Update to matchmaking system and leaderboards

+

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
Update to matchmaking system and leaderboards

Dear gamers,

For the past couple of weeks we’ve been exploring the difficulties a number of top-ranking players have experienced with GWENT’s matchmaking. Knowing how important it is for you to be matched with an opponent just right for you, regardless of your standing on the leaderboard, we decided some refinements to the system were necessary.

The adjustments we’ve made are now live. They make searching for opponents faster and more precise, and the number of ranking points distributed after each match better reflect the matchup. We’ve also realigned the ranking for the top of the leaderboard, while retaining the relative order in the ladder.

These changes will mostly affect top-ranking players. However, we believe they will go a long way to reinforce the stability of the rankings and make GWENT an even better game for everyone moving forward.

GWENT Team

Last edited by a moderator:
"ranking points better reflect" ... "The changes" ... "mostly affect" ... "even better"

This is all too vague to mean anything specific. What exactly changed? How exactly have the calculations been modified? Without specific examples you might as well be saying "pam pam poram!, pam pam, poram!" like the redanian NPCs in TW3 :p

I just want to suggest something here...

I really like if we get different faction opp. each time randomly but different faction like...

Sk < Ng > St < Mo > Nr > St > Ng > Nr > Mo > Sk > Mo > St > Ng > Nr > Sk Etc... I mean same faction is not going to repeated continuously so that player will not feel bore to play with same faction twice or more.

Chaob_N7;n8965310 said:
"ranking points better reflect" ... "The changes" ... "mostly affect" ... "even better"

This is all too vague to mean anything specific. What exactly changed? How exactly have the calculations been modified? Without specific examples you might as well be saying "pam pam poram!, pam pam, poram!" like the redanian NPCs in TW3 :p

From what I experienced so far: Old MMR for victory +50, New MMR for victory +25, Old MMR for defeat -50, New MMR for defeat -30.
So in general it's just smaller numbers and now it's more difficult to climb up.

sund_F;n8967640 said:
From what I experienced so far: Old MMR for victory +50, New MMR for victory +25, Old MMR for defeat -50, New MMR for defeat -30.
So in general it's just smaller numbers and now it's more difficult to climb up.

People have reported getting as little as +2 MMR for a victory, so that's a whole new level of difficult to climb. It seems strange because it kind of cements positions people are currently in, so it's an advantage for those who climbed the ladder already, which is ultimately another advantage for people who buy kegs, cause they got to climb faster than f2p players. Those who have just gotten to crafting competitive decks and start climbing now will have a much harder job of getting to high ranks.

If the old system was so problematic for people who were at the top, it would have been better for the +/- point rewards to just diminish as you were getting above top 500 or something.

Last edited:
Brenex;n8969200 said:
People have reported getting as little as +2 MMR for a victory, so that's a whole new level of difficult to climb. It seems strange because it kind of cements positions people are currently in, so it's an advantage for those who climbed the ladder already, which is ultimately another advantage for people who buy kegs, cause they got to climb faster than f2p players. Those who have just gotten to crafting competitive decks and start climbing now will have a much harder job of getting to high ranks.

If the old system was so problematic for people who were at the top, it would have been better for the +/- point rewards to just diminish as you were getting above top 500 or something.

So I observed other players via streams and update is basically this:
Lower your MMR is - more MMR coeffecient you get (average win gives +35 at 2k, +20 at 3k, +15 at 4k)*.
So it's easier to climb from bottom, but it will get harder as you ascend.

*not actual numbers

I dont know how exactly the system looks like. But it should be someting like:

between 5k-4k mmr you get +10mmr/-10 for win/lose
4k-3.5k +20 / -20
3.5k-3k +30 / -30
3k-2.5k +40 / -40
2.5k-2k +50 / -50
2k-1.5k +60 / -60
1.5k-1k +70 / -70
1k-0k +80 / -80

Ofc this are AVG numbers, it shouldnt be flat like this. So if you are really good it would let you climb fast to the top 1k level. I heard that you get 25mmr on 2kmmr level, its crazy because if you have 70% win ratio (which is ridiculously good) you still need 100 games to get to 3k mmr.

Well, I like it. I'd rather be grouped with players of my caliber for a funner match. Thank you CDPR.
I hope you'll make an official announcement regarding the drophacking exploit as well. Got to take a firm stance against exploiters.

Seems to be closer to the same ranks now. I played a few hours and most the players had the same frame as me. Compared to yesterday most of the players had different frames then me.

sund_F;n8969490 said:
So I observed other players via streams and update is basically this:
Lower your MMR is - more MMR coeffecient you get (average win gives +35 at 2k, +20 at 3k, +15 at 4k)*.
So it's easier to climb from bottom, but it will get harder as you ascend.

*not actual numbers

You are correct, they have also confirmed that the regressing factor only kicks in starting at 2500 MMR (rank 14) here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6iecbi/new_ranking_system_is_pretty_horrible/dj5zb4j/

Chaob_N7;n8979980 said:
That's awesome! Why is that posted on a 3rd party site and not the official forums here?! The announcement we got above means nothing in comparison to those meaty details.

I don't understand either why they keep reddit more up to date than their official forums, seems counter-intuitive.

It still sucks for me.

From ranked 2 to 8 I always matched with people with my same rank.

From rank 9 every damn time it was against opponent 4 ranks above me. Got stomped several times.

If I wanted this I could stick to casual to get ranked people way above me to defeat me easily.

This has always been a problem with these types of game. I just started and am lvl 2. I was surprised to be matched up against a level 10 player. It's the only match I resigned from. Would it be feasible to require a min/max leveling system? like +3/-3 maybe?

Current mmr system is really stupid.
Please change the negative point at the time of the defeat to half.
70% of winning rate is too hard with all users.

Last edited:
@CDPR:

I really hope that your efforts to fix the matchmaking system in ranked, will also extend to the casual mode. If not, then please save us, mere mortals, the grief and either:
1. Ditch casual mode altogether, or
2. Create an extra casual mode for players of a certain rank and above.

It's getting really tiring, constantly being matched with players ranked 10 and above. Last week i thought i had seen the worst when i was matched up against a 17 rank player, but yesterday, the match against a 19! rank player really took the cake. I checked the leaderboard, out of morbid curiosity, and this pesron is ranked 325 globally!!!

Last edited:
bilbo.baggins;n9003170 said:
@CDPR:

I really hope that your efforts to fix the matchmaking system in ranked, will also extend to the casual mode. If not, then please save us, mere mortals, the grief and either:

It's getting really tiring, constantly being matched with players ranked 10 and above. Last week i thought i had seen the worst when i was matched up against a 17 rank player, but yesterday, the match against a 19! rank player really took the cake. I checked the leaderboard, out of morbid curiosity, and this pesron is ranked 325 globally!!!

I personally don't care about rank, since I play games to have fun, not to win or be the best.

Sometimes is a challenge to try to see your perfomance against vs someone 10 or 20 ranks above yours, and even fun if you ending winning the match by accident lol ! , but, overall, yeah, the matchmaking system could be better anyway

bilbo.baggins;n9003170 said:
@CDPR:

Who cares? Anyone can get top 500 globally with an overpowered netdeck. The game is totally broken (unbalanced).

soph912;n9020100 said:
Who cares? Anyone can get top 500 globally with an overpowered netdeck. The game is totally broken (unbalanced).

Reason why scrap refund for nerfed cards are a terrible idea.

In this way anyone makes the OP deck > nerfed > move to next OP deck

hope it was first and only time, or it will kill diversity...at least they would have to pay or grind to make the new OP deck.

Top Bottom