Temerian Drummer Change

+
Temerian Drummer Change

Why do I want Temerian Drummer to be changed? Mainly because it doesn't have any real identity. Boosting by 1 every turn is basically the same as the Reinforced Trebuchet, who damages by 1 every turn. Both are random, and the main difference is, which side is affected, besides the fact that the Drummer isn't able to boost himself, which is a slight disadvantage.
The next point is that the Drummer has absolutly no synergie with anything in NR. All he does is generate value over time. Comparing that to similar cards in other factions, the Vrihedd Dragoon does the same, but enables an archetype by that. The same with the Light Longship.
The Reinforced Trebuchet is nearly the same, but there are some slight differences. With Kaedweni Siege Support and the newly introduced Winch, there are 2 cards having slight synergies with it, even if the Winch doesn't help the Reinforced Trebuchet to be more included in decks.
Furthermore damaging enemies is nearly always the better alternative than boosting allies by the same power, as it allows the player to remove key targets and reduces the values of Gigni, Scorch and Hailstorm. So in nearly every possible case, the Reinforced Trebuchet is a superior alternative to the Temerian Drummer.

That leads to the next question, about possible changes for the Drummer. The Drummer is obviously Temerian, but has no synergie with any other of the Temerian units. So, a first step would be to reduce his base strength, such that he gets in range for the Blue Stripes Scout, but give him a boost on deploy, such that the strength reduction is negated.
The next step would be to make other Temerian units profit from him too. Nearly all the other Temerians are spamming units (BS Scout, BS Commando, PFI, Temerian Infantry). Therefore, I would change his ability in a way, that instead of buffing 1 unit per turn, he buffs every Temerian unit, which appears on the Battlefield by 1.
So, they are 5 strength, boost themself by 5 on deploy and boost all Temerian units which appear on the board by 1 after their deploy ability is resolved.

Yes, that is one of the effects, the Kaedweni Siege Support currently has, too, but restricted for Temerians. Maybe,that doesn't seem that great, but I would argue that they are much safer bet for spam decks than the Siege Support is. From my experience, a Siege Support only starts his 2nd round on your side of the board alife, in 50% of all cases, because there are a lot of tools to remove him. With 8 or more power, the Drummer would be out of this range. Furthermore, only triggering after the deploy ability of the other units is resolved allows it to play it before the BS Scounts and still get their full effect.

I agree with what you've said, up to the point where you talk about the suggested change. Turning him into another Siege Support is not very unique either. He should get some better synergy with Temerian Soldiers, though, but I am not exactly sure how to make him more interesting.

What about making him Boost the units on either side of him, but on different turns?
Turn 1: Boost unit on the left, turn 2: Boost unit on the right, turn 3: Boost unit on the left etc.

The Boost amount could be 2 (or 1 + 1 armor) to compensate for only hitting one unit at a time. He could also give a bigger Boost to Temerian units (additional 1 point or armor to them?).

(One of the Drummer's voicelines is "Left, right, left, right...", which is the reason I came up with this.)

Last edited:
Perhaps He could take the ability of kaedwani siege support, and Kaedwani could buff all' damage outputs from machine by one, kinda like wild Hunt rider with frost

Bleach25;n9973361 said:
Perhaps He could take the ability of kaedwani siege support, and Kaedwani could buff all' damage outputs from machine by one, kinda like wild Hunt rider with frost

In theory, I like this idea, but in reality, the Siege Support change doesn't work because the +1 point of damage is not equal among the machines. Battering Ram becomes too easy to trigger and Ballista is going bonkers then with its AoE.

4RM3D;n9972921 said:
I agree with what you've said, up to the point where you talk about the suggested change. Turning him into another Siege Support is not very unique either. He should get some better synergy with Temerian Soldiers, though, but I am not exactly sure how to make him more interesting.

I think it would then be the best to change siege support too. He curently is too much a jake-of-all-trades. Making him better support machines as his name suggests, and making the support for other units a bit less.
For example he only grants amour to normal units instead of a boost, but units who already have amour get 2 armour instead. Also he still grants machines 1 armour +1 boost

Regardless, Drummers and Siege Support always have a huge target painted on their back. Between getting Sniped, Muzzled or Compressed; they have a shorter average lifespan than most units.

4RM3D;n9973551 said:
In theory, I like this idea, but in reality, the Siege Support change doesn't work because the +1 point of damage is not equal among the machines. Battering Ram becomes too easy to trigger and Ballista is going bonkers then with its AoE.

Give me one theorical RedPoint then :smile:

The main point behind drummers is that they keep a marching army in time/synchronisation.
I think that by giving him a lower initial power but synergy with the other units that buff each other (3 power Blue Stripes etc) would be a good idea - then when he's played he boosts only but all the lowest power bronze unit(s) by one until they're in synch with the highest power bronze unit, and then he stops his buffing. If bronze units are damaged, he starts his boosting again to bring them back in synch by one per turn... if he survives long enough that is, so maybe give him some armour too so that he can at least make it through an initial hit from Triss/Alzurs or such.

Last edited:
Top Bottom