Stop adding cards with RNG based effects

+
partci;n9930701 said:
Err... English, please?

So i was talking about Reinforced Trebuchet. How do i counter 3 of this card when i havent got enough locking cards (as the dwarf i spoke about), hazard card or anything else ? Nothing i'm fucked up losing 3 points each rounds, wow plus the matchmaking, my chances of winning are so high right now

4RM3D;n9933751 said:
[...] On average, the RNG player should lose more than win, but (s)he can always get lucky when the stars are aligned right. Losing against this can be annoying[.] [...]

Thats what I was talking about. But for that moment you only see that game as a player and not the x4 games that player lost with that deck.
And I was talking about completely random cards that seem to be added ( for the new game mode). Pyrotechnicians,Agitators like mentioned before, seem completely fine to me.

I'm disappointed in seeing how Spawn has changed to choosing from 3 RNG cards. They probably changed Eredin leader card to 3 random wild hunt units, and that's a horrible change. The better change is to have him only have 3 predetermined wild hunt units he can spawn. It's okay to leave out some units as the game gets more wild hunt cards.

Personally I don't see any problem with these new RNG oriented cards. Like @4RM3D said, players who opt to use cards that are not competitive or that doesn't fit a well constructed deck archetype won't be winning many games. You'll probably see a lot of random and weird decks on lower ranks of the ladder, but as you climb up you'll stop facing them, because players at higher ranks won't play silly decks and risk losing their work. It isn't needed to banish such cards from ranked, because this will happen naturally. Of course that some of these silly RNG cards may rise to a competitive level if not balanced correctly, and in that case, I trust CDPR to fix the issue as soon as possible.

Overall, adding these new layer of RNG, as long as it doesn't affect the win ratio of the competitive and e-sports scene, is totally fine and healthy to the game. Specially with the new game mode on the verge of happening (draft mode?). Some players like to have fun with random decks and doesn't want the stress of competing on the ladder, so the new cards + the new game mode will bring much more people to Gwent and increase its player base considerably.

I'm more concerned about what they're gonna do with the rows and all the row limit stuff...

Guest 4226291

Theodrik;n9942391 said:
Personally I don't see any problem with these new RNG oriented cards. Like @4RM3D said, players who opt to use cards that are not competitive or that doesn't fit a well constructed deck archetype won't be winning many games. You'll probably see a lot of random and weird decks on lower ranks of the ladder, but as you climb up you'll stop facing them, because players at higher ranks won't play silly decks and risk losing their work. It isn't needed to banish such cards from ranked, because this will happen naturally. Of course that some of these silly RNG cards may rise to a competitive level if not balanced correctly, and in that case, I trust CDPR to fix the issue as soon as possible.

Overall, adding these new layer of RNG, as long as it doesn't affect the win ratio of the competitive and e-sports scene, is totally fine and healthy to the game. Specially with the new game mode on the verge of happening (draft mode?). Some players like to have fun with random decks and doesn't want the stress of competing on the ladder, so the new cards + the new game mode will bring much more people to Gwent and increase its player base considerably.

I'm more concerned about what they're gonna do with the rows and all the row limit stuff...

I agree. The RNG cards I think don’t mesh well with the game, nor the “Choose One:...” abilities, but I dislike the row limited. Unfortunately because they want it to be profitable they want it in mobile, and so they need the row limit for that. Which is ridiculous in my opinion. Also, cards now are all apparently agile with no forced rows. I don’t like any of it. It feels like a reskin of hearthstone.

I agree. I hate card games when it has lot of unpredictable RNG.

But a lot of competitive or serious players probably don't run this card on their deck. I can't see any reason to play RNG cards on my decks. I'm not actually worry about. I'm afraid of troll players. They'll play these cards and one way or another they'll win with their luck. For example Spawning Merigold's Hailstorm from new Scoia'tael Gold.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...s-aa/9940791-about-refreshed-keyword-of-spawn

Theodrik;n9942391 said:
[...] It isn't needed to banish such cards from ranked, because this will happen naturally. [...] Specially with the new game mode on the verge of happening (draft mode?). [...]

In case you refer to my post I just want to clarify what I meant.
TV_JayArr;n9933271 said:
If they are designed for a specific game mode, they shall be locked to this game mode.[...]
I wasn't talking about banishing them from the ranked ladder, instead have them only available for the game mode they are specially designed for. The season events got their own cards as well, because they would be as stupid as those cards in multiplayer 'standard mode'.

mert41994;n9943821 said:
... But a lot of competitive or serious players probably don't run this card on their deck. I can't see any reason to play RNG cards on my decks...

