barrel I dropped [...] Between these 3 cards the only way to identify which card belongs to which faction it's by its design/graphic on the left top corner, but this graphic is not the faction logo. [...]

An other thing that still troubles me it 's when an enemy's card appears on the board with an upgraded strength. [...]

I don't know if it is intended to be in the learning curve but nothing warns us that resurrect a card remove the lock on it. So i learned by myself that it was useless to lock the "Clan Tuirseach Skirmishers" unit.

First of all welcome to Gwent!:cheers:

I try to clarify some of your troubles - have no clue about the PS4 version tho.

First of all. Every card got a coloured sash - probably thats what you meant with the left top corner design. It is Blue for Northern Realms, Black for Nilfgaard, Green for Scoia'tael, Purple for Skellige, Red for Monsters and Neutrals are Brown; This is the overall faction colour, e.g for the card backs as well. On top of that you should have a blue shining rhombus on the top right of a card in your collection if that card is new.

Knowing the Base strength is game knowledge you will gather over time and I think it is intended like this.
I know it is pretty hard at first, but try to catch-up with 'boosting-your-hand-effects' - by proactively counting them - and such to calculate strenghtes backwards. Maybe it will help you to note the base strength of units you see pretty often on a simple sheet, for you to look it up; By writing it down you already internalize such.

Locking actually effects ressurections!
For the Clan Tuirseach Skirmisher it shows in denying one strengthening after hitting the graveyard. This means it will NOT get the 3 strength the next time it hits the graveyard after you locked it.
Locks prevent Cerys,Olgierd,Morkvarg, Ronvid of Small Marsh, Lubberkin & Botchling to utilize their resilience through ressurections. Actively ressurecting them, does unlock them although.

I hope this was understandable for you and did not demand too much game knowledge already.

Thank you for your reply.

TV_JayArr;n9878591 said:
First of all. Every card got a coloured sash - probably thats what you meant with the left top corner design. It is Blue for Northern Realms, Black for Nilfgaard, Green for Scoia'tael, Purple for Skellige, Red for Monsters and Neutrals are Brown; This is the overall faction colour, e.g for the card backs as well. On top of that you should have a blue shining rhombus on the top right of a card in your collection if that card is new.
Yes but when you are a new comer and you are doing the tutorial you aren't already aware of all the colors of each factions.

TV_JayArr;n9878591 said:
Knowing the Base strength is game knowledge you will gather over time and I think it is intended like this.
Well I will have to learn by heart 700 cards :s

TV_JayArr;n9878591 said:
Locking actually effects ressurections!
For the Clan Tuirseach Skirmisher it shows in denying one strengthening after hitting the graveyard. This means it will NOT get the 3 strength the next time it hits the graveyard after you locked it.
Locks prevent Cerys,Olgierd,Morkvarg, Ronvid of Small Marsh, Lubberkin & Botchling to utilize their resilience through ressurections. Actively ressurecting them, does unlock them although.
I was playing Radovid Hero and I locked 2 "Clan Tuirseach Skirmisher". Next round the opponent played two "Priestess of Freya" to bring back on the board the 2 "Clan Tuirseach Skirmisher". As soon as the "Clan Tuirseach Skirmisher" hit the board the animation of the lock has been removed and the unit gets +3.

I agree with topic poster. Maybe CDPR can include a tutorial pop up telling us factions when picking cards, tier cards, and other things (which can be turned off by expert players)

shaolin974;n9878941 said:
[...]
Well I will have to learn by heart 700 cards :s
[...] As soon as the "Clan Tuirseach Skirmisher" hit the board the animation of the lock has been removed and the unit gets +3.

I know that is quite a burden at first. But it is definetly worth it. Although I don't agree with the direction the last couple of patches headed Gwent, it is still a great game. Besides you'll figure them out fastly, its not 700 different strengthes, most of similiar working cards share the same strength and with exception of handbuff Scoia'tael you should see the actually base strength before something happens with it, that will help you a lot.

For the Skirmisher, I guess I confused the ability with what it used to be - the other way around. The lock/unlock applies before the ressurection, thus it doesn't work as I said. The other examples I gave are supposed to stand true anyhow.

A year has past since I didn't know the factions colours. Therefore I can't really estimate what it is like. A tutorial screen as part of the tutorial that shows all the factions with its colour and explains that those are used for card backs and the badges in an example screen for a keg, shouldn't be too hard to implement and surely helps a lot.
Did they adapt the tutorial yet? I know a while ago it still prevented gold immunity to be a thing.

Another hint that probably helps you. "Weather always applies last". This, for example, means if your turn starts and you got a light longship sitting in fog hazard, pinging a unit on its right; It will first deal the damage and afterwards the fog will damage the highest unit on that row by 2.

