Improving Pro Ladder engagement

+
Improving Pro Ladder engagement

First of all, Pro Ladder is awesome, I enjoy playing it, necessity to play four factions is great and is really improving the quality of matches, at least in the mid season, when all players finished with the strongest faction but are yet to begin the final grind for a few points with it.

That said, it has one single problem, people don't play it that much. Reason for that is there is no point to play it unless you are expecting top 20 placement, because those are only worthy places, I would even argue for only the top 8 being viable, but I could be proved wrong if there is explosion of licensed tournaments with qualification systems.

There is painfully simple solution for this, give the participants rewards based only on their accomplishment.

Just transplant the ranking system for the regular ladder to the Pro Ladder, so 4500 gets you 20 kegs and powder and all that after every season. Small percentage of the elite players will have scores in upper 5k but those will be the people in the play for the top 8 and tournaments. I am almost certain large part of 4500 players would get crown points, at least 1 anyway so it how those 4500 will be graded with rewards. So inflation of the score and possible inflation of rewards is not a problem.

It is a win win, elite players get more varied competition and plain good players who are on the Pro Ladder but for various reasons not in the game for top 8 will get to grind end season rewards in the vastly more interesting conditions.

Added bonus is maybe someone discovers they are competitor material while just grinding for that rank 21 kegs.

This crossed my mind yesterday, after short break I decided to grind for the rank 20 and those sweet 300 powder, and I just kept getting matched with like the same Dagon deck, I teched up and got positive WR, but it is plain boring especially after last meta, so I decided not imaginary dust is not worth it. I got on the Pro after that to fill the dailies and it was awesome, variety of deck and great players, it would be far better to get may season rewards here when I already proved my worth by qualifying for it.

I think this is very reasonable and nice proposal, it won't be hard to implement, it doesn't require any changes to the Masters structure and regulations, it would benefit all players and with around 15k players (not likely to get much higher than 20k) in the Pro Ladder it certainly wouldn't lead to inflation of kegs and other goodies.

Please CDPR folks think about this, it is in the mutual interest of all of us for the Pro Ladder to be more engaging, more active and for all players getting something for competing, because even some truly great players won't see what the world looks like from those top 8 spots.

It would make it so there is a lot less good players in the top ranks for normal ladder though I'd imagine.

That said I have to agree a little with the problem so to say. For me Pro Ladder is like the new casual. Even if I lose a game I still get points. So it's my new place to unwind and play weaker decks as I have nothing to lose going there.

Exoclyps;n9607181 said:
It would make it so there is a lot less good players in the top ranks for normal ladder though I'd imagine.

Well that kinda is the point of Pro Ladder which is exclusive to the best ranked players on the regular ladder. But there will be good players on top of the regular ladder anyway, new good players will come and as a game grows they will make higher and higher numbers, newcomers each season replenishing the number of good players that have gone to the Pro Ladder.

So I think this is another non-issue that doesn't have to bother devs if they do something along the lines of what I proposed.

Pro ladder must have a minimum amount of players, 10000 players seems a good number. If at the of the season there isn't enough players qualified then rank 20 and so on must be qualified until reach minimum value.

If you have a low number of players you will have problems on match queue. I'm not on pro ladder, my highest mmr is 4155, I don't know if this is a problem currently.

Normal ladder MMR must acquired like proladder, a player must be good with several factions and not only one. Pro ladder is a kind of "Champions League" where you can get better rewards.

Last edited:
inacion;n9676891 said:
Pro ladder must have a minimum amount of players, 10000 players seems a good number. If at the of the season there isn't enough players qualified then rank 20 and so on must be qualified until reach minimum value.

If you have a low number of players you will have problems on match queue. I'm not on pro ladder, my highest mmr is 4155, I don't know if this is a problem currently.

Normal ladder MMR must acquired like proladder, a player must be good with several factions and not only one. Pro ladder is a kind of "Champions League" where you can get better rewards.

It's a bit of a problem, the wait can get longish, nothing severe but incomparable to the Ranked. It does owe to the fact that players are now using Pro Ladder as a Casual, to test new decks, relax from Ranked (overall MMR can't go down and goes always up if you are <400, and it is huge psychological plus for people) so it is far easier to get good streak going in Pro than in Ranked.

Having better rewards (not just better, even same rewards would do) would go a long way to enhance engagement of the player base.

I agree with the OP on this one. The Pro Ladder should reward the same things, if not better, that the Normal Ladder does. Getting on top of any of those ladders is really really really reeeeaally difficult, and it's almost impossible to commit to both of them. So why Pro Ladder players can't be rewarded for their effort as much? Specially about the cosmetic rewards, like frames, titles and avatars, since they are unique per season. It feels like punishing Pro players IMO.

Ofc that getting rewards from both ladders would be too much, so you could get them only once, no matter the ladder you're playing.

Last edited:
Regarding the copying current Ranked rewards system to the Pro Ladder.

Today I looked on Lifecouch's Twitter to see the news about GwentSlam 2 and I saw he talked about taking a break from Pro Ladder to get the top 25 dragon frame on the regular ladder. It is absurd, why would CDPR design the system that incentivised one of the best and most dedicated players in the game to take a break from Pro Ladder, why couldn't he just get the same rewards for being in top 25 on Pro Ladder.

I know he doesn't have to get Crown Points as he is Challanger champion and goes directly to both next Challanger and World Masters, but wouldn't the Pro Ladder competition be better if Lifecouch was there for those hundreds of games he played on Ranked to get the dragon border?

Many of the players I know in game or IRL face similar problem, some aim for position rewards like Lifecouch, but many just want additional kegs and meteorite powder, to improve or complete card collections, which they can't earn on Pro Ladder.

This system is making people prioritize Ranked which is not good for the Pro Ladder at all.

So Burza46, Rafal_Jaki and all other CDPR guys, please look into it, solution is very simple, just make rewards from the Ranked achievable either on Ranked or Pro Ladder, so only one set of rewards could be won, with same MMR and position requirements. Just copy them and that's it. Best 200 on Pro Ladder would still get Crown Points and nothing concerning rules on Gwent Masters competition would need to be changed, as those are in-game rewards that doesn't influence positioning or reward systems and funds.

I love Gwent and especially Pro Ladder, and I am only trying to help to make it better. This way more players would concentrate harder on Pro Ladder, it would have their undivided attention and it wouldn't be used like glorified Casual to test decks and joke around by large number of Pro Ladder players who even play it at all now. It would increase the engagement, toughen the competition and overall be great for the Pro Ladder, quality of which, I presume, is one of your main goals.

I won't bother you again with this, just wanted to give you my opinion, which some people share as you can see even in this thread.

I hope you will think about this and continue working on making Gwent better.

All the best,

Srdjan

The pro ladder is definitely designed more so for the top 1,000 players in the world ATM and not for people like me who can qualify for the pro ladder but originally thought I wouldnt have the time or same skill level of the top players. I will be honest though, before the pro ladder, I only played two factions, and now I play them all. I would definitely feel more confident and much more prepared for the pro ladder next season. Mostly people have mid season jitters and feel if they didn't start competing in the PRO LADDER from day one that they shouldn't compete in it at all. Thus the lack of people playing in this season of the PRO LADDER. We all must remember that the pro ladder is in its infancy, and that if there's no curve ball thrown into season 2, more people will play simply because they have a better understanding of the pro ladder concept, and the knowledge, missing cards etc that they didn't have before. The pro ladder concept was a secret and was just thrown at us with minimal time for players like me (a rank 20 with MMR 4200 to 4300) to prepare. The #1 reason I didn't play play pro ladder after qualifying was the lack of knowledge of the factions I didn't play and lack of time CDPR gave people to prepare for such a big concept like the PRO LADDER. I think CDPR forgot that they invited people to a SECRET EVENT and are around the best players and the game in general much more then everyone else. The only people who are going to truely be ready for something like this in a games OPEN BETA are actual pro players and extremely dedicated amateurs.

How many players are there in the Proladder exactly? At the moment only about 500 qualify for pro ladder due to their Rank 21 so if there are say 10000 players in the Pro and 10% fall out, that means Pro will have 500 people less then this season. Do you think it will be an issue for the Pladder with matchmaking and such..?

nemirni;n9730011 said:
How many players are there in the Proladder exactly? At the moment only about 500 qualify for pro ladder due to their Rank 21 so if there are say 10000 players in the Pro and 10% fall out, that means Pro will have 500 people less then this season. Do you think it will be an issue for the Pladder with matchmaking and such..?

I am currently #5009, and I didn't play a lot of ProLadder (22 games total). So there's at least 5 thousand players, and I doubt there're more than 10k.

And here's my big issue with the ProLadder: I would like to play more, but I had to climb in regular ladder (4300 atm).