Well, that's the problem - we want cards that everybody can play and not just to pick from the same ole same ole pool.

Raunbjorn

The thing I hate about the discover/spawn mechanic is that you can't play around it. You just pray your opponent didn't get a scorch or something...

Jeez I'm not looking forward to the changes.

They already confirmed its for the new game mode, which probably means draft. If RNG became too much in competitive modes, they'll probably balance it so that it's not so. Just look at what they did for Kambi and their justifications.
CDPR is a good company with smart devs. I wouldn't worry tbh

Raunbjorn

oxiarr;n9950711 said:
They already confirmed its for the new game mode, which probably means draft. If RNG became too much in competitive modes, they'll probably balance it so that it's not so. Just look at what they did for Kambi and their justifications.
CDPR is a good company with smart devs. I wouldn't worry tbh

Good company sure! Smart devs? Hmm...

Spawn RNG Needs to Go

I hate the new changes to Spawn because of the randomness. I can see why they changed it, because of cards like Eredin and growing pool of cards, but this isn't the route to go. Having a choice is always better than rolling the dice in a game.

Also, the devs mentioned they were thinking about changing spawn name because of how people were being confused, a topic brought up back in July by several people including me.

We should restrain from criticizing before we actually see the whole picture. So far, I am disappointed as well and was about to write a post about it, but I decided that it's better to wait and see how the 'Game's Deploy ability resolves'. One thing is certain, it will change A LOT.

DigBeak;n9959451 said:
We should restrain from criticizing before we actually see the whole picture. So far, I am disappointed as well and was about to write a post about it, but I decided that it's better to wait and see how the 'Game's Deploy ability resolves'. One thing is certain, it will change A LOT.

I see your point in the "let's wait and see" approach. I had the same attitude towards each and every change that GWENT introduced in moving from close to open beta, and never complained.

However, this time is different for me. This change demolishes one of the game features that convinced me to play GWENT in the first place, which is consistency, keeping track on what my opponent is likely to play and react accordingly. Some of us have already experience with the Spawn-Discover mechanic. I have it, and in light of that experience I'm strongly against it.

Sure I heard a streamer describing how it will be fun to have the "surprise" factor in the game and how it is going to be refreshing. I beg to differ. I can easily picture the same streamer salty and upset, as soon as his opponent "spawns" a key weather-clearer card or a nice scorch. There is not even a point in baiting a scorch or removing a specific key unit if out of thin air, your opponent can have access to it.

But we will soon have access to a new game mode, probably draft. It is good for those who are interested in draft, as for me I would prefer a tournament mode in which you can ban some decks, or a 2v2 game, or cooperative features, or the long-awaited campaign. In short I’m not keen to play draft, because I already had my fair share of experience with it and I’m aware that I don’t like it.

RNG is getting talked about alot here - do you all mean 'Random Number Generation" -? As in point totals?

If this is what you are talking about, the entire game is one giant RNG.

Now the spawning of a silver card from my hand is an amazing mechanic that I have been praying for.

Keep in mind if the game is meant to simulate a real-world battlefield scene, there are going to be some random things yes, and also there are going to be intentional things. I believe the one Random effect that is missing from the game is the amount of damage granted to each effect. Alzur's Thunder being a prime example. If it gave a randomly generated amount of damage from 3-9, there is no question it would completely change the gamble of how the card is played.

But its consistently a 7. So players avoid dropping 7-pt cards that can be zapped away knowing it's going to happen every time. Once a player uses all the zaps, then they start dropping the 7 cards. If zap was random from 3-9, players would risk dropping a 7 card knowing there is a chance it will survive a hit.

RNG, or random value, may be a thing from other games like HS and CR. It's also a way to make the game more exciting and allow more types of cards, and play styles to emerge. I for one, support it.

- welchi

Welchistador;n9964391 said:
RNG is getting talked about alot here - do you all mean 'Random Number Generation" -? As in point totals?

If this is what you are talking about, the entire game is one giant RNG.

Now the spawning of a silver card from my hand is an amazing mechanic that I have been praying for.

Keep in mind if the game is meant to simulate a real-world battlefield scene, there are going to be some random things yes, and also there are going to be intentional things. I believe the one Random effect that is missing from the game is the amount of damage granted to each effect. Alzur's Thunder being a prime example. If it gave a randomly generated amount of damage from 3-9, there is no question it would completely change the gamble of how the card is played.

But its consistently a 7. So players avoid dropping 7-pt cards that can be zapped away knowing it's going to happen every time. Once a player uses all the zaps, then they start dropping the 7 cards. If zap was random from 3-9, players would risk dropping a 7 card knowing there is a chance it will survive a hit.