Last edited:
TV_JayArr;n9879381 said:
Another hint that probably helps you. "Weather always applies last". This, for example, means if your turn starts and you got a light longship sitting in fog hazard, pinging a unit on its right; It will first deal the damage and afterwards the fog will damage the highest unit on that row by 2.
Yes I've noticed when my opponent put a fog on my Redanian Knight. The knight earned +2 strength and armors then the armors get damaged and the next turn he earned once more 2 strength and armors :)

I don't know for sure but i anticipate the single-player 'Thronebreaker' having a lot of stuff in it to bring newer players up to speed regarding faction identities and card mechanics.
It would seem like the logical place to put all that and in keeping with the style of integrated training stages featured in many games.
Hopefully, it will also challenge experienced players in later stages.

Odious_T;n9886441 said:
[...]
[Thronebreaker] would seem like the logical place to put all that [,explanations for newer players] [...]

Don't you think Gwent itself would be the right place to explain the game properly for newer players and therefore make it accessible in the first place?

TV_JayArr;n9887881 said:
Don't you think Gwent itself would be the right place to explain the game properly for newer players and therefore make it accessible in the first place?

That's the idea. But you're playing an unfinished product, those joining later won't know what was created first and likely won't really care.
All i'm saying is i think you'll probably get your wish but it won't be in time for you or the other rugged early-adopters.

Odious_T My english knowledge sucks, thus I need to ask, didn't entirely understand what you say.

You are saying that the "polished" version of the game (scratch beta) will bring such newbie features?!

Firstly, this is no reason not to request these features helping new players to get to know the game, it actually stresses the need of those requests.

Secondly, an open beta is as good as a full version of a game nowadays. The transition from closed to open beta was to get rid of matters that could scare the masses away; Playing a CCG that aims to patch and add features - more frequently than every 2 months - means it will never be a "full version" in its true definition. On top of that the open beta is the stage in which they should try to add these features to polish them in time for the release.
My point is that I don't really see the "upgrade" from open beta to full version, but I definetly saw it from close to open beta. Of course they'll try to get a huge patch going for the release - such as new leaders, more than 20 new cards (, a new faction) - and it is a thing marketingwise, but I don't think it is relevant as a player.

Odious_T;n9889291 said:
[...] But you're playing an unfinished product, those joining later won't know what was created first and likely won't really care. [...]
Thirdly, you want that until Gwents release no new players will join it?

Your English skill is waaay superior to my shameful second language ability - please less of the modesty. :)
I'm not trying to oppose your request - i'm just saying campaign is often the place developers choose to put tutorial content and that's where i'd expect to see it show up eventually.
New players are a good thing but Gwent has a pretty high skill-floor so it would make sense to have a place to accustom newbies to the game before dropping them into the cut-and-thrust of PvP. There's already a bit of that in single-player sections where you earn your leader cards and unlock online play but it's a big jump from that to dealing with human opponents.

Of course as time goes by even casual PvP is going to get tougher as more players complete their collections and increase their skill..
All i have to go by is intuition years from spent in videogames and the same dev roadmap accessible to all of us so i'm just speculating here.

TV_JayArr;n9889671 said:
Odious_T My english knowledge sucks, thus I need to ask, didn't entirely understand what you say.

The transition from closed to open beta was to get rid of matters that could scare the masses away

Thirdly, you want that until Gwents release no new players will join it?

I wasn't involved with the closed beta of Gwent so i didnt see the transition you mention.
What do you mean by "matters that could scare the masses away"?

Last edited:
Odious_T;n9889711 said:
[...]
What do you mean by "matters that could scare the masses away"?

I don't know the appropriate english word for it. The dictionary I use says "teething troubles", troubleshooting, something like that.

In particular I think of things like:
The crude UI - still not good, regarding the collection. Things like the tag-system weren't implemented and explained by hovering over it - It seems like this is still present on playstation;
[...] Also on PS4 it is not possible to check the card's effect by pressing L2 in this screen. [...]
The card count in kegs, showing the number off total cards and premiums of one copy - problematic if a card has different graphics and you are still gathering your collection as a new player; The card history wasn't always there; Abilities like the archgriffin didn't show you whose card you are about to move - although there was a little trick to see it; A lot of card descriptions were missleading - counters were not always fixed writtenly e.g.; ...

Also on PS4 it is not possible to check the card's effect by pressing L2 in this screen.
So it is in the Pc-Version. And I also think, that it would be very helpful, to show the usual information (like the meanings of "Crewman"/ "Regressing" etc.). Because, why not? Everywhere else you can see this information very easy, but you don't get to know it at this moment, maybe the most important one.

Top Bottom