Coinflip, enormous issue in Pro Ladder and possible solution

+
GenLiu;n10656351 said:
I'm sorry but this is poor tactic.

1/ You can't tell for sure if you're gonna win or lose the CF when you swap her on R1, and she has a lot more value on R2 if you win it.
2/ You can't tell what deck your opponent is bringing that early in the game (the leader isn't a good enough of a clue), meaning you don't even know if your opponent is gonna dry pass in the first place (if he doesn't, you basically sacrifice one of your bigger threat for nothing...doesn't sound all that productive to me).
3/ Some players never dry pass unless they have an unplayable hand, dry passing has never been proven a viable strategy and dry passing doesn't increase your chance to win by a significant amount (it's not like the card advantage, for example...which you can get if you keep WD in your hand).

1. That's why you have 2-3 wardancers. And I was actually talking about this new suggestion when you know when you are gonna win or lose a coinflip.
2. There's only a few competitive decks at ranks 20-21. So you usually know by a leader.
3. They may or may not drypass. By dropping a wardancer you force them to commit to R1.

I am also not really sure how a poor tactic could get you to rank 20+. Could it be it's not that poor, eh?

Esmer;n10656871 said:
1. That's why you have 2-3 wardancers. And I was actually talking about this new suggestion when you know when you are gonna win or lose a coinflip.
2. There's only a few competitive decks at ranks 20-21. So you usually know by a leader.
3. They may or may not drypass. By dropping a wardancer you force them to commit to R1.

I am also not really sure how a poor tactic could get you to rank 20+. Could it be it's not that poor, eh?

Are you seriously believing that everyone getting to rank 2O or even 21 are skilled?
You're kidding right? I have to admit, that was a good one.

Also,

1/ Except you're not going to sacrifice a card that can basically win you the game just to deny a play your opponent may not do at the end of the day.
Now if you have both in hand, sure you can drop one on R1 but that's not because of the tactical value it gives you, it's more because you're Wardancer flooded.

2/ Even then, everyone isn't dry passing and this tactic isn't realiable. Going +1 or 2 on CA is however. And I knew some people who assumed a deck were what they though it was and lost because they were wrong. I'm not saying you don't have to adjust your play based on what you expect from your opponent but there is a difference between being careful and trying to bait key cards from your opponent and wasting one of your win condition on an assumption (even if it's a strong one).

3/ I guess...and then what? Since they would have played the round anyway. I think you're giving way too much credits to dry passing.

The obvious solution to the coin flip problem is to match people according to their coin flip win-rate. If you lose the coin flip in match 1, then you are 100% guaranteed to win it in match 2 (rinse and repeat). That way you'd get a 50% coin flip win-rate 100% of the time.

Theo_FP;n10661621 said:
The obvious solution to the coin flip problem is to match people according to their coin flip win-rate. If you lose the coin flip in match 1, then you are 100% guaranteed to win it in match 2 (rinse and repeat). That way you'd get a 50% coin flip win-rate 100% of the time.
congratulations, under that suggestion, at least half the time you'll be waiting progressively longer to find a match, and/or you'll start matching people at 2-3+ ranks apart. You haven't accounted for the fact that players aren't all that consistent in how many matches they play, how often they play them, how quickly they play, nor what ranks they're at, nor how how well they they are advancing. A week before it falls apart is too generous.. I'd give two weekdays, or a single day on t he weekend.

Hi,
Here is my coinflip suggestion for tournaments!

For now you just need to win two rounds and it doesn't matter with how many points difference you win the round. Let's assume that to go to the next tournament phase you need to play three games. So first game coinflip will be randomized as usual. But the second game will start always the one who was second in the first game to somehow equalize two games. And now the most interesting - third and final game. Now all points for each player from two previous games will be calculated and player who will get more points will have possibility to choose who starts the final game. In this case all points will matter! If player wins the round with huge advantage it may affect points total difference. Players need both strategy to win the game and tactics to make best choices and moves during all rounds. I think it will make fair sense because players will use their skills in every round and every play to get as much points advantage in every round. The result may be that most of the time the most skilled player will get more total points advantage to reward him with advantage in the final game! Same will go for five games battles but points advantage total will apply to the fifth game then.

I do not know on what solutions devs are working now to solve coinflip problem but for the tournaments this can be a consideration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom