Midwinter Update is now available!

+
I tried to disregard all the negative comments before the update, but man...they were right, this is horrible. Looks dumb, feels dumb, a simplified card game that's not unique in any way anymore. I don't know what my opponent chose, what they mulliganed, can't see or understand what's going on. Most cards got changed, need to learn the whole thing again. My laptop works on higher temperature since update too.

DISAPPOINTED. Gonna take a break from this shite bucket update. I want my good old Gwent back, please. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Raunbjorn

Yeah I'm not gonna play it until they make Gwent great again. I hope people are having a blast cause I for one can't seem enjoy it no matter how much I wanted to. The cards don't have the same weight to it as they had before and why the heck did they change the name of the cards? (Yeah, I know "We mobile now".) The UI looks and feels cheap and plasticlike, the fact that the cards "shine" all the time is making my eyes bleed (luls) and the keg openings aren't no where near as epic as they used to be. I understand that CDPR wanna make big money but they will never be able to compete with Hearthstone. Please just to stick to your roots. Don't trade your unique game that actually requires skill (that's what makes it fun, not the RNG) for a bland and generic card game we've seen a million times before.

I'm not going to be playing until CDPR addresses our complaints, so I might as well save my kegs in case they finally make some of the rares into commons

Thank you! Exactly. This can't go on. I saved up 20 kegs before the patch to open them when it hit and I barely got about 16 new cards in total... Out of 115 or more! And this is not me ranting with 15 hours in the game, I have more than 750 hours in the game. The only reason I managed to make a couple of Moonlight decks is because I milled a lot of the increased value cards including Letho! For god's sake, common is supposed to be common, not even rarer than rare.

Amin017;n10040181 said:
So i'v opened 87 kegs today and i've only gotten 3 gold cards out of them...
3 gold cards out of 435 cards that is...
i just kept on getting the same damn cards everytime and ended up with more than 300 spare cards.
i think the card keg system is broken.

74 and got 5 golds one being a leader. Still too low.

I think it's a fantastic update. Congrats for a job well done CDPR. Please don't let yourself convince the above represent anyone let alone the majority. People who love the update is not coming here to complain.

Again, well done, keep this up.

1. I'm playing Magic: the Gathering for around 17 years, Hearthstone for 13 months, Gwent from start of 2017 summer, and some other card games. And I can say, that Gwent was most unique, interesting and competetive in it's own way game.
Yes, I just installed patch, didn't played it, but this "Create" mechanic seems to be too random, I don't wanna see so many random in Gwent.
2. Update is too early. At least you could warn players about date and time.
3. Cards are getting too "casual" and simplified.
4. Was there any change in keg droprate?
5. Can you make some kind of highlight for freshly nerfed cards in game client? So players can instantly mill them, if they wanted to.
6. Will there be new challenges to get new leaders?
7. Deck builder + collection. Yes, it's great idea, but implementation is bad.
8. Why I cannot see exact amount of my cards? It's maximum "9+".
9. New mulligan window is great. I can see all cards, don't need to scroll them.
10. I don't like new card look.
11. Animations. They are so bad, I don't even know who thought that they're better.
12. Can you scale up "choice window", if I got 3 cards? 10-card look is awful.
13. Also more random from positioning of cards like Clan Raider, when I discard them with Clan Warmonger - it's bad.
14. Some cards was fully reworked and some got nerfes, why I cannot get full mill amount for them?
Unseen Elder
Regis
Cahir
Vernon Roche
Priscilla
Schirru
Keira Metz
Gaunter O'Dimm
Triss: Butterfly Spell
Yennefer: Conjurer
I've got Old Speartip. Why I cannot mill Slepping Giant for full value?
And many other.
15. Why I cannot choose amount of cards, that I want to mill? I don't wanna mill one by one.
16. Thanks for reworking Magne Division.
17. Thanks for removing different arts for one card.