RNG, or random value, may be a thing from other games like HS and CR. It's also a way to make the game more exciting and allow more types of cards, and play styles to emerge. I for one, support it.

- welchi
With all due respect to rng bs lovers like you, there are TON of other ccgs that have those "fun" stuff, hearthstone at the top. Can you guys PLEASE leave just ONE ccg that isn't rng infested? If that's not asking too much.

I'm not entirely opposed to the new spawn mechanic. As long as the potential options from a card are kept small, it's never going to be too bad of a card. Hell, to me its not worse than crap like Doregarray, or the other mages that have so many uses that you wonder why you settled for a card with just one. Regis: Higher Vampire already has kind of the same effect - and no-one really complains about him. The pool is still limited enough that you kind of know your options.

The trouble with it for me is it's just boring. It seems like it's on every other card revealed so far. Here's a bronze card with it, here's a gold, oh wait here's a silver too. Here's a gold card that gives you many random options, AND can do something else that could quite easily be it's own card. It's a little random, but more to the point the mechanic is overexposed and it isn't even out yet. Having it on leaders is just a step too far - a leader is supposed to do something unique and specific to a playstyle, but with Adda and Whispering Hillock, it just doesn't. I really hope they get changed quite quickly, neither are particularly thematic.

There is RNG coming in that worries me however. Giant Boar is a pretty scary card, killing off a random ally is just not a good effect and while it can be controlled, it's not a good precedent to set. I actually really liked a lot of the RNG in Hearthstone - the most fun I had was with random mage and hunter decks, where you have no idea what your own card is going to do. They should always be meme decks though.

SkippyHole;n9964581 said:
[...]Doregarray, or the other mages that have so many uses that you wonder why you settled for a card with just one[.] [...]

Those cards you are referring to got fix options to chose from(3-4), its not comparable by any means. As for silver mages they are pivotal in my opinion. Every faction got 1 with a clear skies, a bronze hazard and a bronze special; Perfectly fine.

[...]The pool [of Spawn-outcome] is still limited enough that you kind of know your options. [...]
Spawn a....
  1. Slave Driver ...Bronze unit from your opponents deck (up to 30 outcomes-duplicates included)
  2. Kiyan ...Bronze or silver Alchemy/Item card (11+/6+)
  3. Adda ...Bronze or silver cursed unit (20+ /11 already revealed for the midwinter patch)
  4. Isengrim:Outlaw ...Silver special card (28+)
see: https://www.playgwent.com/en/card-reveals; 9th dec 2017 21:22

Seems not too much limited to me. And please don't argue with the new game mode, we already had this.

[...]The[re] should always be meme decks though.

If there is literally not a single scenario in which they can have impact on games of players whom want to play controlled, skillbased Gwent games; You shall have as much "meme decks" and
[...]more exciting [...]
gameplay as you desire.

RNG is getting talked about alot here - do you all mean 'Random Number Generation" -? As in point totals? If this is what you are talking about, the entire game is one giant RNG.

The randomness related to the draw, considering how Gwent works, is quite low. Having a blacklist mechanic in the mulligan phase and the thinning cards at your disposition you can limit the effect of randomness. You can even combat bad draws with specific tools, Ves, Saskia, Ermion,…

The randomness related to a card effect is different. Can you imagine a spawn mechanic in Bridge or Poker?
  • I play three aces and they spawn an additional ace to give me a poker.
  • You play three aces and they spawn the two of spades to lose you the game.
In a mirror game the outcome is not decided by bluffing or by the sequencing of the cards, but by some random generator, and for that reason - by extension – by RNG.

Guest 4226291

sfruzz;n9964991 said:
The randomness related to the draw, considering how Gwent works, is quite low. Having a blacklist mechanic in the mulligan phase and the thinning cards at your disposition you can limit the effect of randomness. You can even combat bad draws with specific tools, Ves, Saskia, Ermion,…

The randomness related to a card effect is different. Can you imagine a spawn mechanic in Bridge or Poker?
  • I play three aces and they spawn an additional ace to give me a poker.
  • You play three aces and they spawn the two of spades to lose you the game.
In a mirror game the outcome is not decided by bluffing or by the sequencing of the cards, but by some random generator, and for that reason - by extension – by RNG.

Exactly this reason. Even the leaders were meant to support a specific archetype or offer a unique ability but now we have generic leaders which is just a gold that spawns. Way to many cards have a spawn ability which is stupid. Plus row limits, and the amount of other crap, I don’t like this direction.

Top Bottom