Of course, it was obvious from the start that you have to play a lot to be competitive in the Pro League, but it's just frustrating you have to choose between that and the vanilla ladder.

nemirni;n9730011 said:

Esmer;n9731881 said:
I am currently #5009, and I didn't play a lot of ProLadder (22 games total). So there's at least 5 thousand players, and I doubt there're more than 10k.

And here's my big issue with the ProLadder: I would like to play more, but I had to climb in regular ladder (4300 atm).

Of course, it was obvious from the start that you have to play a lot to be competitive in the Pro League, but it's just frustrating you have to choose between that and the vanilla ladder.

There is approximately 15000 players in Pro Ladder, someone from CDPR told me. If Esmer is 5009. with 22 games, and people with less than 10 games are dropped immediately, I reckon some 5000 or more people will be dropped automatically, and 1500 more after that, so Pro Ladder will be like 8000 or so people, with at most 200 hundred people from this season, since many of the Rank 21 players are already there, so around 8000 people still. The trend will continue until Pro Ladder is consistent of few thousand players, and it will exaggerate the problems like match availability, competition will became stale and deck diversity will drop and so on.

What Esmer said, it is frustrating to choose for some, and stupidly easy for others, who don't think they have time, skill or cards to try for the top 10 spots consistently at seasons' endings and just drop the Pro Ladder as it doesn't give them anything unless they are on those top spots. In both of those cases Pro Ladder suffers immensely and it should be primary concern for CDPR and it should be addressed at once, especially given how easy it is for them to address it.

SrdjanB;n9731981 said:
What Esmer said, it is frustrating to choose for some, and stupidly easy for others, who don't think they have time

In my case it's time. Right now I am not sure if I want to try and reach 4500 in Ranked or just play more ProLadder so I have a better chance to stay there next season (because, obviously, I prefer to test decks in Pro League, not in Casual or Ranked).

Theodrik;n9677301 said:
I agree with the OP on this one. The Pro Ladder should reward the same things, if not better, that the Normal Ladder does. Getting on top of any of those ladders is really really really reeeeaally difficult, and it's almost impossible to commit to both of them. So why Pro Ladder players can't be rewarded for their effort as much? Specially about the cosmetic rewards, like frames, titles and avatars, since they are unique per season. It feels like punishing Pro players IMO.

Ofc that getting rewards from both ladders would be too much, so you could get them only once, no matter the ladder you're playing.

Potentially just get the rewards from which ever ladder you placed higher in.

Raunbjorn

What the game needs is a ladder that works just like the Pro ladder except it's for everyone. And an arena mode ofc.

what I truly don't get is why the entry to Pro Ladder is restricted.

it should be open to everyone.

After climbing to rank 20 and then switching to pro ladder, I can say with some confidence that the average pro ladder game has more deck diversity, more meme cards, and less player skill than the average rank 20 game.

Like Legend rank in Hearthstone, doing well in the pro ladder has no rewards for the average participant. This allows for "fun" play due to the lack of incentive for "competitive" play.

My solution is to provide some sort of reward to the top 50% of pro ladder. This can be a portrait, meteorite powder, I'm sure other people will have better ideas. The point is to encourage players to climb competitively and stay competitive throughout pro ladder play.

njpowell;n9933661 said:
After climbing to rank 20 and then switching to pro ladder, I can say with some confidence that the average pro ladder game has more deck diversity, more meme cards, and less player skill than the average rank 20 game...

Shouldn't this be the Regular Ladder, so the CASUAL players to be able to have some actual FUN with this game?

partci;n9935151 said:
Shouldn't this be the Regular Ladder, so the CASUAL players to be able to have some actual FUN with this game?

FUN in a GAME, NONSENSE :D

No one stops you from playing casually on the Ranked and bringing whatever meme deck you can think of. And get this when the month ends you will still 100% get better rewards than if you just played Casual mode, you will probably get to Rank 17 or 18 because you have to win like one of every five games to get ahead

SrdjanB

I am currently Rank 19 so I know how it works and it doesn't make it more fun, trust me.

Casual mode is rewarding only for daily rewards, which is OK, but than you have no limitations of what level/rank/mmr players you'll face, no restrictions to decks against which you will not want to play, etc.

Regular Ladder is where the salt of the game is - there are rewards and what should be a healthy competition. What has been explained for so long is, that the problem is the way you need to go to get to pro and than, once you are "pro", the ladder there becomes a lot like you play casual - sorry, but this is ass backwards (scuse my French).

Top Bottom