ser2440;n10040781 said:
Thank you! Exactly. This can't go on. I saved up 20 kegs before the patch to open them when it hit and I barely got about 16 new cards in total... Out of 115 or more! And this is not me ranting with 15 hours in the game, I have more than 750 hours in the game. The only reason I managed to make a couple of Moonlight decks is because I milled a lot of the increased value cards including Letho! For god's sake, common is supposed to be common, not even rarer than rare.
Yeah, it's just bad all around. Once I got to thinking about it, I decided to mill every copy of the "full value" cards, since it will literally never cost me more to craft them than I'm currently getting for milling them. Nothing to lose, in other words.

Plus, I might get some of them back (for "free") when I finally open my kegs.

And since CDPR previously said they were adding more common cards -- presumably by changing some older rares to common -- but haven't done so yet, there's no real incentive for me to open kegs until they do.

If I buy starter pack now, will it be recognized by GOG as money spent during christmas sale? Hard west is at stake...

Guest 4226291

This Update is a Step-Back

Here are my issues with this:

- The overall cheapness and dullness with overtly bright tones on the colours and backgrounds. Even the taunt text background is more bland.

- The new mulligan screen and graveyard scroll is poorly positioned. Especially with spawn cards when it just sits in the top-left and it feels out of place.

- Ridiculous font change for no reason.

- Some console players (me included) don’t have access to the Holiday Keg sale.

- Changing names arbitrarily with no rhyme or reason. Some characters cards now only list their last name or first name and sometimes both. Dropping Emhyr’s full name and then keeping Harald’s nickname in. Removing names that have added some flavour to the card like “Biting” frost and the other weather cards.

- Removing abilities and cards. Like Veteran, Quen, etc. I really don’t get this. Is this game really trying to be so noob-friendly any abilities or cards that require some skill to use effectively must be removed?

- Slow Frame Rate on console. Collection/Deck builder is better that it’s combined but the UI sucks and feels clunkier and more restrictive.

- Many bugs and glitches when navigating menus or the shop or collections.

The new plus and minus is okay but the new sound effects suck so much compared to what they were.

My biggest problem is apparently removing features here so it is identicle to the mobile version eventually coming out. The simplification of the game and the addition of a lot of RNG cards including leaders that are like this. No new challenges for us to get new leaders, we have to manually scrap them (Idc if it’s coming later it’s not here now).

Gwent on console and PC should be of higher quality than the mobile version coming out not completely identicle. Moving in this direction is a huge mistake I believe

**Sorry if anything is misspelled or doesn’t make sense, I’m running on no sleep and I can’t even kee my eyes open to write this. It’s taken like 30 minutes to write this post

Fully agree. Also bothers me that some cards that was nerfed to the ground cannot be milled to the full price... Like shieldmaiden was 15 power with a little pre requisition and 2 cards deck thinning (still hardly used in any deck, but still). Now it is 9 and basically does nothing. Or can someone tell an insane combo I might have missed with them?

The following cards will have increased value for milling for 3 days following the release of the patch (more on this below):
  • Old Speartip
But Sleeping Giant is what u get from the old card, please fix this.

There are ALOT of changes to main mechanics and powers on cards without the ability to mill for full value. I'd say significant changes. Are the mill for full value lists always so small?

Totally Agreed ! It feels like playing on an emulator with not enough RAM.

The user interface is blocky, vector-ish.
Jerky animations.
There doesn't seem like there are any animation transitions.
Everything seems smaller --tiny. Text is more difficult to read, art work is diminished.

It's just ugly.

Nothing really has improved for console play, still can't even view what cards are left in my deck. Cries of "Use Pencil & Paper" aren't realistic. There are more advantages with the mods that are out, especially in competitive play.

One thing I can say, that is positive, is being able to view the whole deck in deckbuilder, in stead of having to select 1 deck and waiting for it to load. But it's still ugly and small.

Maybe they are trying to port it over so they can implement some kind of mods for console, just knowing that would help make things tolerable. Without any type of reassurance, it feels like console play has been neglected or ignored. I had recently posted in Ask the Devs thread, and they said there was nothing planned for console development.

Totally expect PC gamers to start flaming this thread. Oh well, just giving feedback from console POV.

Guest 4159620

dgabor82;n10042701 said:
Now it is 9 and basically does nothing. Or can someone tell an insane combo I might have missed with them?

now they are 100% equal with arachas, temerian infantry, alba pikeman and mahakam volunteers

'several factions you can choose each offering a different playstyle' (rhetaz)

I'm not seeing it in my game. What is the rate? 25 kegs for $?

Font is clearer. The midwinter challenge is engaging and is teaching me some of the card changes and mechanics. Never really liked the idea of learning modified cards for just one match. Nice!

Whoa, the cards come out in a very jerky manner and the animations aren't smooth either.

Last edited:
Has anyone else been thinking that cards don't flow on and off the board as smoothly as they used to? For example when the calvary cards in NR would fly out of the deck when the opponent had 20 points more than you I liked the sound and animation. Now the sound seems off and the cards just look like they are thrown onto the board.

I wouldn't normally join a forum just to make a complaint, but as this is the offiical CDPR forum for Gwent.....

So far the new update has:

1) Crashed my Xbox 3 times - yes I've updated Xbox (there weren't any updates to apply) and each crash required hard reset of the console
2) Rendered 4 of my decks unplayable
3) Changed stuff for no apparent reason (IE: Royal Decree no longer pulls Muzzle - WHY?)
4) Removed stuff for no apparent reason (Quen is just gone from my decks that used it and I had a thing called 'Wyvern Scale Shield' in its place - which isn't a spell, doesn't provide the same abilities and boosts as Quen card and cannot be called by Ithlinne or other mages as it's an ITEM and not a spell card)
5) The new GUI makes it look awful (and may be why it's crashing my Xbox - every time it went down I was on the deck builder page) which has loads of small icons that I can't see properly (I'm eyesight impared - but could use the old deck builder without issue as they had stuff in words that I can read rather than an icon set that all look the same and are very similarly colored to the background)
6) Removal of nearly all Bronze spell cards (Ithlinne can pull Alzurs Thunder, Stammelford Tremors and Epidemic - and that's it) so Ithlinne card is pretty much dead unless you particularly need Thunder x2 immediately right now - which appears to be Ithlinne's only purpose now as I've never seen anyone ever use Tremors or Epidemic. What a waste of a gold card - might as well just put Thunder in your deck x3 and have a different gold card instead of Ithlinne as there are various ways and means of calling bronze cards.
7) For someone eyesight impared, the red/green numbers that flash up over cards when you hit them for boost/damage don't make the slightest bit of difference; red numbers on a red card (monsters cards for example or cards that have predominantly red hues like Dorregarry - and same for green on green) just disappear for me and make no useful addition to the game whatsoever, but do slow it down whilst we wait for multiple boost/damage animations to play out if they need to
8) First Light - when calling either Clear Skies or Rally, the card art for Skies/Rally used to be different and were presented as two large images; now it appears as the same image on that horrible background - which makes it difficult for me to make sure that I'm picking the right one as there's no clear delineation between the background and card art (for my eyes anyway) so to me it looks like I've got Clear skies... and no rally card.
9) Hand card arrangement no longer follows bronze through gold ascending order; IE I can have a 2power bronze card sitting in the spot in my hand that would ordinarily be occupied by my highest power gold; any cards added to my hand through calls or spawns seem to be added randomly to my hand - which slows me down as I have to check each card now to make sure I'm selecting the right one.

As this is official forum, hopefully someone from CDPR will read this. I'm not a pro player - I only ever play casually and occasionally and for fun but this update has ruined the game for me.
Thanks.

Top Bottom